Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (91,807 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Octavio89

Things GTA IV did better than GTA V

TheOriginalGunslinger

NPCs actually bought stuff from food vendors and newspaper stands (such as this fella starting his day with a delicious Sprunk)

4437-gta-iv-screenshot.jpg

Laughable in V that NPCs who hang around near the gas stations don't walk in and buy some more smokes (considering that's mostly what some NPCs do). I mean they could have even went in to buy a soda or some snacks too but they don't. Hell, you didn't have to be the only one to hold up a store either... some NPCs could have held up the store which would have been pretty funny.

Edited by Dexter_Morgan

Mr_Rager

NPCs in V just scream, blabber random GTA 3 pedestrian tier sh*t or have twelve sneezing fits in ten minutes.

Edited by Mr_Rager

Algonquin Assassin

I'll say that alot of arguments are subjective here, but this is one thing you absolutely cannot deny that GTA IV did better.

I try to avoid things that are purely subjective such as the story and only focus on the arguments that are hard to argue against like the differences in the physics, ped A.I behaviour etc.

Lock n' Stock

I'll say that alot of arguments are subjective here, but this is one thing you absolutely cannot deny that GTA IV did better.

I try to avoid things that are purely subjective such as the story and only focus on the arguments that are hard to argue against like the differences in the physics, ped A.I behaviour etc.

True. And to be fair, I think there's positives in GTA V that are hard to argue against as well, like map size, customisation options and a larger variety of vehicles and weapons.

Hell, that's why I love all GTA games, since they all have cool things to offer. IV however definitely feels like one of a kind amongst them all.

Edited by Lock N' Stock

Habbrow94

Rockstar Games if you are out there reading this thread, please take note. We are all hardcore fans and would like the next installment to have many of the old features implemented back in the game. There where many things that GTAIV got right that are missing entirely in V..

The biggest offender for me in GTAV is the cops being way overpowered and extremely aggressive. Its not fun to have shootouts anymore, and they still hadn't updated the damn game for that on ps3. Another one is the car flipping off the side of a cliff, small hill, not even that high up and exploding instantly on impact. The last thing you want are the cop cars flinging off the edge of a cliff crashing into yours every two seconds blowing you up. Its suppose to be a fun game, not everything has to have a realistic texture to it and I dont even think thats called realistic. Forgive me comrades but I havent played the next gen version of the game enough to see if those hitmarkers (kill effect) was actually made optional to disable.... That god awful 3 second wasted screen where everything goes all slow and disappears off screen which should be fixed with a more paced action resemblance of GTAIV wasted screen where you can actually see the characters body flopping and all the possibilities for a few moments for what have you.

I havent posted in years but came back to see what was up and this is whats up, the never ending thread that is still bumpin and rightfully so ! Brothers sisters we are one and the same a family. To be fair mods where implemented so we could fix GTA V :evilgrin: something that wasn't even necessary to do with its predecessors! This is it people we are going to the moon again

MARKUS.

Failing mission cutscenes (or phone calls) for every mission, for every scenario.

Edited by Markhosdangerous

ToyGT_one

I find it weird how everyone complained about Roman calling Niko all the time while no one really talks about how in GTA Online, Lester, Malc, Ron and Agent guy likes to ring your phone far more often than any of the GTA 4 characters.

"Buy this business thing, it's going to be great."

"Go and buy that hanger"

"Please buy a clubhouse"

"It's your fault if 'murica collapsed, please buy this underground place"

"Get a bunker and get loads of arm dealership"

Just stop. I don't need any of your BS. I just wanna have fun. At least GTA 4 weren't THAT BAD.

Sadly the fans are blind and often be a one sided.

Edited by ToyGT_one

DirtCheap

I find it weird how everyone complained about Roman calling Niko all the time while no one really talks about how in GTA Online, Lester, Malc, Ron and Agent guy likes to ring your phone far more often than any of the GTA 4 characters.

"Go and buy that hanger"

"Please buy a clubhouse"

Just stop. I don't need any of your BS. I just wanna have fun. At least GTA 4 weren't THAT BAD.

Not to mention the fact that if you don't want Roman nagging you about bowling, you can simply mute him.

In Online, you get calls all the time, no matter what and you cannot mute them. In a gunfight with a tryhard? Sorry, my discussion about bunkers is more important. This shows how low R* is going just so you can buy an expensive building and have to buy Sharkcards so you don't end up grinding for materials.

