3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

The Concept Creators' Lounge

3 hours ago, Money Over Bullsh*t said:

Idk man just because LC made a lasting impression doesn’t mean that it’s immune to being milked to the point of becoming completely bland and generic 

24 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

Idk man just because LC made a lasting impression doesn’t mean that it’s immune to being milked to the point of becoming completely bland and generic 

No definitely not. But any city or setting can seem bland or generic if it hasn't got a worthwhile story and an interesting cast of characters to back it up. With that being said however, the environment in which these characters find themselves will always go a long way to shaping them into who they are and putting them in worthwhile situations that will add significant weight to a story in itself. Whether this be the geographical area itself or the feeling that a certain time period etc. creates. While we have admittedly seen a lot of stories set in Liberty City, very few have been set within the same timeframe as GTA IV (in recent memory at least). New York in real life is a city that has such a rich and storied history that it's only natural that people want to explore some of that untapped potential (especially in a different time period) and translate it into the world of GTA. The city itself though is either being constantly expanded with every iteration or (in some cases) features only as a small section of the overall setting that it equates to New Austin making a reappearance in RDR II. And not too many people got too bent out of shape about that - aside from the canon breaking of course.

Modern TV has shown that unconventional settings can work but there often isn't enough real life basis on which to base the stories. Which leads to writers having to concoct situations that would never have happened in real life because the real life places are actually just too boring in most cases. Which is why other writers had avoided them for so long. It's also quite common for people to set stories within NYC and completely miss the mark. So when people see an opportunity to do things right you bet they're going to jump on it. Off the wall ideas can often times be very enjoyable but on premise alone I wouldn't give many of them a second look. Although for me personally, if it's a crime story set in New York I'm probably going to check it out.

Creators don't have the luxury of actually showing the action so the only alternative is to tell. If something is enjoyable, should it really matter where its set? As integral as the setting is to the plot it's really just for authenticity. Do you flat out refuse to watch TV shows that are set in New York as well? That picture you posted is actually very accurate in a way since it lists just about every city with enough source material in its history to actually build a long lasting story around. The flip side to that though is that the likes of GTA V (which is set in LA and surrounding areas) also has a long and storied history but Rockstar have already milked it to a point where people are too jaded of it already than to even consider revisiting it again. I know you've probably been asked this before but what sort of story could you actually read and enjoy? Or are you just one of those people who has to constantly complain about everything? If that's your thing then go ahead and just be you and people can get to just ignoring you. But the fact that you came in here and revived a conversation that seemed to have been settled suggests that you actually want to engage in some meaningful conversation about this. So I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I realise I've just given you the essay that you specifically didn't (but inevitably did) ask for but it would be interesting to hear what you actually like since you're one of the few members that's consistently active here. If I'm not mistaken you seem to have an affinity for the 3D era Liberty City so perhaps you'd like to see people milk that a bit more instead?

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Money Over Bullsh*t said:

Do you flat out refuse to watch TV shows that are set in New York as well? 

Does Family Guy take place in New York? But I get your point tho

58 minutes ago, Money Over Bullsh*t said:

If I'm not mistaken you seem to have an affinity for the 3D era Liberty City so perhaps you'd like to see people milk that a bit more instead?

I'd be more annoyed if every concept thread was 3D Era LC. As much as I love that place, I'd be quite upset if my first thoughts opening a newly posted concept thread were "Oh f*ck not another St. Marks mafia story". 

Idk maybe I just expect different things out of concept threads than most people. I do love a nicely built world that's new and fresh and fleshed out. You see one in gritty LC you've seen them all nawhimean

2 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

Does Family Guy take place in New York? But I get your point tho

I'd be more annoyed if every concept thread was 3D Era LC. As much as I love that place, I'd be quite upset if my first thoughts opening a newly posted concept thread were "Oh f*ck not another St. Marks mafia story". 

