Should GTA 6 have multiple protagonists?

Jizzle2014

Jizzle2014

I would prefer if they just stuck to one. Thoughts?

zuckmeslow

two would be cool. 3 only if they can make a game world big enough and a story long enough.

datganjasmuggla

3 Is defiantly the max they should have. If they do have multiple again, the option to kill one shouldn't be possible.

HOW'S ANNIE?

Personally I feel multiple protagonists is a brilliant idea from a story and immersion standpoint, but poorly executed in V.

You can bitch all you want about how much it took away from character development in V, but it was more so the number of missions that was the problem. Had we been given about 30-ish missions per protagonist we could have been fine, TLAD and TBOGT proved that's more than enough for a good story. Instead V gave Michael and Trevor all the missions, almost nothing for Franklin and shoved in four seperate plots plus the heists (some of which involved setup missions like "buy these clothes" or "steal this firetruck").

At the end of the day I feel multiple protagonists isn't necessary for a good plot, but a great step for the storylines in future GTA games. Just poorly executed in V.

Only if they can write story worth including more than one protagonist at the same time. V got so sh*tty one, that the number of the protags didn't change much in that matter. For the future I would prefer them to be enemies like in IV and add-ons, because "friends" option didn't bring anything to the table and maybe just two of them (three was a bit too much and it would probably end up like in V, where Frank turned into shadow later in the story).

lizardman563

I believe 2 would be cool.

3 wasn't executed properly but I still thought multiple protagonists was brilliant.

Simply no. They tried this I'm GTA V and ended up interpreting this pretty badly. It was just a failure to mix Franklin's life with Michael & Trevor confronting reach other about the past. I just prefer single protagonist, rather with multiple Antagonists.

matajuegos01

Why not 8? a la gta 1

• Like 1

#KeepLeviBanned

#RestInPeaceXYN

#IchLiebeDichBitch

#FarewellUGotSmokedWeWon'tMissYou

#GoodbyeDan30CalSeeYouInHell

universetwisters

Three protagonists would be alright, but only if they didn't intertwine as much as they did in V. Crossovers like the IV trilogy would work nicely for me.

• Like 3

sTgL5iS.png

Liver Buster

I don't have problem with multiple protagonists as the each protag is given enough curtain call, enough care and importance. I did have antipathy for V most in that way. Multiple protagonists... a'right cool enough but the things up revealed to be bad when poorly-written characters and so-called not cared so much protagonist showed up in our line. It was a basic sacrifice when R* rushed these multiple protagonist thing up. Also another reason why V was not successful in terms of story and its elements was that the story was almost just based on wiping FIB's back and pulling heists... but nothing more, unfortunately. Also the special storylines for each character (y'know T's rise in Blaine County, Frank doin' gangsta sh*t, Michael coping with his family issues) did sound like more... backgroundic and wasn't paid enough attention. Trevor's meth and gun empire saga was too damn short, and did invade the curtains until Trevor came to LS to find Michael (maybe just "Predator" mission was an incoincidence). I'm not saying Franklin should have pull a Micro SMG, popped some Ballas, slinged dope with Lamar everyday, but a few gangbanging, it would have been much better, we would have seen Franklin's struggles with the hood better. About Michael... his family could have been a bigger impact on the story, but they generally felt unnecessary, unfortunately. Also this poor, extremely superficial multiple protagonist system led non-sharp characters that didn't sound like well-written foils like IV characters. Like I said, I don't have problem with multiple protag system if R* doesn't rush it up again, put enough curtain call for each protagonist, which will lead them to be more advanced, and of course if they don't keep the story so supeficial as in GTA V (it's about doing some corrupt government agents' dirty laundry and pulling heists, but almost nothing more), it'd be cool to me.

To find out my more expanded idea on GTA V's story and its elements, you can check this post.

hasidichomeboy

there needs to be 1 protagonists

there needs to be 1 protagonists

*10 protagonists

• Like 1

WittyUsername

I feel that one fits better.

My biggest problem with V is that the story was just all over the place. The real conflict of this game was Michael and Trevor, I kinda feel like Trevor would have been better as the main antagonist of V if it was just Michael's story. Franklin felt like he was just shoved in to fill a third spot.

I dunno, I think it'd been more rewarding to have Michael up on his rise to the film industry from the world of crime, or have it be about Franklin and his stuff, but I guess that'd be CJ 2.0, maybe he should have been a Balla.

