Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Octavio89

Things GTA IV did better than GTA V

Recommended Posts

Outlaw from the West

f*cking everything, but I’ll name a few that really would’ve made V a true worthy successor IV

 

• A living world - Everytime I load up IV, it always feels different. NPCs do different things and act different sometimes, it just gives me a vibe that LC actually exists, and with some technological and cultural changes (clothing, music, more modern cars), it could definitely be a true NYC experience. Not only that, but NPCs interact with one another. I saw a guy crossing the street and a car accidently bumped into him, so he pulls the guy outta the car and they get into a full on brawl that gets stopped by the police arresting one of them. V lacks any sort of REAL vibe to people, they just stand in a circle talking or walking, just complete zombies.

 

Physics - Not always a huge fan of crashing into a wall, but sh*t it’s realistic and adds authenticity to the game. Don’t get me wrong, V’s driving is fun most times, but it gets old fast when ever car handles the SAME. They’re just basically glued to the ground and never spin out which really takes out the realistic vibes.

 

• Simple missions and activities - Robbing a truckload full of drugs to sell them on the streets. Assassinating a Russian crime boss in his own club. Delivering stolen cars to a lockup. Rappelling down a government skyscraper to save an informant and giving them to another government agency. Assaulting a rival club’s hangout and stealing their heroin. One sticks out, doesn’t it? V’s missions started out simple but just went full blown Hollywood action movie after the diamonds heist. It’s just too over the top and more suited to young kids/teens, which is the complete opposite for IV. To truly enjoy the masterpiece that is GTA IV, you need to understand the unspoken gritty nature of the heinous acts committed by Niko/Johnny/Luis. Most of the time, there is no comedic relief (except for a line or two of dialogue).

 

• Weapon sounds - Pretty self explanatory. V’s weapons sound like nerf blasters compared to IV’s.

 

I hope for VI R* takes a look back to IV for its inspiration. It’ll be a timeless game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Legion of Hell

The A.I, Physics, and Wanted system is actually realistic and not broken like V was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
El Penguin Bobo
5 hours ago, Hot Pursuit said:

The A.I, Physics, and Wanted system is actually realistic and not broken like V was

Hot Pursuit? Is that you? I thought you didn't like "snore"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Legion of Hell
5 hours ago, El Penguin Bobo said:

Hot Pursuit? Is that you? I thought you didn't like "snore"?

I was, but not anymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
El Penguin Bobo
Just now, Hot Pursuit said:

I was, but not anymore

Good to know that you changed over the past years. Your friend ChiroVette however still calls GTA IV, "snore", lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Legion of Hell
2 minutes ago, El Penguin Bobo said:

Good to know that you changed over the past years. Your friend ChiroVette however still calls GTA IV, "snore", lol.

Thanks.. I never talked to him since his inactivity, but it's okay though, let him have his own fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JC_HUMBLE

It might be something insignificant but I like how your car's tires can make contact with sidewalks for example if you drift or in a collision. In GTA V they are just solid bumps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GiveMeLiberty78

One thing that I like about GTAIV - the music, as Fernando Martinez might say, makes the people feel touched. Well, it's good listening if nothing else and very broad, from Russian pop to reggae to house music and crazy DJs spouting the usual nonesense and memorable one-liners, including a computer DJ.
 

Thanks to GTAIV, I now know what the track 'Call pon dem' by Chezidek is about:

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/call-pon-dem-call-pon-dem.html

 

I think that the range of music in GTAIV is greater than in GTAV, and it really fits the cultural diversity in GTA5. GTA5 feels to me a bit more one-dimensional, but I still quite like its music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, GiveMeLiberty78 said:

 

 

I think that the range of music in GTAIV is greater than in GTAV, and it really fits the cultural diversity 

This! There's plenty of good music in V but going through the stations in it after playing IV it's like, that's it? In both games you have the standard rock, rap, dance etc stations that you'd expect in any game, but in V that's all there is whereas in IV there's the regular stations AND a bunch of unusual/niche ones that fit with the city and characters and atmosphere and make it so much more interesting. So you can listen to Eastern European music when in Hove Beach, the crazy dancehall station when working with Little Jacob, jazz when working with the mafia or The Journey for some serious atmosphere etc. The stations themselves have more character too, even the "regular" ones like the rock station with Iggy Pop or the rap station that's made to sound just like a New York rap station and with tons of Liberty City references in and between the songs. Whereas in V a lot of the stations are just meh between the songs (eg the rap stations just have no character to them at all).