Idk maybe I just expect different things out of concept threads than most people. I do love a nicely built world that's new and fresh and fleshed out. You see one in gritty LC you've seen them all nawhimean

I have to respectfully disagree but I'm sure there are a few (maybe a lot) who agree with you. There are a very few concept ideas actually being posted and it just so happens that out of the ones that are being posted, the majority take place in some iteration of LC. I think everybody just kind of hopes that people have the same enthusiasm for their ideas as they do, so it's a bit of a downer that somebody chooses to be openly negative about it. There are so few comments now that I'm sure the bad ones cut extra deep for everybody. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but at a certain point I think voicing your disapproval becomes just as much like flogging a dead horse.

What's the alternative? That people just stop posting their ideas because the setting has been featured before? I would ask you if you're going to boycott GTA VI if it partly takes place in LC, like some have been saying, but I think the hypocrisy has already been highlighted before.  I think the fundamental flaw is probably with the genre. GTA is pretty much all about the underworld, so wherever the most crime has been historically is where writers of the crime genre are likely to go. Somewhere outside of America is probably a good place to go if somebody is willing to take a decent crack at it. And don't get me wrong, negative comments are still a boost in a way since they equal views. Which is a help since comments in general are scarce. So it's a catch 22...

Perhaps people do feel the same but don't want to say it. I get that's your thing though. It's an immediate red flag for you if you see Liberty City.... I'm sure its other things for other people, but don't be surprised if people come at you for saying it I guess. Unless that's what you want. Just my two cents my good man. Take it or leave it haha

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Money Over Bullsh*t said:

What's the alternative? That people just stop posting their ideas because the setting has been featured before?

Probably the best (albeit unlikely alternative) is more concepts set in Liberty City, although you can't just make them show out of nowhere. Other than the DC concept @Big Fat Paulie said he was working on, I'm not looking forward to anything set somewhere I've been playing in and reading about since 2008.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

Probably the best (albeit unlikely alternative) is more concepts set in Liberty City, although you can't just make them show out of nowhere. Other than the DC concept @Big Fat Paulie said he was working on, I'm not looking forward to anything set somewhere I've been playing in and reading about since 2008.

I presume you mean NOT set in Liberty City? But it just comes down to it being different strokes for different folks mate. Some people like Liberty City stuff, some like other settings. Some dislike either one or the other. And some dislike concepts altogether and prefer to post memes and stuff or muse about which character has the biggest schlong. The best case scenario (or at the very least most productive) is just to create an inclusive environment for everybody. If people want to read, then they'll read and if they don't want to read then they won't. I think this place devolving into a grave yard is probably the worst case for everybody. I don't come around here as often and there's a lot of stuff on here that I wouldn't really be into myself. So I just ignore it. The worst part is though there are probably a lot of avid lurkers who never contribute at all and probably really enjoy the stuff. So it would be a shame to just have nobody posting here whatsoever.. since it is a forum afterall. Perhaps after GTA VI things will be different here. Perhaps we'll all be old and grey before it releases, who knows.

• Like 3

This is going to sound kind of weird, but an idea did cross my mind this evening although it's different than the Capital City concept me and Matsukine are still working on.

@universetwisters mentioned that we need more unique concepts aside from pre-2000's Liberty City and Carcer City, and it got me thinking. What if someone did a concept that was set in the old 3D Universe but in an entirely different locale than the typical lineup of Liberty City, Vice City, or San Andreas.

Manhunt's version of Carcer City is set in the 3D Universe and seems more like Camden, NJ or the really bad parts of Philly and Pittsburgh while the few references in the HD Universe imply Carcer is a Midwestern Rust Belt city like Detroit, Cleveland, or Chicago. I'm sure there's other cities you could go with as well.

And if you wanted to add a bit of meta-narrative to the concept, you could present it as a concept for a GTA game from the 2000's back in the days of the PS2 when the 3D Era was actually current. I'm honestly surprised nobody's decided to revisit the 3D Universe for the concept threads now that GTA III and Vice City are old enough to be considered a retro nostalgia thing. Kind of a "concept within a concept" sort of deal.