Also, with the multiple protagonists multiple stories running at once deal, I wound up forgetting about half of the antagonists UNTIL the end of the game where they wrapped up all the loose ends in one mission. Stretch and Cheng? Forgot about them until the last mission. Steve I kept getting confused with Devin. And the way the literally wrapped it all up in one swoop, it almost like the developers forgot about them as well.

I just feel like the story suffered, it hopped around everywhere and made the game feel like 3 short games in one.

If we did have multiple, then I'd accept two if they're related, brothers, father and son, lovers, or partners in crime.

Or if they did it in the same way as they did Episodes from Liberty City -- just choose a character.

• Like 1

Two would be good.

Legomanarthur

I'd prefer having one protagonist for the main game and two others by DLC like TLaD and TBoGT, one thing at a time. :)

fJEUkTi.png

TrevorSpeed914

What's a real shame is that while I love V, the time Rockstar spent on development was the same amount it took for III through San Andreas to come out. In other words, we'll never see another 3D series where we have closely related games with three different protagonists with the impression that we're getting chapters in a story. IV and V barely fit together. Rockstar also managed to put out the PSP Stories games too.

I'd like one well developed character and two more in DLC. While I'm not a big fan of IV, the concept of new characters in the same setting via DLC was awesome... despite Lost and Damned & Gay Tony being half-baked and tedious at times.

SkyWest1218

I think if they go down the multiple protag route again, they shouldn't have more than two. At least, not more than two that are playable. Three felt like a bit too much, especially given how short the game was.

Harwood Butch3r

It should come back, but like GTA IV/EFLC. I loved the Tarantino style with non-linear storytelling and the fact Niko, Johnny and Luis didn't know eachother personally. IMO it was so interesting to see their individual stories overlap at certain points.

• Like 2

matajuegos01

I'd like two, but if they implement it in such a way that they are not friends and actually they have different objectives, you can't hang out with each other and their mission givers are different, but in some missions they may encounter each other.

#KeepLeviBanned

#RestInPeaceXYN

#IchLiebeDichBitch

#FarewellUGotSmokedWeWon'tMissYou

#GoodbyeDan30CalSeeYouInHell

Hmm.. No.

Not against having three, but I like playing with only one, and no switching characters.

• Like 1

andersona7x6661

I think is a good idea rockstar repeat three caracters again because is so boring play with only one.i played all gta's before five and i think is good switch caracters and make diferent things with thrre diferents caracters petsonality

Maybe.If it would be a game with less than 70-80 story missions and a small or medium sized map one or two protagonists would be enough,three only if the game would have over 70-80 story missions and a map that would be at least as big as the one in GTA 5,I don´t know could they pull off four or more protagonists(it would have to be a very long game where every protagonist´s background and personality would be well explained).

Blennerville

possibly, it depends on what the game will be.

The problem with GTA5 was that for some reason R* felt that all 3 characters had to be linked (well mainly just Michael and Trevor) and it negatively effected the story. (Would have been better with 4 characters as well imo - Brad gets out of prison)

They could have just had 3 different characters/story paths that crossed path without being completely forced (just an example would be Niko, Johnny, Louize's story paths from GTA4) - keep it simple.

I think that would have worked much better compared to what they actually did in trying to make it into one common story between the 3 characters.

Some people seem to be very put off by multiple characters now and are against the idea of another game with multiple characters, but id say it not really the multiple characters that put them off, rather it was the mess of a story involving the characters.

I wouldnt be so quick to say Multiple characters shouldnt return, the game script just needs better structure.

Edited by Blennerville

Blennerville

It should come back, but like GTA IV/EFLC. I loved the Tarantino style with non-linear storytelling and the fact Niko, Johnny and Luis didn't know eachother personally. IMO it was so interesting to see their individual stories overlap at certain points.

thats what im talking about, but in one game like GTA5 and you have their storys happening at the same time and you can switch to them - would be kinda like Pulp Fiction.

R* could have so easily done that as well with the first mission in GTA5 - follow the paths of the 3 or 4 characters storys after that mission went bad.

Edited by Blennerville

I'd be cool with two cites and two protags. I keep saying it all the time, a dream come true for me would be VC and Carcer City, a contrast of a sunny relaxed paradise and a dark, cold and gritty hell, with two characters who would have a proper development on their own and unable to leave their cities until some mid-game point where the two finally meet and start a joint story.

• Like 2