3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Flight180Victm

Halloween (2018)

Willmore

To be hornest, I don't like this holiday, but my children are delighted with it)

Arrows to Athens

My own little rendition of the Halloween theme:

I put this together in like 30 minutes in class.

Big_Smiley

Looks like we get a quick preview clip of this crucial scene of Laurie and The Shape. Can't stress enough how much this sequal looks grate :happy: A proper halloween since the original.

And a quick look what some critics say about it so far :^:

Edited by Big_Smiley
*added vid

Up2NoGood45

My wife and I saw Halloween on our first date way back in '79 (both in high school at the time)  Yes, we plan on going to this one as well!

Arrows to Athens
On 10/1/2018 at 11:02 PM, Big_Smiley said:

Looks like we get a quick preview clip of this crucial scene of Laurie and The Shape. Can't stress enough how much this sequal looks grate :happy: A proper halloween since the original.

And a quick look what some critics say about it so far :^:

Halloween II, Halloween 4, and Halloween H20 were good, though.

Up2NoGood45

Would be cool if the  '77 Chevy Monte Carlo the girls drove around in was sitting in her garage under a tarp with flats LOL.  

Arrows to Athens

Gonna watch it next Tuesday. Can't wait.

TheFoxRiverFugitive

Just got back from a showing of this with my brother. Loved it. Great movie.

Big_Smiley
3 hours ago, TheFoxRiverFugitive said:

Just got back from a showing of this with my brother. Loved it. Great movie.

No spoilers plz!! About to see it on Sunday :happy:

KSI_IS_STUPID_

me and my best friend are watching it next week cant freaking wait!!

RARusk

Did $77 million over the weekend so another sequel is very likely, especially since this movie cost around $10 million to make.

Arrows to Athens
5 hours ago, RARusk said:

Did $77 million over the weekend so another sequel is very likely, especially since this movie cost around $10 million to make.

A sequel's already been confirmed.

RussianCommie

I was satisfied with the film. I really like that John Carpenter has a hand in the film and served as an executive producer, as well as, a consultant. From the original film, and the little details, they added into this one was really nice and cool that they paid notion to the 1978 version. It was a pretty good movie, and going off with the amount the film has already made, I'm looking forward to the sequel and I hope that they continue to roll with the momentum and they create another kick ass Halloween movie. 

Edited by RussianCommie

Big_Smiley
3 hours ago, Arrows to Athens said:

A sequel's already been confirmed.

Found out as well :happy: All I can say is after having watching it that was indeed a pretty grate halloween imo. A proper "halloween" right after the original. Seeing as this movie ignores all the sequels since halloween II of course. Dude who to played The Shape really nailed the walk. Just excellent! Felt like a teen watching old horror movies again. Just really hope in the near future the sequal doesn't turn into a mess of a film. Because this one brought a smile to my face :) It's been a long time since we had a proper halloween this good.

-Forgot to mention but John Carpenter killed this soundtrack (literally:p) Definitely got those good 'ol classic halloween vibes from the first two films.

Edited by Big_Smiley

Mr. Scratch
1 hour ago, Big_Smiley said:

Dude who to played The Shape really nailed the walk. 

That's because he's the same dude who played him in the first movie. 

I wasn't expecting it to be this good, my only real complaint is the lack of atmosphere, which is something the original had in droves.

Big_Smiley
1 hour ago, Mr. Scratch said:

Nick Castle only made a few cameo appearances in the film. Like that one scene where Laurie shoots at the window. The rest was done by "James Jude Courtney" throughout the rest of filming. Dude has such a unique walk:colgate:

Edited by Big_Smiley
*fixed text*

Arrows to Athens
12 hours ago, Mr. Scratch said:

I wasn't expecting it to be this good, my only real complaint is the lack of atmosphere, which is something the original had in droves.

James Jude Courtney was your main Myers in this one. He was also the face of Michael during the scenes where you can see the side of his face.

Mr. Scratch

Yeah, I got it the first time around.

Arrows to Athens

Saw it today. I really enjoyed it.

Intense and brutal.

KSI_IS_STUPID_

I watched it yesterday

f*cking great movie had quite a few references from previous halloween movies which was good.

deaths were insane and brutal.

