3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Octavio89

Things GTA IV did better than GTA V

TheOriginalGunslinger

The endings. I actually prefer the Revenge Ending more imo. I get to kill Dimitri on the boat you entered the country on and I get to kill that piece of sh*t Pecorino (oops, I meant “it’s the f*cking Pegorino’s man :lol:). Kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

BbzCR3.gif

One of several favorite lines Niko speaks...

Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger

Miamivicecity
5 hours ago, TheOriginalGunslinger said:

The endings. I actually prefer the Revenge Ending more imo. I get to kill Dimitri on the boat you entered the country on and I get to kill that piece of sh*t Pecorino (oops, I meant “it’s the f*cking Pegorino’s man :lol:). Kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

BbzCR3.gif

One of several favorite lines Niko speaks...

Yeah. I think almost everyone would universally agree (even GTA V fans) that GTA V's endings are rushed, lack lustre and not very satisfying. I prefer the Deal ending as killing Dimitri at the foot of the Statue Of Happiness is some nice poetic justice. 

As much as I enjoy roasting Trevor like a human spit roast the mission/ending itself is still pretty crap and feels like an afterthought. Same with Michael's, but even the "Death Wish" ending is still really poor by GTA standards. There's no lead up. They do the "Big Score" and then Franklin's (Whose been pretty useless up until this point) vaulted to make a choice like he's on a damn game show lol. 

It isn't as smart as GTA IV which had a nice lead up letting the players choose Deal or Revenge builiding up to some kind of conclusion. This is one of the areas where GTA V deserves all the flack it gets for the story. It isn't the only area, but it's a main culprit.

TheOriginalGunslinger
21 hours ago, Miamivicecity said:

Yeah. I think almost everyone would universally agree (even GTA V fans) that GTA V's endings are rushed, lack lustre and not very satisfying. I prefer the Deal ending as killing Dimitri at the foot of the Statue Of Happiness is some nice poetic justice. 

As much as I enjoy roasting Trevor like a human spit roast the mission/ending itself is still pretty crap and feels like an afterthought.

The whole Trevor running away from Franklin thing was so stupid imo. Probably one the worst things I’ve seen in a GTA game. Trevor who takes on and isn’t scared of Merryweather, the O’Neals, Police, etc... throughout the game all of a sudden runs away like a bitch literally at the ending of the story. Is this how one of the most overrated characters in GTA goes out after seeing him be an over the top (maybe too over the top at times) character that some people drooled over throughout V? It’s laughable really.

JB1982

I disagree that there is no build up to the final choice in V. Trevor has been a problem for the FIB throughout the story whilst Michael has become a problem for Devin Weston. There is plenty of build up to lead to that choice.

Where I would say there is an issue is that the FIB ask Franklin to kill Trevor. They've not really had much dealings with Franklin directly as Michael is their contact. I think it would have made more sense to have given Michael that choice. In fact, instead of giving one character three choices I would like to have seen each character be given a choice:

Franklin - Ordered to kill Michael by Devin Weston. This fits with not only Michael crossing Weston but that Franklin has been doing a lot of work for Weston.

Michael - Ordered to kill Trevor by the FIB. It fits with what I have mentioned above but I think it would have been a tragic conclusion to their story.

Trevor - The Deathwish option. It just fits his character that he would go for the tough, insane, option of taking them all on.

Out of the three, killing Michael and Trevor doesn't satisfy me. The Third Way certainly seems to be the more thought out ending. But it still doesn't compare with the two endings for IV. Both Deal and Revenge are really powerful in their own right regardless of which is your preference.

Miamivicecity
1 hour ago, JB1982 said:

I disagree that there is no build up to the final choice in V. Trevor has been a problem for the FIB throughout the story whilst Michael has become a problem for Devin Weston. There is plenty of build up to lead to that choice.

Oh I definitely get what you're saying, but for me the fact the choice happens right at the end completely squanders Stretch and Wei Cheng and if you choose the other endings they're completely ignored leaving massive plot holes opened.

The thing I like about Deal and Revenge is the consequences can be felt which make the actual endings far more intense and satisfying. In GTA V it's like they were so fixated on the big score the forgot they had all these people that had to be taken out. There's no systematic build up leading to a final conclusion. It's all thrown into a blender so to speak and the end result is a giant mess.

