GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Forced weapons.....Is it really fair to low levels?

Kazandra

I've noticed after one of the updates that most deathmatches are forced plus pickups.

My question is: Do you really think it is better for low level players?

In my opinion it really isn't. High level players still know the stages better and will pick up the good weapons before anyone else gets the chance.

I've also noticed that low-levels tend to stick with the forced weapon, even if it's only a pistol or combat pistol, and will just get chopped to meat by the high levels with either superior weapons they picked-up....or nailed by headshots because they really haven't got the combat mechanics down fully.

I think owned weapons are the way to go. Of course...I'm level 155, and I have access to the rpg and minigun, but I find the silenced carbine or special carbine to be my go-to weapon.

Once a player gets used to using his/her "go-to" weapon, they usually do much better in a deathmatch where that particular weapon is forced.

Also, I have seen low-level lobby leaders keep the deathmatch the way it is too many times, because they think the forced weapon give them the advantage.

Then they leave after the first deathmatch is over because they got pwnd.

Am I wrong to think that even lower level people would be better off using a weapon they are used to, rather than a stupid forced weapon?

Yes, you are wrong. No offense, but you (as in lvl120+) having access to top-tier weaponry does give you an undeniabale adavantage. Heck, my main's nearly 160 and I still turn every match I host to forced + pickups or it turns into an RPG/autoshotty spam-fest that ruins any semblance of balance.

Edited by gbrown100

Fluffy Apple

Low level players can do their low level deathmatches but i was never one for those lame game types anyway, i've only ever done 1 death match and i was lvl 1 when it happened. but it would be unfair putting low lvl with high lvl. rockstar good enough thinking on that one.

• Like 2

God yeah it's fair. If it wasn't for that, the low levels will get absolutely decimated by miniguns, RPG's, etc.

Yes, you are wrong. No offense, but you (as in lvl120+) having access to top-tier weaponry does give you an undeniabale adavantage. Heck, my main's nearly 160 and I still turn every match I host to forced + pickups or it turns into an RPG/autoshotty spam-fest that ruins any semblance of balance.

But....as a high level player myself, I don't use the rpg because it's a huge waste of money.

The minigun has a huge disadvantage too. (You can't sneak or take cover). I've laid waste to minigun spammers in deathmatches.

It's just like that one mission....shotgun wedding I think it's called....The minigun only spawns on one side of the map. That means one person will pick it up, usually a high level, and NO ONE else on the other side gets the same advantage.

Once you hit level 25 everyone has access to the assault rifle. That is the go-to weapon in this game. Despite what many players think, if you sneak around and use an assault rifle (any type) you can take down anyone with a minigun or MG.

I just think that forced weapons should be forced only...with no pick ups. One person will always have more of an advantage than anyone in the deathmatch when he/she picks up the only minigun spawn in the stage.

At least when I was low level I could use an AK or MP5 and not have to worry about only having a stupid combat pistol when someone on the other team picks up a military sniper or minigun. That's all I'm saying.

Edited by Kazandra

Yes, it is better for the lower level players to start with forced weapons.

It puts everyone at equal starts and gives players a chance to obtain the better, on-map, weapons.

It makes for a much better meta-game within the death match and i'm pretty sure low level players do not want to be getting RPG'd and Mini-gunned when all they have is an Uzi.

Edited by Ninjambie

Killzone3265

the only thing bad about it is that high levels will still have higher health, they just need to have a set health limit for deathmatches, or at least an option to change it

It puts everyone at equal starts and gives players a chance to obtain the better, on-map, weapons.

It makes for a much better meta-game within the death match and i'm pretty sure low level players do not want to be getting RPG'd and Mini-gunned when all they have is an Uzi.

But they still will be...

If I know where the minigun, assault rifles or rpg spawns....and they don't....they will still be at a disadvantage.

I haven't ever really done any worse against low-levels in forced weapon matches than owned. That is what I'm getting at. I don't think it gives them an advantage if they are level 25 and you take away every weapon they have but a pistol.

Grenades are just cheap in this game....and they should be. Having no kind of explosive weapon from the start means that whoever picks up a power weapon will dominate.

