3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Octavio89

Things GTA IV did better than GTA V

Miamivicecity
24 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

-I just realized that GTA IV(+EFLC) is the last R* game without antagonists that are a part of the government. RDR, LA NOIRE, MP3, GTA V, RDR2 all have antagonists from the government which shows how R* seems to be obsessed to have one of this type of antagonists in their games. Which really ruins the variety aspect of antagonists. They rarely write good unique "criminal antagonists" anymore. 

Good point. That's what I like about Dimitri. He's not a cliched corrupt government/law figure as it gets tiring after a while, but it fits in better IMO with LA Noire and the Red Dead games. For GTA I prefer "criminal antagonists" in the traditional sense.

TheSantader25
4 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

Good point. That's what I like about Dimitri. He's not a cliched corrupt government/law figure as it gets tiring after a while, but it fits in better IMO with LA Noire and the Red Dead games. For GTA I prefer "criminal antagonists" in the traditional sense.

There's nothing wrong with it as long as they use it accordingly. They did it with Tenpenny and since it was the first one it was fresh. Also let's not forget that SA had it's own respectable criminal antagonists as well. tbh it's getting boring now. They need to take a break from it. Writing a good criminal antagonist is harder and that's why I think they are avoiding it. 

ThatKyloRenGuy

@Miamivicecity and @TheSantader25 I agree with both of you. I think corrupt law enforcement/government agent or officer antagonist can suit a GTA game as long as it’s done right. Mobster, gangster, biker, or outlaw antagonists are often harder to do (especially for a game centered around those types of people) which is why not only R* isn’t doing it near as often anymore, and also why many movies, TV shows, books, and video games in general are doing the cliched government agent or law enforcement officer antagonists nowadays. They're basically taking the easier way out. It really kinda pains me as I think it’s rather boring and annoying due to how frequent it appears in fiction these days. In short, criminal antagonists are overall better for crime related fiction and corrupt official antagonists are better for fiction centered around those types of people, although a little mixing being okay. Additionally, athlete antagonists are better for sports dramas, I bet everyone reading this kinda gets the point. Types of antagonists just don't need to be all over the place IMO.

Edited by ThatKyloRenGuy

Hmmm nice bike
3 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

They suit the Californian vibe better IMO.  

To me, "West End Girls" is 110% London, though probably since it's about the West End and I used to listen to that song when I was in London. So of course, it's more of a grey and rainy day song for me than sun and palm trees, in my opinion. I guess that's why I feel it'd suit Liberty better.

Bryce Montrose

Almost all GTA series clothes are very standard except GTA IV, GTA IV clothes are very stylish and unique

Son of Zeus
7 hours ago, Bryce Montrose said:

Almost all GTA series clothes are very standard except GTA IV, GTA IV clothes are very stylish and unique

Lol what? IV has the worst clothes in the series, bland as hell. 

Miamivicecity
11 minutes ago, Son of Zeus said:

Lol what? IV has the worst clothes in the series, bland as hell. 

lol you came out of your hidey hole just to say that? 

Bryce Montrose

In GTA IV I got the really nice Albanian biker jacket, Claude's jacket, some trendy track tops, etc. those clothes are not standard, but in GTA V I got very standard clothes 

Miamivicecity
40 minutes ago, Bryce Montrose said:

In GTA IV I got the really nice Albanian biker jacket, Claude's jacket, some trendy track tops, etc. those clothes are not standard, but in GTA V I got very standard clothes 

One thing I heavily dislike about the clothing in GTA V is the way it withholds "special outfits". For example if you complete a moto x/atv race it'll say that the moto x outfit has been added to the wardrobe when it really hasn't. You have to wait until the story's finished before using it. Fail.

GTA V might have more to choose from and more "variety", but that doesn't account for personal taste. GTA IV also wins due to the fact it wont restrict what can be worn. If you want to wear the Albanian biker jacket with a different pair of pants the game has no qualms over it. GTA V on the other hand doesn't allow for that sort of freedom for the majority of its clothing even though it should.

Bryce Montrose
29 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

One thing I heavily dislike about the clothing in GTA V is the way it withholds "special outfits". For example if you complete a moto x/atv race it'll say that the moto x outfit has been added to he wardrobe when it really hasn't. You have to wait until the story's finished before using it. Logic fail.

GTA V might have more to choose from and more "variety", but that doesn't account for personal taste. GTA IV also wins due to the fact it wont restrict what can be worn. If you want to wear the Albanian biker jacket with a different pair of pants the game has no qualms over it. GTA V on the other hand doesn't allow for that sort of freedom for the majority of its clothing even though it should.

Even there are only a few hairstyles for Michael, so there aren't many choices, GTA online has many choices of clothes and is very customizable, I hope that one day GTA V offline will be developed again with added DLC so that this customization feature can be added

TheSantader25
14 minutes ago, Bryce Montrose said:

Even there are only a few hairstyles for Michael, so there aren't many choices, GTA online has many choices of clothes and is very customizable, I hope that one day GTA V offline will be developed again with added DLC so that this customization feature can be added

Those hairstyles don't fit Michael.But Bald Michael with Beard(Max Payne) is one of my favorites. 

One of the reasons CJ had so many options was because he was physically capable and suitable to be such a customizable character. He was thoughtfully created by R* to be a flexible character.  In GTA V, R* didn't want to break the character's style. So they split the clothing and hairstyles between three characters in their own "zone" that was still believable for the character's style and personality. Trevor wearing dirty clothes, weird suits and dresses. Michael wearing middle age midlife crisis type clothing and Franklin having more of a 'young' vibe. Same goes to hairstyles. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Bryce Montrose
9 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

Those hairstyles don't fit Michael.But Bald Michael with Beard(Max Payne) is one of my favorites. 

One of the reasons CJ had so many options was because he was physically capable and suitable to be such a customizable character. He was thoughtfully created by R* to be a flexible character.  In GTA V, R* didn't want to break the character's style. So they split the clothing and hairstyles between three characters in their own "zone" that was still believable for the character's style and personality. Trevor wearing dirty clothes, weird suits and dresses. Michael wearing middle age midlife crisis type clothing and Franklin having more of a 'young' vibe. Same goes to hairstyles. 

Not only CJ, but Jimmy Hopkins too

TheOriginalGunslinger
15 hours ago, Bryce Montrose said:

Gotta agree but in terms of more stylish I’d say Vice City. Nothing beats that great looking Vercetti Suit.

Son of Zeus
17 hours ago, Miamivicecity said:

lol you came out of your hidey hole just to say that? 

What? Pretty much everyone knows that IV clothes are lacking in variety.

Miamivicecity
8 hours ago, Son of Zeus said:

What? Pretty much everyone knows that IV clothes are lacking in variety.

I don't care. The guy was only talking about what pertains to his own tastes then you come barging in out of no where saying "lol IV's clothes are bland as hell".

MyNameHere

The atmosphere of the game.

wagszilla

GTA IV is like that teacher you got in school who you hate but then you go to the next semester and you realized they taught you the most you've ever learned in your life and you regret not appreciating them more. 

iiCriminnaaL 49
3 minutes ago, wagszilla said:

GTA IV is like that teacher you got in school who you hate but then you go to the next semester and you realized they taught you the most you've ever learned in your life and you regret not appreciating them more. 

I liked it from the start, but yeah, lol, it's true for many people.

Official General
36 minutes ago, wagszilla said:

My experience of the game exactly.