Edited by Big Fat Paulie

Tbh what would the difference be other than maybe cars, like the manana being a K car coupe instead of a landyacht etc 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

Tbh what would the difference be other than maybe cars, like the manana being a K car coupe instead of a landyacht etc 

Mainly things like the cars having the 3D Universe designs (like the Kuruma being a "family sedan" Chrysler as opposed to a sports car) and a setting and gameplay that is not as fixated on realism to the same extent that IV or even V do.

Plus it gives you more leeway with the location. It doesn't need to be a close replica of a real-life major American city seeing as Liberty City in the 3D Era is a generic Northeastern city as opposed to "NYC with the serial numbers filed off" while Vice City is some bizarre amalgamation of Miami, Key West, and parts of Orlando.

And since I'm a weirdo, I kinda like the challenge of trying to think how a concept for a PS2 game would be since the concepts would be a bit smaller in scale. I'm a sucker for strange meta-narrative stuff too.

Edited by Big Fat Paulie
1 hour ago, Big Fat Paulie said:

I'm honestly surprised nobody's decided to revisit the 3D Universe for the concept threads now that GTA III and Vice City are old enough to be considered a retro nostalgia thing.

Cosa Nostra and Badfellas are set in the 3D Universe though, and they're pretty recent.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DownInThePMs said:

Cosa Nostra and Badfellas are set in the 3D Universe though, and they're pretty recent.

True. But I was thinking of 3D Universe concepts not set in LC, since @universetwisters mentioned being tired of Liberty City

I dunno. At least the meta idea could be interesting if done right. Sort of a creative experiment where you're trying to develop a concept thread the way someone who had no knowledge of the HD Universe games or the later gen consoles would back in the early-mid 2000's.

25 minutes ago, Big Fat Paulie said:

But I was thinking of 3D Universe concepts not set in LC, since @universetwisters mentioned being tired of Liberty City

To be quite honest, while I don't really like pre-2000s LC concepts myself, it shouldn't really stop you from doing a concept set in it if you think your idea is cool. For creative writing stuff you shouldn't let the public opinion, or anyone's opinion for that matter, sway you away from your vision. People can make opinions, sure, that's completely normal, just don't get too worked up on it and send an angry PM or something. Best advice is to just ignore and not take any opinion you think is wrong personally or seriously.

Edited by DownInThePMs
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, DownInThePMs said:

To be quite honest, while I don't really like pre-2000s LC concepts myself, it shouldn't really stop you from doing a concept set in it if you think your idea is cool. For creative writing stuff you shouldn't let the public opinion, or anyone's opinion for that matter, sway you away from your vision. Best advice is to just ignore and not take any opinion you think is wrong personally or seriously.

I agree completely, I was just mentioning what @universetwisters said because there are a few good points he brings up. Of course, if I wanted to do a 90's LC concept or whatever, I would

• Like 1
On 9/26/2020 at 4:10 AM, Big Fat Paulie said:

Mainly things like the cars having the 3D Universe designs (like the Kuruma being a "family sedan" Chrysler as opposed to a sports car) and a setting and gameplay that is not as fixated on realism to the same extent that IV or even V do.

Plus it gives you more leeway with the location. It doesn't need to be a close replica of a real-life major American city seeing as Liberty City in the 3D Era is a generic Northeastern city as opposed to "NYC with the serial numbers filed off" while Vice City is some bizarre amalgamation of Miami, Key West, and parts of Orlando.

Idk I feel like you can have different car designs, a non realistic storyline, and a vague location even in an HD era concept. Also [citation needed] about VC having Orlando parts in it because I'm half an hour from there and I never noticed anything Orlando about Vice City.

Although I will say, on the topic of III era concepts, I'll go to my grave saying @OJsAlibi's III Vice City concept is hands down the best III era concept ever to grace these forums.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, universetwisters said:

Although I will say, on the topic of III era concepts, I'll go to my grave saying @OJsAlibi's III Vice City concept is hands down the best III era concept ever to grace these forums.