Ronald Burgundy

Interesting assessment. C'mon, most of the folks that do DM's that are high level seem to really care about K/D ratio, cost of ammo means nothing. I'm a high level, and I prefer forced for that exact reason, a bunch of idiots launching grenades and RPG's everywhere is hardly fun imo.

Uh, yes? You seem to be agreeing with me in that "owned" weapons is unfair to low levels.

Yes, I am.

At first I misunderstood what you meant and had to do an edit.

But yeah, Forced is the way to go when you're dealing with low level players. Like I said, it puts everyone at an equal start and gives everyone a chance to obtain the better weapons. This makes for better game play IMO.

It doesn't completely level the playing field of course, but it reduces the disadvantage somewhat.

Interesting assessment. C'mon, most of the folks that do DM's that are high level seem to really care about K/D ratio, cost of ammo means nothing. I'm a high level, and I prefer forced for that exact reason, a bunch of idiots launching grenades and RPG's everywhere is hardly fun imo.

I've been in hundreds of DMS and I rarely see people spamming RPGs. If they do it is either at the very beginning of the DM when they know where the people are going to be coming from....or at the very end when they are getting desperate.

Edited by Kazandra

If I know where the minigun, assault rifles or rpg spawns....and they don't....they will still be at a disadvantage.

I haven't ever really done any worse against low-levels in forced weapon matches than owned. That is what I'm getting at. I don't think it gives them an advantage if they are level 25 and you take away every weapon they have but a pistol.

Grenades are just cheap in this game....and they should be. Having no kind of explosive weapon from the start means that whoever picks up a power weapon will dominate.

Wait, is everyone playing with the radar off in your sessions? Just saying that everyone has a general idea about where the weapons are, they show up on the mini map.

You're right, it doesn't give them an advantage, but it does put them on equal footing with you at the beginning of the match. Now whether they can get to and control weapon spawns is on them.

You can have a power weapon all you want. A well placed, maybe even lucky, head shot is more powerful than a power weapon.

Wait, is everyone playing with the radar off in your sessions? Just saying that everyone has a general idea about where the weapons are, they show up on the mini map.

You're right, it doesn't give them an advantage, but it does put them on equal footing with you at the beginning of the match. Now whether they can get to and control weapon spawns is on them.

You can have a power weapon all you want. A well placed, maybe even lucky, head shot is more powerful than a power weapon.

True. But who knows how to deal with power weapon spammers better than high level players. Low levels still get owned. Forced weapons only help when everyone in the lobby is low level, imo.

True. But who knows how to deal with power weapon spammers better than high level players. Low levels still get owned. Forced weapons only help when everyone in the lobby is low level, imo.

This is also true, but not every low level is a noob ;)

I use to get players thinking that all the time when I played as my low level character. I purposely kept him a low level for that same reason.

Edited by Ninjambie

TeammateHelper

Weird. Seems like Uncharted forums for this thread.

Forced weapon pick-ups remove level-based gun advantage for high-ranks. I mean look at your own post. You're going to use a carbine against a low-level player. What's he gonna do, blindfire the pistol and hope he gets one in before you pubstomp them to oblivion?

Weird. Seems like Uncharted forums for this thread.

Forced weapon pick-ups remove level-based gun advantage for high-ranks. I mean look at your own post. You're going to use a carbine against a low-level player. What's he gonna do, blindfire the pistol and hope he gets one in before you pubstomp them to oblivion?

No. You don't get it. If I am forced to use a pistol so is he/she. I know where the pick-ups are. He/she does not. Not necessarily. Even if they do they are not used to using that type of weapon. The effective range....how easy and quick it can put someone down...etc.

At least with the weapons they OWN they are familiar with how powerful they are and their effective use in combat. I am.

Once you take away a newb's MP5 or AK they will not be nearly as effective, even when the other guy is using a pistol too.

Like I said before....I haven't noticed any low-level player doing better because of a forced weapons lobby, in the hundreds of deathmatches I've played.....ever.

It doesn't help them and in fact I think it forces them to play against people who are better than them with the SAME type of weapon.

I'm not trying to be a troll or deny that taking my power weapons away helps low level people....but taking all their weapons away and forcing them to play against people who are better than them with those same weapons does not help them either.

I have not seen any kind of difference in DMs since this change was made. The low-levels still get hosed because the high levels know the weapons/stages better.