Sometimes I wonder why they even bothered with multiple endings in the first place. Everyone knows GTA V's writing isn't anywhere near on the same level as GTA IV. Instead of having two rush job endings and about more thought (but very flawed) one they could've put all of their eggs into one basket and had an ending atleast on par with the 3D era endings. 

TheSantader25

While I certainly believe no HD era ending comes close to the 3D era ones I gotta say the whole reason devin suddenly becomes annoyed by Michael is a rushed mess. Michael suddenly jumps out of the office to chase Molly just for a made up reason that is laughed at by Solomon at the end of the mission. It seems like a cheap excuse to ruin the Devin/Michael Relationship and to say "Look!FIB have beef with Trevor, Michael needs one too. How about Devin?". 

On the top of that I never felt satisfied while killing Haines. He was an antagonist I loved to hate and couldn't wait to kill in the game and an antagonist that actually seemed like an antagonist unlike the others but you're given a long range approach to him. The best thing I could do was firing an RPG. V has good mission design. But they dropped the ball hard with the last mission. All the kills seem like Lester's Assassinations and aren't unique like they should be. This game's fifth chapter is a true rushed mess that if it was done right could actually make the game have a great respectable story. f*ck GTA O for this. 

Edited by TheSantader25

TheOriginalGunslinger
15 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

While I certainly believe no HD era ending comes close to the 3D era ones 

Definitely gotta agree with this! Vice City and San Andreas are something special and my two favs coming out of the 3D era. Vice City Stories would probably be my third even if it’s not that popular. VCS is so underrated to some. I loved that game.

TheSantader25
15 minutes ago, TheOriginalGunslinger said:

Definitely gotta agree with this! Vice City and San Andreas are something special and my two favs coming out of the 3D era. Vice City Stories would probably be my third even if it’s not that popular. VCS is so underrated to some. I loved that game.

VCS ending is intense as hell as well. The whole helicopter part is my favorite. 

I'd say it's something like this IMO in terms of endings:

1)SA

2)VCS

3)VC

4)III

5)TBOGT(if you add the two final missions together cause I feel like they are two parts of a finale) 

6)IV

7)TLAD=V

8)LCS

I know some may disagree that IV was better than III or VC but I personally felt more tension during those finales.

Edited by TheSantader25

Miamivicecity
20 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

While I certainly believe no HD era ending comes close to the 3D era ones I gotta say the whole reason devin suddenly becomes annoyed by Michael is a rushed mess. Michael suddenly jumps out of the office to chase Molly just for a made up reason that is laughed at by Solomon at the end of the mission. It seems like a cheap excuse to ruin the Devin/Michael Relationship and to say "Look!FIB have beef with Trevor, Michael needs one too. How about Devin?". 

On the top of that I never felt satisfied while killing Haines. He was an antagonist I loved to hate and couldn't wait to kill in the game and an antagonist that actually seemed like an antagonist unlike the others but you're given a long range approach to him. The best thing I could do was firing an RPG. V has good mission design. But they dropped the ball hard with the last mission. All the kills seem like Lester's Assassinations and aren't unique like they should be. This game's fifth chapter is a true rushed mess that if it was done right could actually make the game have a great respectable story. f*ck GTA O for this. 

I think the weakest part is the whole "you kill my antagonist" sh*t. It's corny and feels like something ripped out of bad 80s B grade action flick.

TheOriginalGunslinger

>

Seriously, wtf is that?

Miamivicecity
5 hours ago, TheOriginalGunslinger said:

>

Seriously, wtf is that?

It's amazing how R* dropped the ball on such a small detail. It's laziness at its finest. I love how the mission passed jingles in GTA IV change depending on the mood/atmosphere.

I mean it's not necessarily one of those things that makes or break a game, but it's hard to ignore. GTA V's honestly gives me a headache. 

TheSantader25
4 hours ago, Miamivicecity said:

It's amazing how R* dropped the ball on such a small detail. It's laziness at its finest. I love how the mission passed jingles in GTA IV change depending on the mood/atmosphere.

I mean it's not necessarily one of those things that makes or break a game, but it's hard to ignore. GTA V's honestly gives me a headache. 

It's stupidity more than laziness. They had 6 ending themes(2 for each protagonist) and they somehow cut it out. One of those stupid design choices they love to make in their games. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Miamivicecity
2 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

It's stupidity more than laziness. They had 6 ending themes(2 for each protagonist) and they somehow cut it out. 

Hmmm interesting, but to be honest those still sound pretty bad albeit not as bad as what's in GTA V now. I still think regarding mission passed jingles Vice City is the most epic and recognizable. GTA IV for variety.

