3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAV Graphics - Old Gen vs New Gen

eastriver

After watching the IGN Comparison, the next gen graphics on PS4 look like what PC already did quite a few ages back. So, I don't see much to get excited about here.

Man, you blow so hot and cold. Yesterday you were psyched about stuff, now you're down on it again. If PC is so much better, please, do us all a favour and head over to the PC board.

This is a home console. We ALL know that they're not as powerful as high end gaming rigs. Not all of us need a giant dick-replacement machine to feel good about ourselves and our gaming hobby. Some of us are content to just play games at the best quality we can.

I have a pretty powerful gaming rig, but I hardly use it. I grew up on NES, SNES, Atari... consoles just work better for me. I honestly couldn't give a damn about whether it looks better than my PS4 (clue: it does, much better, but that's completely besides the point). I live with my GF, she enjoys watching me play games. If I'm huddled up at the desk, that can't happen. So, for many reasons, console gaming works better for me - I am sure this is the case for other people here.

PC gamers like to think of themselves as the gaming master race, but they're really just the masters of being snobby little show offs. The console gamers are the master race for many reasons.

They're outgrowing the PC market rapidly.

They're more likely to pay for their games (yeah, I totally went there)

They have set hardware standards that make development easier (no hardware compatibility to be concerned by)

to name just a few.

PC gamers need to just chill out. And to remember that before we had home computers for gaming, we had home consoles. Console gamers were here first. Get over yourself.

I do see the appeal of consoles. They are cheaper in the short term, much more accessible, and the experience is generally consistent.
One of my biggest grievances with the PC platform is the advancement of hardware. I spent a considerable amount on my system, and it already feels dated in contrast to what's currently available. While people are flaunting their GTX 980s, I'm turning to my PS4 for some measure of comfort.
Edited by Bishie
  • Like 1

One of my biggest grievances with the PC platform is the advancement of hardware. I spent a considerable amount on my system, and it already feels dated in contrast to what's currently available. While people are flaunting their GTX 980s, I'm turning to my PS4 for some measure of comfort.

Off topic, but...

It's one of the major problems with gaming today. The NEED to have the latest hardware, when older hardware can cope with what's out there, is pushing development too far. It causes incompatibility issues, it causes driver conflicts. It means that dev teams spend time supporting people's kits when they could be supporting their games. Not all machines can operate to the top standards, and so we have companies like Ubisoft nerfing the visuals in WatchDogs so everyone gets a comparable experience.

Ever-moving tech standards are much more difficult to account for than set, unmoving standards. That's why we see such huge improvements in the software towards the end of the cycle - look at games like, well, IV to V, for example. the improvements on a performance level are huge.

PC gamers may actually be holding console gamers back, in the long run.

But anyway, OT:

DAMN THIS LOOKS GOOD.

• Like 2
Signatures are dumb anyway.

The car interiors are very detailed. Quite impressive.

Yep, even the car's audio system is detailed.

Yah but anti aliasing and small steering wheels, guys. Deal breakers, everywhere.

Re-de-mastered version re-pre-ordered and pre-re-cancelled.

Hey, what's with the PC vs console war?

Check the last page, Jack188817 started this thing.

He tried starting a war before saying PC could barely handle the last gen version in this post.

Also, check his other posts like this, this or this.

BlackScout just told him he was wrong and I think that Jack188817 pulled the 8xAA out of his ass just to troll people.

Miamivicecity, please do something about this troll. I think you or other mods deleted some of his posts before, but he needs at least a temp ban for attempting to start a platform war.

• Like 2

Yah but anti aliasing and small steering wheels, guys. Deal breakers, everywhere.

He tried starting a war before saying PC could barely handle the last gen version in this post.

BlackScout just told him he was wrong and I think that Jack188817 pulled the 8xAA out of his ass just to troll people.

Miamivicecity, please do something about this troll. I think you or other mods deleted some of his posts before, but he needs at least a temp ban for attempting to start a platform war.

Not sure if you mean me or not, but if you do, perhaps try using the report button - as an ex Led-By for these boards, I can assure you that the notification will be seen on the report page far sooner than just moaning about it in here!

This thread is for comparing the graphics of the last gen version of GTA V to the current gen version of GTA V. If you want to discuss anything PC, do so in the PC subforum. Thank you.

• Like 4

– overeducated wonk who fetishises compromise

Not sure if you mean me or not, but if you do, perhaps try using the report button - as an ex Led-By for these boards, I can assure you that the notification will be seen on the report page far sooner than just moaning about it in here!

What? No I didn't mean YOU need a temp ban. Read the rest of my post. I was talking about Jack188817.

He intentionally started this and you can see that clearly if you check his other recent posts.

So, please, let's stop arguing and get back on topic which is about graphics so of course people will complain.

Some people will never be pleased no matter how much better it looks because they always notice the flaws first.

I am happy with all the new content and I will buy the game again at full price.