Taking away their weapons is like taking away all the load-outs in CoD for everyone. The veteran players do not suffer any kind of disadvantage.

Edited by Kazandra

YirbyBond00Y

What Kazandra is saying is true, except my iteration of a deathmatch is getting immediately kicked from a forced + pickups deathmatch lobby with levels under 40 when I'm 291....even though they know that I don't have all my super weapons, they still didn't have the confidence to believe they could beat me.

Edited by YirbyBond00Y

What Kazandra is saying is true, except my iteration of a deathmatch is getting immediately kicked from a forced + pickups deathmatch with levels under 40 when I'm 291....

That's when you send those douches a message like: "Just invite people of the same experience level as you!"

or: "Quit wasting my xbl gold time!"

or.....my personal favorite: "You just missed the chance to get your ass kicked!"

YirbyBond00Y

What Kazandra is saying is true, except my iteration of a deathmatch is getting immediately kicked from a forced + pickups deathmatch with levels under 40 when I'm 291....

That's when you send those douches a message like: "Just invite people of the same experience level as you!"

or.....my personal favorite: "You just missed the chance to get your ass kicked!"

I'm a PS3 user, but maybe I can use that to screw them up....

Most of the time, I understand getting kicked from deathmatch lobbies, but when it comes to race lobbies/deathmatch lobbies where they are all of the same skill level as I am....

"Why did you have matchmaking open in the first place?!"

Edited by YirbyBond00Y

Most of the time, I understand getting kicked from deathmatch lobbies, but when it comes to race lobbies/deathmatch lobbies where they are all of the same skill level as I am....

My favorite is getting kicked from poopy stained missions like Coveted or Rooftop Rumble.

I guess ppl don't realize that you can close a lobby....either that or they fail to recognize my greatness. lol

No. You don't get it. If I am forced to use a pistol so is he/she. I know where the pick-ups are. He/she dose not. Not necessarily. Even if they do they are not use to using that type of weapon. The effective range....how easy and quick it can put someone down...etc.

At least with the weapons they OWN they are familiar with how powerful they are and their effective use in combat. I am.

Once you take away a newb's MP5 or AK they will not be nearly as effective, even when the other guy is using a pistol too.

Like I said before....I haven't noticed any low-level player doing better because of a forced weapons lobby, in the hundreds of deathmatches I've played.....ever.

It doesn't help them and in fact I think it forces them to play against people who are better than them with the SAME type of weapon.

I'm not trying to be a troll or deny that taking my power weapons away helps low level people....but taking all their weapons away and forcing them to play against people who are better than them with those same weapons does not help them either.

I have not seen any kind of difference in DMs since this change was made. The low-levels still get hosed because the high levels know the weapons/stages better.

Taking away their weapons is like taking away all the load-outs in CoD for everyone. The veteran players do not suffer any kind of disadvantage.

OK, now I fully understand what you're getting at.

Everyone is a noob at some point. The only way to get better is with practice and experience.

This isn't really the Forced Weapons option fault. It's the match making system's. If this game had any kind of real true-skill match making, matches wouldn't be like this. You would be getting matched with players on or around your skill level.

Yeah, there's the option to invite players of similar skilled, but all that does is cause longer waiting times in the lobby. Forcing you to close and reopen the lobby every 55-60 seconds.

I still believe Forced is better. Equal starts is always better. Even if the noobs do get stomped, at least they had a chance in the beginning.

YirbyBond00Y

My favorite is getting kicked from poopy stained missions like Coveted or Rooftop Rumble.

I guess ppl don't realize that you can close a lobby....either that or they fail to recognize my greatness. lol

My favourite lobbies are the ones where the host has a mike on, and is ordering me to get out of the lobby....If I don't heed his words, he sends me off with a few insults before kicking me...The most common ones I hear is "f***ing Kirby f*ggot" and "****ing hacker".

I've noticed after one of the updates that most deathmatches are forced plus pickups.

In my opinion it really isn't. High level players still know the stages better and will pick up the good weapons before anyone else gets the chance.

I've also noticed that low-levels tend to stick with the forced weapon, even if it's only a pistol or combat pistol, and will just get chopped to meat by the high levels with either superior weapons they picked-up....or nailed by headshots because they really haven't got the combat mechanics down fully.