That was a Corker 👌

Here's an idea I had floating around in my head inspired by the works of Elmore Leonard, Mafia 2, LA Noire and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (and just a bit of Scarface and Deer Hunter). This concept is set in a fictional coastline city called Las Estriaciones in Central San Andreas that's an amalgamation of San Francisco, Seattle, Palm Springs and Los Angeles, as well as the smaller beach and cliffside towns along the coast, located about 400km north of Los Santos which replaces Fresno, CA and Monterrey, CA, in this canon. Las Estriaciones, which combines the mysterious, windy, foggy hills of San Francisco and the sunny, bustling, cosmopolitan aesthetic of Los Angeles, with stretches of beaches, desert and forest, embodies both the naive idealism, as well as the grit and corruption creeping underneath, of California during the late 50s and early 60s, prior to the Hippie Revolution, during a time when space-age Googie Architecture, suburban sprawl, malt shops and tiki bars became synonymous with the state, early Motown Soul, Surf Rock, Beat and Exotica were in all the rage and social and political strides which challenged white hegemony were slowly, but surely, put into place. 

Set between 1953, 1959 and 1965, the star of this concept is a half-Mexican named Reynold "Ray" Romero, the illegitimate son of a now-dead bootlegger based in Ciudad Vizcaino, who runs a small criminal enterprise with his best friend and brother-in-arms, Alonzo "Al" Silva. Both served together in Korea, and dishonorably discharged for falsely-accused war crimes, the two men are released from military prison, desperate to turn a buck back in town. They begin by working for a bondsman named Richard "Richie" Paladine, becoming crooks and bail bond agents themselves as they slowly learn the ropes of the criminal underworld.

The story will explore the two men's rise to power in Los Estriaciones, as they make the transition from disgraced pair of soldiers to big names in the criminal underworld. They soon brush arms with entities and organizations such as the Black Mob, Los Santos Crime Family, a vice squad of bent LEPD detectives and their old unit from Korea, and Ray himself even dabbles with the film industry a bit with the growing Spaghetti Western fad during this time. The friendship and loyalty between Alonzo and Ray is soon tested and challenged, as over the course of their partnership, things go south in unexpected ways. 

Might consider doing this after Northern Soul is done, which I intend to start work on around November.

Speaking of which, I have plans for extra storylines for Northern Soul, both set outside of Northern England. The first one is set in the Rhodesian-South African border during the civil war, with a story revolving around blood diamonds, crooked paramilitary groups, death squads, the Soviet arms trade and warlords, with Markus de Klerk, your go-to for guns and Rhodie ally back in NE, playing a lead role. The other is set in the beautiful Italian Riviera which covers a heist against the Camorra in the region inspired by The Italian Job and Bullitt, with Cristaine "Frenchie" Duvalier, your rich friend and crooked Monegasque socialite and businesswoman, having a big role in this. 

Edited by DownInThePMs
  • Like 2

Does content creator still support old generation, in my case 360? I want to make a cannonball race from south to north, but if I can't on 360 it's pointless so far. I was able to join the editor but when I wanted to testdrive it did not load though the console did not hang itself.

48 minutes ago, Aquamaniac said:

Does content creator still support old generation, in my case 360? I want to make a cannonball race from south to north, but if I can't on 360 it's pointless so far. I was able to join the editor but when I wanted to testdrive it did not load though the console did not hang itself.

Wrong topic, man.

• Like 1
On 7/27/2020 at 4:46 AM, VenusianDream said:

I've been thinking about making a concept of an HD-Era reboot of GTA2. All of the gangs and characters will still be present but expanded on, and a proper backstory will be written for Claude Speed. Some original characters will be present too, along with a few small cameos from the other games. Gameplay will be like a hybrid of GTA IV's and RDR2's features (Realistic driving, fast food/consumables, activities, random events, among other things) with some elements of the 2D and 3D games (Rampages, over the top humor, farting/burping, gang wars, respect meter). The game will take place in Anywhere City and will be ambiguously set at some point into the near future, to maintain that futuristic dystopian vibe that GTA 2 originally had. This concept is centered around my own personal theory that Anywhere City is a future version of Liberty City that got it's layout rebuilt and it's name changed. (Kinda ridiculous, right? But it sounded good in my head lol) The Zaibatsu Corporation will be the main antagonists running the city, but Claude will mostly be working for them throughout the story. 

