1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Flight180Victm

Halloween (2018)

Asmodo
2 hours ago, Arrows to Athens said:

"I moved away from old man Myers because you're argument is elementary."

Is that it? Rubbish argument with very little to no informative or logical depth in the slightest. It's easy to call it "elementary", but it's not easy to back it up. You are unable to refute my argument, hence your silly one-liners. If you possessed even an iota of common sense, you would know that my argument stands.

"You stated that I shouldn't let his age ruin the film because of things he's done in the past, like that makes any sense."

But how would it possibly make sense to someone who doesn't have any sense? lmao Myers is strong at 61 because he has superhuman strength, That's his character. He's mysterious. He's not your typical human. I cannot believe that I have to repeat this over and over again. It's almost as if you're trolling.

"Apparently, because a 20/30-year-old Myers did these things I'm supposed to overlook a pitiful looking old guy going on a killing spree."

Of course, you idiot! I'm not actively trying to insult you, but man, you're really bringing it upon yourself here. If Myers is the embodiment of evil and has unnatural strength that isn't normal and is almost supernatural, then yes, you should overlook him being unnatural strong at 61. How is that even a stretch? He's more than just human. And he looks pitiful? Because he has grey hair and wrinkly skin? Please do elaborate.

" That doesn't disprove the fact it appears silly"

You have unfortunately fooled and deluded yourself into thinking that it appearing silly is "fact" in the first place. And again, you're expecting realism from a slasher film like Halloween, even though I literally just explained how it's not supposed to be realistic. Myers picked up a guy his same height with one hand and nailed to a wall with a kitchen knife. That's silly, is it not?

"it just shows you're butthurt by what I said."

Butthurt? Yet you yourself seem so butthurt that you call me delusional and claim that I'm "brainwashed" by the franchise. Get a reality check.

" You're taste in film can also indicate you're limits of implausibility. "

First of all, bloody hell, can you not differentiate between "your" and "you're"? At first, I thought it was a typo, but now, I'm concerned. Second of all, what do you consider "lousy" taste to begin with? I love great films like Terminator, Jurassic Park, Requiem For a Dream, Halloween 1978, Home Alone, Pulp Fiction, Deathproof, Kill Bill, Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, etc. Would you consider my love for those movie lousy taste as well? Let's say I love 20 films that are critically appraised, 3 films that aren't as critically appraised and are independent/rated as average or mediocre. Is my taste still lousy? Where you do you draw the line? What's the criteria? And isn't taste subjective as well? It's like arguing that liking hip hop music is bad taste. So again, you're coming up with flawed and just plain bad arguments.

"To top it off you're avatar shows you're biased."

Again with the horrible arguments. I don't think I even consider them arguments at all, to be honest. Because I have a picture of Myers as my avatar, I am biased? Biased towards what? Man, cut the crap talk and argue some sense please. Just another weak and pathetic attempt to defame me.

" they aren't similar because The Collector is at least a decent slasher with good pacing, gore factor, and entertainment value."

And we're back to opinions and taste again. As much as I liked The Collector, I thought Fender Bender had a certain unique style to it and was a bit more original, and I liked the score. More gore and more action doesn't necessarily equal better. If that's your personal taste in horror movies, then that's your personal deal, and that's fine.

" Fender Bender is sitting at a 4.9 on IMDB, 3/5 stars on Amazon"

So you rate movies solely on the basis of their IMDB rating? And how in the ever living f*ck is 3/5 considered bad? If anything, 3/5 is good. You have a skewed perception of what is considered good or bad. I also mentioned critic reviews on the movie, and they were mixed, with some positives and negatives. That is not a pan.

" Moves at a lethargic pace"

I'm assuming you didn't like the original Halloween or Deathproof then? Again, more action doesn't equal better.

" with amateurish z-grade actors/actresses who seemed to have just stepped out of a high school acting class."

The actors in the movie already have an acting history and filmography. Laurie Strode was relatively new in the original Halloween, yet look at her now. Just because YOU don't know them doesn't mean they're rookies within the movie industry.