Lock n' Stock

"Go and buy that hanger"

"Please buy a clubhouse"

Not to mention the fact that if you don't want Roman nagging you about bowling, you can simply mute him.

In Online, you get calls all the time, no matter what and you cannot mute them. In a gunfight with a tryhard? Sorry, my discussion about bunkers is more important. This shows how low R* is going just so you can buy an expensive building and have to buy Sharkcards so you don't end up grinding for materials.

I'm surprised more people haven't complained about the text messages you get in single-player when you own businesses. You know, the ones asking you to carry out tedious and repetitive tasks (like delivering booze to an establishment because of a shiftless f*ckwit deliveryman) and the ones you again receive if you refuse to do it. At least in IV you could hang up or set your phone to private. I'm not sure if doing the latter in V blocks the messages, but either way I found them to be way more of a f*cking annoyance than Roman's bowling calls.

F*cking hell, property management in general felt so half-arsed that they may as well have not put it in at all. You can't even enter your own establishments, even the ones that have interiors (like Tequi-la-la). Don't get me wrong, I love V, but things like that make the game feel like a complete joke. The worst part of all is that things don't actually have to be that way, but R* seems to have no intention of improving features that are most obviously incomplete.

Edited by Lock N' Stock

Timcatgt5

It has the best driving physics and handling for a game that isn't a racing simulator.

I am used to vehicles that handle heavier than arcade handling so that's why most of the time I'm driving around the city.

No pay n spray makes it easier to identify vehicles with a unique color or body modification, so I can keep them in the parking spots. It's nice to drive a black with red pearlescent SuperGT or a PMP 600 with the hybrid grill in white or black.

Big_Smiley

This gif alone sh*ts on V's trio....

yx3AHeG.gif

All three had grate character development. Niko being the best imo. Johnny comes second and Mr. Downtown third.

In V's regards; Michael was

probably the most developed somewhat, Trevor is just f*cking awful no explanation there, and unfortunately my boy Franklin was left with a sh*t load of missing back story and lacked the most development out of the three. So buliding up character was one of the things IV really nailed and what V lacked Imo.

Also because sh*t like this can randomly happen :lol:

Edited by Big_Smiley

CoolMods

Everything. Why? GTA IV is a masterpiece like San Andreas while GTA V is just garbage trash.

Edited by CoolMods

giannism13

For me, i really miss the subway/metro system. It really added to the gaem a lot

Hmmm nice bike

I'm surprised more people haven't complained about the text messages you get in single-player when you own businesses. You know, the ones asking you to carry out tedious and repetitive tasks (like delivering booze to an establishment because of a shiftless f*ckwit deliveryman) and the ones you again receive if you refuse to do it. At least in IV you could hang up or set your phone to private. I'm not sure if doing the latter in V blocks the messages, but either way I found them to be way more of a f*cking annoyance than Roman's bowling calls.

F*cking hell, property management in general felt so half-arsed that they may as well have not put it in at all. You can't even enter your own establishments, even the ones that have interiors (like Tequi-la-la). Don't get me wrong, I love V, but things like that make the game feel like a complete joke. The worst part of all is that things don't actually have to be that way, but R* seems to have no intention of improving features that are most obviously incomplete.

I think that's just a sign of how many people play single player vs Online where those calls asking you to perform menial tasks never happens (and instead you get 15 million calls a day from a bunch of other annoying idiots).

Properties and property management in V was pretty much tacked-on last minute. I'm pretty sure I remember one of the early previews stating that you wouldn't be able to purchase properties, people threw a fit and complained, and by the time the game came out, you could buy properties, but it was Saints Row 3 style property management (buy a building that you can't even go into). I think Rockstar have just become lazy by now, and they probably figure that most people will buy anything as long as their logo is slapped onto it.

Sleepwalking

I bought golf club as Franklin and security still tries to beat him up if he goes to golf club at night; lol. I can't even say I am your f*cking boss.

If you buy a property, it takes ages to actually gain a profit. So they are useless. I only love los santos customs, free car mods.

If you do Lester's assasinations after story, you will be sitting on billions, that's one of the reason I laugh all property mission.

Sorry, I can't risk my ass to drive a weed van to my very legal(?) marijuana shop just for, mmm 10k? lol.

