Labour Unions... What is your opinion on them?

SouthLand

Basically the title says it all, Are you into Unions? Are you Against them? Or you just don't care about them?

Let's all share our points of view.

If you don't know what it is, let me give you a small definition that the Wikipedia provides:

"Labor unions are legally recognized as representatives of workers in many industries in the United States(and many countries around the world). Their activity today centers on collective bargaining over wages, benefits, and working conditions for their membership, and on representing their members in disputes with management over violations of contract provisions."

I don't think anyone in their right mind is fundamentally against labour organisations that campaign for athe interest of workers. I struggle to see how anyone who isn't a right-wing objectivist could possibly disprove of the principle.

I like the German model there the unions by and large stay the hell away from the political sphere. I dislike the British model where a small number of individuals at the top of unions attempt to enforce their own political views on the rest of society by coercing, blackmailing and in some cases threatening to withdraw assistance from individual members in order to make political headway on issues the vast majority of the population, not to mention large swathes of the union itself, couldn't give a collective toss about. It's utter hypocrisy given that many of these union leaders are taking home £200k plus pay packets whilst doing very little to actually support the workers they claim to represent, instead playing kingmaker and generally sticking their noses in other people's business. There's an atmosphere of bullying an intimidation in some unions every bit as bad as in the worst corporate environments.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

I am not against Unions, I think Unions and business should work together always and never against each other. However in my country it doesn't work like this. Unions are politicized by far-left members that are always against the businessman and always pro worker, and, by businessman i don't mean a guy who owns a huge company but a standard citizen who owns a small shop and has 3 people employed.

Spain has a lot of laws that benefit workers who plan on harming a business. In Spain, a worker can work for seven years and after that period of time he knows he is invincible because if the businessman want to fire him for any reason he was to pay the worker a quantity of 15,000-30,000€. A big company maybe don't have trouble paying that but now imagine a small restaurant of a residential neighborhood or and small business of your choice... It's impossible. So what does the worker do? If he works more than 8 hours a day, he can go to court sue the businessman and the judges will allow him to work 8 hours even if the businessman has provides proof that he can't have someone only working eight hours. Judges in Spain are very pro worker and basically they suggest you to fire workers if you don't need them but, if you can't pay them when you fire them, judges recomend you to close your business so you can pay your worker... Just incredible.

Anyways, OT, Unions here in Spain don't protect the worker and are not willing to cooperate with business, Unions are paid with Spanish citizens taxes (Even if someone doesn't need or want them), and the only thing they care about is money. The two big Unions in Spain (UGT, CCOO) have been involved in Corruption cases.

4541329253607-reloj.jpg

Candido Mendez, president of UGT union behind a poster that says "General Strike"

Conclusion: I am not against Unions, i am against how unions are run in my country where they don't care about workers and they like to harm small and medium business while they are not harming the big companies that are forcing exploiting workers because they get nice paychecks from them. Unions and business should work together to find a balance that can benefit everybody not starting a war and forcing small business to close making the unemployment rate rise.

I deeply hate them.

I think they are just a bunch of opportunist parasites who want to take advantage at the expense of the worker.

As a union member, I'm quite fond.

From a personal point of view it stops us being overworked and underpaid (certainly far from the parasitical image apparently imagined by the member above) but they also put in a lot of safety and service practices that help everyone, especially the general public.

Edited by Mark

From a personal point of view it stops us being overworked and underpaid (certainly far from the parasitical image apparently imagined by the member above) but they also put in a lot of safety and service practices that help everyone, especially the general public.

That's what laws are for.

Frank Brown

Wouldn't it make more sense to band together with workers you have something in common with, rather than put the fate of your job in the hands of corruptible politicians and constituents who don't work there?

Wouldn't it make more sense to band together with workers you have something in common with, rather than put the fate of your job in the hands of corruptible politicians and constituents who don't work there?

Are we are talking about a normal job or a life or death situation in the middle of the jungle in Vietnam?

Misbegotten cad

Here in Finland unions have way too much power over the industries:

-because of those unions, workers must be paid way too big salaries. Which means most companies cannot afford enough workers. And of course, those workers that they have, cannot work overtime because the union tells them not to.

