Future Gen Consoles - Google & Razer

Mister Pink

Mister Pink

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, just read this article and found it interesting. Wonder what you guys thought.

This is a console of the future,” Min-Liang Tan, Razer co-founder and CEO said in a statement. “Built on Google’s incredible Android TV platform, the Razer micro-console incorporates not only hardcore and casual gaming, but music, movies and other entertainment and social applications, all on an affordable system.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2014/06/25/google-and-razer-are-teaming-up-on-a-game-console/

So, Google are working with Razer to make a micro console. Little is know about it yet but what do you guys expect? We know it will run Android TV so we know it will have some stream capabilities.

Will this be a quick, affordable must-have accessory to accompany future TV sales? Will it target any hardcore gamers?

Rumours are Apple wanted to get in to the console gaming industry too.

Edited by Mister Pink

I'm surprised that Apple didn't get in the gaming industry this far. But this is good news because other companies shall improve their systems with more competition.

Edited by BOSS 302
  • Like 1

Not too interested. If all I can play on it are the games on the Play Store then I'll pass. Same goes for Apple if they join in.

I'm surprised that Apple didn't get in the gaming industry this far. But this is good news because other companies shall improve their systems with more competition.

They tried years ago and failed

GTA3Rockstar

It'll flop.

Only Microsoft and Sony should do the console bizz.

• Like 1

fbeRElG.png

Frank Brown

If it's going to be a 'cloud' based service, where the games are remotely stored, then there's already OnLive. It can't play movies AFAIK, but it's a pretty affordable piece of equipment. It's not high-end like a PS4 or XbOne, but it probably itches that casual gamer scratch.

They tried years ago and failed

lol

That's why I'm with Sony since 98.

PlayStation.png

I would love to see what Razer will come up with.

Basically what I am looking for is one of the following.

-A tiny android microconsole that is as good as a madcatz mojo or better. (Tegra 4, 2gb ram etc) That uses the android marketplace for better access to more games. (Currently the mojo is the same price as the nVidia shield (£200) which is utter bullsh*t. May as well get a phone or add £150 to that and get a PS4 or Xbone.

-A tiny solid state style PC running windows that allows me to play any steam game.

Those are pretty much the two things I would like. If I can't get a PC in a smaller box than a steam machine. Then f*ck it. And if I can't get an android micro console that has good support for cheaper than £130 then f*ck it.

All these tv/gaming boxes need to either have equal power to a 360 or PS3 almost, or be f*cking dirt cheap.

I have the ouya and the gamestick and both disappoint because neither uses the android marketplace so there are limited games. Even the gamestick that is essentially a usb drive still needs a power cable making the device pretty f*cking redundant, as it is meant to be portable. But it ain't portable if you have to carry a f*ck off plug around as well.

I like the idea of these things, but they need to have as much functionality as your phone, but with more power and more options.

I think the nVidia shield just got portal 2 and half life 2 exclusive to it. Now THAT is proper handheld/portable gaming that I want.

Now what I have always said is that Nintendo should go for this buisness model. Sell a $100 console that has no disc drive, uses a controller and has full access to the virtual console and all the old classic and modern nintendo games. To make it a proper arcade box again.

Now that would f*cking sell. But they won't do it.

Edited by Daz
kT8ve9H.png

I would love to see what Razer will come up with.

Basically what I am looking for is one of the following.

-A tiny android microconsole that is as good as a madcatz mojo or better. (Tegra 4, 2gb ram etc) That uses the android marketplace for better access to more games. (Currently the mojo is the same price as the nVidia shield (£200) which is utter bullsh*t. May as well get a phone or add £150 to that and get a PS4 or Xbone.

-A tiny solid state style PC running windows that allows me to play any steam game.

Those are pretty much the two things I would like. If I can't get a PC in a smaller box than a steam machine. Then f*ck it. And if I can't get an android micro console that has good support for cheaper than £130 then f*ck it.

All these tv/gaming boxes need to either have equal power to a 360 or PS3 almost, or be f*cking dirt cheap.

I have the ouya and the gamestick and both disappoint because neither uses the android marketplace so there are limited games. Even the gamestick that is essentially a usb drive still needs a power cable making the device pretty f*cking redundant, as it is meant to be portable. But it ain't portable if you have to carry a f*ck off plug around as well.

I like the idea of these things, but they need to have as much functionality as your phone, but with more power and more options.

I think the nVidia shield just got portal 2 and half life 2 exclusive to it. Now THAT is proper handheld/portable gaming that I want.

Now what I have always said is that Nintendo should go for this buisness model. Sell a $100 console that has no disc drive, uses a controller and has full access to the virtual console and all the old classic and modern nintendo games. To make it a proper arcade box again.

Now that would f*cking sell. But they won't do it.

I could see it happening.

Google and Razer presents the Android TV game console:

androidgame

$120 with controller

Android TV interface

nVidia Tegra K1

4GB RAM

500GB HDD drive

Google Play games

nVidia Grid cloud gaming

nVidia GameStream

Playstation Now

Edited by xrCore

The thing about Android consoles is that some people are stupid enough to think they compete with Xbox/PS/Nintendo. They don't realize it is it's own thing.

I'll get one if it's affordable, as I've been on the lookout for a dedicated emulator machine. Would get an Ouya, but I don't like the controller shape.

I'm not interested in it.

If it can't play top tier games that are available on PC, PS4 and X1, it can't compete with them

Is there anything even worth playing on the Google Play store?

Is there anything even worth playing on the Google Play store?

Godzilla-Smash-3-Featured-420x215.jpg

Razer and Google making a console running on android TV?

So, it's going to be overpriced, thanks to razer's terribly priced hardware, and only play android games. So in other words it's going to be one big fail.

Edited by TheMcSame