GTA style games/ GTA like games/ Games similar to GTA

the ironic one

the ironic one

I suppose, there are some guys among you who just like this style that GTA games offer. I'm one of them, so I've been looking for games offering similar gameplay. Let's call them GTA style games or GTA like games or whatever you want :) I prepared a list of titles that I consider similar to GTA with all GTAs included. However, I've taken some assumptions because the term "GTA style/like games probably has different meaning for different people. I based my assumptions mainly on the first two GTA games (GTA 1 and GTA 2), but on newer GTAs, either. And so, the game is like GTA if:
- there is an open world,
- the story is set up in the XX, XXI century or in the future, (that's why Red Dead Redemption isn't on the list, although is a decent game)
- there is a big modern city (similar to NYC, LA, Miami, Hong Kong, London and so on.), which is a core of the game's action (that's why Total Overdose isn't on the list, modern city - without chickens crossing the roads :) ),
- There are cars that you can drive,
- There are firearms and you are allowed to use them almost whenever you want,
- You don't take a part in a big historical event like WWII for example (that's why The Saboteur isn't on the list, probably a great game, but I haven't played yet),
- The game is mainly based on driving and shooting (that's why LA Noire isn't included, probably a fine game too),
- You are a cop, or a mob or an undercover cop - which means you are a mob anyway :D at least you won't see any difference as a player. And you are allowed to kill random pedestrians without going to jail lol :D
Probably there are some more assumptions, but I don't remember :)
Ok, and the list:

Please bear in mind that the list was prepared according to the chronological order. GTA 1 is at the top of the list not because it's the best game in my opinion but because it was released as the first one. And using this analogy Watch Dogs is at the very bottom because is was released recently.

Number/ title/ the date of release (does no matter on which console or PC)/ the grade according to IGN

1. Gta – Nov 28, 1997 – 6.0
  2. Gta London – April 2, 1999 – 7.8
  3. Gta 2 - October 22, 1999 – 7.3
  4. Gta 3 - October 22, 2001 – 9.4
  5. Mafia - August 27, 2002 -9.2
  6. GTA VC - October 29, 2002 – 9.3
  7. The Getaway - January 21, 2003 – 7.0 – hasn’t been released on PC
  8. True Crime: Streets of LA - November 4, 2003 – 8.0
  9. Driver 3 - June 21, 2004 – 5.4
  10. GTA SA - October 25, 2004 -9.3
  11. The Getaway: Black Monday - January 11, 2005 – 6.5 – hasn’t been released on PC
  12. GTA LCS – October 24, 2005 – 9.0 - hasn’t been released on PC
  13. True Crime: New York City - November 16, 2005 – 6.5
  14. Driver: Parallel Lines - March 14, 2006 – 7.2
  15. The Godfather - March 21, 2006 – 7.9
  16. Saints Row - August 29, 2006 – 8.5 – hasn’t been released on PC
  17. Scarface - October 10, 2006 – 8.7
  18. GTA VCS - October 30, 2006 – 9.0 - hasn’t been released on PC
  19. Gta 4 - April 29, 2008 – 10
  20. Saints Row 2 - October 14, 2008 – 6.3
  21. Wheelman - March 24, 2009 – 4.8
  22. The Godfather 2 - April 7, 2009 – 7.6
  23. Mafia 2 - August 24, 2010 – 7.0
  24. Saints Row: The Third - November 15, 2011 – 8.5
  25. Sleeping dogs - August 14, 2012 – 8.5
  26. Saints Row 4 - August 20, 2013 – 7.3
  27. Gta 5 - September 17, 2013 – 10
  28. Watch Dogs – May 27, 2014 – 8.4

And the last but not least, feel free to add your propositions. Probably I missed some titles.
P.S. I haven't taken "Just cause" into account, because it's more like Far Cry 3 in my humble opinion.

