So now they want to build a huge Mosque...

SouthLand

Famous Barcelona bullring may be converted into Europe’s biggest mosque
Published time: June 24, 2014 14:13 Get short URL
A general view of the 'La Monumental' bullfighting arena in Barcelona (AFP Photo / Josep Lago) A general view of the 'La Monumental' bullfighting arena in Barcelona (AFP Photo / Josep Lago)

la-monumental.si.jpg

The Emir of Qatar has reportedly agreed to roll out €2.2 billion ($2.99 bn) to convert Barcelona's Monumental bullring into a 40,000-capacity mosque, the biggest in Europe, by 2020, if the city council approves the project.

The building would include a 300m high minaret which may become the third largest in the world after those in Mecca and Medina, reports 20 Minutos, Spain's most-read general newspaper, citing its sources close to the project. The mosque for Barcelona’s Muslims will also have a conference hall, a Koran study center, housing up to 300 people, and a museum of Islamic art and history.

The Balaña Group in Barcelona has already agreed the sale, reports 20 Minutos. The next stage will be discussing the project with the city council and getting its approval. The Balaña group, however, hasn’t confirmed the information, the paper writes.

According to the Statistics Department of Barcelona´s Town Council, at least 500,000 Muslims were living in Barcelona in 2012. But despite this significant number, the city has only several small houses of worship for Muslims.

"Locals would have to be proud that Muslims transformed the pain of the bulls into a spiritual center," Mowafak Kanfach, owner of Barcelona's Arabic Book Shop, told 20 Minutos. "The law says that everyone has the right to pray in a dignified place, not in a commercial premises."

The Plaza Monumental de Barcelona, opened in 1914, has hosted the concerts of many celebrities, including the Beatles, Tina Turner, the Rolling Stones and Bob Marley. Since the ban on bullfights in Catalonia in 2010, no bullfighting has been held in the arena.

The Monumental Bullring is not the first place in the city to be considered as a site for a mosque. In 2004, the city authorities negotiated with Saudi Arabia over the Las Arenas bullring. However, the plan was postponed and finally Barcelona council decided to build a shopping center instead of a mosque.

----------------

Who the hell asked us the people from Barcelona if we want a mosque?

I don't want a mosque, in Barcelona. I don't like bullfighting and a lot of people don't like it either but for god sake,I find it a disgrace and a insult to build this in my city. Also, Why not use the building for a multipurpose place to hold other events like concerts or plays?

They did that with the old bullfighting place called "Las Arenas" and nobody complained because the only demands by the people where to keep the current structure since it was very old and part of our architectonic culture. And they did: Here is a picture:

CC_Las_Arenas_exterior.JPG

20110324-3732831w.jpg

If this was built in Britain, it will be a whole different story.

Britain is a multicultural country. Spain not as much since mass immigration started basically in the 2000-2005 and it was basically South Americans that came here for work.

Welcome to the world of religion, my friend. They wanted to build a Mosque on the same block as ground zero for 9/11 at one point. Don't think it happened, I haven't read up on it since last year or so.

z9wmcu3.png

We Portuguese and Spanish people fought muslims back in the day(11th century) and now they're comming again? It's time to bring back the Templar. Just kidding :lol:.

I see no problem, why do you find it a disgrace?

THE GHETTO JEZUS

Same here, nothing wrong with building a Mosque there. The site isn't even being used so why not.

1vhA2Ri.gif

Because it was a place of history and what not.. that's why I would imagine they have issues. Why not keep it as a historical site?

If they want to build a mosque, go purchase some land and build one.

z9wmcu3.png

Britain is a multicultural country. Spain not as much since mass immigration started basically in the 2000-2005 and it was basically South Americans that came here for work.

It's funny you say that, as the proportion of Muslims in the UK as a percentage of the population (1.6m in 63m total population) is almost exactly the same as in Spain (1.1m in 47m total population).

I have no problem with this and don't understand why anyone would. It's far less offensive than the Cathedral of Córdoba for instance, where the Catholic church of Spain tried to destroy the Moorish history of the city by building a huge cathedral that entirely enclosed a mosque as if to mirror the Catholic domination of Islam in the Middle East during the Crusades. That's basically a very big single finger salute to Islam. Even more so given that the Vatican and Spanish authorities to this day still don't permitted the mosque in the centre of the cathedral to actually be used by Muslims.

It's kind of poetic justice IMO. Catholic political authorities in post-Moorish Spain demean Islam by building a huge cathedral over a mosque and spend the next near-millenium not letting Muslims anywhere near it, so in exchange Islam coopts a Spanish national heritage structure to be a massive mosque. Love the irony.

• Like 8

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Adam Jensen

They should build something useful instead.

Welcome to the world of religion, my friend. They wanted to build a Mosque on the same block as ground zero for 9/11 at one point. Don't think it happened, I haven't read up on it since last year or so.