 

A few of the V stations have some character (eg Channel X is pretty cool) and there is some music that fits the vibe of the game quite well but it's not to the same extent. IV's radio adds to the immersion and atmosphere of the game a lot more. In V it's like, ok these are the radio stations people expect to have, check. In IV it comes across as much more inspired and creative.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThatKyloRenGuy

Just like III, VC, SA, LCS, and VCS, in IV and EFLC, your playable character is both a hero AND a villain. Well, the same could be said about Michael and Franklin from V, but Trevor is just an outright villain. Pretty much all GTA protagonists except for Trevor, Claude Speed (from GTA II, and I believe he’s an entirely different character from III’s Claude), and the protagonists from 1, Advance, and Online (who are all just bland AF) are practically no different than Bonnie and Clyde or even Robin Hood when you really think about it. However, in my mind, saying the same about Trevor Philips or Claude Speed is pushing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eugene H. Krabs

The antagonists are more memorable. We only see Bulgarin for 2 missions (not counting TBoGT) but even he's more developed than Wei Cheng. In fact, I bet you guys forgot he existed until I mentioned him. Or how about Stretch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iiCriminnaaL 49
Just now, Eugene H. Krabs said:

The antagonists are more memorable. We only see Bulgarin for 2 missions (not counting TBoGT) but even he's more developed than Wei Cheng. In fact, I bet you guys forgot he existed until I mentioned him. Or how about Stretch?

I admit that Bulgarin getting killed by Niko could've been way more intense than it is to Luis, but nonetheless, I find it interesting how Niko and Bulgarin, despite being old enemies, didn't become each other's main enemies. They both were trying to make it in Liberty City, and ended up making themselves new enemies that really affected their lives. Dimitri being Bulgarin's friend even adds more to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
santosvagos

i prefer Dimitri to Bulgarin as Niko's enemies since Bulgarin is a joke the same as Jimmy P . Dimitri himself is a mastermind , he set the plans like kidnapping Roman to lure Niko into his set up so the Russians can kill him .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheOriginalGunslinger
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Eugene H. Krabs said:

The antagonists are more memorable. We only see Bulgarin for 2 missions (not counting TBoGT) but even he's more developed than Wei Cheng. In fact, I bet you guys forgot he existed until I mentioned him. Or how about Stretch?

This.

 

I don’t even consider those guys in V antagonists. To quote Niko Bellic I thought they were a “f*cking joke. A joke”.

 

@0:[email protected]:02

 

 

Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tockip

Deep and realistic story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eugene H. Krabs
Posted (edited)

Adding onto my post about IV's antagonists being more memorable:

 

After Dimitri's betrayal, you don't physically see him again until the end of the game, but, as I said about Bulgarin, even he's far more memorable than V's antagonists. The guy betrays Niko and everybody else he's ever been in contact with. Then he burns down his apartment and his cousin's business, kidnaps Roman, blackmails his close friend over his sexuality, and if Niko accepts the deal, stabs his back AGAIN and kills the only family member he truly has in his life - at his wedding, no less.

 

V's "antagonists" can never hold a candle to all of that.

Edited by Eugene H. Krabs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iiCriminnaaL 49
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Eugene H. Krabs said:

Adding onto my post about IV's antagonists being more memorable:

 

After Dimitri's betrayal, you don't physically see him again until the end of the game, but, as I said about Bulgarin, even he's far more memorable than V's antagonists. The guy betrays Niko and everybody else he's ever been in contact with. Then he burns down his apartment and his cousin's business, kidnaps Roman, blackmails his close friend over his sexuality, and if Niko accepts the deal, stabs his back AGAIN and kills the only family member he truly has in his life - at his wedding, no less.