Loved Jamie Lee Curtis performance.

I loved James Jude Courtney's performance of Michael Myers!!

Edited by KSI_IS_STUPID_

Arrows to Athens

Happy Halloween, Michael.

Big_Smiley
3 hours ago, Arrows to Athens said:

Happy Halloween, Michael.

Michael looking at the Halloween (2018) box office sales....

Zs19iN9.gif

lourent

cool

Asmodo

Everyone I've talked to was disappointed in it. One complaint I heard was that it had too much comedy. 

Arrows to Athens
18 hours ago, Asmodo said:

Everyone I've talked to was disappointed in it. One complaint I heard was that it had too much comedy. 

The comedy was never overdone, but I still felt like it was unnecessary. The film has received mostly positive reviews.

But, of course, you can't please everyone. I personally enjoyed it.

Edited by Arrows to Athens

Arrows to Athens

98 in 1

pardon my tardiness, i just got around to watching this and i'm really glad i didn't go see it when it was in theaters

Spoiler

what a f*cking disappointment. i went into it with no expectations whatsoever and still ended up feeling let down after viewing it. seeing that a good portion of reviews were lauding it as one of the best entries to the series irks me because it's not even that good. it's not sh*t, but at the same time i wouldn't even consider it to be a decent entry in the series. it doesn't even have a "so bad it's good" quality to it like some of the previous (looking at you Busta) 

i don't even know where to start, so this rant is going to be as disjointed as the film was. 

touted as a "return to form" for the series, this felt like anything but. a movie full of misplaced humor & heavy handed "homages" to previous films that made me groan multiple times throughout.

the pacing is f*cked, the overall plot and sub plots are sh*t, (the twist involving Michael's new doctor was unbelievably hamfisted, like the aforementioned callbacks to previous installments) nearly everything about it felt undercooked and rushed. the dynamic between Laurie and her daughter/granddaughter felt about as genuine as the reviews for this flick claiming it captured the classic Halloween feel.

there were a few parts that i enjoyed. the motion sensor lights scene, Myers making spectacles of his victims (jack o lantern police officers, covering the babysitter in a bedsheet, etc.) and the score.

where's the slow burn? where's the build up? where's the tension? where's Myers stalking his prey? what is actually driving Myers back to Haddonfield since the biological connection to Laurie was nixed? (the whole apex predator angle, like many plot points in the film, was mentioned briefly but never actually explored since the doctor ended up getting A-Town stomped 2 minutes later) why are a good portion of the kills off screen? why are there so many coincidences without feasible explanations? what's the point of introducing the granddaughters friends if she only sees one die by the hand of Myers? why the f*ck is Laurie, who has an arsenal of weapons designed for cqc in her basement fortress trap thing, searching the house for Myers with a f*cking Winchester lever action? why were like 70% of the scenes that could have been tense and suspenseful spoiled by being in the trailers? (ok this is moreso a movie trailer thing not just specific to this one, wtf Hollywood why do y'all still do this sh*t)

i could poke holes in the believability for eons (which isn't fair, by default it will contain nonsensical sh*t because of its genre/it's a f*cking movie) but the mark of a good slasher flick for me is that you don't have to go out of your way to suspend your disbelief while watching, which wasn't the case for me with this one. funny that this film was meant to disregard all the sub par sequels (sans Halloween 2 and the first Rob Zombie remake this is a hill i am more than willing to die on, but that's another discussion for another day) yet it managed to be just as bad as the lot of them. 

it pains me to say this cause i really do enjoy the series for all its many many faults. this just seems like another entry made to make dollars instead of attempting to improve upon the franchise (yeah yeah sellouts, radda radda radda). how hard is it to recapture the feeling of the original Halloween? was it just lightning in a bottle that can't be recreated? it honestly seems so.

