1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Del boy

Were any of you surprised when there was no mafia?

Official General

@ Masterfocker

I'm sure Lucchese can defend himself, he don't need you to hold his hand. My comment was directed specifically at him and not you or anyone else, so I feel no need to give you a proper response. Kindly stay out of it, thank you.

Geralt of Rivia

Oh, but OG, I'm just expressing my opinion! You should know what I'm talking about! I mean, this is a forum...

Coral_City: I...Don't see how. At all, really.

Is it racist to not like gangs or something?

Edited by TheMasterfocker

AzelfandQuilava

I'm amazed the Families and the Ballas didn't have that much screen time considering that most of us thought that Franklin was more involved with the Families.

Official General

Oh, but OG, I'm just expressing my opinion! You should know what I'm talking about! I mean, this is a forum...

You're right it's a forum and I've expressed my opinion by making that request. Whether you listen or not is up you. But one thing is for certain, you're not getting a proper response from me, case closed.

EDIT : There is one thing I will say. What I really meant was that I don't remember the thread bring about personal preferences of which gangs featured in the game (in this case, street gangs). That was the point of me making that comment to Lucchese.

Edited by Official General

Coral_City

It's one thing to say, "you know, I really don't like street gangs" and it's another to say "I can't help but feel that adding Franklin as a protagonist and including some missions revolving around that world was simply a move of throwing a bone to the San Andreas/CJ kids"

C'mon, we all know what Luchesse's insinuating... ALSO "We already had a GTA game dedicated to all of that gangbanger crap." -- little does he realize, that literally every GTA had some old white man Italian presence. I'm tired of that mob/mafia sh*t. It's f*cking boring.

A.O.D.88

The Mafia, Mexican Cartels, Hood Gang members all seemed to take a back seat to the whole corrupt Govt. agencies and merryweather theme.

There was also a MASSIVE disconnect between what the fans expected Franklin's character to be and what Rockstar actually wrote him to be. I mean the fans all wanted him to be like Sweet Johnson from San Andreas whereas Rockstar wrote him in as basically Michael's apprentice.

Edited by A.O.D.88

Method

California is pretty much just drug pins and Cartels rather than mafias.

Exactly this.

More of a personal let down rather than a defeat for the game.

universetwisters

ALSO "We already had a GTA game dedicated to all of that gangbanger crap." -- little does he realize, that literally every GTA had some old white man Italian presence. I'm tired of that mob/mafia sh*t. It's f*cking boring.

The last few games that came out (counting DLCs) took place in Liberty City, which had a much bigger mafia presence than gangbangers. The same can be said about III-era Liberty City and Vice City.

TheMcSame

Aren't those Asians that try to kill you in North Yankton part of a mafia?

Edit:

Just had a quick look around and found that those Asian guys are Wei Cheng's henchmen.

For those that don't know Wei Cheng leads the Los Santos Triad crime syndicate. So that means there is a mafia in GTA V which makes this whole thread somewhat pointless.

Edited by TheMcSame

universetwisters

Aren't those Asians that try to kill you in North Yankton part of a mafia?

They're Triads. It's kinda like a Chinese Mafia.

Officer Ronson

Sorry to dissapoint you but those guys are not mafia associates, they're bussiness men. To be more specific Bussiness_03.

Official General
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2014 at 9:49 PM, Coral_City said:

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2014 at 9:16 PM, TheMasterfocker said:

I cannot say for sure if Lucheese is racist, so I won't make a conclusive judgement on that. He'll certainly be annoyed you have accused him of being one. But he sure don't help himself when looking at his well-documented and long forum history of heavy criticism and dislike directed toward the presence of black street gangs, ghetto culture, and hip hop in GTA. If people label him a racist, it's because he brings it on himself and fuels the accusations with the way he stupidly expresses his comments, so I'm not really surprised. Despite the fact that SA was the ONE and ONLY GTA to focus on the black gangsta scene, despite the fact that GTA V had not one, but TWO white protagonists out of three, and the one black protagonist Franklin and his gang background STILL played a very minor role - but yet he still continues to forever b*tch about "that gangbangin' crap", "SA/CJ fanboys and kids" and how black ghetto culture and hip hop makes him cringe. I've never once heard him criticise any other crime group theme in GTA apart from the black ones. This thread just goes to show his mentality - it was initially about the Mafia's inclusion in V, and he still somehow miraculously manages to steer his way into a discussion about how he's had enough of seeing black gangs in GTA.

