Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. Gameplay
      2. Missions
      3. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Arena War
      2. After Hours
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA Next

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Flight180Victm

Halloween (2018)

Recommended Posts

RARusk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asmodo

Finally got around to watching it and it was a 6/10 for me. Seeing Myers as an old man just about ruined it for me and then it just became totally implausible. Still better than the Zombie films.

 

My rankings favorite to least favorite

Halloween II (1981)

Halloween (1978)

Halloween 4

Halloween H20

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers

Halloween 5

Halloween (2018)

Halloween II (2009)

Halloween (2007)

Halloween III: Season of the Witch    

Halloween: Resurrection

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
23 hours ago, Asmodo said:

Finally got around to watching it and it was a 6/10 for me. Seeing Myers as an old man just about ruined it for me and then it just became totally implausible. Still better than the Zombie films.

 

 

I fail to see how an old man Myers would ruin it for anyone. Michael ages, as he is human and has aged since he was a child. It's been 40 years since the original massacre, which would make Michael 61 (He was 21 in the original film). Of course he is not going to like exactly like how he did back in '78 in 2018. That would be a bit silly. He is old now, so it makes sense that he would have grey hair, go bald, etc. Still, he is one tough motherf*cker and possibly even tougher than he was in '78. We've never seen Myers as an old man before, seeing as the last time we saw him in the original entries was back in 2002 (which would have made him 45 then), so I understand how it would be weird and unusual to see, but to ruin the film because of it? I don't think so at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asmodo
On 2/11/2019 at 2:47 PM, Arrows to Athens said:

I fail to see how an old man Myers would ruin it for anyone. Michael ages, as he is human and has aged since he was a child. It's been 40 years since the original massacre, which would make Michael 61 (He was 21 in the original film). Of course he is not going to like exactly like how he did back in '78 in 2018. That would be a bit silly. He is old now, so it makes sense that he would have grey hair, go bald, etc. Still, he is one tough motherf*cker and possibly even tougher than he was in '78. We've never seen Myers as an old man before, seeing as the last time we saw him in the original entries was back in 2002 (which would have made him 45 then), so I understand how it would be weird and unusual to see, but to ruin the film because of it? I don't think so at all.

Just because he ages doesn't mean I want to see him as a senior doing extremely unrealistic things because he's a 'tough motherf*cker'. I stand by what I said. It made me roll my eyes numerous times and took me out of the film and I thought it was a fairly pointless edition to the franchise.

Edited by Asmodo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lonely-Martin

Yay! Missed out in getting to the flicks for this but just watched it on demand, DVD on the way too, plus now I can read the thread fully (shortly). 👌

 

Personally, I rather enjoyed the film. It could have had a few more jump scares but then again, I'm a far older and experienced horror/slasher fan so they still wouldn't have had tremendous effect for me though. Some cool kills and more gory than I thought it might be, cool end set piece too. The only real criticism would be the Dr/shrinks role, bit aside that, a great addition that leaves room for a sequel and room for more too.

 

Does seem as though Jamie Lee Curtis and co are on board for another run too, do hope this along with today's resurgence in violent movies (Deadpool, John Wick etc) proves to really serve up another delicious slice.

 

8/10, but IMHO, that's a good number for a slasher flick. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
On 2/13/2019 at 11:37 AM, Asmodo said:

Just because he ages doesn't mean I want to see him as a senior doing extremely unrealistic things because he's a 'tough motherf*cker'. I stand by what I said. It made me roll my eyes numerous times and took me out of the film and I thought it was a fairly pointless edition to the franchise.

What "extremely unrealistic" things? Is Myers ever supposed to be realistic, though? This dude has superhuman strength and can nail a dude to the wall with a kitchen knife and make his body hang there. Is that what you call realistic? Of course not. Your reasons for disliking the film are flawed. Because he ages, it ruined the movie?

Edited by Arrows to Athens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big_Smiley
1 hour ago, Arrows to Athens said:

What "extremely unrealistic" things? Is Myers ever supposed to be realistic, though? This dude has superhuman strength and can nail a dude to the wall with a kitchen knife and make his body hang there. Is that what you call realistic? Of course not. Your reasons for disliking the film are flawed. Because he ages, it ruined the movie?

I'm not sure why would aging in Myers would ever make the movie itself ruined for me. You said it yourself Myers ain't gonna stay in his damn 20's forever since the first attack in 1978, lol :p Seeing old man Myers in that shot gilmpse was a shocker to me really seeing how he aged as continues to cause chaos on the streets of haddonfield even after 40 years looking lor Laurie.

 

Anyway, have you heard that the second film has been confirmed?? Man can't say how excited i was. We don't have any information really on directors or producers etc...but by the looks stuff on the web it looks very promising and looks like the genius himself (John Carpenter) would definitely be on board to score the sequel once again. Just hope they release some information in the coming months or mabye year or so. Jasom blums disscution about hoping to make 10 more halloween sequals is kinda over doing it :turn: That's ten more different stories on Myers himself, lol.

Edited by Big_Smiley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
59 minutes ago, Big_Smiley said:

I'm not sure why would aging in Myers would ever make the movie itself ruined for me. You said it yourself Myers ain't gonna stay in his damn 20's forever since the first attack in 1978, lol :p Seeing old man Myers in that shot gilmpse was a shocker to me really seeing how he aged as continues to cause chaos on the streets of haddonfield even after 40 years looking lor Laurie.