Edited by browar25

matajuegos01

The saboteur, Just cause, The Mercenaries,

#KeepLeviBanned

#RestInPeaceXYN

#IchLiebeDichBitch

#FarewellUGotSmokedWeWon'tMissYou

#GoodbyeDan30CalSeeYouInHell

Mister Pink

You are really narrowing it down almost excluding games that offer a GTA-style experience because you're not so familiar with them. Just Cause 2 is a good example. That's a lot of fun. The missions are crazy and fun and there's lots of vehicles to fly, drive, blow up. There are some cool bases to blow up that are quite destructible and plenty of map to explore. The Sabotuer is great too.

Also, have not played Scarface? It's amazing.

kipakolonyasi

inb4 this joke by some V hater:

GTA V is a fairly decent GTA-like game imo!

the ironic one

I see that some misunderstandings raised. I'd like to clarify that the list isn't prepared according to my personal judgment. I don't think that I'm in the position to judge which of those games is the best. Even if, I can only say which one is the best for my taste, but it does no matter. Who cares? I prepared the list according to the chronological order. Maybe there are some people who'd like to get through these games one by one, beginning with the older ones. It's actually what I have been doing.

You are really narrowing it down almost excluding games that offer a GTA-style experience because you're not so familiar with them. Just Cause 2 is a good example. That's a lot of fun. The missions are crazy and fun and there's lots of vehicles to fly, drive, blow up. There are some cool bases to blow up that are quite destructible and plenty of map to explore. The Sabotuer is great too.

Also, have not played Scarface? It's amazing.

Yes, you are right I'm narrowing the list down. But there is a purpose. It's not the list of all open world games or all open world games I like the most or people like the most. My personal likes or other peoples' likes have nothing to do with the list. I wanted it objective. I'd like to prepare the list of games that are as close GTAs as possible. I wrote down my assumptions. I've never said that Just Cause 1 or 2 are bad games. They are very good games with enormous open worlds but I feel significant difference between them and GTA. Existence of a sandbox doesn't make a game similar to GTA. If it does I should put Skyrim and Oblivion on the list. But if I did some votes may would rise that they are in no way similar to GTA. I was aware that it's impossible to prepare a perfect list. There are lots of games that I really like and played many times (Driver 1 for instance) but they are not on the list although they offer an open world. I was struggling with putting some games on the list like LA Noir and Just Cause because they are close to GTA gameplay but I consider them in some way different. As I said Just Cause makes me feel more like Far Cry. This tropical environment provides me with different experience than GTA games. And you are not a gangster or a cup in this game.

And yes I have played Scarface it's position no. 17 on the list. I also think it's a great game but as I said it's no. 17 because it was released relatively late.

inb4 this joke by some V hater:

GTA V is a fairly decent GTA-like game imo!

It's not a joke and I'm not a hater. The list was prepared according to the chronological order. My personal opinions towards GTA V are not included. GTA V is at the bottom because it's a fairly new game. I don't judge GTA. I said that I like GTA style games which obviously means that I like GTA V too. If there are some GTA style games on the list that you have never played before you can pick them up now. This is the purpose that I made the list for. If you have completed all GTA style games and you're waiting for a new title but you'd like to play something similar in the meantime then you can choose something from the list. That's all. I've given you IGN grades because I don't feel that my personal opinions are relevant.

Edited by browar25
  • Like 1

MERCENARIES is the best after GTA, in my opinion.

Can't wait for Mercs 3.

I mean, Mercs Inc.

Edited by BOSS 302

lol. You said GTA LIKE GAMES, and then you put GTA 1 in the first spot

Edited by SoftTouch

the ironic one

I don't like quoting myself, but whatever... .

I prepared a list of titles that I consider similar to GTA with all GTAs included.

Please, tell me mate, isn't GTA like GTA? :) I think that there is nothing more like GTA, than GTA itself. Btw "GTA like games" is just the way I named the games that offer a certain kind of gameplay. The kind of gameplay that is, as you very well must know, highly appreciated by the members of this forum. And I'm pretty sure that the list covers some titles that are among your favourites too :)

hvcciookay

There was some lego freeroam game released years ago lol.