TheSantader25
2 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

Hmmm interesting, but to be honest those still sound pretty bad albeit not as bad as what's in GTA V now. I still think regarding mission passed jingles Vice City is the most epic and recognizable. GTA IV for variety.

It was clearly a work in progress thing that was cut.A bit more of tweaking and it could work well. I don't know why they didn't use the "Welcome to Los Santos" Theme. It fits the game. I liked Michael and Trevor's here though. 

For me SA comes first. Followed by VC and IV. 

Edited by TheSantader25

TheFireMZL

The pedestrians. GTA V pedestrians are too sensitive, when you punch one of them, they fall and faint/die. But, when you punch a GTA IV pedestrian, they are gonna fight with you. You can't stand near the GTA V pedestrians, because they call immediatly the police. If you stand near a GTA IV pedestrian, the most you can get is the same pedestrian ok with you. And the police, if you stand near GTA V police, they are real ice cold killas. They starts to want arrest you, without you having provoked them. If you stand near a GTA IV police, they will be ok with you (at least if don't have a wanted level, i guess) and they don't do anything, and they stop the crime without killing someone. And the reactions of the IV pedestrians are more realistic, because they can react dynamically to everything, a example when the city is cold, they gonna feel cold. And when the GTA IV pedestrians are shot, they don't die automatically instantly like the GTA V ones 

Edited by TheFireMZL
Fix some errors

Miamivicecity
10 hours ago, TheFireMZL said:

The pedestrians. GTA V pedestrians are too sensitive, when you punch one of them, they fall and faint/die. But, when you punch a GTA IV pedestrian, they are gonna fight with you. You can't stand near the GTA V pedestrians, because they call immediatly the police. If you stand near a GTA IV pedestrian, the most you can get is the same pedestrian ok with you. And the police, if you stand near GTA V police, they are real ice cold killas. They starts to want arrest you, without you having provoked them. If you stand near a GTA IV police, they will be ok with you (at least if don't have a wanted level, i guess) and they don't do anything, and they stop the crime without killing someone. And the reactions of the IV pedestrians are more realistic, because they can react dynamically to everything, a example when the city is cold, they gonna feel cold. And when the GTA IV pedestrians are shot, they don't die automatically instantly like the GTA V ones 

As I said in the "Pedestrians everyone hates" thread in the GTA series forum the biggest problem is inconsistency. It's comical (and not in a good way) how overly sensitive they are yet when it comes to actually fighting they're weak sauce. I can remember quite a number of fights in GTA IV where they put up a decent fight and if you're being attacked by more than one be prepared to have your arse handed to you..

GTA V on the other hand they have no capacity to fight in groups and just stand back waiting for their turn. It doesn't really matter anyway since they can't take more than a couple of punches before hitting the deck. Pathetic. 

TheSantader25
59 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

if you're being attacked by more than one be prepared to have your arse handed to you..

Except if you stand on the top of a car they all look like idiots 😉

Edited by TheSantader25

Miamivicecity
11 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Except if you stand on the top of a car they all look like idiots 😉

The idiots in GTA V wouldn't even get that far because they'd all be laying on the ground from ONE punch.😜 

Emmi

GTAV melee is a complete joke ... the SUPER PUNCH ... one punch, opponent DEAD. looks silly and is completely f*cked up.

TheOriginalGunslinger
4 hours ago, Emmi said:

GTAV melee is a complete joke ... the SUPER PUNCH ... one punch, opponent DEAD. looks silly and is completely f*cked up.

The combos Niko does are badass.

TEMPL4R
On 12/7/2018 at 3:38 PM, Emmi said:

Plus gunfights is ridiculous , I mean it's like you playing with toys or airsoft guns.

TheOriginalGunslinger
19 hours ago, TEMPL4R said:

Plus gunfights is ridiculous , I mean it's like you playing with toys or airsoft guns.

Honestly. The gun noises in V are quite underwhelming.

ViceBoy69

Vice City Stories is not as popular as it should be because Rockstar decided to leave it stuck on a console, it should have been a pc game along with LCS , i like both games and always wished they had made it to pc.

Miamivicecity

I like that the body damage in GTA IV isn't so over the top. Niko gets minor cuts and abrasions and blood on his clothes, but it isn't too over done. In GTA V it's silly in some cutscenes when the protagonists look like they've been ran over by a truck and they carry on with the conversation like normal lol.