While some people might consider this a weakness, I see it more of good writing. Instead of showing up every now and then, acting like a douche to the protagonist while the latter doesn't try to take him out due to the possible consequences, as you mentioned, Dimitri double-crosses Niko, sells him down to Bulgarin, and then fades out of the screen. He taunts Niko with his phone calls every now and then, burns his and Roman's apartment, as well as kidnaps the latter after having already gotten his business' garage burnt out (and eventually gets him killed while he sends his goon after Niko in case the latter accepted the deal). That makes you really want to get him so bad.

 

Feels somewhat similar to Sonny Forelli, except that Sonny is not as well developed, since his phone calls are mostly friendly, and he doesn't screw Tommy and his businesses over until the last two missions of the story.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eugene H. Krabs
2 hours ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

While some people might consider this a weakness, I see it more of good writing. Instead of showing up every now and then, acting like a douche to the protagonist while the latter doesn't try to take him out due to the possible consequences, as you mentioned, Dimitri double-crosses Niko, sells him down to Bulgarin, and then fades out of the screen. He taunts Niko with his phone calls every now and then, burns his and Roman's apartment, as well as kidnaps the latter after having already gotten his business' garage burnt out (and eventually gets him killed while he sends his goon after Niko in case the latter accepted the deal). That makes you really want to get him so bad.

 

Feels somewhat similar to Sonny Forelli, except that Sonny is not as well developed, since his phone calls are mostly friendly, and he doesn't screw Tommy and his businesses over until the last two missions of the story.

Yeah, I agree. It used to bug me how he just faded after betraying you, but my most recent playthroughs have really made me appreciate that. Also it reminds me of Gary Smith from Bully, since he also disappeared after betraying you, and he spent the whole game spreading BS rumors and turning the school into a hellhole, all before getting a well-deserved beating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheOriginalGunslinger
3 hours ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

Feels somewhat similar to Sonny Forelli, except that Sonny is not as well developed, since his phone calls are mostly friendly, and he doesn't screw Tommy and his businesses over until the last two missions of the story.

Speaking of Sonny... I still think this is one of the best phone calls in GTA history. Aside from the good ones in IV of course.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
7 hours ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

While some people might consider this a weakness, I see it more of good writing. Instead of showing up every now and then, acting like a douche to the protagonist while the latter doesn't try to take him out due to the possible consequences, as you mentioned, Dimitri double-crosses Niko, sells him down to Bulgarin, and then fades out of the screen. He taunts Niko with his phone calls every now and then, burns his and Roman's apartment, as well as kidnaps the latter after having already gotten his business' garage burnt out (and eventually gets him killed while he sends his goon after Niko in case the latter accepted the deal). That makes you really want to get him so bad.

 

Feels somewhat similar to Sonny Forelli, except that Sonny is not as well developed, since his phone calls are mostly friendly, and he doesn't screw Tommy and his businesses over until the last two missions of the story.

They did it so well that I didn't even notice it was that long that you don't see him. His character makes enough of an impact when you first meet him and then the phone calls and mentions of him afterwards are done so effectively that he feels like a constant presence and threat in the game anyway. Like when he texts you that picture of Roman kidnapped, damn, certainly as effective as seeing him pop up in a random mission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty
14 hours ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

While some people might consider this a weakness, I see it more of good writing. Instead of showing up every now and then, acting like a douche to the protagonist while the latter doesn't try to take him out due to the possible consequences, as you mentioned, Dimitri double-crosses Niko, sells him down to Bulgarin, and then fades out of the screen. He taunts Niko with his phone calls every now and then, burns his and Roman's apartment, as well as kidnaps the latter after having already gotten his business' garage burnt out (and eventually gets him killed while he sends his goon after Niko in case the latter accepted the deal). That makes you really want to get him so bad..