The guy certainly don't help himself at all.

@ The McSame

The Triads are similar in structure to the Mafia, but they are not the actual Mafia, so what do you mean "this thread is pointless" ?? The term 'mafia' can be a generic term used to describe any prominent organized crime group, regardless of ethnicity, like Triads too, but in this thread we are clearly talking about the Italian-American Mafia here, not any mafia.

Delta India Echo

Sorry to dissapoint you but those guys are not mafia associates, they're bussiness men. To be more specific Bussiness_03.

GTA Wikia going full retard daily, I shouldn't really be surprised that the picture had nothing to do with the Bonelli fellas. After all, they did remind me of that Vapid CTO in the one of the Assassination missions.

I should really stop my obsession with that cesspit.

Edited by Delta India Echo

bish0p2004

It's one thing to say, "you know, I really don't like street gangs" and it's another to say "I can't help but feel that adding Franklin as a protagonist and including some missions revolving around that world was simply a move of throwing a bone to the San Andreas/CJ kids"

C'mon, we all know what Luchesse's insinuating... ALSO "We already had a we GTA game dedicated to all of that gangbanger crap." -- little does he realize, that literally every GTA had some old white man Italian presence. I'm tired of that mob/mafia sh*t. It's f*cking boring.

I cannot say for sure if Lucheese is racist, so I won't make a conclusive judgement on that. He'll certainly be annoyed you have accused him of being one. But he sure don't help himself when looking at his well-documented and long forum history of heavy criticism and dislike directed at toward the presence of black street gangs, ghetto culture, and hip hop in GTA. If people label him a racist, it's because he brings it on himself and fuels the accusations with the way he stupidly expresses his comments, so I'm not really surprised. Despite the fact that SA was the ONE and ONLY GTA to focus on the black gangsta scene, despite the fact that GTA V had not one, but TWO white protagonists out of three, and the one black protagonist Franklin and his gang background played a very minor role - but yet he still continues to forever b*tch about "that gangbangin' crap", "SA/CJ fanboys and kids" and how black ghetto culture and hip hop makes him cringe. I've never once heard him criticise any other crime group theme in GTA apart from the black ones. This thread just goes to show it - it was initially about the Mafia's inclusion in V, and he still somehow miraculously manages to steer his way into a discussion about how he's had enough of seeing black gangs in GTA.

The guy certainly don't help himself at all .

This is pretty much what I figured. Based on his posts, I assumed he was the same poster as the guy who had Edward Norton (when he played a skinhead) as his Avatar. I think the name was I Love Niko or something.

I'm guessing he's either a racist or a troll.

ddyoung

I wasn't really surprised because there isn't a large Italian community in LA. However, when the mission with Rocco Pelosi came, I was surprised that they didn't build on it. They should turn that into a DLC.

John Smith

As others have alluded to, the mob doesn't have much influence in California. But you know what Cali does have? Banks and government corruption. If only V had been about robbing banks and government corruption.

I'm surprised that we didn't get more gang/cartel related crime.

Because the focus of V was never about that stuff. I can't help but feel that adding Franklin as a protagonist and including some missions revolving around that world was simply a move of throwing a bone to the San Andreas/CJ kids, and it was more than enough. In fact, I also can't help but feel if Franklin wasn't added, we may have had a more in depth narrative between Michael and Trevor; but hey-ho, I'm not too bothered about that, and I actually liked Franklin more than I initially thought I would.

We already had a GTA game dedicated to all of that gangbanger crap. Move on.