It is because of our selfish unions that Finland is in such trouble these days. I mean if we want to survive, we must cut wages down by 10%.

But that will not happen because those unions will not allow it.

Indeed, those dratted unions rather see Finland fall into recession than lower wages. Basterds, the lot of them.

Here in Finland unions have way too much power over the industries:

-because of those unions, workers must be paid way too big salaries. Which means most companies cannot afford enough workers. And of course, those workers that they have, cannot work overtime because the union tells them not to.

It is because of our selfish unions that Finland is in such trouble these days. I mean if we want to survive, we must cut wages down by 10%.

But that will not happen because those unions will not allow it.

Indeed, those dratted unions rather see Finland fall into recession than lower wages. Basterds, the lot of them.

In Spain is not much of the salaries but more likely about firing workers. As i said before, if a workers has been working for you for about seven years, prepare 15,000 - 30,000€ if you want to fire him, because that's what you are going to have to pay him in order to leave. That can be easy for a big company like Volkswagen but, imagine someone who own a cafeteria or a small shop...

I am into Labour Unions and belong to one. It gives me good protection for long time, if such tragedy would happen that I lost my job. But it won' t happen, because my Boss knows how fu*king good, discipline and obedient slave I am.

spacer.png

RoadRunner71

Somebody has to protect workers' rights when Government and laws don’t. We've already been deprived of some rights with the latest reform in the labour laws thanks to our beloved Government and businessmen, I can’t imagine what would happen if they didn’t have any obstacle to operate.

Corruption seems to be an endemic problem in Spain, which of course has to be solved, but every institution seems to be affected not just the unions (which is really shameful).

• Like 1

Fuzzknuckles

I deeply hate them.

I think they are just a bunch of opportunist parasites who want to take advantage at the expense of the worker.

By trying to get them fairer deals from their employers? By protecting the workers from exploitation by the employers?

Unions are absolutely vital. Workers need them, or employers will take advantage in any way they can.

• Like 1
Signatures are dumb anyway.

I never thought they had any use, but at the end of this year the factory my dad works at is being shut down (Tetra Pak; Moerdijk), while they made a profit last year and are deploying another factory in another country. They obviously had to get a good severance package but they weren't offering anything more than the usual. Together with the union the employers set up timed strikes, made sure the work piled up on the most important days, forced customers to switch to the competition and thus ended up getting what they wanted.

Without a union I'm pretty sure it would've been a chaotic mess of 40% of the people striking one day and the others on a completely different day (they all work in shifts as well). There was also Philip Morris that closed down here earlier, though they weren't putting up a fight like Tetra Pak was.

I'm sure there are plenty of instances of corruption within unions, all I know is I would have had a much harder time growing up if my dad wasn't a member of one. When you have five mouths to feed off of a single income, you need every bit of help you can get to ensure your family doesn't go hungry.

Billy Bragg sums it up pretty well:

• Like 1

make total destroy

Said laws wouldn't exist in the first place without labor unions, bud.

Funny, that's how I feel about bosses.

Edited by ShootPeopleNotDope
  • Like 3

yqwcbDf.png

The boss is the one who gives you a job and pays your salary. Bosses are not the enemy; in fact, you should thank them. But if you don't want to have a boss you can always create your own business, something you can't do in communist countries.

I cucked Alex Jones

A lot of republicans bitch about unions in the US, but as a worker, I would much rather live in a country with unions than a country without them.

Still don't like how they get involved in politics, but then again, everything about US politics is f*cked up.

universetwisters

I deeply hate them.

My dad was heavily involved in his local carpenter union and I still have his old jacket he would wear all the time to his meetings (below). What you just claimed, for lack of a better word, was total hack. Unions do not take advantage of the worker because unions are the worker. It's the workers who attend the meetings, it's the workers who pay union dues, and it's the workers who push for better working conditions, wages, whatever it is that they're wanting. Think of it this way, if you're working somewhere and your boss makes you work for long hours with poor pay, what do you do? Do you keep going with it and make barely enough money to support yourself or do you join your local union and fight to oppose it? Like I said above, my dad was very involved in his local union and even got elected president of it before he died. Do you think he was an "opportunist parasite" taking advantage of the workers or someone who fought poor working conditions?