I think owned weapons are the way to go. Of course...I'm level 155, and I have access to the rpg and minigun, but I find the silenced carbine or special carbine to be my go-to weapon.

Once a player gets used to using his/her "go-to" weapon, they usually do much better in a deathmatch where that particular weapon is forced.

Also, I have seen low-level lobby leaders keep the deathmatch the way it is too many times, because they think the forced weapon give them the advantage.

Am I wrong to think that even lower level people would be better off using a weapon they are used to, rather than a stupid forced weapon?

I think noobs benefit from the special carbine and that helps them against the carbine. The only weapons noobs lack is the RPG.

I agree with what you said about getting comfortable with a certain weapon. This is why I couldn't understand why people are upset at some of the new stuff unlocking for level 100 folk. I recall when I first began playing online and I wanted the Carbine rifle but I had to wait until Rank 42 to unlock it.

That was a grind and a half back in October-November for me. Sure I wanted it right away but I had to earn it.

Forced weapons are a nice change of pace for everyone. Kind of like an equalizer at times. I find it to be unfair more for us higher levels who have assorted weaponry but cannot use it.

My favourite lobbies are the ones where the host has a mike on, and is ordering me to get out of the lobby....If I don't heed his words, he sends me off with a few insults before kicking me...The most common ones I hear is "f***ing Kirby f*ggot" and "****ing hacker".

but.....Kirby rules!

f*ck those ppl

YirbyBond00Y

but.....Kirby rules!

f*ck those ppl

I agree.....I mean come on now, with a username like mine, pulling the hacker card on me? Seriously?

I think noobs benefit from the special carbine and that helps them against the carbine. The only weapons noobs lack is the RPG.

I agree with what you said about getting comfortable with a certain weapon. This is why I couldn't understand why people are upset at some of the new stuff unlocking for level 100 folk. I recall when I first began playing online and I wanted the Carbine rifle but I had to wait until Rank 42 to unlock it.

That was a grind and a half back in October-November for me. Sure I wanted it right away but I had to earn it.

Forced weapons are a nice change of pace for everyone. Kind of like an equalizer at times. I find it to be unfair more for us higher levels who have assorted weaponry but cannot use it.

Personally I use the silenced carbine and the unsilenced special carbine.

Most of the time the silenced carbine is the way to go for me....because newbs and veterans alike don't know where it's coming from. This helps my point.....

If I sneak around on the outskirts of a stage and pick people off even behind cover while sneaking....what the hell are they going to do?

It doesn't matter if they have a pistol or an rpg.

Most people don't even know you can call Lester and reveal all enemy players on the map in every deathmatch. That is a huge advantage to anyone who knows how to use stealth....and a detriment to newbs who do not know that you can do this.

I get how making the lobbies forced evens the playing field as far as FIRE POWER goes.....

But can you really fight a level 100 who knows what he/she is doing without some kind of luck?

No. Changing the lobbies to forced only helps me out. Thanks Rockstar, for giving everyone a pistol in every stage when I can sneak around from behind and obliterate the whole enemy team.........

YirbyBond00Y

Most of the time the silenced carbine is the way to go for me....because newbs and veterans alike don't know where it's coming from. This helps my point.....

If I sneak around on the outskirts of a stage and pick people off even behind cover while sneaking....what the hell are they going to do?

Most people don't even know you can call Lester and reveal all enemy players on the map in every deathmatch. That is a huge advantage to anyone who knows how to use stealth....and a detriment to newbs who do not know that you can do this.

I get how making the lobbies forced evens the playing field as far as FIRE POWER goes.....

But can you really fight a level 100 who knows what he/she is doing without some kind of luck?

No. Changing the lobbies to forced only helps me out. Thanks Rockstar, for giving everyone a pistol in every stage when I can sneak around from behind and obliterate the whole enemy team.........

I don't think anyone has ever mentioned it in other threads of the past, but with the addition of blips on the map as soon as you see enemy players, deathmatches have been turned into who has the best connection/reaction time contests...

Edited by YirbyBond00Y

I don't think anyone has ever mentioned it in other threads of the past, but with the addition of blips on the map as soon as you see enemy players, deathmatches have been turned into who has the best connection/reaction time contests...

Very true. Connection is also an issue.

I suggest if you have a bad connection to press start and find a new session....lest your K/D suffer an undeserved hit.