To be honest it really just shows how much of a coward Dimitri is and he simply can't face Niko. Besides I think it would've been silly if Dimitri turned up say halfway through the story again and Niko didn't do anything. I think the way Dimiri's placed as the puppeteer pulling the strings is to give the final two choices some meaning and if Dimitiri was over exposed it would've watered down the choice IMO.

 

He has a enough of a presence where he's not forgotten (Um Stretch), but the rest of the story still develops naturally like how Niko's pursuing Darko and the diamond ballsup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeansowaty
1 hour ago, SonOfLiberty said:

To be honest it really just shows how much of a coward Dimitri is and he simply can't face Niko. Besides I think it would've been silly if Dimitri turned up say halfway through the story again and Niko didn't do anything. I think the way Dimiri's placed as the puppeteer pulling the strings is to give the final two choices some meaning and if Dimitiri was over exposed it would've watered down the choice IMO.

 

He has a enough of a presence where he's not forgotten (Um Stretch), but the rest of the story still develops naturally like how Niko's pursuing Darko and the diamond ballsup.

A little off-topic but that's imo what ruined Tenpenny's character. He was just shown far too much in the story and CJ had countless opportunities to shut him up but he preferred to be his bitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
Posted (edited)

The way cops search for you is so much better. This was hit home to me yesterday when I was messing around in Bohan going in and out of apartment buildings, up to the roofs and then jumping across to fire escapes on others and back down the stairs etc while having a two star wanted level, playing cat and mouse with the cops. At one point I was standing on a ledge above a back door of an apartment block, and I heard the door below me open and saw a cop come out looking for me. Oh sh*t I thought, he's going to turn around and shoot me. But no! Instead he didn't happen to turn around and continued on with his back to me muttering something about when he finds me, turned a corner back to the street and I could jump down and escape. Phew.

 

If this was V not only would there not have been an open building for the cop to go through in the first place, but the cop would've already known exactly where I was by magic and turned around (or in fact, probably would've already been walking backwards with a gun trained on me before he could even see me) and shot me, every single time. Booooring.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
El Penguin Bobo

ew, why would you bump this thread, now it's gonna be WWXV up in this thread. 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8

I wouldn't consider posting in a popular thread that's been around for 5 years and was last posted in this month a bump 😛 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shauny7488

Single player DLC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ertan Soner
On 7/31/2019 at 11:13 AM, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

The way cops search for you is so much better. This was hit home to me yesterday when I was messing around in Bohan going in and out of apartment buildings, up to the roofs and then jumping across to fire escapes on others and back down the stairs etc while having a two star wanted level, playing cat and mouse with the cops. At one point I was standing on a ledge above a back door of an apartment block, and I heard the door below me open and saw a cop come out looking for me. Oh sh*t I thought, he's going to turn around and shoot me. But no! Instead he didn't happen to turn around and continued on with his back to me muttering something about when he finds me, turned a corner back to the street and I could jump down and escape. Phew.

 

If this was V not only would there not have been an open building for the cop to go through in the first place, but the cop would've already known exactly where I was by magic and turned around (or in fact, probably would've already been walking backwards with a gun trained on me before he could even see me) and shot me, every single time. Booooring.

You explained it perfectly. Well done.

On 8/4/2019 at 4:54 PM, Shauny7488 said:

Single player DLC

But there must be sp dlc for gta 5 at the first place to compare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iiCriminnaaL 49
3 hours ago, Ertan Soner said:

But there must be sp dlc for gta 5 at the first place to compare. 

That's the point. R* went "Screw it" and invested more in GTA Online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
santosvagos
14 hours ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

That's the point. R* went "Screw it" and invested more in GTA Online.

Because GTA Online is their cash cow . To me , it looks like game developers replace their passion with money .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max.pain

this is something i find special in gta 4 so i’m not saying it as a better than gta 5 thing. unlike so many other games in the series, the player doesn’t have robocop accuary and should work on the aimming to get clean headshots and kills, this feels really great and unique

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.