Racist f*ckhead

Could you ellaborate on how he is a "racist f*ckhead"? We did already have a gangbanger GTA game, no need to beat a dead horse.

Speaking of the mob, there is one in GTA 5 called the Bonelli Mob, but they show up for just one assassination mission. There was also that mob boss' daughter you could save from being buried alive around Paleto Bay, too.

It's not the first time I've been labelled a "racist" on this forum simply because i despise the gangbanger culture, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Apparently, as ridiculous as it sounds, to some on here, those low-life thug scumbags are representative of American black people as a whole, so I shouldn't judge. Our equivalent in the UK are what we call "Chavs"- who are predominantly white- and I despise them in equal measure; so I guess I'm racist against white people too...

And for the record, I find it deeply offensive that my name is being associated with racism.

I've said it before many times on here, and I'll say it again: I'd love a Frank Lucas (a real life black gangster) type protag in the GTA series, because it strays away from the stereotypical dumb hood-rat type of criminal that is so often afforded black protagonists in games/movies. It would be something new to the series which is what I look for in keeping the GTA franchise fresh.

Raptomex

I love Houser writing and was a little surprised the mob wasn't involved. Trying new things I suppose. Though, how big is the mob presence in LA these days anyway?

Ss4gogeta0

As others have alluded to, the mob doesn't have much influence in California. But you know what Cali does have? Banks and government corruption. If only V had been about robbing banks and government corruption.

Because the focus of V was never about that stuff. I can't help but feel that adding Franklin as a protagonist and including some missions revolving around that world was simply a move of throwing a bone to the San Andreas/CJ kids, and it was more than enough. In fact, I also can't help but feel if Franklin wasn't added, we may have had a more in depth narrative between Michael and Trevor; but hey-ho, I'm not too bothered about that, and I actually liked Franklin more than I initially thought I would.

Racist f*ckhead

Could you ellaborate on how he is a "racist f*ckhead"? We did already have a gangbanger GTA game, no need to beat a dead horse.

Speaking of the mob, there is one in GTA 5 called the Bonelli Mob, but they show up for just one assassination mission. There was also that mob boss' daughter you could save from being buried alive around Paleto Bay, too.

It's not the first time I've been labelled a "racist" on this forum simply because i despise the gangbanger culture, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Apparently, as ridiculous as it sounds, to some on here, those low-life thug scumbags are representative of American black people as a whole, so I shouldn't judge. Our equivalent in the UK are what we call "Chavs"- who are predominantly white- and I despise them in equal measure; so I guess I'm racist against white people too...

And for the record, I find it deeply offensive that my name is being associated with racism.

I've said it before many times on here, and I'll say it again: I'd love a Frank Lucas (a real life black gangster) type protag in the GTA series, because it strays away from the stereotypical dumb hood-rat type of criminal that is so often afforded black protagonists in games/movies. It would be something new to the series which is what I look for in keeping the GTA franchise fresh.

Gang Banging started with mexicans....

you honestly dont understand the culture as a whole and follow the medias interpretation of it...

This will hopefully enlighten you to what that life is really like... its not all gold grills and nigga nigga nigga... also this is not Hip Hop... Hip Hop is the black version of Pop music... This is considered "Gangster Rap"

also I find it funny how you singlehandedly target african americans... Totally racist...

I love Houser writing and was a little surprised the mob wasn't involved. Trying new things I suppose. Though, how big is the mob presence in LA these days anyway?

non existent... anywhere in cali.... If you want white mafias in cali... look for european dudes like russians or whatever

GN 92

I couldn't stand Ray, Pegorinos and all that f*cking scum in IV.

But the GTA III and VC mob was awesome.

John Smith
also I find it funny how you singlehandedly target african americans... Totally racist...

I didn't "singlehandedly target african americans"...I targeted low-life street thugs - black/white/purple/burgundy. But thanks for proving my point that you are associating African-Americans with crime; who's the real bigot here? Also, did I not just disclose that I find white chavs equally despicable?

Disclosure for the mods: I realise this is getting off topic, but I take accusations of racism severely seriously.

