2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Octavio89

Things GTA IV did better than GTA V

bigraj

I also enjoyed watching the TV shows more in IV than V. And the live entertainment options.

NewGuybj
What to say that wasn't said already? I just love GTA IV. I like evertything about it. Mayb only things that are annoying, you can say that, are driving sometimes. If I go on high speeds, it's harder to control a vehicle, but it's more realistic that way so, that's ok.

The realism of GTA IV is just amazing. If you stand near the ped, they sometimes can make funny remarks to you, but not attack you, like they do in GTA V.

Also I remembered. Once in GTA V I said "HI" to Lost MC member as Franklin. He pulled out the gun and started shooting at me, and other LOST members as well. Jeez. That was funny and stupid at the same time. Rockstar

ruined one of my favorite gangs in GTA V. The LOST MC were so cool in GTA IV. But here nah. Don't even make start with Johnny K. What they done to him.

Anyway, I most love realism about GTA 4. People get stopped by police, criminals get arrested and put into car, npc's react to rain, buying food at vendors and eating it, you can give money to soap boxers and hobos and they thank you. And many more.

Algonquin Assassin
Posted (edited)

I've probably mentioned this before, but I geniulney feel that GTA IV has more freedom for what is. Unlike most people I don't correlate freedom with having more things to do or having more features.

It's how these features are used that's important to me. For instance GTA V brought back tanks, but they're considerably weaker than the 3D era counterparts making them feel pointless. The way the game wont let you use guns inside certain buildings has always pissed me off, phone cheats don't save, can't hold onto ledges... I could go on.

GTA V only creates a false sense of freedom because it distracts the player with quantity until you sit back and really think it through. I guess GTA IV's not perfect either, but where it doesn't have the quantity it makes up for it with utilising everything it has to its fullest.

So whilst technically GTA V might have more features I feel GTA IV does a much better job with what it has never feeling like it's trying to be more than it is.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

P2FX

In GTA V headlights on npc cars still don't cast shadow. In GTA IV if you turn on night shadow almost all light sources cast shadow.

tdavies457

phone cheats don't save

100%. Many awesome features didn't carry over for V (like the ones you mentioned) and this is one of the best. It's as if they deliberately removed things just to diminish the single player experience.

Algonquin Assassin

phone cheats don't save

100%. Many awesome features didn't carry over for V (like the ones you mentioned) and this is one of the best. It's as if they deliberately removed things just to diminish the single player experience.

The thing I've never got is they added phone cheats to the curent gen versions so it just ended up being pointless.

Many of GTA V's flaws weren't addressed when it made the jump which makes it look worse.

Jack Lupino
Posted (edited)

No giant wanted/busted logo on screen.

You can still view the surroundings in black and white for a few moments after your are dead and the camera doesn't instantly fades away with wasted sign like gta 5.

Now many people might complain about this feature but I like it,I think it adds uniqueness instead of following same formula of previous gtas.

I would like to see this feature brought back in gta 6.

Edited by Jack Lupino

B Dawg

I don't get the people complaining about it, all you had to do was press a button to skip it if you wanted to anyway.

TheOriginalGunslinger
Posted (edited)

Hundreds of great things have already been said regarding "Things GTA IV did better than GTA V" so I'll go ahead and be 'that guy'...

IV came before V :D

But seriously though... The actual start up loading screen/theme in GTA IV is way better than GTA V. Soviet Connection > whatever the hell that loading theme is in V...

Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger

Ertan Soner

Hundreds of great things have already been said regarding "Things GTA IV did better than GTA V" so I'll go ahead and be 'that guy'...

But seriously though... The actual start up loading screen/theme in GTA IV is way better than GTA V. Soviet Connection > whatever the hell that loading theme is in V...

Does 5 even have a theme song?

thehambone

Yes, albeit a very forgettable one.

DirtCheap

Don't think so.

"Welcome to LS" can be considered the theme song as it's played in the introduction, however, GTA V is somewhat unique in the way that it's theme song doesn't play at the loading screen.

Even though I like the V's small and quiet electric guitar riff, I prefer IV's violin in the theme song as I love the way the characters' pictures change every few bow draws.

Hmmm nice bike

The actual start up loading screen/theme in GTA IV is way better than GTA V. Soviet Connection > whatever the hell that loading theme is in V...

"Mona Da Vinci," by Tangerine Dream. A song from 2011 that wasn't even originally produced for the game. Not a horrible track, but it kind of sounded too much like something out of some kind of scientific educational video or a true crime show about forensic science.

Algonquin Assassin

It's always cool to start up GTA IV for that reason. GTA V's suck and it's even worse when it's GTAO related crap.

NewGuybj

I also enjoyed watching the TV shows more in IV than V. And the live entertainment options.

Yeah, more fun and interesting and less sex jokes.

ViceBoy69

Anybody know what the tune is playing for episodes and gta4 when the disk is being copied to harddrive on ps3?

zanesix

It's always cool to start up GTA IV for that reason. GTA V's suck and it's even worse when it's GTAO related crap.