Hmmm nice bike

Why should they even be calling you to run random errands like that? You're the owner of the business and for some reason, you have to buy liquor, deliver weed, etc. It makes even less sense than the pizza delivery missions in VC. Tommy needed the money early on in the game's story, plus it's not like he owned the pizza shop. Instead, V has the equivalent of Jeff Bezos personally delivering packages to people and stocking shelves at Whole Foods.

Edited by Hmmm nice bike

Algonquin Assassin

It’s pretty obvious that the properties were only added at the last moment since they play no role in the story and most likely just an excuse to give people something to spend money on.

It’s bare minimum effort at best IMO. The idea of buying these places and doing crappy errands just make it feel like a wasted opportunity (Just like most things in GTA V sadly).

If GTA V was as single player orientated as GTA IV it could’ve been a great addition, but it’s only serviceable and doesn’t affect the game in any major way.

TheOriginalGunslinger

Crazy to think I've only completed the story of GTA V once and the story of IV a couple dozen times. GTA V's story is a snooze fest after the mission "Friends Reunited". In IV, I just prefer the more interesting characters and side characters. Seriously, Eddie Low as a side character has more of a back story than some major characters in V... That's just crazy if you think about it. The characters in IV are just more engaging instead of the characters in V.

Hmmm nice bike

Seriously, Eddie Low as a side character has more of a back story than some major characters in V... That's just crazy if you think about it. The characters in IV are just more engaging instead of the characters in V.

Giving so many characters developed backstories is part of what made IV great. V's characters didn't have nearly as much history behind them, I think partly thanks to a lack of the police database. You could use that to look up a ton of characters and learn new things about them. In V, I don't think they put much thought in anyone's backstory besides the protagonists. Then there'd be some tidbits here and there for a few other characters, but nowhere near as much of the character development we got in IV.

Arrows to Athens
Posted (edited)

Seriously, Eddie Low as a side character has more of a back story than some major characters in V... That's just crazy if you think about it. The characters in IV are just more engaging instead of the characters in V.

Giving so many characters developed backstories is part of what made IV great. V's characters didn't have nearly as much history behind them, I think partly thanks to a lack of the police database. You could use that to look up a ton of characters and learn new things about them. In V, I don't think they put much thought in anyone's backstory besides the protagonists. Then there'd be some tidbits here and there for a few other characters, but nowhere near as much of the character development we got in IV.

Probably because they were too busy thinking about how much money they will make from shark cards in online.

Edited by Arrows to Athens

TheOriginalGunslinger

Weapon sounds. The M4 is an eargasm waiting to happen. The Deagle sounds good too.

DeathMachine15

Cops actually act like people.

Civilians aren't braindead in 4.

Gta 5 has duller missions.

Back at square one ps2 driving in 5.

Less repetitive environments in 4.

Much better combat.

Better voice acting.

A stronger and more focused story.

Characters have real development. Characters in 5 are as interesting as those of a cod campaign.

Interiors.

More focus on single player than online.

iiCriminnaaL 49
Posted (edited)

White - Unsatisfying changes that have been made in Grand Theft Auto V and/or reduced features.

Orange - Completely cut features compared to Grand Theft Auto IV.

