Difference between 30fps and 60fps

r34ld34l

Here is a website that clearly shows the difference between 30fps and 60fps and why you should aim for 60fps.
Left video is always 30fps, right one is always 60fps, if videos are out of sync just reload (F5) the page. Of course there is no GTA V, but many other games can give you an idea how it will look on PC and assuming on PS4/XBOX1 versus PS3 and Xbox 360.

http://www.30vs60.com/

And here is doing simple 360* view in 30fps and 60fps.

http://www.30vs60fps.com/

Edited by r34ld34l
  • Like 2

It's the PC forum, we already know the difference between 30 and 60fps.

This thread is obvious for new guys, who don't know the difference or are claiming we can only see 24fps. Topic is a dead giveaway.

• Like 2

Thanks was interesting I didnt know the difference tbh.

After those videos I can clearly see 60fps is far better. Its smoother and more fluid gameplay.

Thanks for putting this up, hopefully this proves to some non-believers that there is certainly a difference.

i stil can't tell the MOFO difference :sui:

edit:

difference can be see when slowed doooowwwnn.

Edited by K20

Maro Hannover

i HAVE THE BEST Answer

stock-photo-a-little-girl-putting-one-s-

The Answer Is:

FPS means Fraps per second. maybe Frams means picture or frame whatever. 30FPS takes 30 frames or Pictures per second and 60FPS takes 60 frames or Pictures per second So you will notice The Movement will be much detailed in 60fps. it is believed that next gen would use 60FPS. Old-Gen is 30FPS. So Next Gen details in frames will be better two time than Old-Gen.

Cookie Please :D

The difference is noticeable, yes, but if some of you actually can't stand playing at 30fps, please, let me know and I'll add your name to my "crying pussies" list.

The difference is quite noticeable. Far Cry 3 looks kind of odd at 60FPS, though, for whatever reason. The player animations work a little too fast for my taste, but maybe that is because the animations are supposed to be rendered at 30 frames per second; though, I'm not sure on this. Other than that, more FPS is definitely better than less. If you compare 30 and 60 FPS with each other, then the latter will look smoother, but it won't be a deciding factor in every game. In fact, there are games that shouldn't even surpass the framerate of the console versions, at least not by far.

Every PC gamer that has experienced TRUE 30 fps and TRUE 60 fps knows the difference. Many people say it's pointless, that the human eye can't tell the difference blah blah blah, all sorts of bullsh*t. However, I find that anything over 60 can be quite annoyin sometimes. The game can end up looking like it's playing on fast forward.

Edited by Skizzo45

I can't tell much with that quality.

Good.

Sorry? Why is that good?

Because you are the only one, that is good.

Interesting way of thinking.

I am totally annoyed by sub 60 in PC games, but nope I could barely see it on that site.

kipakolonyasi

It's the PC forum, we already know the difference between 30 and 60fps.

you're an elitist.

• Like 2

I cannot see any difference in the 360° video... but in the first one with the flames, I could notice that the 60fps one is smoother, but honestly .. when I'm sh*tfaced, the 30fps are just as smooth as 60fps.

But this proves that our eyes can be trained :D pretty interesting... I am sure some of you guys see a much bigger difference than I do since I'm used to playing on low graphic settings ...

Edited by Bozzah

BS_BlackScout

Oh, this will turn into a fight soon...
I can see the diference...
I can't resist the smoothness of the 60FPS =)

Edited by BlackScout

As an avid PC user and I guess "part time" console user (only play a select few games and it's rare when I do) I see more than only visual differences between framerates. Sure it looks a lot smoother in 60 compared to 30 but there's more to it than just that. The gameplay can change completely depending on the game. Games where fast reaction times and fine movements are required the framerate also affects how often the game feeds you with new information aswell as how often it will read your inputs. Because during the last frame it read your inputs and during the next frame it shows you the result, so doubling the framerate means you (in simple terms) get double accuracy and precision aswell as the ability to time things even more precisely than before.

But higher framerates also lead to debates like screen tearing (when only part of the full image gets shown before a new one begins to draw creating a sudden cut in the resulting image). Personally I dont care about that, my games can screen tear all they want because having such frequent input checks is important to me regardless if I'm using controller or mouse+keyboard. It's only when it gets insanely high it becomes a problem, like 300FPS+ or so is when the image might get cut a little too often depending on the game.

In short a higher framerate wont only look better, it will also respond to your inputs a lot better.