 

Anyway, have you heard that the second film has been confirmed?? Man can't say how excited i was. We don't have any information really on directors or producers etc...but by the looks stuff on the web it looks very promising and looks like the genius himself (John Carpenter) would definitely be on board to score the sequel once again. Just hope they release some information in the coming months or mabye year or so. Jasom blums disscution about hoping to make 10 more halloween sequals is kinda over doing it :turn: That's ten more different stories on Myers himself, lol.

That's the thing. We've never seen an old man Myers before, so some people may be "put off" by it, but I don't understand how it could practically "ruin" the movie? Like, just because we've never seen an old man Myers before doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

 

As for the sequel, it's not exactly been confirmed, but they're definitely in talks of developing one. Scott Teems is in negotiations of becoming the writer for the sequel. A sequel was always inevitable anyway, seeing as they initially intended to film two movies back-to-back, but decided against it to see if the film would be a success or not, and it was. In regards to Blum stating that he would like to make 10 more sequels, I don't think he meant it literally. He was just joking around, as the article said, but I wouldn't be surprised if he really wanted to. I mean, it's Hollywood after all. Money talks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asmodo
On 2/16/2019 at 1:21 PM, Arrows to Athens said:

What "extremely unrealistic" things? Is Myers ever supposed to be realistic, though? This dude has superhuman strength and can nail a dude to the wall with a kitchen knife and make his body hang there. Is that what you call realistic? Of course not. Your reasons for disliking the film are flawed. Because he ages, it ruined the movie?

You're right, how dare I let something as simple as a grey-haired senior that isn't intimidating or scary completely take me out of the film just because he has superhuman strength and has done unrealistic things in the past. Maybe next they'll make a Friday The 13th film with Jason on a dialysis machine, or Child's Play with Chucky buying murder weapons with his disability check. If you seriously found this engaging then you're fantasy world is more broader in scope than mine. I know you're obsessed with the movie and even have Meyers as your avatar but geez. Him being an old man and me not finding him intimidating isn't the only flaw. It's just sluggish and pretty average compared to the earlier films in the franchise. 

 

On 2/16/2019 at 3:10 PM, Big_Smiley said:

I'm not sure why would aging in Myers would ever make the movie itself ruined for me.

That's fine but for me watching an old geezer in a mask isn't fearsome or threatening in any form.

Edited by Asmodo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asmodo
On 2/16/2019 at 4:16 PM, Arrows to Athens said:

That's the thing. We've never seen an old man Myers before, so some people may be "put off" by it, but I don't understand how it could practically "ruin" the movie? Like, just because we've never seen an old man Myers before doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

 

We haven't seen Myers as an old man before because that isn't horror or frightening. Myers looks about as homicidal as my grandfather. If you take a killer who doesn't look he can lift a fly, how am I suppose to watch this guy do inhuman things and take it seriously? Of course he has superhuman strength and ages but that doesn't mean you should go and make a film with him at that age when he looks pathetic or that it isn't going to look completely preposterous if they do. I'm not just going to give it a pass because of the age excuse. I wouldn't take an old Jason, Chucky, Pinhead, or Freddy seriously either. There's a reason it's never done with horror icons, because it's not scary or interesting. It's like Bela Lugosi who was great as Dracula in 1930s, I don't want to see him playing Dracula again in the 1950s when he's old and worn down. It comes across as sad and ridiculous at that point and like they're reaching for anything to make another film. 

Edited by Asmodo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
17 hours ago, Asmodo said:

 

We haven't seen Myers as an old man before because that isn't horror or frightening. Myers looks about as homicidal as my grandfather. If you take a killer who doesn't look he can lift a fly, how am I suppose to watch this guy do inhuman things and take it seriously? Of course he has superhuman strength and ages but that doesn't mean you should go and make a film with him at that age when he looks pathetic or that it isn't going to look completely preposterous if they do. I'm not just going to give it a pass because of the age excuse. I wouldn't take an old Jason, Chucky, Pinhead, or Freddy seriously either. There's a reason it's never done with horror icons, because it's not scary or interesting. It's like Bela Lugosi who was great as Dracula in 1930s, I don't want to see him playing Dracula again in the 1950s when he's old and worn down. It comes across as sad and ridiculous at that point and like they're reaching for anything to make another film. 

"I wouldn't take an old Jason, Chucky, Pinhead, or Freddy seriously either."

 

That's because Jason, Chucky, Pinhead, and Freddy are literally supernatural, thus you could argue that they don't age like humans do. In fact, I don't even know why you brought Chucky up, considering he's a freakin' doll and wouldn't age anyway, other than possibly getting worn out and weathered. You're making silly comparisons that don't have any merit, whatsoever. Plus, their franchises haven't spanned 40 damn decades, unlike Halloween. Halloween has been going for 40 years, and considering Michael is human (which means he ages), and he was born in '57, it makes perfect sense that he would be an old man. Does this really require much thought process?

 

"Myers looks about as homicidal as my grandfather."

 

What does that even mean? So because he's old, he's as intimidating as your grandfather? Are these the type of arguments you put forth?

 

"There's a reason it's never done with horror icons, because it's not scary or interesting."

 

What kind of "scary" are you talking about? Like "scary" isn't subjective. What you may find scary I may not, and what I may find scary you may not. I mean, it's hardly an argument. I've heard many people say that Halloween isn't scary. Who cares?!? Personally, I don't find ANY of the Halloween movies scary. I don't find horror movies to be generally scary at all. They don't scare me easily. I love the Halloween movies because they're entertaining, interesting, and great fun. Not liking a horror movie because YOU don't find it "scary" is a pretty weak reason. As for "interesting", that's also subjective. I find it interesting, as have many others who liked the film. You don't? Okay. What do you want us to do about it? If you don't find it interesting, then look somewhere else of interest. Don't make it out to be that your perception of "interest" and "scary" is the right one.