Years back, a member of E.T.A (Basque country region in Northern Spain terrorist group), decided to put a shop in the same block where a victim that he years back had killed lived. It's legal yes, but it's not ethic.

We Portuguese and Spanish people fought muslims back in the day(11th century) and now they're comming again? It's time to bring back the Templar. Just kidding :lol:.

Not the templar, but we have to tell the Oil Emirs to calm down and stop expanding like the Ottoman Empire.

I see no problem, why do you find it a disgrace?

Because historic buildings should NOT be purchased without asking the general public.

Same here, nothing wrong with building a Mosque there. The site isn't even being used so why not.

It can be used for many purposes. But the mayor likes money more than running the city

Because it was a place of history and what not.. that's why I would imagine they have issues. Why not keep it as a historical site?

If they want to build a mosque, go purchase some land and build one.

Exactly.

It's funny you say that, as the proportion of Muslims in the UK as a percentage of the population (1.6m in 63m total population) is almost exactly the same as in Spain (1.1m in 47m total population).

Remember that we have two enclaves in Africa where i would say that a big percentage of the population are muslim.

They should build something useful instead.

I agree. I say a Theater or a Cultural place.

I don't want a mosque, in Barcelona. I don't like bullfighting and a lot of people don't like it either but for god sake,I find it a disgrace and a insult to build this in my city. Also, Why not use the building for a multipurpose place to hold other events like concerts or plays?

According to the Statistics Department of Barcelona´s Town Council, at least 500,000 Muslims were living in Barcelona in 2012. But despite this significant number, the city has only several small houses of worship for Muslims.

Seems like half a million people of Barcelona want a mosque. It's just as much their city as it is yours.

I'm sure you can think of many better uses for the site but do you have €2bn to fund such a project? If not, I would suggest considering yourself lucky that someone else does have the funds and wants to spend them in the city you live in.

Edited by El Tel
  • Like 1

Misbegotten cad

Different christian sects are always building meeting centers everywhere here in Finland.

-communities are never asked if they want some sectist freaks in their neighbohood, trying to convert their young to their weirdo cult.

But as far as a mosque is concerned:

Now, I'm a fervent christian, and I do not like Islam or muslims much.

Nevertheless, I think a mosque is safer option than, say, a church of mormons.

-after all, those muslims will not try to convert your kids, while those creepy mormons try to convert everybody.

From all the things happening in current day muslim countries, getting my kids converted would be the least of my concerns.

Edited by dice

Seems like half a million people of Barcelona want a mosque. It's just as much their city as it is yours.

I'm sure you can think of many better uses for the site but do you have €2bn to fund such a project? If not, I would suggest considering yourself lucky that someone else does have the funds and wants to spend them in the city you live in.

Yeah f*cking right... I was never asked AND, i doubt 500,000 people agree.

The statistic is a fraud so the Town Hall can aprove this and they can get a lot of millions of euros in their pockets. f*cking scum politicians.

Any evidence of that corruption or are you just alleging it because you've rub out of other defences for your views?

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Frank Brown

Let's see. 500,000 Muslims living in Barcelona, with a total population of 1.62 million. That's roughly 1/3rd of the population and that's pretty significant. I'd rather have a huge mosque than a ring dedicated to the killing of an animal for sport.

Just saying.

And I know GW brought up the Mosque near the WTC memorial earlier in the thread. There's a bit of logic behind the uproar over that.

This? Not really. Seems like a non-issue.

Edit:

Spain has local elections like other democracies, correct? As in, the people who need to approve of this deal (town board) are elected officials? If so, that just solidifies my stance that this is a non-issue.

Edited by Vlynor

Any evidence of that corruption or are you just alleging it because you've rub out of other defences for your views?

Corruption from the political party that runs the TownHall:

http://www.publico.es/espana/446270/la-corrupcion-converge-en-ciu

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20130319/oriol-pujol-imputado-caso-itv/620335.shtml

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caso_Millet

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/noticias/opinion/desahucios-vivienda-social-frenazo-gobierno-rajoy-portadas-corrupcion-ciu-mas-pujol-2251009

Let's see. 500,000 Muslims living in Barcelona, with a total population of 1.62 million. That's roughly 1/3rd of the population and that's pretty significant. I'd rather have a huge mosque than a ring dedicated to the killing of an animal for sport.

Just saying.

And I know GW brought up the Mosque near the WTC memorial earlier in the thread. There's a bit of logic behind the uproar over that.

There are NO 500,000 muslims living in Barcelona.

Frank Brown

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/noticias/opinion/desahucios-vivienda-social-frenazo-gobierno-rajoy-portadas-corrupcion-ciu-mas-pujol-2251009

Just saying.

There are NO 500,000 muslims living in Barcelona.