Don't forget APB Either or crackdown games.

Edited by hvcciookay

AwesomePlayerr

Can we please drop the term "Grand Theft Auto Clone" already!

You don't see me calling Call Of Duty or any other FPS "Wolfenstein Clones"

If you would ask me what my favorite "open-world" or "sandbox" game was I would have to say Saints Row 2.

Edited by AwesomePlayerr

I don't like quoting myself, but whatever... .

I prepared a list of titles that I consider similar to GTA with all GTAs included.

Please, tell me mate, isn't GTA like GTA? :) I think that there is nothing more like GTA, than GTA itself. Btw "GTA like games" is just the way I named the games that offer a certain kind of gameplay. The kind of gameplay that is, as you very well must know, highly appreciated by the members of this forum. And I'm pretty sure that the list covers some titles that are among your favourites too :)

Yeah, then you might want to consider changing the title mister.

the ironic one

Can we please drop the term "Grand Theft Auto Clone" already!

You don't see me calling Call Of Duty or any other FPS "Wolfenstein Clones"

If you would ask me what my favorite "open-world" or "sandbox" game was I would have to say Saints Row 2.

Yes, we could if we picked it up. Actually no one has never called any of the listed games, or other once that were mentioned, a gta clone. At least in this topic. Maybe their producers were inspired by GTA franchise but I don't think that tere is anything wrong about this. Because otherwise we would have had only one TPP game, one FPS game, one strategic game and so one. I also like Saints Row and think that it is original in many aspects. And there are some things that GTA could learn from SR. Like the tank in SR 3 that is in my opinion a way better than the one that we have in GTA V. Running over cars and smashing them is just more enjoyable :) If there hadn't been other games offering gameplays similar to GTA we wouldn't have run over cars with a tank and we would have missed other valuable stuff :)

Yeah, then you might want to consider changing the title mister.

I would if I knew how to change it. I can only edit posts but not the title.

penguinhero

Tdu 2

?is anyone able to play online on this game I just bought tdy2?

Excluding the Franchise that Inspired/Influenced and made these franchise exist (GTA),there are the following "GTA-type" or "GTA Clone" IPs in Chronological Order:

-Mafia (2002-Present)

-True Crime (2003-???)

-FarCry (2004-Present)

-Driver (1999-2011,esp.after GTA3)

-Saints Row (2006-Present)

-Crackdown (2007-Present)

-Assassins Creed (2007-Present)

-APB Reloaded (2010)

-Sleeping Dogs (2012)

-Watch_Dogs (2014)

Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond

I recommend these even though there are mostly on Ps2 and do not exactly have great graphics.But I spent quite some time playing these.

True Crime:NYC (Where you put police modifications on any car you own)

True Crime:Streets of La (Where you can dual wield aks and desert eagles)

The Godfather 1 (Where you can have all the suits in the world)

Driver:Parallel lines (Where all cars can be modified)

Urban Chaos and True Crime are GTA if you'd play the good guys, gameplay is pretty similar (especially TC).

Edited by Fireman

Excluding the Franchise that Inspired/Influenced and made these franchise exist (GTA),there are the following "GTA-type" or "GTA Clone" IPs in Chronological Order:

-FarCry (2004-Present)

Lol what?

I have moved to a new account.

the ironic one

-Mafia (2002-Present)

-True Crime (2003-???)

-FarCry (2004-Present)

-APB Reloaded (2010)

-Sleeping Dogs (2012)

-Watch_Dogs (2014)

A would argue that the entire Driver franchise offers gameplay that is very similar to GTA. In the first Driver game you can't even leave a car. In the second you can but you can't shoot. In my opinion Driver 3 is the first GTA style game and Driver Parallel Lines is the last one. I think that shooting is a very important element of this puzzle. Although even Driver 1, which is my favourite Driver game, is in some way similar to GTA, even the first mission (Bank robbery) reminds me GTA 3, there are some significant differences that make this game similar but not very similar to GTA franchise.