 

If us not seeing an old man Myers is because it's not scary or interesting (or is because YOU don't find it scary or interesting), the filmmakers of Halloween 2018 wouldn't have gone that route, but they did because it logically made sense. We never saw an old man Myers before because the last sequel we got was back in 2002, and Myers was around 45 at that time, not to mention that we rarely ever see him without his mask in the previous sequels except for H5. The series was rebooted in 2007 with a remake of the original, followed by a sequel to that remake in 2009. Myers was back to being young again. But since we got a new sequel in 2018, and it takes place in present day 40 years after the 1978 original, and Myers was born in 57', it makes perfect sense that Myers would be an old man at 61. I ultimately fail to see how that is a flaw within itself. If YOU don't find an old man Myers to be scary or intimidating or whatever, sure, but that's a flaw for you. Him being an old man isn't a flaw in itself.

 

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Myers is portrayed as an old man because he is human, and the series has been running for 40 years. Expecting the guy to still look like a young handsome fellow in his early 20's is far fetched and just plain stupid. If that's what you wanna see, that's fine, but don't expect filmmakers to indulge themselves in your flawed and irrational expectations just because you don't find it "scary" or "interesting".

 

"If you take a killer who doesn't look he can lift a fly, how am I suppose to watch this guy do inhuman things and take it seriously?"

 

You think he looks like he can't lift a fly? Just because he's 61? There are strong 60 year olds out there even in real life, but this is Michael Myers we're talking about here. He's meant to be able to do inhuman things, even at that age. Why? Because he's Michael Myers. Why should age stop him? That would make Myers more of a normal human and strip away his mystique and supernatural/superhuman edge. It would be stupid. There needs to be a balance. You can't have it your way. Otherwise, the film won't work. And you're not mean to take the film seriously or realistically. It's a damn movie. I can't even take the 1978 original seriously, seeing as he (being only 5 foot 9 at the time) somehow defied the laws of physics and was able to nail a guy to the wall with a kitchen knife and grab him by the neck with one hand and lift him up. The guy was literally the same height as Michael, too. I can't take that seriously, but that's what makes it interesting and fun. Or what about the fact that his eyes have magically regrown in H4-H8, and his face is completely devoid of any burn marks in H5? It's not supposed to be realistic. If you come in here expecting "realistic" movies, then you're looking in the wrong place. Go watch documentary or something and stop being so nit picky about some slasher film.

 

Also, have you seen the film Fender Bender (2016)? The killer in that movie is in his 50's, and the film worked. In fact, it's become one of my favourite slashers. You just have to open your mind up a bit and stop looking at slasher films with such a narrow lens. 

 

"Of course he has superhuman strength and ages but that doesn't mean you should go and make a film with him at that age when he looks pathetic or that it isn't going to look completely preposterous if they do."

 

So first, you had a major issue with him being an old man, but now, all of a sudden, you're admitting that he ages. You're contradicting yourself here. And he looks "pathetic"? That's your argument? He looks "pathetic"? So that's your concern here? Not that he's old (even though you literally made it clear that him being an old man is what frustrated you), but because he looks weak and pathetic? A big 6 foot 3 dude who has superhuman strength looks weak and pathetic? At this point, I cannot take you seriously at all. Also, if a guy has superhuman strength, then you'd expect them to have almost 'unnatural' strength even at 61.

 

Edited by Arrows to Athens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
16 hours ago, Asmodo said:

That's fine but for me watching an old geezer in a mask isn't fearsome or threatening in any form.

But why does that matter? Why should YOU be threatened? I don't find the movies scary, yet I still love them. If you don't find it scary and don't like it because of it, then that's fine. However, I do think Myers looks intimidating in Halloween 2018. Many people do. So some people don't find it intimidating and some do. Who's right? Who's wrong? Well, no one! It's subjective. People are different. Expectations are different, too, but they need to at least be rational.

 

"I know you're obsessed with the movie"

 

I'm not obsessed with just the movie. I'm obsessed with the franchise as a whole.

 

EDIT: I also find it hard to believe that you find the idea of a Thorn-cursed inbred Myers that inseminated his 15-year old niece to be more interesting and "scary" than an old man Myers who is naturally evil, seeing as you rate H6 over H2018. But hey, to each their own.

Edited by Arrows to Athens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lonely-Martin

Lol, had Michael been portrayed as younger than he should have been, that would have been a movie killer right there, no doubt about it. I mean, Laurie can age but not Micheal, makes no sense at all. Just knowing Laurie, her daughter, and granddaughter were in the flick from the blurb is enough to say Micheal has naturally aged, going in expecting a young hulking whippersnapper as Micheal was poor judgement I feel. (And Arnie/Stallone can still kick butt or lift weight these days IRL so being a bit older and still stronger is genuinely natural).

 

Micheal went silent on the shrinks, don't mean he didn't keep a bit fit in the nuthouse, lol. I mean he's had the desire to get Laurie for a long time now, gotta be fit to take your chance when it comes, that's his purpose and in his mind I'm sure he always felt a chance would come. (To be a bit cynical of course). I'd need another watch, but how many people did Micheal need good strength to string up on a wall? Only 1 comes to mind for me (could be 2, or I could be wrong and it's more too), and with his desire and relish to kill again, I'm sure he's got 1 'lift' in him at 60-odd, lol.

