Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,396 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Mister Pink

The Good Country Index

Mister Pink

...here are 125 country balance sheets graded across seven categories, including things like science and technology, world order, prosperity and equality and health and wellbeing. Each of those seven has got five datasets in them. Take for example world order. That includes five data sets representing things like how much each country gives in charity and overseas development, its population growth, and its status of ratification and signatories of UN treaties....

Interesting experiment. Makes me proud to come from where I'm from. Also, Forbes voted Ireland best place for business and thankfully we have Google EMEA here etc. Things are coming up Millhouse. It's great to hear some positive news after a long, hard recession.

Full article here..

http://ideas.ted.com/2014/06/23/guess-which-country-does-the-most-good-for-the-planet/

gci_index.png?w=770&h=433

sivispacem

There's some seriously f*cked up stuff going on there for Egypt to top the list in "International Peace and Security". Nigeria 9th? LIbya 16th? DR Congo 49th?

The rest makes a certain degree of sense but that "peace and security" one is pure, grade-A bullsh*t.

RedDagger

Yeah, that ranking is entirely based on international peace and security. Doesn't matter how messed up they are themselves, if they're not giving guns to other countries then they're perfectly fine.

I don't think that's a good way of measuring things.

Still, interesting how all but one are mostly in north-west Europe. There's probably a better way of doing things.

make total destroy

What a buncha claptrap.

"The objections to the approach massively outnumber the supporting factors. I have become the world’s leading expert on why this is a crap idea. And I decided to do it anyway."

He should have just stopped when he realized it was a crap idea.

mr quick

Exactly how does this ranking system work? Where's the data from?

sivispacem

Got no f*cking idea. How Sweden ranks worse than the UK in "Int'l Peace and Security" despite the fact a) all their major weapons companies are owned by UK corporations (Saab AB and Bofors are sub-brands of BAE systems these days) and b) the UK seems far more involved in overseas military action.

But the entire thing is utterly idiotic so who cares.

universetwisters

I'm trying to figure out how "Culture" is measured on the charts.

El Tel

I think they use the same system that Sid Meier used in Civilization V.

universetwisters

I never played Civilization I-V so I wouldn't know how that works.

TheFoxRiverFugitive

How do you measure "culture"? This is ridiculous.

El Tel

I never played Civilization I-V so I wouldn't know how that works.

The first time you loose a tank army to a bunch of defending archers, you realize that no one really has a clue how Civ works. Much like this index.

Edited by El Tel

Coin

Even worse when you consider Sid Meier had zero involvement in that particular title.

universetwisters

Even worse when you consider Sid Meier had zero involvement in that particular title.

Sometimes I like to pretend that Sid Meier is a fictional person, like Jay Gatsby and Winston Smith, only existing to promote the game and nothing else.

Does Culture have to do with how many people in other countries talk about your country or how many people in your country talk about other countries?

Raavi

How do you measure "culture"? This is ridiculous.

According to this professional bullsh*tter:

Creative goods exports + Creative services exports, UNESCO dues in arrears as % of contribution + Freedom of movement + Press freedom = culture

All in all this index is about as accurate as that Nigerian dude's research with chickens and magnets that "disproved" gay marriage.

Coin

Sometimes I like to pretend that Sid Meier is a fictional person, like Jay Gatsby and Winston Smith, only existing to promote the game and nothing else.

Does Culture have to do with how many people in other countries talk about your country or how many people in your country talk about other countries?

I'm pretty sure they'll be putting his name on games long after he's gone, so we might do well to start pretending he is a fictional person.

Culture: Who builds the most funny looking pieces of architecture.

mareepx

...here are 125 country balance sheets graded across seven categories, including things like science and technology, world order, prosperity and equality and health and wellbeing. Each of those seven has got five datasets in them. Take for example world order. That includes five data sets representing things like how much each country gives in charity and overseas development, its population growth, and its status of ratification and signatories of UN treaties....

Interesting experiment. Makes me proud to come from where I'm from. Also, Forbes voted Ireland best place for business and thankfully we have Google EMEA here etc. Things are coming up Millhouse. It's great to hear some positive news after a long, hard recession.

Full article here..

http://ideas.ted.com/2014/06/23/guess-which-country-does-the-most-good-for-the-planet/

gci_index.png?w=770&h=433

Hey, we (The UK and the rest of the EU) had to bailout your country a few years back to stop the economy from collapse. So how the f*ck is Ireland best place for business? Well if it was Forbes they said a while back that Microsoft would go out of business they're full of sh*t.

RoadRunner71

Under which category are penis lenghts classified?

na89340qv0n34b09q340

The index sorta kinda breaks down how the categories are measured. All seven categories each have five factors that are measured quantitatively (and not really representative of the entire category either). It's a shame they didn't make the data used public, just makes it look even more shoddy.

Anyway, here's the culture page. (http://www.goodcountry.org/category/culture) It's based on creative goods/services, UNESCO collaboration, and personal freedoms. (e: Whoops, hadn't seen raavi's post!) Seems closer to how GP generation works than culture in Civ V, but I haven't played in a while. :p

Edited by Joe Chip

Melech

In a single word: BULLsh*t. Seriously, I'm freaking out.

Mister Pink

Wow, people get so angry. That's one guys study, posted it for a bit of fun. No need to get your panties in a twist.

@Marepx: That bailout is a lend in which it will be paid back with interest. I wouldn't get so worried about acting like a bank for a few years. It can be a nice deed moving forward from things of the past. Also the we're out of the bailout scheme sooner than expected, I believe and there's economy growth again.

http://www.forbes.com/best-countries-for-business/

Edited by Mister Pink

sivispacem

I think the issue is that certain bits of it make absolutely no logical sense. They're not even factually accurate.

It's basically just a huge advert for how astoundingly ignorant the guy whose assembled the whole thing is.

epoxi

Full article here..

Hey, we (The UK and the rest of the EU) had to bailout your country a few years back to stop the economy from collapse. So how the f*ck is Ireland best place for business? Well if it was Forbes they said a while back that Microsoft would go out of business they're full of sh*t.

It's best for business because Ireland is using the bailout money to undercut the rest of the EU's tax rates haha.

marksia8296

ridiculous list imo.

GTA_stu

MisterPink being Irish totally had nothing to do with him posting this made up list, that just so happens to have Ireland at number 1.