I'm not sure if I'll ever actually create this concept, but I thought I'd at least mention it here and see if it's a good idea or not.

Hey i know that you wrote about 2-half months ago but i like your concept with Gta 2 so i thought if you are planning to do it and hopefully it can expanded because, i would be dissapointed if it s not gonna happen.

• Like 1

Are concepts for other games allowed on this forum?

I've got ideas for a prequel to Sleeping Dogs set in the existing Hong Kong map plus Kowloon during the early-to-mid 90s with a plot revolving around the Three Tigers and Uncle Po's rise to power.

Edited by DownInThePMs
  • Like 1
The Notorious MOB
1 hour ago, DownInThePMs said:

Are concepts for other games allowed on this forum?

I've got ideas for a prequel to Sleeping Dogs set in the existing Hong Kong map plus Kowloon during the early-to-mid 90s with a plot revolving around the Three Tigers and Uncle Po's rise to power.

If it's purely text (which I think most of yours are), then I think it's allowed in the Writer's Discussion section. But why not just change it to the Lee Family or something and maybe chart Huang's father's rise to power instead. Then it'd be fair game for posting in here. Just a thought.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Money Over Bullsh*t said:

If it's purely text (which I think most of yours are), then I think it's allowed in the Writer's Discussion section. But why not just change it to the Lee Family or something and maybe chart Huang's father's rise to power instead. Then it'd be fair game for posting in here. Just a thought.

Sounds cool but i personally don't find Huang's story very interesting other than his relationship with Wade. I prefer working with original characters if I can.

The Notorious MOB
2 minutes ago, DownInThePMs said:

Sounds cool but i personally don't find Huang's story very interesting other than his relationship with Wade. I prefer working with original characters if I can.

Huang was born in 1983 so he'd be a teenager at most during the 1990s. The story would presumably have nothing to do with him. And CTW was already about his rise also. I'm not really that familiar with the Sleeping Dogs lore, but the wiki says Uncle Po was a Red Pole and already a candidate for chairman by 1981. So his rise would have likely been in the 1970s.

11 hours ago, Money Over Bullsh*t said:

Huang was born in 1983 so he'd be a teenager at most during the 1990s. The story would presumably have nothing to do with him. And CTW was already about his rise also

yeah just not the biggest fan of CTW's story in general. Never really found the whole dysfunctional family dynamic all that interesting, not to mention that GTA storylines at this point sort of took a nosedive into full-on satirical territory. A triad story set between the Bay Area and Hong Kong in the 70s to 80s might be cool though. Kinda like a cross  between a rags-to-riches type story and an immigrant one.

11 hours ago, Money Over Bullsh*t said:

And CTW was already about his rise also. I'm not really that familiar with the Sleeping Dogs lore, but the wiki says Uncle Po was a Red Pole and already a candidate for chairman by 1981. So his rise would have likely been in the 1970s.

Yeah, candidate in '81, but he ratted out the then-chairmen of the Sun On Yee (The Three Tigers) to Interpol (with Pendrew) sometime after that, the period isn't really specified. The idea I had for it would be set in the ensuing fallout of their arrests (which I take to be roughly around the era I've mentioned), and would also cover the rise to powers of characters like Broken Nose Jiang (who would be playable in this concept and you'd learn how she got her nickname) and Big Smile Lee.

but since we can't do non-GTA concepts here I guess I'll just let that idea slide then.