 

Comparing Micheal to Freddy, Jason, or a bleeding doll in Chucky as antagonists is just plain weird too. Compare the movies as a whole of course, all slashers, pick ya poison. But if they were to do a Texas Chainsaw movie set 40 years later, Leatherface equally would be an old man. IIRC, Texas Chainsaw from 2013 was a sequel set long after the original as a direct sequel to the '74 classic, though dates in story are ambiguous (as it's set 'decades' later), but Leatherface is a strong force as an older chap too, swings those saws around quite well for an old man too. That's a proper comparison, IMHO.

 

If any old film gets a late sequel like this or TCM, you really can't expect a kid to be killing unless they're a supernatural or inhuman being. Common sense tells you that, and if that ain't your thing, why bother, lol. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
35 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Lol, had Michael been portrayed as younger than he should have been, that would have been a movie killer right there, no doubt about it. I mean, Laurie can age but not Micheal, makes no sense at all. Just knowing Laurie, her daughter, and granddaughter were in the flick from the blurb is enough to say Micheal has naturally aged, going in expecting a young hulking whippersnapper as Micheal was poor judgement I feel. (And Arnie/Stallone can still kick butt or lift weight these days IRL so being a bit older and still stronger is genuinely natural).

 

Micheal went silent on the shrinks, don't mean he didn't keep a bit fit in the nuthouse, lol. I mean he's had the desire to get Laurie for a long time now, gotta be fit to take your chance when it comes, that's his purpose and in his mind I'm sure he always felt a chance would come. (To be a bit cynical of course). I'd need another watch, but how many people did Micheal need good strength to string up on a wall? Only 1 comes to mind for me (could be 2, or I could be wrong and it's more too), and with his desire and relish to kill again, I'm sure he's got 1 'lift' in him at 60-odd, lol.

 

Comparing Micheal to Freddy, Jason, or a bleeding doll in Chucky as antagonists is just plain weird too. Compare the movies as a whole of course, all slashers, pick ya poison. But if they were to do a Texas Chainsaw movie set 40 years later, Leatherface equally would be an old man. IIRC, Texas Chainsaw from 2013 was a sequel set long after the original as a direct sequel to the '74 classic, though dates in story are ambiguous (as it's set 'decades' later), but Leatherface is a strong force as an older chap too, swings those saws around quite well for an old man too. That's a proper comparison, IMHO.

 

If any old film gets a late sequel like this or TCM, you really can't expect a kid to be killing unless they're a supernatural or inhuman being. Common sense tells you that, and if that ain't your thing, why bother, lol. :)

" I mean, Laurie can age but not Micheal"

 

Sorry, what? He killed his sister at six, then fifteen years later, he escapes Smith Grove to kill four more people at 21 (he's now an adult, proving that he does age), and forty years later, he escapes at 61, which would make him an old man. It's evidently clear that he ages, so I don't know where you're getting this "Michael doesn't age" stuff from. Unless you were trying to say that Michael not aging, but Laurie being able to doesn't make any sense? Maybe I read it wrong. Not sure.

 

" (And Arnie/Stallone can still kick butt or lift weight these days IRL so being a bit older and still stronger is genuinely natural)."

 

Of course, you can be in your 60's and still be as strong as a 40 year old as long as you lift more weights and work out a lot, but with Michael, it's different. He's that strong at 61 because he naturally possess superhuman strength, and he's 100 times stronger than Arnie or Stallone even if they were younger. Why? Because he's Michael Myers. It's pretty obvious.

 

" Micheal went silent on the shrinks, don't mean he didn't keep a bit fit in the nuthouse,"

 

I doubt Michael did any sort of physical exercise. He's supposed to be the absence of humanity, the absence of character, the absence of emotion. He can be this strong even without working out at all. That's part of the mystique of Michael. We don't know why or how he possessed this unnatural strength. Michael doesn't run around; he stalks and plans. He pops up and stabs. He isn't like Ghostface. Michael is a unique slasher in the slasher genre.

 

" I mean he's had the desire to get Laurie for a long time now,"

 

If you didn't know, all of the sequels have been erased from the canon by Halloween 2018. That means Halloween 2018 is a direct sequel to the 1978 original. This would also mean Laurie and Michael are no longer siblings. Since the familial aspect has been erased, Michael now has less of a reason to go after Laurie specifically. As shown in the film, Michael only goes after Laurie because he was taken over there by his obsessed psychiatrist, and she just became the next target. Michael didn't come to Haddonfield specifically for Laurie. He came back to just... kill. Michael is back to being the motiveless killer he was supposed to be.

 

" Comparing Micheal to Freddy, Jason, or a bleeding doll in Chucky as antagonists is just plain weird too."

 

Certainly. Michael is unique as a slasher and, as such, should not be compared to killers like Ghostface, Jason, or Freddy, especially Chucky, considering he's a cursed doll, for Christ's sake. Asmodo claims that he wouldn't take Jason, Freddy, or Chucky seriously if they were old, but they're not supposed to be taken seriously in the first place. They're fictitious characters with supernatural abilities that are able to do unrealistic things, and to top it all off, they're movies! He must be really ignorant if he expects to take movie characters like these "seriously".

 

As for your other points, I agree.

Edited by Arrows to Athens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lonely-Martin

@Arrows to Athens.

 

By saying 'I mean Laurie can age but not Michael' I meant that it was obvious that if Laurie has, so did Michael. The chap in this thread is acting as though Michael shouldn't have done so, lol. Just misread me there is all.

 

About Michael working out in the nuthouse. I was being a bit cynical there, again more just jabbing at the hater complaining Michael is old. It was more to highlight that as much is open to interpretation and along with the Arnie/Stallone comment, it highlights that even when winding down through age, what was once strong, is still strong is all.