" It's not the about him needing a wheelchair because he's old, it's the fact he looks like he needs to be in a wheelchair. "

It's all about "looks" with you, isn't it? "He looks pitiful", "He looks like my grandfather", "He looks weak", "He looks like he can't even lift a fly", etc. How am I mean to take you seriously if your base your criticism solely on the fact that the thing you're criticizing looks like something to you? I know what you describe it, I just want to know why. And how does one look like they need to be in a wheelchair?

" I'm using logic "

You must be living in nice personoo land because what you're saying is far from logic.

" Why would anyone want to see a brokedown Myers go on a killing spree?"

I don't see a "brokedown" Myers at all. Perhaps you need to lay off the narcotics?

" I love fantasy just as much as the next person but not when this film suppose to be taken seriously."

Who says it's supposed to be taken seriously? Taken seriously in terms of what exactly?

" Would it be ok to take any other killer in any other iconic franchise and age him to the point of ridiculousness? "

If you genuinely think 61 is ridiculously old, then you need certainly need a major reality check.

" This isn't something I want to watch."

Then don't watch?

" We should expect more after waiting this long. "

I'm sorry, but who's this "we" you speak of? Are you claiming to speak on behalf of the Halloween fans? And what did YOU expect? A Halloween set in the 90's, even though we already got two set in the 90's? Myers cannot stay young permanently. At some point, he's going to get old. If he's no longer strong because of his age, then that strips Michael away from his mystique and humanizes him more. Then what's the point? That's what you want to see?

" When you come at me with "I don't see how Myers aging ruins the film, everyone ages, Meyers is known to have superhuman strength" as an excuse when it directly challenges his intimidation factor, makes him look fragile and in turn spoils this "badass" image they are trying to create, yes, I'm going to say you're delusional. "

But it doesn't challenge his intimidation factor, make him look fragile, or spoil his image for me or for most of the Halloween fans that enjoyed the movie and Myers. Okay, so it does to you, and that's your problem. And please do tell me how Myers having superhuman strength at 61 makes him "look fragile". You're having a laugh.

" I don't have time to continuously argue with someone so brainwashed by the franchise"

Then why do you keep coming back to continue the argument? You make no sense, and you contradict yourself over and over again. Your persistent ad hominems aren't going to make your "arguments" carry any weight, either, nor will they make you sound smart as you try to be.

" so I'll just let you have the last word and defend this gem because God knows you'll probably never shut up about it. "

The question is, will YOU ever shut up about it? I mean, you came here and left a little review of the film, and now you're complaining about I won't ever shut up about it and suddenly don't want no part of it anymore.

" I'm just dumb sh*t on the internet. "

Wow You were actually right about something for once. That perhaps must be your biggest achievement in your life.

" Stop trying to defend the film like it's your child and get over it.  "

What do you mean stop defending it? If I like a movie, especially from a franchise I really love and grew up with, and you make a flawed criticism about it, of course I'm going to defend it. Go and criticise a Star Wars film and tell the Star Wars fans to stop defending it. Yeah, great logic. How about stop sh*tting on the movie like it attacked your mother and get over it?

I wish I could care about you liking the new Halloween as much as you care about me not liking it.  

Edited by Asmodo

Erased
57 minutes ago, Big_Smiley said:

Halloween 2 : Wheelchair wars confirmed. Both Myers and Laurie are old so lets see them chase each other on wheelchairs through the neighborhood of haddonfield, lmao. Pay good money to see Michael hauling ass trying to get Laurie :lol:

tenor.gif?itemid=4421181

Arrows to Athens
1 hour ago, Asmodo said:

I wish I could care about you liking the new Halloween as much as you care about me not liking it.  

I don’t care if you don’t like it. I’ve seen many people criticise the movie. But you claim to not like it because of flawed reasons, then resort to ad hominems to support your argument.

Also, how do you go from “Myers in a wheelchair would be stupid. How would I overlook that? How would that be enjoyable? How would that engage me?” to “I might actually find it enjoyable”? Man, you contradict yourself way too much.