And if you don't have an SSD on PC, it takes 4 weeks to load while IV starts up in a few seconds, and even faster if you use ColAccel. Seriously, what is the game loading that makes it take forever? I remember back on the 360 staring at that screen for like 2 minutes. But hey, at least they added GTA Online ads you can look at in the meantime!

Cheatz/Trickz

TIL that GTA V used a track from 2011 as its loading theme instead of an original track. I always thought it was made originally for the game. 

ToyGT_one
Posted (edited)

The online mode is much more fun than GTA Online's Paywall crap.

Maybe NSFW

Edited by ToyGT_one

Crossbones

Everything ! Everything which defines a GTA game. 

Lioshenka

Despite me absolutely hating the game, there's a couple of things GTA 4 did better than GTA 5:

- Stunning atmospheric rainy weather in the evenings

- Vehicle collision models

Hmmm nice bike

Speaking of vehicles and collisions, remember when you could get cars to look like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

I was surprised that V went for a more toned-down style. Slamming a car full-speed into a wall hardly makes a dent in that game, you'd never see damage as bad as what you'd get in IV. Definitely a physics downgrade.

Arrows to Athens

V gets boring for me quickly despite it having more content and updates. There’s just something about IV that got me playing it for 5 - 6+ years without me ever losing interest. Even the story I can play 10+ times and still maintain interest. Maybe it was the awesome DLC expansion packs? Maybe it was the dating in the original GTA 4, lots of interior areas, comedy club, stage show, night clubs in The Ballad of Gay Tony, and inputting the phone cheat codes after you've beaten the game, and got most of, if not, all the trophies that could by locked by using the cheats?

Who knows...

RightNowJosh

There's a countless reasons why GTA IV is better than GTA V, but now is old and outdated.

Yinepi
On 6/5/2018 at 2:49 PM, RightNowJosh said:

There's a countless reasons why GTA IV is better than GTA V, but now is old and outdated.

Its age doesn't make the reasons invalid.

Algonquin Assassin
13 minutes ago, Yinepi said:

Its age doesn't make the reasons invalid.

GTA IV's age really just makes the reasons sweeter.

EvaLisa
Posted (edited)

First post here but I lurked this board for quite sometime nonetheless.

Before sharing and diving into my input about "things GTA IV did better than V", let's clean the picture.

If you know ChiroVette, then you can have a global shape of my opinion. Like him, I do like Just Cause 2 (for what it is), and every Saints Row (for what each of them are). Like him, I found GTA V more enjoyable than IV (but this is not our topic), but like him, I found that GTA V is just a compromise, which leads us to our topic and my own view point (which is not exactly the same as his).

GTA IV is a snore fest (to quote ChiroVette). What I mean by "snorefest" is "mash a button constantly to sprint at slow speed an already sluggish character in a giant concrete jungle town crowded with people and traffic". This alone makes GTA IV a chore to play whatever you are asked to do (I'm currently doing my third playthrough) and don't get me started on the clunky platformer and shooter. Driving is fine, but this maze that this huge city is (was : Third playthrough now) does not help. As much as I dislike this video game for its "snore guideline", GTA IV is not a product (unlike V).

As much as I dislike GTA IV, this title is very focus on what it wants to be. GTA IV does not even try to be GTA III. It tries to dismiss all the roots of GTA (an arcade game, just in case people forgot about those 2D games), to be the foundation of the HD era with lots of care on characters, background/settings, and sim elements (pedestrian, weather, dating, gun shop etc). Exactly like Vice City was just an improvement over GTA III, Red Dead Redemption is just an improvement over GTA IV formula (and I still think RDR is a snorefest, since it is the GTA IV guideline: Mash a button constantly to sprint at slow speed an already sluggish character/horse in a gigantic desertic land). But GTA V is, sadly, not a true son of this HD Era founded with GTA IV and followed by EFLC and RDR (mini games included). GTA V is some kind of atrocious degenerate child with no ambition, beyond satisfying the biggest audience possible, and it achieves this goal by selling millions of copies (sadly).

Now I know some people may throw me facts at my nose, to make me figure out that GTA V is so much better than IV snorefest.

When people tell me "Hey, GTA V has parachute, GTA IV does not". I answer "Hey Just Cause 2.... just play Just Cause 2, not that half-assed of a game that GTA V is". When people tell me "Hey GTA V has car customisation, GTA IV does not". I answer "Have you heard of Saints Row series? Even Saints Row IV which focus on platforming and flying, has better car customisation and garage than that half assed of a game that GTA V is". When people tell me "hey, GTA V has desert and forest, GTA IV does not". I answer "Hey... No... GTA V has a small sandbox they dare to call desert and a beach. If you want to see what a desert look alike, and to feel lost in the nature Just play Just Cause 2... or Red Dead Redemption." I could go on and on (Guerilla Red Faction regarding destruction blasts the sh*t out of GTA V), but well

GTA V is "fun", but GTAV tries to be

• GTA San Andreas (unfortunatly, it is not)
  • GTA IV (unfortunatly, it is not)
  • Saints Row 2 (unfortunatly, it is not)
  • Just Cause 2 (unfortunatly, it is not)
  • Red Dead Redemption (unfortunatly, it is not)

It goes so far in that gimmick that it provides you three characters to play as: one being with no personality (like GTA III / Saints Row 1) to discover the city (Franklin), the other being more like GTA VC (Michael) and designed to be the main protagonist (Story wise), and the last being a total psychopath (Trevor) more or less designed to goof around in freeroam without feeling out of character (Saints Row 2 anyone?). 