Arrows to Athens
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 98 in 1 said:

pardon my tardiness, i just got around to watching this and i'm really glad i didn't go see it when it was in theaters

Hide contents Hide contents

what a f*cking disappointment. i went into it with no expectations whatsoever and still ended up feeling let down after viewing it. seeing that a good portion of reviews were lauding it as one of the best entries to the series irks me because it's not even that good. it's not sh*t, but at the same time i wouldn't even consider it to be a decent entry in the series. it doesn't even have a "so bad it's good" quality to it like some of the previous (looking at you Busta) 

i don't even know where to start, so this rant is going to be as disjointed as the film was. 

touted as a "return to form" for the series, this felt like anything but. a movie full of misplaced humor & heavy handed "homages" to previous films that made me groan multiple times throughout.

the pacing is f*cked, the overall plot and sub plots are sh*t, (the twist involving Michael's new doctor was unbelievably hamfisted, like the aforementioned callbacks to previous installments) nearly everything about it felt undercooked and rushed. the dynamic between Laurie and her daughter/granddaughter felt about as genuine as the reviews for this flick claiming it captured the classic Halloween feel.

there were a few parts that i enjoyed. the motion sensor lights scene, Myers making spectacles of his victims (jack o lantern police officers, covering the babysitter in a bedsheet, etc.) and the score.

where's the slow burn? where's the build up? where's the tension? where's Myers stalking his prey? what is actually driving Myers back to Haddonfield since the biological connection to Laurie was nixed? (the whole apex predator angle, like many plot points in the film, was mentioned briefly but never actually explored since the doctor ended up getting A-Town stomped 2 minutes later) why are a good portion of the kills off screen? why are there so many coincidences without feasible explanations? what's the point of introducing the granddaughters friends if she only sees one die by the hand of Myers? why the f*ck is Laurie, who has an arsenal of weapons designed for cqc in her basement fortress trap thing, searching the house for Myers with a f*cking Winchester lever action? why were like 70% of the scenes that could have been tense and suspenseful spoiled by being in the trailers? (ok this is moreso a movie trailer thing not just specific to this one, wtf Hollywood why do y'all still do this sh*t)

i could poke holes in the believability for eons (which isn't fair, by default it will contain nonsensical sh*t because of its genre/it's a f*cking movie) but the mark of a good slasher flick for me is that you don't have to go out of your way to suspend your disbelief while watching, which wasn't the case for me with this one. funny that this film was meant to disregard all the sub par sequels (sans Halloween 2 and the first Rob Zombie remake this is a hill i am more than willing to die on, but that's another discussion for another day) yet it managed to be just as bad as the lot of them. 

it pains me to say this cause i really do enjoy the series for all its many many faults. this just seems like another entry made to make dollars instead of attempting to improve upon the franchise (yeah yeah sellouts, radda radda radda). how hard is it to recapture the feeling of the original Halloween? was it just lightning in a bottle that can't be recreated? it honestly seems so.

"what is actually driving Myers back to Haddonfield since the biological connection to Laurie was nixed?"

Haddonfield is the only place Michael knows besides a prison cell. That's where he was born and raised; it's also where he started his rampage. When he escapes, the first thing he does is go back to Haddonfield. That's exactly what he did in the original film. He doesn't need to be blood-related to Laurie in order for him to go back to his hometown.

"why were like 70% of the scenes that could have been tense and suspenseful spoiled by being in the trailers?"

That kinda did annoy me. They showed way too much in the trailers and countless TV spots. However, the scenes weren't always exactly the same as they were in the trailers. They played out a bit differently, but I get what you're saying here.

I personally enjoyed the film, and even though it would have been cool to see them continue on from Resurrection, it was good that they retconned all of it and went back to the original source. I mean, where were they gonna go with Resurrection anyway? Resurrection completely killed the franchise to the point of no repair once they established that Michael Myers could easily get his ass kicked by Busta Rhymes doing kung fu kicks and shocking his balls with a car battery. It was an absolute sh*tshow. Some say it should have ended after the original, as per JC's intent. Some say it should have ended after Halloween 2, as Myers was supposed to be killed by the explosion, and there was no more story left to be told. Some say it should have continued into an anthology series, as Carpenter and Wallace initially envisioned. Some say it should have ended after Halloween 4, with Myers being killed off and Jamie becoming the new Shape. Some say it should have ended after H20, with Laurie winning over Michael. Everyone has their own views.

The film is not gonna be for everyone. Some will like it, and some won't. It is what it is. I'm interested to see what they're gonna do with the sequel. I'm kinda hoping they make it the last, making it the final trilogy.

Edited by Arrows to Athens

Arrows to Athens

All deleted scenes: