GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Racing: Keyboard vs. Gamepad

kABUSE

I keep this one short:

In a nutshell, keyboard buttons only know pressed or not pressed. But thumbsticks of gamepads know several thousand conditions which SHOULD basically allow far smoother controls, as it makes it possible to e.g. only turn a little.

Now I have the question... GTA V for PC will definitely come with xbox one gamepad support. In theory, as long as it only comes down to racing, won't you be far better off with a gamepad?

Will they separate gamepad users from keyboard users (as they did separate free aim from auto aim)?

No they won't separate keyboard and pad users, and we'll be able to use a pad and the keyboard at the same time as it was the case for GTA IV.

Wildfire_08

I keep this one short:

In a nutshell, keyboard buttons only know pressed or not pressed. But thumbsticks of gamepads know several thousand conditions which SHOULD basically allow far smoother controls, as it makes it possible to e.g. only turn a little.

Now I have the question... GTA V for PC will definitely come with xbox one gamepad support. In theory, as long as it only comes down to racing, won't you be far better off with a gamepad?

Will they separate gamepad users from keyboard users (as they did separate free aim from auto aim)?

Keyboard is to Gamepad as Gamepad is to Wheel & Pedals

Edited by Wildfire_08

I hope that the player base isn't split, hopefully there isn't any auto aim as well since the game will be playable with a mouse and keyboard.

Doesn't matter. Bitch asses that can't race fair still ram you off the road anyways...

• Like 2

PoopyThomas

If I decide to buy GTA V for PC, I would use a controller, driving was horrible with a keyboard. I read somewhere there's software to use a PS4 controller as a controller for PC instead of XBONE/360 but I think it might have to be purchased.

ninjaontour

Controller in lap for when on foot, wheel and pedals for when driving.

Have you tried wheels and pedals on GTA? I had to pimp slap my fanatec 90 degrees before the wheels started moving.

I would like both,most slow class races don't really need variable speed controllers as they aren't easy to spin out

Wildfire_08

Have you tried wheels and pedals on GTA? I had to pimp slap my fanatec 90 degrees before the wheels started moving.

With most wheels you can calibrate the steering angle for different games.

I know thats how it was when I used to have my G27

Edited by Wildfire_08

In theory, game controllers should be better because they have a continuous control range. But the huge dead zone in the controllers screws up both throttle and steering (and aiming), so they are essentially just functioning as bang-bang controllers, like keyboard keys. Such a shame. :angry::angry::angry:

In theory, game controllers should be better because they have a continuous control range. But the huge dead zone in the controllers screws up both throttle and steering (and aiming), so they are essentially just functioning as bang-bang controllers, like keyboard keys. Such a shame. :angry::angry::angry:

If your dead zones are THAT bad, you either have a faulty controller or just a worn down one and it's time to get a new one.

DJ Kornphlake

Keyboards aren't meant for gaming. End of story.

Not this type of game, but it's ignorant to say they aren't for any game.

They aren't. Controllers will always be better.

rsz_tupacpct202pacpct20therepct20arepct2

DJ Kornphlake

Try playing WoW with a controller.

• Like 2

Try playing WoW with a controller.

WOW isn't a game. It's something made to ruin your life and make you poor.

rsz_tupacpct202pacpct20therepct20arepct2

BondageKitty

You never play a Racing game on PC without a racewheel or game pad. It is a silly idea.

yCNdzif.gif1029527.pngsYr3sqP.gif

TheGoodSgtScooter

You never play a Racing game on PC without a racewheel or game pad. It is a silly idea.

I learned that the hard way.

Why would you race with a keyboard, might as well end it now..

Its bad enough with a controller. But gta v is so good I still haven't played much GT 6 and my wheel is dusty in the corner.

Edited by elfoam

BondageKitty

Did GTA IV even support race wheel? Seems very unpractical to be switching race wheel/mouse and keyboard/game pad every time you enter or exit a car. Wouldn't even be possible to shoot while driving.

Edited by BondageKitty

yCNdzif.gif1029527.pngsYr3sqP.gif

Did GTA IV even support race wheel? Seems very unpractical to be switching race wheel/mouse and keyboard/game pad every time you enter or exit a car. Wouldn't even be possible to shoot while driving.

not sure, but its not possible to shoot and drive at the same time with any degree of accuracy with a controller either so its unlikely to matter much, haha! Most likely the mouse would be utilized simultaneously to provide better control when driving and shooting.

WOW isn't a game. It's something made to ruin your life and make you poor.

:^: Good insight.

The GTA series is doing a pretty good job of ruining my life, however. :dontgetit:

EDIT: has any wheel ever worked with GTA? I didn't think wheels are supported. Why would they be, just because half the time in game is spent driving and racing? :p

Edited by saintsrow

UnicornAssassin

Yeah I bet Civlization V is just f*cking great with a gamepad, huh?

• Like 2

Keyboard forever.

Just tap to make slight adjustments and problem solved.... works for all the NFS games on PC.

The only people who think this affects anyone must be the same people who drive full speed all the time and crash into everything.

And mouses...thank god for mouses.

Tell that to any serious FPS, RTS and RPG....

I'm just going for a drive to the corner store, tapping keys... No thanks.

You've never played with a keyboard if you think tapping is how you move around all the time...

Edited by Xyn
  • Like 2
6IBTBOM.png

Game pad is waaaaaaaaaaaay better.

I can't explain how horrible GTA IV was on a keyboard

I remember how horrible it way doing the last mission in the game trying to chase a boat in a helicopter.

:panic:

I don't see why they would separate the two.

Edited by ARCTICvnc