Edited by Lucchese

bish0p2004

I didn't "singlehandedly target african americans"...I targeted low-life street thugs - black/white/purple/burgundy. But thanks for proving my point that you are associating African-Americans with crime; who's the real bigot here? Also, did I not just disclose that I find white chavs equally despicable?

Disclosure for the mods: I realise this is getting off topic, but I take accusations of racism severely seriously.

Lol...yeah. More like you like the attention.

Anyways, as far as I can tell, you don't understand what people want when it comes to gangbanging in GTA. Even more, just because people want this in the game doesn't mean that they want it to be the focus, or they love the culture. I hate the culture myself irl (I don't even like music that much)....just as I hate mafia thugs.

Still, I like for them to be represented in the game as they are a lot of fun to mess with and they just add grittiness to the game.

universetwisters

you honestly dont understand the culture as a whole and follow the medias interpretation of it...

This will hopefully enlighten you to what that life is really like... its not all gold grills and nigga nigga nigga... also this is not Hip Hop... Hip Hop is the black version of Pop music... This is considered "Gangster Rap"

I think there's a difference between a gangbanger lifestyle and music associated with it.

GN 92

This image popped in my mind:

Lamar and Franklin, inside the Buffalo mk2, listening to Cruisin'.

That'd be f*cking weird.

Capricornus

Given the setting, I was not surprised. However, I will admit that I do like to see them in GTA. If done well I never get tired of it.

I was a bit dissapointed that R* didn't focus more on the Drug Cartel and what not. Then again they could have layed off of some of the FIB stuff.

VanillaIce

i Wanted to see a gay Mafia led by Gay Tony.

im_stoned

you all seem to be missing the point...

The mafia has a code of ethics they follow. So it stands to reason they would stay out of soulless la in real life. Why do you think they love New York so much ?

Same reason I hate la in real life it's nothing more than a cancer that's spread and killed society. f*ck L.A and everything it stands for gta v did get that soulless vibe right in V I will admit that which is why I don't want to play it. :(

Official General

You see, there are a number of problems here with the way you think regarding this particular subject, and this is what can lead people to believe you are possibly racist or racially biased.

* The ghetto and black gangsta culture is not symbolic of all African-American social and urban culture, we don't need you to tell us or educate us on that. Furthermore, I don't think most of us are that interested, as it's not really relevant to the GTA experience. We just wanna see enough of that stuff in the game to provide us with exciting and explosive crime action - along with other ethnic organized crime elements to add to the variety. It was advertised to be in V in a significant way, and it disappointingly it was not. I don't know why that bothers you so much that people are disappointed with that fact.

* The difference here is that the UK equivalent called "chavs" are not featured in GTA games (as GTA is set in the USA), so therefore we have no real way of knowing that you would have expressed a similarly extreme dislike and criticism of white chav culture. Chavs are not even a proper gang like the Crips or Bloods in the States - in fact chavs cannot even be described as a gang at all, so really, stating this is totally pointless. To add to that, many, if not most people on here are not British, so they would not even know what a chav is.

* You said this :

I've said it before many times on here, and I'll say it again: I'd love a Frank Lucas (a real life black gangster) type protag in the GTA series, because it strays away from the stereotypical dumb hood-rat type of criminal that is so often afforded black protagonists in games/movies