1 hour ago, Big_Smiley said:

Halloween 2 : Wheelchair wars confirmed. Both Myers and Laurie are old so lets see them chase each other on wheelchairs through the neighborhood of haddonfield, lmao. Pay good money to see Michael hauling ass trying to get Laurie :lol:

Also what the hell have y'all done to the thread? Lol, guess opinions don't mean sh*t these days :turn:

Technically, it would be Halloween 3, considering Halloween 2018 is the new Halloween 2.

Edited by Arrows to Athens

Asmodo

But you claim to not like it because of flawed reasons, then resort to ad hominems to support your argument.

I gave a few reasons, you not accepting that isn't my problem. I'm not here to validate your opinion on it nor do I think you're important enough for me to care that you think it's a flawed. Saying "everyone ages" and "he has superhuman strength" doesn't discredit that he isn't menacing to me at that age or that it doesn't ruin the intent of the film.

Also, how do you go from “Myers in a wheelchair would be stupid. How would I overlook that? How would that be enjoyable? How would that engage me?” to “I might actually find it enjoyable”? Man, you contradict yourself way too much.

I said "Maybe in the next Halloween Meyers will go around in a wheelchair killing people and you'll be ok with that too". The difference in it being idiotic and not being completely stupid is intent. If the film is self-aware that Myers being in a wheelchair is ridiculous then I can accept it as cheesy entertainment. If the new Halloween was considered a comedy, I would be ok with it. Instead it tries to insult our intelligence while we clearly see this old guy isn't intimidating or in shape (no pun intended) to be this unstoppable killer. What is so hard to grasp about that? It ruined the film for many people not just me. You can't sway that opinion. 

Edited by Asmodo

Arrows to Athens
10 hours ago, Asmodo said:

But you claim to not like it because of flawed reasons, then resort to ad hominems to support your argument.

I gave a few reasons, you not accepting that isn't my problem. I'm not here to validate your opinion on it nor do I think you're important enough for me to care that you think it's a flawed. Saying "everyone ages" and "he has superhuman strength" doesn't discredit that he isn't menacing to me at that age or that it doesn't ruin the intent of the film.

I said "Maybe in the next Halloween Meyers will go around in a wheelchair killing people and you'll be ok with that too". The difference in it being idiotic and not being completely stupid is intent. If the film is self-aware that Myers being in a wheelchair is ridiculous then I can accept it as cheesy entertainment. If the new Halloween was considered a comedy, I would be ok with it. Instead it tries to insult our intelligence while we clearly see this old guy isn't intimidating or in shape (no pun intended) to be this unstoppable killer. What is so hard to grasp about that? It ruined the film for many people not just me. You can't sway that opinion. 

"Saying "everyone ages" and "he has superhuman strength" doesn't discredit that he isn't menacing to me at that age or that it doesn't ruin the intent of the film."

Finding him not menacing personally at that age is one thing, but saying that him being an old man at that age is another. So he's aged, and you accept that; it's just that YOU don't find him intimidating at that age. Obviously, I cannot convince you otherwise. People are different. And what do you mean by him being an old man ruins the intent of the film? The intent of the film was to go back to the original roots. In fact, many fans, and even critics, have praised the film and have stated that Myers is back to being scary again. So according to most other people, Myers WAS scary, intimidating, and menacing, seeing as you seem to base your opinions of movies on reviews and critic feedback.

So even after the brutal bathroom scene, Myers is still weak, pitiful-looking, not intimidating, and looks like he can't lift a fly? Even a teenager with very little physical exercise can take him on?

" If the new Halloween was considered a comedy, I would be ok with it."

Except Halloween will never turn into a comedy film nor will they continue to make Halloween films for another 20 - 30 years and make the decision to make Myers bound to a wheelchair. This is all hypothetical make-believe.

"  Instead it tries to insult our intelligence while we clearly see this old guy isn't intimidating or in shape (no pun intended) to be this unstoppable killer. What is so hard to grasp about that?"

