Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,976 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Pavlov

Car Talk Topic

Noale

Take the rear wing off and it becomes another Mitsubish*t commuter econobox.

gagemb9918

My plan is to get a gray one, or anyone that I can find for less than $20k. I wanna try to find one as stock as possible so I can learn more and do everything I want to do from scratch.

Driver92

Err guys , i didnt read all of that thread, but Porsche belongs to the Volkswagen AG (Volkswagen Group) and the Cayenne and Touareg stand on the same platform.

Although Porsche builds really expensive cars the company Porsche alone isnt worth as much as the company Volkswagen so it is unlikely that Porsche could ever buy Volkswagen.

Cudwieser

Err guys , i didnt read all of that thread, but Porsche belongs to the Volkswagen AG (Volkswagen Group) and the Cayenne and Touareg stand on the same platform.

Although Porsche builds really expensive cars the company Porsche alone isnt worth as much as the company Volkswagen so it is unlikely that Porsche could ever buy Volkswagen.

IIRC the Porsche/VW thing is somewhat unique in the Auto world. It is the equivelant of royalty by way of family ties dictating ownership and mutual support. Ferdinand Porsche help found the company (formally state owned until after 1945), but was then taken on by the inlaws after that (the piechs). Since then there has been attempts and suggestion of one taking control of the other, but it hasn't formally happened (I suspect family reasons for it). Both have still been very successful in their own right and have been a great support for each other, something I see continuing. As for who owns who, neither officially own the other, but through blood ties they probably own each other :)

Outcast

This thread was started over 10 years ago at a time when Porsche had set in motion their plan to take over VW but was disrupted by the economic downturn in '08. So yes, we all know that Porsche is part of VAG but it was, as I remember, a rather surprising turn of events at the time.

Zyo

Mx5 broken into on Sunday night. Attempted theft. Roof cut and steering column broken. They failed but cars f*cked. Just been written off by Aviva. Had it three weeks. f*cking thieving twats.

Also last Thursday BMW was hit by a f*cking Tesco van. So that's awaiting repair.

And finally the Saab is getting it's MOT today... So quite expecting it to fail spectacularly. What a weekly.

sivispacem

That's a pretty sh*t set of circumstances. Did Aviva not give you a buyback option? Roof not too bad to replace, but steering column could be a nightmare. Still, rust-free NAs and NBs are a proper rarity these days.

Presume Tesco's insurer are handling that f*ckfest. How come no hire car? If they're the liable party I'd expect a hire car almost immediately for as long as the repair takes. Might be worth involving an accident management co.

Tchuck

Man, things like that make me appreciate living in Japan that much more. Been approached for jobs in Netherlands and the UK, but the thought of crimes and stuff being more "common" just, you know, makes it so difficult to leave Japan.

Sorry to hear about your MX5.

I'd second sivis' recommendation to see if there's an option to buyback. The tops are extremely replaceable, but not sure how the steering column would be handled.

Zyo
Posted (edited)

Yeah the BMW is being handled by Tesco's accident management company, quite professionally I might add. Its being repaired fully without using insurance, but it's still a headache.

The mx5, it's still early days. The guy who's doing the MOT at my local place is going to pop up later and give me a quick assessment of the electrical damage, and I've had my eye on a hard top recently so that would sort the roof in the short term.

If it's feasible I'd consider a buyback and just sort it that way. Might just try and fix it. Make a bit of a summer project. The top is repairable and full replacement isn't too costly.

It's too good a car to have hauled away by an insurer.

Edit: some good news. Called the garage in the afternoon, Saab passed MOT no problemo. That's good news.

Edited by Zyo

Tchuck

Yeah I'd say investing in the hard top would be pretty good. Specially if the car needs to sit outside. Keep the soft top for the days you're out and about, and put on the hard top when the car will be sitting for a while.

sivispacem

Also a properly secured hard top will make it significantly harder for scrotes to try and steal.

Zyo

Going to remove the old roof to save weight :) and get a hardtop. Getting a local mechanic to do a private assessment of the damage today at five. That'll give me an idea if it's going to be salvageable. Keep your fingers crossed for me, I don't want to lose the wee Mazda.

Picked the Saab up from mot today, flew through, nothing needed, no advisory. It's been for sale, first viewing today, sold.

Lurch

Might want to get a set of those brackets the Spec Miata guys use to rigidly mount it. Otherwise, you run the risk of getting your $1000 hardtop stolen. I don't use them, because I take my hard top off for 7 months of the year. But if you were ditching your factory soft top, it's a good idea. I have 3 or so friends that do that with their's.

Zyo

Thats a good shout, its not a $1000 item, it'll probably be 2-300 off ebay used, but i certainly dont want it wandering off by itself.

Starting the new site with some good news, MX5 is back and fit for the road. Not going through insurance, so its not going on the writeoff register. I tidied up the wiring, got a local garage to fit a new ignition switch, so its running with minimal outlay and all is well. Roof is on the to-do list yet though, currently under a car cover simply to keep the rain out. Tried a few short term solutions and considering longer ones. Looking around and quite keen on putting a tan hood on, just change the feel of the car a bit. Freshen it up.

Garfield 2
On 5/31/2018 at 1:37 AM, Zyo said:

Thats a good shout, its not a $1000 item, it'll probably be 2-300 off ebay used, but i certainly dont want it wandering off by itself.

Starting the new site with some good news, MX5 is back and fit for the road. Not going through insurance, so its not going on the writeoff register. I tidied up the wiring, got a local garage to fit a new ignition switch, so its running with minimal outlay and all is well. Roof is on the to-do list yet though, currently under a car cover simply to keep the rain out. Tried a few short term solutions and considering longer ones. Looking around and quite keen on putting a tan hood on, just change the feel of the car a bit. Freshen it up. 

That's awesome! I'm glad yours wasn't stolen. A few of my mates had their MX-5s robbed (Mainly NAs) and found them burnt out in the fields 9 out of 10 times :(

Lurch
Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2018 at 8:37 PM, Zyo said:

I'd be surprised if you found one that cheap. I bought mine for $650 and it's about as cheap as I've seen one, and it's got pretty sh*tty paint and some minor fiberglass cracking. Spec Miata and other racing series that require hardtops really drove the price up years ago and it never went down. $900-1200 is more or less the going rate now. New, lower quality ones that don't fit as well cost about the same as used factory ones. 

Edited by Lurch

E•MO•TION

Any tips for removing scratches from piano black trim?

sivispacem

What kind? The satin stuff, or the high gloss stuff?

Satin shouldn't be too hard assuming you haven't gone through to the plastic underneath, very fine grain sandpaper and then buff and finish but I can't foresee the full blown gloss stuff ever looking right again. You'd probably need to sand back the finish, then layer on 5/6 coats of polyurethane paint, wet sanding between, then a gloss lacquer over the top.

I'd just replace the trim piece.

Audi
On 6/7/2018 at 12:00 PM, E•MO•TION said:

Any tips for removing scratches from piano black trim?

How bad is it? And how big is the trim? Interior or exterior piece? I usually correct it like I would any clear coated painted surface (assuming it's the glossy kind) but with more caution as it is always more delicate. Unfortunately you can't be as aggressive as with body panels, so if a simple polish and seal wont fix it then going through the more aggressive wetsanding and compounding steps is pointless in my opinion. You can either re-do the whole piece or replace it as sivis said. 

For polishing this video is a pretty tutorial. You could do it by hand instead of a polisher or buffer but wont be as effective

And tips for keeping piano black trim as scratch free as possible afterwards

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27333-piano-black-trim-care-cleaning/