 

And regarding Michael wanting to get Laurie for so long... I agree, the man is just keen to kill, but to be stopped from killing for so long because of someone surely will only see that force/desire grow. I know they retconed all but the original movie too dude, we agree on most everything here, lol. But as soon as Michael realises it's Laurie and her family, his focus is very much them. The man inside, what's left of him, very much remembers. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
4 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

@Arrows to Athens.

 

By saying 'I mean Laurie can age but not Michael' I meant that it was obvious that if Laurie has, so did Michael. The chap in this thread is acting as though Michael shouldn't have done so, lol. Just misread me there is all.

 

About Michael working out in the nuthouse. I was being a bit cynical there, again more just jabbing at the hater complaining Michael is old. It was more to highlight that as much is open to interpretation and along with the Arnie/Stallone comment, it highlights that even when winding down through age, what was once strong, is still strong is all.

 

And regarding Michael wanting to get Laurie for so long... I agree, the man is just keen to kill, but to be stopped from killing for so long because of someone surely will only see that force/desire grow. I know they retconed all but the original movie too dude, we agree on most everything here, lol. But as soon as Michael realises it's Laurie and her family, his focus is very much them. The man inside, what's left of him, very much remembers. :)

My apologies for the misreading. Yeah, I pretty much agree with you on everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lonely-Martin
Just now, Arrows to Athens said:

My apologies for the misreading. Yeah, I pretty much agree with you on everything.

Oh, no worries at all Arrows. Great to get some good chat here in the movie section. Do love my flicks, especially horror movies of all sub genres. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
10 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Oh, no worries at all Arrows. Great to get some good chat here in the movie section. Do love my flicks, especially horror movies of all sub genres. :)

If you're a fan of slashers in general, do give Fender Bender (2016) a watch. It's an 80's throwback slasher with a phenomenal soundtrack. The killer is in his 50's and has a cool looking costume. It's become one of my favourite slasher films. The director is also a big fan of Carpenter's work, and that's where he gets most of the inspiration from.

 

 

Edited by Arrows to Athens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lonely-Martin
38 minutes ago, Arrows to Athens said:

If you're a fan of slashers in general, do give Fender Bender (2016) a watch. It's an 80's throwback slasher with a phenomenal soundtrack. The killer is in his 50's and has a cool looking costume. It's become one of my favourite slasher films. The director is also a big fan of Carpenter's work, and that's where he gets most of the inspiration from.

I'll certainly look it up, thanks for the recommendation as I'd not heard of the movie until I read here. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
6 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

I'll certainly look it up, thanks for the recommendation as I'd not heard of the movie until I read here. :)

Do tell your friends about it (if they also like horror movies). This movie deserves more recognition. I would love a sequel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lonely-Martin
1 minute ago, Arrows to Athens said:

Do tell your friends about it (if they also like horror movies). This movie deserves more recognition. I would love a sequel.

I surely shall. One of my best buds from my school days is my go-to movie mate for horror as the Mrs isn't too much a fan, bless her. Stuff like Freddy or It just creeps her out, lol.

 

That said, my daughter loves the flicks I do which is epic. My lad does the action/sci-fi so I get to watch a Robocop or a Scream damn near anytime. So many classics to revisit. My daughter got me watching Happy Death Day and we're going to watch the sequel soon too. Not a bad movie I felt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asmodo
2 hours ago, Arrows to Athens said:

If you're a fan of slashers in general, do give Fender Bender (2016) a watch. It's an 80's throwback slasher with a phenomenal soundtrack. The killer is in his 50's and has a cool looking costume. It's become one of my favourite slasher films. The director is also a big fan of Carpenter's work, and that's where he gets most of the inspiration from.

 

 

Fender Bender was The Collector/The Prowler ripoff with half the budget and it was dreadful and critically panned. Not attacking you personally but man you have got lousy taste. Maybe in the next Halloween Meyers will go around in a wheelchair killing people and you'll be ok with that too. At this point, it's not even worth arguing with someone so delusional. Have a good one.

Edited by Asmodo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens

 

34 minutes ago, Asmodo said:

Fender Bender was The Collector/The Prowler ripoff with half the budget and it was dreadful and critically panned. Not attacking you personally but man you have got lousy taste. Maybe in the next Halloween Meyers will go around in a wheelchair killing people and you'll be ok with that too. At this point, it's not even worth arguing with someone so delusional. Have a good one.

“Fender Bender was The Collector/The Prowler ripoff with half the budget and it was dreadful and critically panned.”


I find it funny that you’ve decided to move away from the whole old man Myers discussion and jump straight to criticising another slasher film I’ve brought up and claim that my taste is “lousy”. Smooth move there, sir. And The Collector rip-off? What blunt are you smoking? They’re not even remotely similar other than the fact that they’re both slashers. It’s got Deathproof/The Hitcher vibes, but certainly not The Collector. Not sure about the prowler, as I don’t remember much about it. And what’s the budget got to do with it? Halloween 1978 was made on a relatively cheap budget, yet it’s become one of the most successful horror films of all time. Your “taste” is certainly no better than mine, if I’m being honest, and your way of criticising movies is pretty weak and immature.