I divide this category into four parts. Games that are very similar to GTA franchise (similar in majority of aspects, without significant differences), these are games on the list. Then there are games that offer lots of important similarities but on the other hand include some differences. The number of similarities and differences is approximately like 90/20 per cent, or you can point out at least one very serious difference or 3 serious differences or if at least one essential feature of the GTA gameplay is unavailable like driving, shooting, an open world, top down view or TPP, the game can’t be placed even in this category, it goes straight to the 3rd category. The third category includes games that are still similar to GTA in many aspects but you can point out two or more very serious differences or at least 3 serious differences, the number on similarities is like 70 per cent or less. And there is the 4th category, games that offer an open world or sand box and include some GTA style features but are different in many aspects .

Using this analogy, I'd put Driver 1 ad Far Cry 2 and 3 in to the third category. Far Cry is the FPP game and there aren't any cities and there are no gangs just paramilitary organisations. In Driver 1 you can’t leave a car and you can’t use firearms. But I’d put Just cause and Just cause 2 into the 2nd category because it’s similar in majority of aspects. However, you fight against the government not against crime or against police as a gangster. It looks more like a small war, you against the whole army. While GTA is about gangs and some gang wars eventually.

I recommend these even though there are mostly on Ps2 and do not exactly have great graphics.But I spent quite some time playing these.

True Crime:NYC (Where you put police modifications on any car you own)

True Crime:Streets of La (Where you can dual wield aks and desert eagles)

The Godfather 1 (Where you can have all the suits in the world)

Driver:Parallel lines (Where all cars can be modified)

I have them all on PC :) And I think they are worth to play even now, because of some unique features that you won't face in other games. Actually, every game on the list is worth to play if you like this type of gameplay. Maybe Driver 3 is not very best, but has got its moments too. For example, cut scenes are nice and driving is good. And I haven't played Wheelman much, so I can't say a lot about it.

Urban Chaos and True Crime are GTA if you'd play the good guys, gameplay is pretty similar (especially TC).

I'm familiar with both TC: NYC and TC: SoLA and I like them, but I haven't played Urban Chaos. I can't play UC on my PC, it lags like hell, even though I installed high-resolution patch.

Edited by browar25

- the story is set up in the XX, XXI century or in the future, (that's why Red Dead Redemption isn't on the list, although is a decent game)

Are you implying that Red Dead Redemption wasn't in the 20th century?

-Mafia (2002-Present)

-True Crime (2003-???)

-FarCry (2004-Present)

-APB Reloaded (2010)

-Sleeping Dogs (2012)

-Watch_Dogs (2014)

GTA didn't "make" any of these franchises exist, but whatever.

How is Assassin's Creed or Far Cry in any way similar to GTA?

Edited by PhilosophicalZebra

LTHpH7H.png

, but I haven't played Urban Chaos. I can't play UC on my PC, it lags like hell, even though I installed high-resolution patch.

You bought the Steam version? I doubt a 15-year old game will lag on your PC.

the ironic one

Are you implying that Red Dead Redemption wasn't in the 20th century?

Correct me if I am wrong but RDR was in XIX century. [Edit: OK, you are right, my mistake, it's 1911 :) ] Anyway, it doesn't cover this assumption:

- There are cars that you can drive,

, but I haven't played Urban Chaos. I can't play UC on my PC, it lags like hell, even though I installed high-resolution patch.

You bought the Steam version? I doubt a 15-year old game will lag on your PC.

I bought it in 2004 it was attached to a magazine about computer games with a few other games :) Somehow I've never tried to play this game, I didn't know that this is such a good game and now I regret. It lags like crazy, I can't even pass the training missions. But I didn't know that the game is available on steam, I hope the stem version will run on my PC.

Edited by browar25

the ironic one

Yes, this one is definitely worth to mention :) Have you played Car Jacker? :)