Q&A, Ask a OkCupid (Dating Site) Moderator

ctan800

Late last year, I was "nominated", in other words, selected at random to become a "Moderator" for the dating website OkCupid. I am not a paid "admin", but I have been moderating for half a year so far.

When answering questions, such as "What crazy stuff did you see", I will not be linking pictures of any obscene content. I will simply answer your question in text format and thats it.

However, you can check out this Tumblr webpage of another OkCupid Moderator to show you, what I am witnessing in my perspective, it contains screenshots of the "not as terrible" examples of dating site trolling and online creeping: http://thisisnotokcupid.tumblr.com/

Here is the basics of OkCupid Moderation:

1. When a profile or image is "flagged" for abuse, it is sent to us to review. We generally reach a consensus between one another, by SUGGESTING whether or not the profile or image should be deleted or banned, and then posting a COMMENT to add credibility to our response.

2. To "Moderate" on OkCupid, the "selected" moderators (randomly chosen mind you), gets a new link on the top right of the OkCupid Profile Homepage. Clicking that link will instantly transport you to reported content to review.

3. We often use commonly available tools to sniff out fake profiles, such as Google Image Search. In our lingo on the comments list, typing "GIS" simply means that one of us has used Google Image Search to verify whether or not a OkCupid Profile is legitimate or not (it could be a picture of a amateur model for all we know).

4. As I may have implied beforehand, we cannot directly BAN people or DELETE profiles. We submit RECOMMENDATIONS, by which the real administrators will take action.

5. Among some things I have witnessed in the reported content list, I seen pubic hair, exposed genitals (male and female), threatening or intimidating messages (both male and female), and this one time a lady was having brain surgery, and then posted the picture of her actual brain being operated on.

6. In particular, alot of the reported conversations I get is often based on racial tension. I have recommended for deletion numerous profiles that has openly and directly attacked homosexuals, African-Americans, Hispanics, and the like, whenever it shows up on my moderation tab.

7. For the most part, we moderate images and profile content (that was directly typed by the user in their profile). For conversation dialogue that gets reported, they first have to take a screenshot, and then send that to OkCupid's administrators. We sometimes do get it in the moderation tab though.

Alrighty then, who has a question about OkCupid Moderators?

Edit: This is what our Moderator Tab looks like. "ECU" = Extreme Close-Up, "NTU" = Not the User, "GIS" = Google Image Search/Searched

10487353_568679306574862_722191683993037

10547495_568679303241529_819342728329595

10518657_568679299908196_311943659299144

Edited by ctan800

I cucked Alex Jones

Where do you see yourself in the next five years?

• Like 4

Where do you see yourself in the next five years?

Definitely not doing this stupid sh*t XD

I actually moderate out of "amusement". I get no reward for it, and between school, work, and errands, I only moderate if I have any time to burn.

I will graduate from college in one to one and a half years, however everyone knows that the majority of college graduates get a job that is far different than what their degree has trained them on. Will I become a Accountant for sure? Probably not. I will have a degree, but I think i'll probably work in some other office occupation, or maybe at a tax place, or who knows, still prepping in a restaurant kitchen and running "the line" by myself when everyone else is off.

I cucked Alex Jones

Have you ever put that your a mod on OKCupid on your resume.

• Like 4

Have you ever put that your a mod on OKCupid on your resume.

No I have not. But thanks for giving me a idea!

I bet I can market being a OkCupid Mod when applying for a managerial position (office space, or restaurant), claiming it gives me good decision making abilities and being able to evaluate situations quickly.

It actually doesn't. The reported incidents I see is just a single page, with either a frantic male or female typing a reason for the abuse report in all caps.

I cucked Alex Jones

When you're on a date with someone (I'm assuming that you didn't meet on OKCupid) do you ever mention you're a mod on OKCupid? Do any of your family and friends know?

When you're on a date with someone (I'm assuming that you didn't meet on OKCupid) do you ever mention you're a mod on OKCupid? Do any of your family and friends know?

About 5 or 6 people in total know that I am a moderator. Everyone else just wants to know what I get to see behind the moderator tab in the homepage. I show them one abuse report that I receive, and they usually get scared off.

Been on two dates with people I met on OkCupid, both of them know I am a mod.

Currently one of them is my girlfriend. And yes, my family and friends know, surprisingly she actually knows one of my friends I knew for years at the university.

I'm 19, do you think I can get a booty call?

Just wondering .

And are there a lot of cougars?

Also just wondering .

Edited by Xavierr
  • Like 2

Can you hook me up?

Hook you up with what? A position as a moderator? It's all randomly selected by some sort of algorithm by OkCupid :/

I'm 19, do you think I can get a booty call?

Just wondering .

And are there a lot of cougars?

Also just wondering .

There are MANY COUGARS in OkCupid.

You can actually select what you are looking for on your profile, one of them being "One Night Stands", and another as "Friends With Benefits".

If you are mobile with a car, I highly recommend searching a 50 mile radius for matches, as well as neighboring states.

Personally, a tip for success is just saying "hi" or asking a question that a person you are interested in has on their profile. Usually alot of my abuse reports come from stuff like,

"DAYUM BITCH! NICE ASS!!!!"

or...

"LET ME PUT MAH FACE BETWEEN DEM TIDDIES!"

