What happened to me?

Cebra

-

Edited by Cebra
  • Like 1

LTHpH7H.png

Did you play anything else on PS2? It might've been the PS2 itself. That's the only thing I can think of. Since you were young, maybe the visuals hurt you somehow? I myself have never heard of this.

Did you play anything else on PS2? It might've been the PS2 itself. That's the only thing I can think of. Since you were young, maybe the visuals hurt you somehow? I myself have never heard of this.

Yes, I owned around 10 games. I didn't bother to mention it in the OP, but a couple of years later I got the game Big Mutha Truckers II, but this time it was on my Xbox. The game gave me a nosebleed every single time I played, no exceptions. After realizing it was the problem, my mom brought it back to the store.

LTHpH7H.png

My guess would be Epilepsy

But it can't be due to the game itself, since I got it again a couple of years later. I guess it could have been the console itself, but even then that was the only game that did anything to me on it.

LTHpH7H.png

My guess would be that you're possessed by a demon, and you need an exorcist right now.

My guess would be that you're possessed by a demon, and you need an exorcist right now.

That's fantastic. And ominously close to what would have happened if I was in the presence of my grandparents when it happened.

LTHpH7H.png

Maybe it was something that you had when you were younger that whenever you saw certain things (Not necessarily violence or anything, but maybe the game's art style or colors or something you'd see every time you play) it caused certain physical and mental reactions when you were younger. Did you ever go to a therapist or a doctor and ask them about this? I doubt you have epilepsy (Or at least one of the common forms of it) since I've never heard of that just going away. Either that or as Paleto said, you're possessed by a demon.

Edited by Shenmue18

Maybe it was something that you had when you were younger that whenever you saw certain things (Not necessarily violence or anything, but maybe the game's art style or colors or something you'd see every time you play) it caused certain physical and mental reactions when you were younger. Did you ever go to a therapist or a doctor and ask them about this? I doubt you have epilepsy (Or at least one of the common forms of it) since I've never heard of that just going away. Either that or as Paleto said, you're possessed by a demon.

I guess it could be. Does sensitivity to certain patterns go away as you get older? And no, I never went to a doctor or anything. It might have been a good idea, but I'm fine now anyway.

LTHpH7H.png

Sounds very much like a neurological issue. It could be that your brain associated certain imagery, sound-patterns or something that was in the game with a physiological response that didn't manifest itself until x hours later. The exact timing could be explained by your sleep schedule, I take it you had a somewhat regular bedtime at those ages?

– overeducated wonk who fetishises compromise

Sounds very much like a neurological issue. It could be that your brain associated certain imagery, sound-patterns or something that was in the game with a physiological response that didn't manifest itself until x hours later. The exact timing could be explained by your sleep schedule, I take it you had a somewhat regular bedtime at those ages?

Yeah, I'd play in the late morning, maybe around 11AM and play for around an hour or two. When I was five I must have gone to bed around 8:30PM most nights.

LTHpH7H.png

When I would play during the day, I would be fine. Later in the night, say around 3AM, I would wake up in bed and cry. I remember crying because I couldn't recognize my parents even though I was looking right at them, and then I would throw up.

Almost sounds like "sleep talking". When I was in the army, my roommate would actually carry on a conversation with me, but he thought I was someone else. We wouldn't talk for hours, it was very brief, maybe 10 minutes tops.

Edited by RoadkillGumbo

When I would play during the day, I would be fine. Later in the night, say around 3AM, I would wake up in bed and cry. I remember crying because I couldn't recognize my parents even though I was looking right at them, and then I would throw up.

Almost sounds like "sleep talking". When I was in the army, my roommate would actually carry on a conversation with me, but he thought I was someone else.

Did he remember doing it? Because I do.

LTHpH7H.png

He vaguely remembered talking but not to me. This went on for awhile, he was pretty stressed out about being away from home for such a long time. When he finally got a chance to go home, the sleep talking stopped.

Frank Brown

Huh. I had a similar issue when I was 5 and played Vice City. I'd wake up in the middle of the night crying, once after a dream (about VC) and once randomly.

I think mine was because I killed too many hookers though.

Edited by Vlynor

The actual reaction sounds a lot like a typical variation on night terrors. It's a state of waking up terrified, frequently confused, unable to recognize people. Furthermore, the fear is usually not of anything specific. Not like waking up from a nightmare. You simply wake up terrified. The rest of it is just physiological response to intense fear.

The trigger is an odd bit, though. I would bet on it having nothing to do with the actual game. Rather, it was the game you've spent playing more than any other at that time. Some people get epileptic seizures, but you can also get something so minor that you wouldn't notice, yet sufficient to trigger a sleep disorder, such as night terrors. After it happened a number of time, you might have ended up associating the game with the problem, in which case the game becomes an actual trigger.

If you still have sleep disorders, it's something to look into. It can cause problems. Night terrors you definitely notice, but there can be other problems with your sleep that you might not be aware of. And that can have effects on your health or even cause narcolepsy at some point. If it's just curiosity, the above most likely explains it. If you are worried about there still being problems, see a doctor.

• Like 1

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

orbitalraindrops

This is very interesting. Maybe at that age it was harder to distinguish between the fantasy of III with the real world. Especially given the graphics at the time. I'm not saying you didn't think it was a game as you certainly did but at a young age such a stylised surreal world could effect you in odd ways. I dunno I'm not a psychologist this is all just a theory.