• Like 2

It's not even so much the visual aspect of things that makes me demand 60 fps from my games, it's the input side that has me hating anything below 60. It just feels sluggish and unresponsive. Hell even higher than 60 fps has marked improvements in input latency and response times. Any twitch shooter should be 100+ fps to really make it a competitive experience. Anything less is enough time to really make a difference in winning or losing.

Bottom line is, 60 fps is not some unreachable thing. Game developers choose 30 fps because it's a much more lax target that allows them to put in more eye candy. The drooling masses won't notice or care about 30 vs 60 frames per second, but the visual quality difference that game developers can achieve between them is more important to these morons. Shame, but it is what it is.

Sadly I am expecting GTA V to have a similar 30 fps cap experience on my PC as I did with GTA IV (and every other past GTA port before then.) There's a reason the 3D era games had built in frame-limiters around 25-30 fps caps. The games are BUILT for 30 fps. Animations, cutscenes, even the physics and ballistics are all built for that 30 fps mark. Pushing beyond it can cause destructive consequences. So for me on PC, I get to crank everything up on GTA IV 100 both view distances and best shadows etc, and get guaranteed 30 fps at all times. It's not as smooth as 60 fps, but it's consistent. If I uncapped the frame-rate or capped it at 60, my fps would be fluctuating all over the place and that's far more distracting and difficult to play with then a constant frame-rate. And bear in mind, that's with the rig in my signature. I STILL can't get a minimum 60 fps with decent settings in GTA IV, the world just wasn't built around it. It's going to take years and years of processor clock-for-clock performance increases to be able to brute force that game past 60 fps minimum performance levels.

Hoping for a better experience with V, but planning for the worst.

• Like 3

CPU: i7 3770k 4.6Ghz 1.24v CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 Push/Pull GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Mobo: ASRock z77 Extreme4 RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz PSU: BFG Tech EX-1200W Case: Coolermaster HAF X O/S: Windows 8.1 Pro x64 SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB

Not gonna bullsh*t, But I couldn't even see the difference. They look Identical to me..

60 vs 30 fps is not just about how smooth it looks, but how smooth it responds (less input lag). I can't stand racing games unless they run at 60fps, and in GTA4 as soon as the frames per second dropped below 50 it was really annoying for me, the controls didn't feel right unless the game was above the 60fps mark (and no, it wasn't a VSync issue).

The difference is obvious. if you have never played a game at 60fps you won't notice the difference,

The difference is obvious. if you have never played a game at 60fps you won't notice the difference,

Exactly this. When my brother used my old PC (which now is his old PC), he played games at 25-40 FPS. I asked him how can you play like this? And he said that he was completely fine with the way it runs and that he was satisfied. When I let him play on my PC for a while where the FPS was 60+ all the time. He immediately noticed the difference and couldn`t really get back to his old PC after experiencing 60+ FPS. So 30?60? Yeah it does matter, A LOT. Once you experience the 60 you won`t want to go back to 30.

I still get a weird feeling when switching from 60 on PC to 30 on GTA5 on Xbox. After around an hour of playing GTA5 on my Xbox I don`t really notice the 30, but if I play something on my PC at 60+ and then go to the 30 on xbox. Immediately I see the difference. It`s to the point where you can almost see the frames switching to the next one.

Heh. Imagine like 15 or 20 years later. People will say "Jesus! How can you play on 60 FPS? 120 is the minimum" when all the "next gen" screens are out with 0,1 MS response time and 4k resolution being the standard.

• Like 3

Not gonna bullsh*t, But I couldn't even see the difference. They look Identical to me..

Then you should try playing a game with 60 fps and the same game with 30 fps, you'll get it right away.

948185.png

AdaChanDesu

My PC's configurations have always been too sh*t to run games on a stable 60 FPS, sometimes I had to deal with a sub-30, but you'd have to really be in some sort of denial process in order to not see how huge of a difference 30 vs 60 makes ^.^

_FRANKENSTEIN_

You need a doctor man, difference is 100% noticeable... It is not about picture quality, it is about smoothness which makes a game more enjoyable and realistic, once you play at 60fps you will never wish to get back to 30fps gaming. But let's be clear 30fps is pretty much playable, though 60fps lets you experience the game in its full glory.

• Like 2

Maro Hannover

Watch in 1080p YouTube supports 60FPS now! :D

WHAT!

That made me Dissy.

I prefer 30FPS