1. The whole life of the game. (you can feel like you're in the real world and take actions seriously in GTA IV, as well as the storyline's events.)
  2. Well written characters. (even the minor characters are more interesting than GTA V's main characters.)
  3. Better protagonist(s). (Bellic/Klebitz/Lopez > Townley/Phillips/Clinton)
  4. Better deuteragonists and side-kicks. (GTA V's side-kicks aren't even memorable. I know that Roman isn't someone who would hold a gun, and Tony's presence beside Luis in a fight is a rare, but both of them were great partners. Jim is one of the best deuteragonists in the series. Also, Jacob is a side-kick too, seems to be the main side-kick of Niko. Even though he is the tritagonist, but not the deuteragonist, still he's the one who helps him when he needs it and fight alongside him, even better than Jim.)
  5. Great antagonists who can be taken seriously. (each of Rascalov, Grey and Bulgarin are way better than all of GTA V's antagonists combined.)
  6. Solid stories; deep with a lot of in-depth. (maybe TBoGT is an exception, but still even better than GTA V's story.)
  7. Better missions; memorable, more relevant to the criminal underworld and more enjoyable.
  8. Only one playable character per a story.
  9. Only one main antagonist.
  10. The way Niko, Johnny and Luis are connected. (they aren't hardcore partners like in GTA V. Niko and Johnny met to get to work with each other for only twice, and the fact that Luis is actually an enemy. Each one of them would screw the other, sometimes without knowing; Johnny kidnaps Roman and steals the diamond money, Niko kills Jason and Jim.)
  11. Side stories. (the diamonds, the heroin and the cocaine.)
  12. Substantial story messages. (family then girlfriends, friends before money, crime doesn't pay, no drugs or beer.)
  13. Liberty City’s gritty vibe > Los Santos’ sunny vibe. (while I'm a huge fan of Los Santos' atmosphere in the 3D Universe, and not a big fan of Liberty City's, the opposite can be said in the HD Universe.)
  14. Everything is memorable.
  15. Better intros.
  16. Better endings.
  17. Better cutscenes and conversations.
  18. Campaign choices and decisions. (there're barely any choices in GTA V's story, and they still less important than GTA IV's.)
  19. Variety of options and ways to complete missions.
  20. The real Lost MC. (just look at the mission Mr. Phillips.)
  21. Way better fighting mechanics. (all of fighting mechanics; hand, melee and fire.)
  22. Better driving mechanics. (GTA V's handling might fit for a racing game.)
  23. Better world physics.
  24. Better gangs.
  25. Punching NPCs is more realistic. (you don't expect someone to die with a single punch, lol. It looks like they decreased the NPCs' health to make shooting them more realistic, but it led them to die faster by any way they get hurt.)
  26. NPCs don't die by around a shot to two. (more realistic, but less fun. Besides, the fact that NPCs get killed by a single shot on the leg... now that's unrealistic.)
  27. Pushing NPCs.
  28. Reasonable police and emergency services.
  29. Cops don't gun down the protagonist for standing by them.
  30. NPCs don't attack the protagonist or call the police just for standing by them.
  31. NPCs have possibilities to survive and get up again when they get hit or shot, with pain and slow walking.
  32. NPCs' reactions are way more realistic and noticeable.
  33. Better traffic, more realistic as well.
  34. Cops can't locate the protagonist wherever.
  35. Climbing.
  36. Euphoria.
  37. Crouching.
  38. Longer storyline.
  39. Three main cities, a town and three islands > A single city, a large countryside and a few desert zones.
  40. Better cover system.
  41. Escaping from the cops.
  42. Campaign DLCs. (even though the DLCs have less missions, each DLC is a standalone game itself.)
  43. Corpses are physical objects. (player can walk through them in GTA V, same as how it works in the 3D Universe's games.)
  44. Vehicle explosions. (they rarely explode in GTA V. Also, when a vehicle explodes in GTA IV, all of its parts burn, the whole vehicle, which doesn't seem to happen in GTA V.)
  45. Disarming people.
  46. Campaign executions.
  47. Higher possibility of people to get thrown out of the car's windshield during severe crashes. (rarely happens in GTA V.)
  48. More lively and crowded city.
  49. People (including the protagonist) get their weapons out of their pockets when they're going to use them, and they get them back in their pockets when they're done or either plan to switch to another weapon. (weapons just appear on the person's hand in GTA V, then disappear when they switch to another weapon, similar to the 3D Universe.)
  50. Drive-by's.
  51. Cops chase criminals on foot.
  52. Better side-missions; mainly more relevant to the criminal underworld.
  53. Protagonist doesn't die when he falls into the water from high heights. (more realistic, but less fun and mostly annoying.)
  54. Better online. (GTA V's online is full of childish people, and a lot of kids who buy the game just for its online mode. It's more like a deathmatch game than GTA. GTA IV's online has better modes as well.)
  55. No unrealistic and overpowered special abilities for the protagonist(s).
  56. Friend special features.
  57. Grabbing objects.
  58. Protagonists and NPCs have better dialogue.
  59. Better soundtrack. (from the game's music, to radio stations, to sounds of weapons, explosions and vehicles, to voices of pedestrians, and maybe more...)
  60. Variety of friend activities.
  61. Protagonists have better walking and weapon holding animations.
  62. Protagonist doesn't change his clothes by himself.
  63. People can keep the car's door open when they get out of it.
  64. Limited uses of phones and social media.
  65. Mission failure dialogues and/or phone calls, including Niko's angry lines.
  66. Cheats get done on the player's phone, which keeps them saved.
  67. No shark cards. (that actually reminds me of the mobile exclusive games.)
  68. Six stars of wanted levels.
  69. No 'Mission Passed', 'Wasted' and 'Busted' titles on screen.
  70. No annoying 100 percent completions for missions. (except in TBoGT.)
  71. Eating.
  72. Limited weapon pocket. (makes players think more before they take any weapon, not to mention that it makes the game more challenging.)
  73. Faster loading.
  74. Donating for homeless civilians.
  75. Protagonist gets tired of sprinting. (there isn't a tired animation like in the 3D Era's games, but he lowers from sprinting to running when he's tired.)
  76. Girlfriends.

