3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Pavlov

Car Talk Topic

sivispacem
36 minutes ago, turbocharger said:

Makes me wonder, if you think that's bad, what would you think of a sh*tbox that Dacia Duster is.

I like the Duster. They're fun and utilitarian, and actually a quite enjoyable drive.

~1200kg and 123bhp in the Dacia plays 1400kg and 128 in the Grandland.

turbocharger

Well, the Renault's engine is about the best thing about it alright.

Hands down, it does accelerate nicely and is surprisingly agile for its size/power, gives a nice little torque kick at low rpms.

Other than that, the interior looks like something out of 90's, ugly and cheap plastics, bodywork rusting the first winter, the elements under the car were rusted the day it was bought etc. I drove only pre facelift and facelift 1st gen 1.5 dci 110, and I assume you're talking about 2nd gen since you're mentioning 123bhp, but I'm guessing it's not far off.

It is a good price/value ratio, especially for people who don't care about the badge, or for companies - keep it around for a few years and then buy new.

The Grandland at least looks more civillized.

It is a sh*tbox.

Though I guess as the time passes and the sales go up, Duster will someday become a serious SUV with a serious price tag, and a new model (or Sandero) will take its place. It's not far from possible, and a pretty usual course of things.

Pavle

question for the people. has anyone ever seen headlight washers which are mounted on the bumper on Peugeot 205's? I think it'd be a really cool addition to mine, but I've never seen one with washers on the road nor on the ads. Wondering if that was for specific markets or something like it

sivispacem
17 minutes ago, Pavle said:

question for the people. has anyone ever seen headlight washers which are mounted on the bumper on Peugeot 205's? I think it'd be a really cool addition to mine, but I've never seen one with washers on the road nor on the ads. Wondering if that was for specific markets or something like it

I suspect it will have been a legal requirement for certain markets (from memory possibly Scandinavia) which require all vehicles to have the means to clean headlights.

BMW had my car back from its first service last Friday. They also did a pretty good job of detailing it, which I've now ruined by trying to kill every insect in South-West England, the Midlands and South Wales.

2zf7cet.jpg

M Performance exhaust comes next month, and I've got my M4 style mirrors in the correct Ferric Grey (though I've not fitted them yet)

gagemb9918

I’m buying a new car tomorrow after totaling mine Monday. My budget is low, around 3k and the ones I’m looking at is another Mazda 3 (hatchback) 2.3L L4 DOHC 16V for 3500 with 119k.

also a 2000 Jetta GLS for $1782 from a BMW dealer

Can anybody give me some tips on what to look for in the test drive with these vehicles, besides brakes, turning, struts or shocks, oils etc.

Tchuck

Holy cow that Peugeot E Legend concept thing looks fantastic!

TKeeRnl.jpg

Carlover325
On 10/5/2018 at 9:42 PM, gagemb9918 said:

I’m buying a new car tomorrow after totaling mine Monday. My budget is low, around 3k and the ones I’m looking at is another Mazda 3 (hatchback) 2.3L L4 DOHC 16V for 3500 with 119k.

also a 2000 Jetta GLS for $1782 from a BMW dealer

Can anybody give me some tips on what to look for in the test drive with these vehicles, besides brakes, turning, struts or shocks, oils etc.

The Mazda 3 is supposed to be a pretty fun little car to drive, I've never driven one, so no personal experience.  Haven't heard anything too negative about them when it comes to reliability.

I've known a couple people with that same generation Jetta, and they both consumed oil like crazy.  They both had the 2.0L engine.

Outcast

I'm considering trading my G500 in for a new Range Rover Sport SCV6/SDV6 HSE. 

Baby on the way and my G-Wagen is way too loud (pretty much straight-piped).

Range Rover Sport seems like a more "sensible" car, providing I don't order a Supersprint exhaust and some Brixton Forged rims (which I've already started doing lol). Anyway, I figured if I get sick of the RR Sport I could always trade it in for an '06-'07 G55.

Let me know what you guys think. 

Noale

If I were to get another SUV right now, Tesla Model X would be my choice.

Outcast

I would but I'm looking for something a bit more off-road pedigree.

I regularly take my G-Wagen off the tarmac so it's preferable that its replacement would also come with locking diffs.

Tchuck

Range Rover is probably the good bet then. Though if you want something that drives well, I heard the new Stelvio Quadrifoglios drive excellently.

Noale

Off road you say? I agree on the Range Rover then, they look beautiful as well.

Tchuck

Good lord that looks atrocious. Like a ridiculous Lamborghini-Ferrari hybrid, with no inspiration whatsoever.

gagemb9918
On 10/9/2018 at 4:09 AM, Carlover325 said:

The Mazda 3 is supposed to be a pretty fun little car to drive, I've never driven one, so no personal experience.  Haven't heard anything too negative about them when it comes to reliability.

I've known a couple people with that same generation Jetta, and they both consumed oil like crazy.  They both had the 2.0L engine.

Thanks. I've test driven Mazda and it is getting inspected tomorrow morning. Just got the struts replaced along with some minor interior things. Good thing I drove a Mazda 3 Sedan last so when I saw this hatchback I knew I wanted it because the Sedan was so fun.

T00 N0RMAL 4 U

I don’t think the C8 Corvette is ugly. It looks a lot like a Ferrari/Lambo hybrid.  It looks horribly average. At least they didn’t go the Camaro route and totally f*ck up the front bumper. Also, no manual which is gonna upset enthusiasts.

In fact, the Ferrari J50 looks like a Lamborghini in the front. Are supercar manufacturers basing designs off each other now? This is a trend I’ve started to see more often.

Edited by T00 N0RMAL 4 U
idk why the text is highlighted white, guess mobile editor sucks

Garfield 2
On 10/10/2018 at 8:40 AM, Outcast said:

I would but I'm looking for something a bit more off-road pedigree.

I regularly take my G-Wagen off the tarmac so it's preferable that its replacement would also come with locking diffs.

L322 2011MY 4.4 TDV8 / 5.0 Supercharged full-size Range Rover. You will not regret it at all. My next car after I start making serious money.

InstaNoodles

Why is Tesla’s fanbase so cancerous? I swear, they fight tooth and nail to defend any and all things Tesla. I found an argument in the comments section of a Rich Rebuilds video and these two were going on about which engine is better, a Tesla motor or a LS engine.

The guy siding with the LS had a good argument and even stated that he likes Tesla. He praised the Tesla motor but still chose the LS.

On the other hand, the guy siding with the Tesla motor had practically no argument. He just went on about how ‘the future is coming and you’re going to be left behind’ and ‘you’re a f*cking idiot who’s stuck in the past, worshipping an outdated motor’.

Now, I like Tesla. I like what they’re doing and it’s very forward thinking and innovative, but I absolutely cannot stand their fanbase. They always talk down to everyone and ultimately are part of the reason people turn away from Tesla.

Outcast

They're the Apple fanboys of the car community.

turbocharger

Tesla is a great thing that happened to this world. However, personally as a car/driving enthusiast, I can't side with anything that threatens the existence of the manual tranny and engine noise. :D

Tchuck

Teslas are cool and all, but I'm way more exciting for whatever the big car makers will put out in the electronic front.

aliovalio

How regularly do you guys change greases and filters in your car?

sivispacem

I do oil and microfilter annually.

gagemb9918
On 11/12/2018 at 1:30 PM, turbocharger said:

Tesla is a great thing that happened to this world. However, personally as a car/driving enthusiast, I can't side with anything that threatens the existence of the manual tranny and engine noise. :D

I've been looking for a way to describe my feeling towards this for a while and this it.

turbocharger

Glad to hear you found it.