Regardless, read my edit and please address that.

Edited by Vlynor

@Vlynor

The can built a Mosque sure they can. But why do they have to do it on a Historical building? What's next, a brothel in La Sagrada Familia?

Frank Brown

@Vlynor

The can built a Mosque sure they can. But why do they have to do it on a Historical building? What's next, a brothel in La Sagrada Familia?

This would be something to bring up to your town board. It seems clear the intent of the buyer was to make this a big project.

Also, it seems a bit demeaning to compare a place of worship to a place where you get your dick sucked.

• Like 2

Correlation =! Causation. The fact that corruption scandals have involved the political party dominant in Barcelona is not evidence of corruption in Barcelona, let alone evidence of corruption in this particular decision making process.

I'd really like your thoughts on the parallel I've drawn with the Spanish government's behaviour towards Muslims who want to pray at the mosque in Córdoba cathedral.

• Like 2

Untitled-1.jpg

@Vlynor

This would be something to bring up to your town board. It seems clear the intent of the buyer was to make this a big project.

Also, it seems a bit demeaning to compare a place of worship to a place where you get your dick sucked.

Both activities are legal, but both are at the wrong place. It's like opening a Burger King in a Olg Polish concentration camp... It's just wrong.

Correlation =! Causation. The fact that corruption scandals have involved the political party dominant in Barcelona is not evidence of corruption in Barcelona, let alone evidence of corruption in this particular decision making process.

I'd really like your thoughts on the parallel I've drawn with the Spanish government's behaviour towards Muslims who want to pray at the mosque in Córdoba cathedral.

Spain, is a country where freedom of speech and RELIGION is totally enforced, whether in Qatar, and other Muslim countries it's not. In Spain a muslim can be muslim and pray and he is not comitting a crime. If they want to build a Mosque, fine, there is plenty of empty places they can rent.

Edited by SouthLand

Both activities are legal, but both are at the wrong place. It's like opening a Burger King in a Olg Polish concentration camp... It's just wrong.

Spain, is a country where freedom of speech and RELIGION is totally enforced, whether in Qatar, and other Muslim countries it's not. In Spain a muslim can be muslim and pray and he is not comitting a crime. If they want to build a Mosque, fine, there is plenty of empty places they can rent.

Firstly, opening a Burger King in a concentration camp sounds like a fantastic idea. I wasn't there myself but I'm pretty sure food was kind of scarce. Secondly, you have no objection to someone else redeveloping the site into something else, so what is it about a mosque that you find so "disgraceful?"

Edited by El Tel

I think you're missing the point Southland. I'm making the point that Spanish authorities have a track history of letting the Catholic church in particular sh*t all over Spain's Moorish heritage, so isn't it pretty just that a group of Muslims want to co-opt a Spanish landmark and turn it into a mosque given that basically every historic mosque or Islamic religious site in Spain has either become a tourist attraction or been turned into a Catholic site of worship where Muslims are practically banned?

• Like 3

Untitled-1.jpg

I think you're missing the point Southland. I'm making the point that Spanish authorities have a track history of letting the Catholic church in particular sh*t all over Spain's Moorish heritage, so isn't it pretty just that a group of Muslims want to co-opt a Spanish landmark and turn it into a mosque given that basically every historic mosque or Islamic religious site in Spain has either become a tourist attraction or been turned into a Catholic site of worship where Muslims are practically banned?

1. Most of the Catholic church has many historic sites due to Dictator Franco that was very religious. And as you know, Franco was NEVER elected.

2. They are not banned, there are a lot of empty buildings they can buy as they wish.

3. Try opening a huge Catholic church in Arabia Saudi, Qatar, Iran, Irak... See what happens.

4. It's funny that you are from a country that still has colonies all around the world and, you are not wiling to stop holding them. We instead, don't want our colonies back, BUT we will love to live in peace. ETA terrorism was enough thank you.

RoadRunner71

Jesus Christ, wasn’t enough getting rid of (a notable part of) the power of the Catholic church that now we have to deal with Muslims as well?

f*ck them, if you want to practise your faith do it in your home.

By the way, isn't the building currently a shopping mall? How come that they would be willing to reconvert it to a Mosque, it isn’t profitable enough?

4. It's funny that you are from a country that still has colonies all around the world and, you are not wiling to stop holding them. We instead, don't want our colonies back, BUT we will love to live in peace. ETA terrorism was enough thank you.

What colonies exactly?

iz5LICs.gif

Jesus Christ, wasn’t enough getting rid of (a notable part of) the power of the Catholic church that now we have to deal with Muslims as well?

f*ck them, if you want to practise your faith do it in your home.

By the way, isn't the building currently a shopping mall? How come that they would be willing to reconvert it to a Mosque, it isn’t profitable enough?

Exactly.

What colonies exactly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Overseas_Territories