These three characters are thought with agenda in mind. To make a fair comparison, TLAD's Johnny Kliebitz has a nice background, short but sweet story, and a character you can invest into beside game design purpose. Same goes with Luis (even though on a much minor level since there is a slight shift in tone with TBOGT which might be the result of an agenda trying to seduce another audience. ie: me).

GTA V is a jack of all trades, but master of none because it has no ambition to deliver a cohesive experience. GTA IV has no garage, no customisation, no funny arcade stuff (everything I love), but it is its ambition to be some kind of "Gangster story" in a grimmy depressive, and consistent world. Never in my life, I would like to have Just Cause grappling hook in GTA IV. Yes it is an amazing feature for sandboxing, but it does not belong to that peculiar open world that GTA IV is. (And yes GTA SA has jet pack, and no it would not fit GTA IV, because they chose a different thematic this time around). 

RDR tries to be a grimmy depressive tale in the most (boring?) desertic open world Rockstar has ever made. Both GTA IV, EFLC, and RDR depict their characters with over exposure in dialogues to make the audience invest and care for them while feeling all the boredom of their lifes. It does not work on me all the time, but I see the point of the overly long dialogues in those games... but not in GTA V!  Saints Row is over the top, Just Cause 2 too (!). This is why the dialogues are short (to not make the players feel insulted in their intelligence: these are fun arcade games, not shakespearian dramas!) Once again, Rockstar did not chose, GTA V wants to be over the top (but so weak compare to what other studios have done) and it keeps using GTA IV stapple (overly long dialogues) for no goddamn reason beside an agenda to make people think Trevor has depth! (loool).

To conclude, I really need to mension that TLAD and TBOGT are two great expansions (beside few chronological story inconsistencies), each providing different feels of Liberty City, while the GTA V trio fails a bit to deliver that feeling regarding Los Santos (only 69 missions split into three characters). And to be really honest, TLAD is the episode that not only makes me like Liberty City, but also makes me understand what Rockstar was trying to achieve with HD era (GTA IV, EFLC, and RDR). As much as I dislike GTA IV (Top 3 reasons: sluggish on foot control, depressive mood and no reliable car garage), I respect Rockstar's GTA IV, and the niche it manages to target. As much as I have fun goofing around in GTA V (Top 4 reasons: N/A everything is mediocre but nothing is awful), I despise this game for being nothing more than a bad GTA IV, a bad Just Cause 2, a bad Red Dead Redemption, and a bad Saints Row, all mash together like a crappy burger with terrible taste.

(And yeah, the first Saints Row has small town, no plane, no boat, no helicopter and no bike, and it is still my favorite of the series. The mood of this very first game, from dialogues, to customizer, to music, just nails the 'compton gangsta b*tch sh*t'! This game was focus. Unlike GTA V.)

Edited by EvaLisa
Grammar / Typos

EvaLisa

I don't know if you have seen Spielberg's Ready Player One, and I won't spoil the scenario for people who did not, but this movie pretty much nails the status of company like Rockstar. The movie is set in a huge open world name the Oasis which try to satisfy the fantasies of everyone, whatever they are into: from Gundam to Overwatch, from Batman to Street Fighter. That's why I will never play GTAO. If I want to play multiplayer, I want to be with people who share the kind of fantasy I'm setted in.If I'm in a super hero mood, I'm not in a crime mood, and vice versa.

This is why games should stay focus on what they want to be. I have no problem if a same franchise shift midway. I have a problem when in the same game/episode, everything is all over the place (from plot, to character, to side activity to thematic). If the game designer looks for satisfying all my fantasies in one game (from tennis player to master hunter to bank heister), then every fantasy will be poorly satisfied. And that is my problem with the monopoly Rockstar has established. They killed all their open worl rivals (thanks to the profesionnal critics and the Rockstar fans) and now Rockstar has to do all the jobs of their ex-rivals in one game: GTA Online.

PS: I think GTA IV is more in the mood of Heat or Scorcese ganster story, than Tarantino pulp comics (I think Saints Row is more in the mood of Tarantino actually).

Penguin Bob

E V E R Y T H I N G.

ThatBenGuy

Another thing I wanted to say about something GTA IV did better than V to me:

Many missions within GTA IV/EFLC are hard but fun at the same time. In GTA V, on the other hand, some missions are both hard and boring, I’m specifically talking about those flight school missions as well as the missions where Trevor picks fights with the military.