Again, it's as if you're acting like you're speaking on behalf of all the Halloween fans by saying "we". Who's "we"? A good majority of Halloween fans considered Myers to be intimidating in the new film. If you didn't, then that's you. Don't act like almost everyone else saw it the same way you did. What is so hard to grasp about that? And what do you consider "in shape"? Like Myers even needs to be in shape to begin with. A mysterious, unknown evil that can survive gunshots and stab wounds with superhuman strength like it's nothing needs to be in shape? Again, you're expecting realism from Halloween. You just keep repeating yourself at this point. You will never understand because you take things way too seriously. Your expectations are irrational and flawed, but you can't see that. It's blatantly obvious to everyone else here. And when was Myers supposed to be a realistic character anyway? He's supposed to almost defy the laws of nature and seem supernatural to an extent. Him supposedly not being "in shape" should be the least of your worries. Myers in the first two films was only 5 foot 9 and was quite skinny-looking, and he didn't look like he could be this unstoppable killer, either, and he was more supernatural in the 1981 sequel. So your point?

" It ruined the film for many people not just me."

Many people? Is that why the film received mostly positive reviews, with many considering it to be both the best Halloween sequel and a return to form for the series, even by critics? Chris Evangelista from Empire states: " While it doesn’t capture the magic of the original, this Halloween brings much-needed closure to a troubled franchise, with Curtis excellent and Michael Myers pleasingly terrifying again." On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 80% based on 329 reviews, with an average rating of 6.9/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Halloween largely wipes the slate clean after decades of disappointing sequels, ignoring increasingly elaborate mythology in favor of basic – yet still effective – ingredients." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 67 out of 100, based on 51 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "B+" on an A+ to F scale, the same score earned by the last Halloween film starring Curtis, Halloween: Resurrection. PostTrak reported filmgoers gave it a 75% positive score and a 65% "definite recommend," and social media monitor RelishMix noted a "positive buzz" response to the film online. Curtis' performance was also singled out with praise. However, the twist involving Dr. Sartain being revealed as a secondary antagonist polarized critics.

Peter Debruge of Variety felt that the film brings the series back to its roots, calling it "an act of fan service disguised as a horror movie. The fact it works as both means that [director] Green [...] has pulled off what he set out to do, tying up the mythology that Carpenter and company established, while delivering plenty of fresh suspense — and grisly-creative kills — for younger audiences".Writing for The Verge, Bryan Bishop said the film was "better than almost every other sequel in the franchise" and "a fitting coda to a story that began 40 years ago", while Leah Greenblatt of Entertainment Weekly described it as "a faithful, fundamental sequel (and funny too)".In his review for Bloody Disgusting, Joe Lipsett wrote, "All in all, Halloween is a worthy entry in the franchise [...] Everything really clicks at the finale, which makes sense considering the film exists to pit Laurie against Michael. And in this capacity, Halloween doesn't disappoint". Jonathan Barkan of Dread Central wrote, "Halloween pays loving and respectful homage to the 1978 original while making a very bold and decisive claim for its own existence," also noting, "... this is quite possibly the scariest Michael Myers has ever been." Laura Di Girolamo of Exclaim gave the film 7/10 and wrote, "This Halloween doesn't redefine the slasher genre as the 1978 original did, and that's okay — it's not trying to. Instead, it's paying homage to the films that came before it and what made them work."

^ But hey, they're just critics, right? They get paid to give reviews. They don't really mean it. What do they know? You know it all, right? Right?

But seriously, though, out of all the negative reviews I read for the film, I've only seen maybe one or two other people criticize the movie on the basis that Myers is now an old man. So, where is this 'many you speak of? I'm really intrigued to know.

Edited by Arrows to Athens

Erased

Because we need a little bit of light-hearted fun in this thread...

yH5FkYP.jpg

KSI_IS_STUPID_
On 2/19/2019 at 5:19 AM, Asmodo said:

the way your raisin sized brain cells work is beyond me. Right okay if you don't like Michael being aged thats fine, but to critisice fans who approve of it I clearly sense immaturity in you.

I love halloween and to see Michael being older is just as intimidating as when he was younger in halloween (1978), if you cannot embrace that then I ask you to feel free to indulge yourself in movies where the protagonists remain within the same age range because that feels really realistic for you doesn't it? lol you're clearly on some sort of drug substance, should I arrange for you to be placed into rehab?

if you continue to insult @Arrows to Athens just because he has a different perspective of the franchise from you, I would highly advise you to escort yourself out of this thread

don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Edited by KSI_IS_STUPID_