Although I would have bought it again just to play it on my platform of choice, this is the only remaster released recently (besides Halo: TMCC) that looks like it's worth paying a full price again.

Edited by RaduG
  • Like 1

As mentioned elsewhere, the only thing that I was surprised by was that the protag models look pretty much the same. A little more detail, but it's hard to see anything but the crazy level of improvement everywhere else.

The only thing I can think of to explain the position and size of the steering wheel is so the player gets a better view of the dash/gauges? If they made all the gauges functional in every car they probably want to show it off. It could be they just didn't get it right, I don't know.

Edited by ArticularAlloy

What is this for kinda stupid steeringwheel?? They changed all steeringwheels to dinkytoy little small steeringwheel in a totally wrong position, you should be seeing your dashboard thru the wheel. Not a toy wheel somewhere below.

Hah.. I never noticed that.. dang..

Something like this is more accurate for sure KbhP1nL.png

but.. maybe you can customize your wheel to be tiny, like a racing wheel.

Even the other car micheal is driving has the same small type of wheel..

25z7138.jpg

All I can assume is that these 2 cars have smaller than average wheels, or the view point changes the angle thus making it appear smaller than it actually is.

Or finally, its a design choice, to provide unobstructed view of the instrument panel.

I'm almost certain this was an intentional design choice. They didn't make all of the dials work to then slap a steering wheel over them thus obscuring your view of the current speed etc. Don't forget that most other in car games have a speedo pasted onto the screen itself also which would be the reason they opted for a through the steering wheel view as we are used to.

As mentioned elsewhere, the only thing that I was surprised by was that the protag models look pretty much the same. A little more detail, but it's hard to see anything but the crazy level of improvement everywhere else.

Yeah, I noticed that immediately when I saw the E3 trailer. I hoped they would add real cloth simulation for the main characters, but that was just wishful thinking.

I hope they at least improved the model quality of the beards and haircuts. Those are pretty low poly.

Some other improvements could've been a proper eye shader and subsurface scattering, but those aren't really a priority.

Rockstar left me pleasantly surprised with some of the improvements and additions to this version.

There are some things (like the FP mode) that I wanted but never expected to actually be included.

I really wanted the cockpit view and the steering wheel to actually move since GTA IV and I got that + working gauges so I'm happy with that.

What I also wished for was seat belts, airbags and working windshield wipers but I don't think those are in. Not a big deal although every little detail counts.

There was a car mod for Vice City which had airbags and I wanted Rockstar to add airbags to cars since then.

The seat belt would also be useful to gameplay if the character would put it on if you wait just like the helmet on bikes.

They added health damage from crashes and that + car exploding when it lands upside down + flying through the windshield gets pretty annoying sometimes (always if you also consider the cop cars always catching up and shooting with 99.9% accuacy ).

Adding a seat belt and airbags would balance things a bit. Since airbags only work once you could still die from repeated crashes.

Sorry if I got a little bit off topic.

Jack188817 liked my post. I think he wants to be banned. :lol:

working windshield wipers

Wipers are one of those things i actually expected from them to implement, i mean mafia 2 has them and it's a 2k game.

The police station in Vinewood has changed.

Wow. Looks like they've changed some textures and added the LSPD Crest to the ground by the entrance. Nice comparison. :)

Edited by Paul Diaz
  • Like 2

Well the image that I was comparing disappeared.. so I guess I will have to fix that as soon as I get home.

Here it is. Good eye!

UxKTVbs.gif

you can see the windows in the skyscrapers all the way in the background. thats impressive.

• Like 1

Well the image that I was comparing disappeared.. so I guess I will have to fix that as soon as I get home.

Here it is. Good eye!

UxKTVbs.gif

They've completely re-textured and remodeled that building.

Posted up a slow-motion version of the comparison video:

In 50% speed and 25% speed.

Can't wait to see what PC brings...!!!

• Like 2

So the 2nd IGN preview where Aaron Garbut was speaking about the next-gen version said that Next-Gen have Realistic Lighting/Ambience Occulusion and 3 times the lighting compared to Last-Gen,so this pics shows the realistic lighting/reflection here (pretty cool :)):

http://www.rockstargames.com/V/screenshots/screenshot/960-1920.jpg

Seriously, it's off topic and just unnecessary.

Maybe it's accesible now?? I mean, the lack of interiors in GTA V......... Edited by Andreas
Fixed quoting.

Here it is. Good eye!

UxKTVbs.gif

The street lamp infront of the truck is a completly different one compared to the last gen one.

This are my predictions:

PS4 [email protected]

Xbox One [email protected]

What about the POWER OF THE CLOUD? I remember hearing so much about that and all the Xbox fanboys said it was real.

It's confirmed it's 1080p for the one and ps4 both, they aren't locked at 30 frames so it can probably exceed and unfortunately dip below, I'm not trying to start a war. Let's be honest we all are excited for gta 5 on PC and current gen

• Like 2