Try entering a lengthy 1-week conversation before asking for social profile information or number.

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

How many profiles mention "I'm a nice guy"?

• Like 3

How many profiles mention "I'm a nice guy"?

99.99999999999999% of them. Even the messed up ones say it.

tumblr_n1jd6kYjiZ1r44xeyo6_1280.png

Here is a serial killer. Or maybe a troll. Let it be known that the majority of OkCupid members DO NOT BELONG WITH THIS LOGIC

tumblr_n1jd6kYjiZ1r44xeyo8_1280.png

Edited by ctan800

Would you say OkCupid is good for finding a partner?

Do you think it's better than meeting people in bars etc. than signing up?

Do cougars use it purely to get laid, what's the success rate of scoring via here?

hornedturtle

Do cougars use it purely to get laid, what's the success rate of scoring via here?

this thread is sounding more and more like an ad.

• Like 2

Frank Brown

Why do I feel like this would be Hitler's OKCupid profile?

• Like 2

I cucked Alex Jones

I guess if you're a male who's 5'8" your life must be filled with anger and rage.

• Like 3

Despite me finding my girlfriend through OkCupid. I don't recommend it, or any dating site for finding a partner. It's because of the inherent flaws regarding online dating in the first place.

1. There is a inherent mistrust for newbies to online dating. You have to work harder to create that emotional connection to be truly considered (by consent from both) as a couple.

2. BOTH MEN AND WOMEN are guilty of lying, and this applies to ANY dating website. I met a girl on Plenty of Fish 3 years ago, who lied to me about her age, and overdosed on prescription medication while downing 9 shots. She passed out and I thought she was going to die at the nightclub until security helped me bring her to the ambulance.

3. For those that are "veterans of online dating", BEWARE. I kid you not, there are so many bad experiences of online dating that most of them, men and women, are what people in the pick-up community call "damaged goods". I once dated this girl (first time) who got ripped off on her first date with another guy, who ran her credit card aground, didn't pay her back, and acted like he is the hardest dick in the universe.

Personally, i'd rather go for the bar-hopping bit instead. At least, before she gave you her number, you established a emotional connection and a good impression on her, and that makes "breaking the ice" easier next time.

Also for the final question, regardless of age group, gender, or demographic, everybody is trying to get laid. Men and women make it seem like they are "hard picks" and "keepers". But from my own account of what I am seeing on my screen, everyone is talking to everybody else in the middle of a online OkCupid conversation. "Talking", hint hint. As in, "leading each other on".

Alot of our abuse cases regard this, especially for incidents where it becomes threatening and the person reporting it takes a screenshot and sends it to us.

Frank Brown

I guess if you're a male who's 5'8" your life must be filled with anger and rage.

I'm 5'8" you mean spirited c*nt!

...oh. I see what you mean.

• Like 4

When you make a peanut butter sandwich, do you spread regular butter on first?

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

iz5LICs.gif

Why do I feel like this would be Hitler's OKCupid profile?

Speaking of Hitler..., I have no idea how OkCupid allowed swastikas to become characters. Actually, I didnt even know swastikas were ASCII characters in the first place.

tumblr_n1jd6kYjiZ1r44xeyo5_1280.png

RoadRunner71

Do you wear like this when you are with your hoes?

flagbros3s-744x1024.jpg

• Like 3

Do you wear like this when you are with your hoes?

flagbros3s-744x1024.jpg

I do have a Halloween Pimp Costume from last year, somewhere in my closet. And a few bits left in my car trunk, I think.

Despite me finding my girlfriend through OkCupid. I don't recommend it, or any dating site for finding a partner. It's because of the inherent flaws regarding online dating in the first place.

1. There is a inherent mistrust for newbies to online dating. You have to work harder to create that emotional connection to be truly considered (by consent from both) as a couple.

2. BOTH MEN AND WOMEN are guilty of lying, and this applies to ANY dating website. I met a girl on Plenty of Fish 3 years ago, who lied to me about her age, and overdosed on prescription medication while downing 9 shots. She passed out and I thought she was going to die at the nightclub until security helped me bring her to the ambulance.

3. For those that are "veterans of online dating", BEWARE. I kid you not, there are so many bad experiences of online dating that most of them, men and women, are what people in the pick-up community call "damaged goods". I once dated this girl (first time) who got ripped off on her first date with another guy, who ran her credit card aground, didn't pay her back, and acted like he is the hardest dick in the universe.

Personally, i'd rather go for the bar-hopping bit instead. At least, before she gave you her number, you established a emotional connection and a good impression on her, and that makes "breaking the ice" easier next time.

Also for the final question, regardless of age group, gender, or demographic, everybody is trying to get laid. Men and women make it seem like they are "hard picks" and "keepers". But from my own account of what I am seeing on my screen, everyone is talking to everybody else in the middle of a online OkCupid conversation. "Talking", hint hint. As in, "leading each other on".

Alot of our abuse cases regard this, especially for incidents where it becomes threatening and the person reporting it takes a screenshot and sends it to us.

Well thats me dying alone. I suck at 'bar hopping'. I knew online dating sounded too good to be true.

Its strange that everyone is trying to get laid yet they are playing hard to get. Then they're not trying to get laid then?

universetwisters

Do males or females commit the most murders on these kinds of sites?

sTgL5iS.png