Edited by DownInThePMs
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, DownInThePMs said:

yeah just not the biggest fan of CTW's story in general. Never really found the whole dysfunctional family dynamic all that interesting, not to mention that GTA storylines at this point sort of took a nosedive into full-on satirical territory. A triad story set between the Bay Area and Hong Kong in the 70s to 80s might be cool though. Kinda like a cross  between a rags-to-riches type story and an immigrant one.

Yeah, candidate in '81, but he ratted out the then-chairmen of the Sun On Yee (The Three Tigers) to Interpol (with Pendrew) sometime after that, the period isn't really specified. The idea I had for it would be set in the ensuing fallout of their arrests (which I take to be roughly around the era I've mentioned), and would also cover the rise to powers of characters like Broken Nose Jiang (who would be playable in this concept and you'd learn how she got her nickname) and Big Smile Lee.

but since we can't do non-GTA concepts here I guess I'll just let that idea slide then.

We might be able to post them in Writer's Discussion, because I've got some good concept threads of my own that are not limited to GTA

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Big Fat Paulie said:

We might be able to post them in Writer's Discussion, because I've got some good concept threads of my own that are not limited to GTA

might just do that then some time

• Like 1
The Notorious MOB
10 hours ago, DownInThePMs said:

Yeah it could be a decent concept. You've probably already seen it but here's an interesting article that outlines many details relating to the Sun Yee On, including a former police officer turned Red Pole who flipped in the mid '80s:

https://newrepublic.com/article/90738/partners-in-crime

The 14K (18K in game) were also fairly active in and around Dan Francisco at the time, so maybe you could factor in that somehow.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Money Over Bullsh*t said:

The 14K (18K in game) were also fairly active in and around Dan Francisco at the time, so maybe you could factor in that somehow.

Yep, I was kind of thinking of having a part of the concept be temporarily set in SF, where they handle business with the American Triads, kinda like Guarma in RDR2. Also I was planning on having two protagonists in this concept, one a triad (Broken Nose Jiang) who is mostly hands-on and actively engaged in the underworld and the other a Dirty Harry-esque, corrupt HKPD detective answering to Pendrew who can arrest and frisk anyone in the city, a bit like the original concept for Sleeping Dogs 2.

That said I kinda want to integrate the Russian Mafia (a bit like that Stranglehold game with Tequila) into this idea as well and have them play a major role since they'd probably be a source of firearms for the triad groups especially after the dissolution of the union and the fall of the wall.

Edited by DownInThePMs
  • Like 1
The Notorious MOB
37 minutes ago, DownInThePMs said:

Yep, I was kind of thinking of having a part of the concept be temporarily set in SF, where they handle business with the American Triads, kinda like Guarma in RDR2. Also I was planning on having two protagonists in this concept, one a triad (Broken Nose Jiang) who is mostly hands-on and actively engaged in the underworld and the other a Dirty Harry-esque, corrupt HKPD detective answering to Pendrew who can arrest and frisk anyone in the city, a bit like the original concept for Sleeping Dogs 2.

That said I kinda want to integrate the Russian Mafia (a bit like that Stranglehold game with Tequila) into this idea as well and have them play a major role since they'd probably be a source of firearms for the triad groups especially after the dissolution of the union and the fall of the wall.

Like most products the Chinese are pretty adept at copying Russian and American made weapons through the government owned Norinco. 

You could probably start in SF in the 1970s and chart the events leading up to something akin to the infamous Golden Dragon Massacre or you could go the other way with a gang similar to the Sun Yee On affiliated Wo Hop To and start in Hong Kong before moving to San Fran in the 1990s. Or both.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Money Over Bullsh*t said:

Like most products the Chinese are pretty adept at copying Russian and American made weapons through the government owned Norinco. 

You could probably start in SF in the 1970s and chart the events leading up to something akin to the infamous Golden Dragon Massacre or you could go the other way with a gang similar to the Sun Yee On affiliated Wo Hop To and start in Hong Kong before moving to San Fran in the 1990s. Or both.

Is it okay if I pm you about this?