Even though GTA V offers features that aren't present in GTA IV, the latter is overall a better game, at least in my opinion. It has the best combination of features, and it even works better than GTA V in term of features that both games contain.

Noting that even though I definitely prefer GTA IV over GTA V, I'm against calling GTA V (or any other game) "crap" or "sh*t", or insulting it by anyway, like many people who do that thinking they're "defending" GTA IV. R* has done a great job on every single GTA game they made, so even if some people don't like it, they gotta appreciate the work and time that have been put on it.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49

Sleepwalking
Posted (edited)

- Limited uses of phones and social media compared to GTA V. (We don't need to waste time on them actually in a 'video game'. What next? Playing consoles in GTA VI?)

Phone and social media is completely optional in GTA V.

You don't have to check bleeter or lifeinvader if you don't want and you don't get a penalty for that.

In GTA IV you can't even beat campaign if you don't go that stupid dating site or can't easily reach %100 if you don't use your phone intensely to hangout with someone.

Edited by Sleepwalking

ThatBenGuy

Another thing I like better about GTA 4 as well as Vice City, San Andreas, TLAD, and TBOGT is that all of those games seem to be appeal more to metalheads like myself than 5 does. Sure, there's Los Santos Rock Radio which has some pretty good hits but it doesn't really compare to what they had on the rock stations in the earlier GTA games. Even though I am one, I'm not sure exactly how common metalhead GTA fans are, but I'm guessing we have fairly big numbers. :)

Lock n' Stock

I'm not going to say ALL of these elements were nerfed in GTA V, but there's no doubt that for a 10-year old game, the level of detail in IV still holds up.

zanesix

This has probably been posted here before but let me just take a moment to say how f*cking AWESOME QUB3D is, and all mini arcade games in the older GTA's for that matter. I was playing GTA IV the other day and I swear I played that for like half an hour, it's like a more fun version of Tetris for me. It's a real shame R* didn't have the creativity to create another mini arcade game, or at least port QUB3D over to V.

I always appreciate little additions like that.

Algonquin Assassin
Posted (edited)

- Limited uses of phones and social media compared to GTA V. (We don't need to waste time on them actually in a 'video game'. What next? Playing consoles in GTA VI?)

Phone and social media is completely optional in GTA V.

You don't have to check bleeter or lifeinvader if you don't want and you don't get a penalty for that.

In GTA IV you can't even beat campaign if you don't go that stupid dating site or can't easily reach %100 if you don't use your phone intensely to hangout with someone.

The only time dating/hanging out is required is during First Date when it's introduced. After that it's optional . I've only completed 100% once and I don't see how hanging out with them makes it any harder than some of the tasks for 100% In other GTAs that are usually far more boring and tedious. Even when they call it feels like the characters actually exist in the game's world. GTA V completely fails in this regard.

The real irony is despite the bitching and moaning how the friends call all the time GTA IV is the only GTA that feels lively outside of the cutscenes and not a lonely simulator. Niko can meet all kinds of new and interesting people long after the credits roll.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

bigraj

Forgot how much I liked bowling, until I got the urge to play yesterday for the first time in a few years. Still have plenty to do in that particular playthrough (28% done) in the main game, so I played a few missions to re familiarize myself with the combat and driving.

Definitely prefer getting paid as you complete missions in IV to the "few and far between" paydays of V. The limited ammo and number of weapons are definitely more realistic, though I prefer the selection method in V.

I prefer the socialization and the talk radio station much more in IV.

Lock n' Stock

I'll say it again, text messages asking you to perform retarded f*cking tasks like delivering booze and distributing cinema flyers are way more annoying than being called up by your friends to go bowling or drinking. At least with the latter you can prevent it by putting your phone on silent.