As for reviews, generally, they are negative, but many good movies have gotten bad reviews. Halloween 4 has a rating of 5, though it should be higher. Hulk 2003 has a rating of 5, yet it deserves higher. H3 Season Of the Witch was critically panned, too, yet it's received a cult following in recent years. I don't think Fender Bender to be critically panned at all. In fact, critics seem to be in the middle with the movie, with Felix Vasquez Jr. of Cinema Crazed stated that he was “expecting almost nothing and was shocked at how effective it was in the end. It’s a solid stalk and chase slasher film mixing “Death Proof” and “The Hitcher” and director Pavia delivers a strong genre entry suitable for a lazy Friday night and some beers.“ Donato of We Got This Covered was more lukewarm indicating that although “Makenzie Vega asserts herself as a future genre star,” “filmmaker Mark Pavia dilutes an original idea with stale, musty slasher generics that have been dominating too many of my reviews lately. A select few moments shine – mostly involving gnarly gore effects – but the sum of this creepy driver’s rampage is nothing but a bland home invasion/slasher wannabe told through a weak, timid voice.” Jake Dee of The Joblo Network rates the film a 5 out of 10 citing lack of originality and “over-trampled” “Halloween-like tropes”as drawbacks while redemption comes in the slick pacing and ever increasing gore and violence culminating in its avoidance of a pat Hollywood ending which “make the movie a bit better than perhaps it should be.”

 

^ I don't consider that to be a pan at all, but then again, it’s all down to taste and preference. I enjoyed the movie, and just because it has negative reviews and has a low budget, doesn’t mean my taste is “lousy”. But whatever...


“Maybe in the next Halloween Meyers will go around in a wheelchair killing people and you'll be ok with that too.”


The next Halloween will most likely pick up right after where the previous ended. There’s no other way they could do it. They’re not gonna make him disappear for several years or decades, then have him come back out of nowhere. And considering Myers is not your typical human, he may not even need to be bound to a wheelchair at 90 or 100, but who’s saying they’re gonna make Halloween movies for another 20-30 years? Myers has a shelf life. Also, just because you’re really old doesn’t mean you’re in need of a wheelchair. Your expectations are badly flawed and irrational. You’re doing everything in your favour to try and criticise and discredit the idea of an old man Myers, and it’s not working at all, I’m afraid.


“At this point, it's not even worth arguing with someone so delusional.”


What an argument. Just call your opponent “delusional” and call it a day. Do you not possess the sufficient bandwidth required to string together a mature and coherent argument? I guess not.

 

EDIT: I had to edit this several times because GTAForums is so, so poorly optimized for mobile.

Edited by Arrows to Athens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asmodo

I find it funny that you’ve decided to move away from the whole old man Myers discussion and jump straight to criticising another slasher film I’ve brought up and claim that my taste is “lousy”

 

I moved away from old man Myers because you're argument is elementary. You stated that I shouldn't let his age ruin the film because of things he's done in the past, like that makes any sense. Apparently, because a 20/30-year-old Myers did these things I'm supposed to overlook a pitiful looking old guy going on a killing spree. That doesn't disprove the fact it appears silly, it just shows you're butthurt by what I said. You're taste in film can also indicate you're limits of implausibility. If we are discussing Jaws and I say that Jaws: The Revenge is the best one, no one is going to take me seriously. To top it off you're avatar shows you're biased.

 

And The Collector rip-off? What blunt are you smoking? They’re not even remotely similar other than the fact that they’re both slashers. 

 

Ignore that the mask and outfit is a carbon copy and is stolen from both films - but you're partly correct, they aren't similar because The Collector and The Prowler more so are at least decent slasher flicks with good pacing, gore factor, and entertainment value. It's not the best but it's passable. Fender Bender is sitting at a 4.9 on IMDB, 3/5 stars on Amazon. Moves at a lethargic pace with amateurish z-grade actors/actresses who seemed to have just stepped out of a high school acting class. It's about as believable as Myers killing at 60.  

 

Also, just because you’re really old doesn’t mean you’re in need of a wheelchair. Your expectations are badly flawed and irrational. You’re doing everything in your favour to try and criticise and discredit the idea of an old man Myers, and it’s not working at all, I’m afraid.

 

It's not the about him needing a wheelchair because he's old, it's the fact he looks like he needs to be in a wheelchair. I'm using logic. Why would anyone want to see a brokedown Myers go on a killing spree? How is that entertaining, how does that keep anyone engaged? Why should I overlook that? I love fantasy just as much as the next person but not when this film suppose to be taken seriously. Would it be ok to take any other killer in any other iconic franchise and age him to the point of ridiculousness? This isn't something I want to watch. We should expect more after waiting this long. 

 

What an argument. Just call your opponent “delusional” and call it a day. Do you not possess the sufficient bandwidth required to string together a mature and coherent argument? I guess not.

 

When you come at me with "I don't see how Myers aging ruins the film, everyone ages, Meyers is known to have superhuman strength" as an excuse when it directly challenges his intimidation factor, makes him look fragile and in turn spoils this "badass" image they are trying to create, yes, I'm going to say you're delusional. I don't have time to continuously argue with someone so brainwashed by the franchise, so I'll just let you have the last word and defend this gem because God knows you'll probably never shut up about it. Who cares about my opinion anyway, I'm just dumb sh*t on the internet. Stop trying to defend the film like it's your child and get over it.

Edited by Asmodo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
56 minutes ago, Asmodo said:

I find it funny that you’ve decided to move away from the whole old man Myers discussion and jump straight to criticising another slasher film I’ve brought up and claim that my taste is “lousy”

 

I moved away from old man Myers because you're argument is elementary. You stated that I shouldn't let his age ruin the film because of things he's done in the past, like that makes any sense. Apparently, because a 20/30-year-old Myers did these things I'm supposed to overlook a pitiful looking old guy going on a killing spree. That doesn't disprove the fact it appears silly, it just shows you're butthurt by what I said. You're taste in film can also indicate you're limits of implausibility. If we are discussing Jaws and I say that Jaws: The Revenge is the best one, no one is going to take me seriously. To top it off you're avatar shows you're biased.

 

And The Collector rip-off? What blunt are you smoking? They’re not even remotely similar other than the fact that they’re both slashers. 

 

Ignore that the mask and outfit is a carbon copy and is stolen from both films - but you're partly correct, they aren't similar because The Collector is at least a decent slasher with good pacing, gore factor, and entertainment value. It's not the best but it's passable. Fender Bender is sitting at a 4.9 on IMDB, 3/5 stars on Amazon. Moves at a lethargic pace with amateurish z-grade actors/actresses who seemed to have just stepped out of a high school acting class. It's about as believable as Myers killing at 60.  

 

Also, just because you’re really old doesn’t mean you’re in need of a wheelchair. Your expectations are badly flawed and irrational. You’re doing everything in your favour to try and criticise and discredit the idea of an old man Myers, and it’s not working at all, I’m afraid.

 

It's not the about him needing a wheelchair because he's old, it's the fact he looks like he needs to be in a wheelchair. I'm using logic. Why would anyone want to see a brokedown Myers go on a killing spree? How is that entertaining, how does that keep anyone engaged? Why should I overlook that? I love fantasy just as much as the next person but not when this film suppose to be taken seriously. Would it be ok to take any other killer in any other iconic franchise and age him to the point of ridiculousness? This isn't something I want to watch. We should expect more after waiting this long. 

 

What an argument. Just call your opponent “delusional” and call it a day. Do you not possess the sufficient bandwidth required to string together a mature and coherent argument? I guess not.

 

When you come at me with "I don't see how Myers aging ruins the film, everyone ages, Meyers is known to have superhuman strength" as an excuse when it directly challenges his intimidation factor, makes him look fragile and in turn spoils this "badass" image they are trying to create, yes, I'm going to say you're delusional. I don't have time to continuously argue with someone so brainwashed by the franchise, so I'll just let you have the last word and defend this gem because God knows you'll probably never shut up about it. Who cares about my opinion anyway, I'm just dumb sh*t on the internet. Stop trying to defend the film like it's your child and get over it.

"I moved away from old man Myers because you're argument is elementary."

 

Is that it? Rubbish argument with very little to no informative or logical depth in the slightest. It's easy to call it "elementary", but it's not easy to back it up. You are unable to refute my argument, hence your silly one-liners. If you possessed even an iota of common sense, you would know that my argument stands.

 

"You stated that I shouldn't let his age ruin the film because of things he's done in the past, like that makes any sense."

 

But how would it possibly make sense to someone who doesn't have any sense? lmao Myers is strong at 61 because he has superhuman strength, That's his character. He's mysterious. He's not your typical human. I cannot believe that I have to repeat this over and over again. It's almost as if you're trolling.

 

"Apparently, because a 20/30-year-old Myers did these things I'm supposed to overlook a pitiful looking old guy going on a killing spree."

 

Of course, you idiot! I'm not actively trying to insult you, but man, you're really bringing it upon yourself here. If Myers is the embodiment of evil and has unnatural strength that isn't normal and is almost supernatural, then yes, you should overlook him being unnatural strong at 61. How is that even a stretch? He's more than just human. And he looks pitiful? Because he has grey hair and wrinkly skin? Please do elaborate.

 

" That doesn't disprove the fact it appears silly"

 

You have unfortunately fooled and deluded yourself into thinking that it appearing silly is "fact" in the first place. And again, you're expecting realism from a slasher film like Halloween, even though I literally just explained how it's not supposed to be realistic. Myers picked up a guy his same height with one hand and nailed to a wall with a kitchen knife. That's silly, is it not?

 

"it just shows you're butthurt by what I said."

 

Butthurt? Yet you yourself seem so butthurt that you call me delusional and claim that I'm "brainwashed" by the franchise. Get a reality check.

 

" You're taste in film can also indicate you're limits of implausibility. "

 

First of all, bloody hell, can you not differentiate between "your" and "you're"? At first, I thought it was a typo, but now, I'm concerned. Second of all, what do you consider "lousy" taste to begin with? I love great films like Terminator, Jurassic Park, Requiem For a Dream, Halloween 1978, Home Alone, Pulp Fiction, Deathproof, Kill Bill, Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, etc. Would you consider my love for those movie lousy taste as well? Let's say I love 20 films that are critically appraised, 3 films that aren't as critically appraised and are independent/rated as average or mediocre. Is my taste still lousy? Where you do you draw the line? What's the criteria? And isn't taste subjective as well? It's like arguing that liking hip hop music is bad taste. So again, you're coming up with flawed and just plain bad arguments.

 

"To top it off you're avatar shows you're biased."

 

Again with the horrible arguments. I don't think I even consider them arguments at all, to be honest. Because I have a picture of Myers as my avatar, I am biased? Biased towards what? Man, cut the crap talk and argue some sense please. Just another weak and pathetic attempt to defame me.

 

" they aren't similar because The Collector is at least a decent slasher with good pacing, gore factor, and entertainment value."

 

And we're back to opinions and taste again. As much as I liked The Collector, I thought Fender Bender had a certain unique style to it and was a bit more original, and I liked the score. More gore and more action doesn't necessarily equal better. If that's your personal taste in horror movies, then that's your personal deal, and that's fine.

 

" Fender Bender is sitting at a 4.9 on IMDB, 3/5 stars on Amazon"

 

So you rate movies solely on the basis of their IMDB rating? And how in the ever living f*ck is 3/5 considered bad? If anything, 3/5 is good. You have a skewed perception of what is considered good or bad. I also mentioned critic reviews on the movie, and they were mixed, with some positives and negatives. That is not a pan.

 

" Moves at a lethargic pace"

 

I'm assuming you didn't like the original Halloween or Deathproof then? Again, more action doesn't equal better.

 

" with amateurish z-grade actors/actresses who seemed to have just stepped out of a high school acting class."

 

The actors in the movie already have an acting history and filmography. Laurie Strode was relatively new in the original Halloween, yet look at her now. Just because YOU don't know them doesn't mean they're rookies within the movie industry.

 

" It's not the about him needing a wheelchair because he's old, it's the fact he looks like he needs to be in a wheelchair. "

 

It's all about "looks" with you, isn't it? "He looks pitiful", "He looks like my grandfather", "He looks weak", "He looks like he can't even lift a fly", etc. How am I mean to take you seriously if your base your criticism solely on the fact that the thing you're criticizing looks like something to you? I know what you describe it, I just want to know why. And how does one look like they need to be in a wheelchair?

 

" I'm using logic "

 

You must be living in nice personoo land because what you're saying is far from logic.

 

" Why would anyone want to see a brokedown Myers go on a killing spree?"

 

I don't see a "brokedown" Myers at all. Perhaps you need to lay off the narcotics?

 

" I love fantasy just as much as the next person but not when this film suppose to be taken seriously."

 

Who says it's supposed to be taken seriously? Taken seriously in terms of what exactly?

 

" Would it be ok to take any other killer in any other iconic franchise and age him to the point of ridiculousness? "

 

If you genuinely think 61 is ridiculously old, then you need certainly need a major reality check.

 

" This isn't something I want to watch."

 

Then don't watch?

 

" We should expect more after waiting this long. "

 

I'm sorry, but who's this "we" you speak of? Are you claiming to speak on behalf of the Halloween fans? And what did YOU expect? A Halloween set in the 90's, even though we already got two set in the 90's? Myers cannot stay young permanently. At some point, he's going to get old. If he's no longer strong because of his age, then that strips Michael away from his mystique and humanizes him more. Then what's the point? That's what you want to see?

 

" When you come at me with "I don't see how Myers aging ruins the film, everyone ages, Meyers is known to have superhuman strength" as an excuse when it directly challenges his intimidation factor, makes him look fragile and in turn spoils this "badass" image they are trying to create, yes, I'm going to say you're delusional. "

 

But it doesn't challenge his intimidation factor, make him look fragile, or spoil his image for me or for most of the Halloween fans that enjoyed the movie and Myers. Okay, so it does to you, and that's your problem. And please do tell me how Myers having superhuman strength at 61 makes him "look fragile". You're having a laugh.

 

" I don't have time to continuously argue with someone so brainwashed by the franchise"

 

Then why do you keep coming back to continue the argument? You make no sense, and you contradict yourself over and over again. Your persistent ad hominems aren't going to make your "arguments" carry any weight, either, nor will they make you sound smart as you try to be.

 

" so I'll just let you have the last word and defend this gem because God knows you'll probably never shut up about it. "

 

The question is, will YOU ever shut up about it? I mean, you came here and left a little review of the film, and now you're complaining about I won't ever shut up about it and suddenly don't want no part of it anymore.

 

" I'm just dumb sh*t on the internet. "

 

Wow You were actually right about something for once. That perhaps must be your biggest achievement in your life.

 

" Stop trying to defend the film like it's your child and get over it.  "

 

What do you mean stop defending it? If I like a movie, especially from a franchise I really love and grew up with, and you make a flawed criticism about it, of course I'm going to defend it. Go and criticise a Star Wars film and tell the Star Wars fans to stop defending it. Yeah, great logic. How about stop sh*tting on the movie like it attacked your mother and get over it?

Edited by Arrows to Athens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Erased

I really don't have much to say as my dude @Arrows to Athens basically said what I was already thinking...so I'm just gonna not say anything...

 

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c6b76a26d304e4467

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Erased
3 hours ago, Asmodo said:

Maybe in the next Halloween Meyers will go around in a wheelchair killing people and you'll be ok with that too.

As someone who's in a wheelchair...that's even more dangerous because we're all stealthy & sh*t. No footsteps...wouldn't hear us coming & wouldn't suspect a thing. Just sayin'. Unless someone decides to run up some stairs or something & then it becomes problematic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asmodo
1 hour ago, Erased said:

As someone who's in a wheelchair...that's even more dangerous because we're all stealthy & sh*t. No footsteps...wouldn't hear us coming & wouldn't suspect a thing. Just sayin'. Unless someone decides to run up some stairs or something & then it becomes problematic.

Him being in a wheelchair might actually get me to watch another one. At least I could indulge in the cheesy self-awareness.

 

As for saying what Arrows is thinking, don't undervalue yourself so much. 

Edited by Asmodo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big_Smiley
1 hour ago, Erased said:

As someone who's in a wheelchair...that's even more dangerous because we're all stealthy & sh*t. No footsteps...wouldn't hear us coming & wouldn't suspect a thing. Just sayin'. Unless someone decides to run up some stairs or something & then it becomes problematic.

Halloween 2 : Wheelchair wars confirmed. Both Myers and Laurie are old so lets see them chase each other on wheelchairs through the neighborhood of haddonfield, lmao. Pay good money to see Michael hauling ass trying to get Laurie :lol:

 

 

Also what the hell have y'all done to the thread? Lol, guess opinions don't mean sh*t these days :turn:

Edited by Big_Smiley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.