First of all, Frank Lucas was a product of the burgeoning heroin drug trade in Harlem in the 1970s, a long bygone era of African-American organized crime, there will be no character like him in future GTA games. Anyway, pretty much all forms of African-American organized crime has always been heavily rooted in street culture of the ghetto or hood, this was even the case for guys like Frank Lucas and Leroy Nicky Barnes back in the 1970s, Harlem back then would have been still considered to be the hood - so your point is moot. All major African-American criminal organizations started off as a bunch of "stereotypical dumb hood-rat types" that you have just described and they came straight from the hood or ghetto. In the 1980s, it was guys like Kenneth McGriff, Fat Cat Nichols of the Supreme Team in Queens, Azee Faison, Rich Porter, Alpo Martinez from Harlem, Rayful Edmond of Washington DC, the Chambers Brothers and Best Friends gang of Detroit. In the 1990s, it was guys like Larry Hoover of the Gangster Disciples in Chicago, Demetrius and Terry Flenory from the BMF in Detroit, and Pistol Pete Rollock of the SMM in the Bronx. All these guys I have mentioned were once very wealthy and powerful gang leaders and their black criminal organizations made hundreds of millions of dollars a year in drug sales. All of these same guys came from the hood or ghetto, they grew up there and created their criminal organizations from within it. Since the 2000s, many more "dumb black hoodrat guys" have gone on to emulate them and become very rich and powerful gang leaders. You're trying to separate the hood/ghetto element from African-American organized crime just because you now hate and despise all that stuff, but you cannot do that, because the two go hand-in-hand. You can't just decide how this stuff should be, it is what it is. When you keep downplaying the hood and black gangsta culture without even properly researching and knowing about the details of it, some people who are better informed will be begin to suspect that you have certain shady motives for it, because nothing else makes sense. The thing here, is that it is not quite clear why you always seem to target African-American gangs for criticism or dislike, when they are really no different in principle to other ethnic organized crime groups in what they do. I don't care or want to know about your personal dislike for hip hop music, black ghetto culture or fashion, as it's not a proper explanation as to why you despise African-American street gangs - that stuff does not define who they are in terms of organized crime,. Organized crime is organized crime, I don't really see what there is to specifically hate, it's all bad at the end of the day.

I don't want this thread to be derailed and locked because of a stupid debate about racism. it's a very interesting thread too. We wanna talk GTA, not race relations. I'd like to believe you are not racist (I don't think you are, despite our clashes), but if you wanna really convince us that is not the case, you gotta lay off the constant, publicly targeted criticisms and hatred of anything to with black/African-American gangs and the hood, SA, CJ, hip hop etc. If not, people will take note and come to their own conclusions about you and offend you in the process by accusing you of stuff like racism. Unfortunately, it's happened here, so a word of advice, just ease off all of that.

That's all I'm gonna say to you about that.

golf wang

Racist f*ckhead

Why is it that you hate gang banger culture so much yet you would love a criminal like Frank Lucas? Honestly, GTA is a game based on crime, and all crime is bad. What's the reason for hating one type crime more than another? In the end, it's all crime, so it's all bad. I would like to add that I don't believe you're racist, I just find it strange that you have such a strong dislike toward a certain demographic of crime. All crime is harmful, it doesn't matter in what "style" it's done in, it's still crime.

Edited by golf wang

Official General

you all seem to be missing the point...

The mafia has a code of ethics they follow. So it stands to reason they would stay out of soulless la in real life. Why do you think they love New York so much ?

Same reason I hate la in real life it's nothing more than a cancer that's spread and killed society. f*ck L.A and everything it stands for gta v did get that soulless vibe right in V I will admit that which is why I don't want to play it. :(

I get you hate LA, but your analysis is wrong. The Mafia are strong in New York City, because NYC has a history of massive waves of Italian immigration, it's still a place where huge numbers of American people of Italian descent still reside, and more importantly, it's the place where the Italian American Mafia first began it's existence . It's not so much about the Mafia loving NYC, it's the more to do with the fact that it's always been their home base and center of power.

Geralt of Rivia

What's the reason for hating one type crime more than another? In the end, it's all crime, so it's all bad.

I'm sorry, but I just do not get this.

All crime is bad; sure.

But what's the reason for hating more than another?

Oh, I dunno. Maybe because, let's say, a child molester is way worse than some kid getting caught smoking pot?

Maybe because, let's say, someone killing 6 people is worse than some dude who hit his wife?

It's stupid to try and make those equal because it's all "just crime"

Of course my examples have a lot more variance than the current topic at hand, but I'd say it's understandable why someone would hate Gangsta's more than, say, the Mafia or something along those lines.