And here's his jacket if anyone's interested,

R1AcD.jpg

sTgL5iS.png

Fuzzknuckles

The boss is the one who gives you a job and pays your salary. Bosses are not the enemy; in fact, you should thank them. But if you don't want to have a boss you can always create your own business, something you can't do in communist countries.

And if that boss is paying unfairly, but it's the only job you can get? Who helps then? The union.

I suggest you do some serious reading up on how and why Unions have come to be. You might find your blinkered opinions change quite rapidly.

Or perhaps you're quite happy to serve your master without question?

My dad was heavily involved in his local carpenter union and I still have his old jacket he would wear all the time to his meetings (below). What you just claimed, for lack of a better word, was total hack. Unions do not take advantage of the worker because unions are the worker. It's the workers who attend the meetings, it's the workers who pay union dues, and it's the workers who push for better working conditions, wages, whatever it is that they're wanting. Think of it this way, if you're working somewhere and your boss makes you work for long hours with poor pay, what do you do? Do you keep going with it and make barely enough money to support yourself or do you join your local union and fight to oppose it? Like I said above, my dad was very involved in his local union and even got elected president of it before he died. Do you think he was an "opportunist parasite" taking advantage of the workers or someone who fought poor working conditions?

Your dad sounds like he was a good man. I'd be proud to have that jacket if I were his son.

Edited by Fuzzknuckles
  • Like 3

universetwisters

Your dad sounds like he was a good man. I'd be proud to have that jacket if I were his son.

I'd wear it if I didn't live in Florida. Hopefully when I move out to cold Colorado, I'll have an opportunity to. I'm hoping I can find a union for forklift drivers if one exists out there, that would be good beans.

sTgL5iS.png

kipakolonyasi

unions are good stuff man government would screw over workers even more if they didn't exist.

I deeply hate them.

[PICTURE]

That's maybe in the USA; in Israel, Spain and many European countries labour unions are very different.

No, I NEVER said your father (RIP) was an oportunist parasite, I said labour unions (in countries mentioned before) are.

universetwisters

I deeply hate them.

[PICTURE]

That's maybe in the USA; in Israel, Spain and many European countries labour unions are very different.

No, I NEVER said your father (RIP) was an oportunist parasite, I said labour unions (in countries mentioned before) are.

It didn't really look like you were saying unions in other countries are. If looked like you were talking about unions as a whole with not specifying something like "I deeply hate unions from country X" or something.

sTgL5iS.png

And if that boss is paying unfairly, but it's the only job you can get?

You can always create your own business.

I suggest you do some serious reading up on how and why Unions have come to be. You might find your blinkered opinions change quite rapidly.

I know how do unions "work" in Israel and Spain (SouthLand has greatly explained it). So I hate them. Maybe they are not mafias in other counties

Edited by Palikari

Fuzzknuckles

There are millions of people in poverty who would disagree with you.

• Like 2

I know how do unions "work" in Israel and Spain (SouthLand has greatly explained it). So I hate them. Maybe they are not mafias in other counties

Wouldn't it be better to hate the system that allows them to operate in an unscrupulous manner, as opposed the the unions themselves? Would you wish to abolish a police force that is heavily corrupted and leave vulnerable people unprotected? Because unions do just that, protect vulnerable people who are in a position that is easily exploitable, just like mine and UT's fathers.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

• Like 3

If they can't create their own business, it's mostly due to socialist policies like high taxes, that prevent people from saving money. What we need is business-friendly policies.

kipakolonyasi

If they can't create their own business, it's mostly due to socialist policies like high taxes, that prevent people from saving money. What we need is business-friendly policies.

what if only thing i have in my hands is my manpower? no money no capital nothing else? am i destined to be screwed?

• Like 1

what if only thing i have in my hands is my manpower? no money no capital nothing else? am i destined to be screwed?

You can get business partners and start a business together. Allot of friends started like this and guess what, many of them made it to the top.

• Like 2