3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

GTA V General Modding Discussion

Clxbsport

I wanna remind everyone that even if we can't edit models/textures we probably will be able to change .meta and .dat files soon (apparently not with the next OpenIV release though). A LOT of stuff is encoded in these files, see here for some examples:

http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=62849&page=2&p=666450&viewfull=1#post666450

The .meta files hold everything from the hearing range of peds (to see if they hear you commit a crime or not), weapon/vehicle stats, how long it takes to shake a wanted level, and a lot more. I'm excited to see what mods come from editing .meta and .dat files.

mods like this? http://youtu.be/YZ1SMqoB9ic

Edited by unknown modder

This video has been removed by the user.

yeah, had my social club name, decided to redo it

http://youtu.be/YZ1SMqoB9ic

Wait, the OpenIV hasn't been released yet, and even if it had the new version still doesn't support actually changing the files. How are you able to mod handling??

Is modding supported or rpf files need to be cracked?

BTW, whats up? Why are there 600guests browsing this topic?

RPF can be read and files extracted.

However, openIV team needs to figure out the way to edit RPF archives.

The problem is this: openIV team can reverse engineer how the RPF archive is read and decrypted by looking in EXE. But the same team can't see how RPF archive would be created by looking into EXE - there is no code to create RPF archives.

openIV team needs to figure out the way to create RPF archives themselves - they need to understand the encryption algorithm completely and implement encryption. Things get very complicated if RPF can be compressed and openIV team wants to support the compression instead of simply putting files in raw form - uncompressed. If R* used their own custom compression algorithm.

• Like 4

... and openIV team wants to support the compression instead of simply putting files in raw form - uncompressed. If R* used their own custom compression algorithm.

So it's theoretically possible to create a folder structure in game directory, put modded raw files inside and by that, having a mod installed?

Is the encryption necessary or is it a touch of installation convenience?

If it's necessary: if OpenIV devs would encrypt RPF in a older version and release a game executable tailored to launch these old RPFs, it won't be possible to play these mods Online - if you would want to play GTA:O, you'd have to use the original executable, which doesn't launch mods.

By that, OpenIV developers would effectively prevent Online cheating. At least, until others figure out how to encrypt in new RPF versions.

Would it work out?

Edited by Alvarez
MichaelKnight4Christ

RPF can be read and files extracted.

However, openIV team needs to figure out the way to edit RPF archives.

The problem is this: openIV team can reverse engineer how the RPF archive is read and decrypted by looking in EXE. But the same team can't see how RPF archive would be created by looking into EXE - there is no code to create RPF archives.

openIV team needs to figure out the way to create RPF archives themselves - they need to understand the encryption algorithm completely and implement encryption. Things get very complicated if RPF can be compressed and openIV team wants to support the compression instead of simply putting files in raw form - uncompressed. If R* used their own custom compression algorithm.

Yeah you said it pal, Im thinking that the rpf can be viewed and modified but its repacking it that is the problem right now. I think eventually it will be figured out but for all this work the OpenIV team and other modders should set up donations lol. Anyway I took a good look at some of the files and essentially whats necessary for changing files as you said is the rpf dev tool kit.

Edited by MichaelKnight4Christ

... and openIV team wants to support the compression instead of simply putting files in raw form - uncompressed. If R* used their own custom compression algorithm.

So it's theoretically possible to create a folder structure in game directory, put modded raw files inside and by that, having a mod installed?

Is the encryption necessary or is it a touch of installation convenience?

I believe the easiest thing to do would be creating uncompressed RPF archives and altering the game code with ASI plugin to support unencrypted and uncompressed RPF archives.

The major drawback is lack of compression and possibly more space would be needed.

Though, it will take me a while before I get V and do my own research.

I have the steam edition i cant see no files and folders But there is some folders and files types in my steam directory which i do not know of and use a combined total of 60+ GB (only large file game i purchased through steam) but not normal folders and files (like Data folder and Audio or Models like previous GTA games) also to start the game you need to use the steam application or the GTA V shortcut on the desktop which is linked to a URL in steam (i think rockstar did this on purpose to make it hard to mod) so how will i mod the game the other GTA games i have are not in steam but i only got the steam edition as i could easily get it by using steam vouchers

Edited by ZS GTA
Richard Power Colt

I really want a survival online mode for this game, but the sad thing is that R* will do their best to stop people from modding online. I don't support cheating, but I do wish we could freely mod in private servers. Perhaps the amount of cheaters might escalate to a point where they might feel inclined to give modders a sandbox mode separate from the main game that doesn't have the progression of the rest of GTA Online. I think it's pretty unlikely though.

Edited by GTAandStuff
  • Like 1

I'd let the devs surprise us, until now they hyped us pretty hard with their new OpenIV version.

@fastman92: you go and try it. I'm out of smart with the RPFs.

@ZS GTA: I would suggest you read the topic the few pages, get updated about RPF files and OpenIV.

I wonder how much the polycount of car models increased...

This video has been removed by the user.

yeah, had my social club name, decided to redo it

http://youtu.be/YZ1SMqoB9ic

Wait, the OpenIV hasn't been released yet, and even if it had the new version still doesn't support actually changing the files. How are you able to mod handling??

The AES key to decrypt the RPF's are in the executable, it's just a matter of finding it. If you know where it is on the console executable I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find it in the PC executable.

Looking forward to seeing the progress of OpenIV. I still think the best logical way to handle mods would be to use a package-controlled environment in order to toggle mods off when accessing GTA:O. There was a similar thing for GTA IV and SA, but now we have GTA:O, I think we need to be more wary about how mods are implemented. It's shame GTA V is packaged as one whole base unit spanning across Online and SP. Surely there'll be a way to handle mods as packages in the near future.

• Like 1

OpenIV 2.5 for Grand Theft Auto V PC

Okay, no big speeches today, right to the business. OpenIV 2.5 first release with support PC version of GTA V. Currently you can only view files, edit features are not available now. You can open archives and textures, the other resources will come later. The audio playback is also not available now. Please keep in mind it is just a beginning. Full list of changes is available here.

downloadOIV.png

Okay, no big speeches today, right to the business. OpenIV 2.5 first release with support PC version of GTA V. Currently you can only view files, edit features are not available now. You can open archives and textures, the other resources will come later. The audio playback is also not available now. Please keep in mind it is just a beginning. Full list of changes is available here.

downloadOIV.png

Dude, you've earned yourself a lifetime of beers (again!) You can hold me to that. Thanks NTS, you're a monster.

Edited by JMDUK
Little Red Nurgling

Seems that x64w.rpf/dlcpacks/spupgrade/dlc.rpf/common/data is where you can find all the data for the returning content DLC, and I hope a way to unlock it as well.

EDIT: I'm somewhat convinced that overlayinfo.xml, lines 0007 and 0013 are the culprits. The overlayinfo's for all the other DLC folders don't seem to have these two lines.

Edited by Little Red Nurgling

I really want a survival online mode for this game, but the sad thing is that R* will do their best to stop people from modding online. I don't support cheating, but I do wish we could freely mod in private servers. Perhaps the amount of cheaters might escalate to a point where they might feel inclined to give modders a sandbox mode separate from the main game that doesn't have the progression of the rest of GTA Online. I think it's pretty unlikely though.

Our very own NTAuthority is working on an alternative multiplayer client which will support private server hosting. http://fivem.net/

• Like 1

Just a heads up, there's a patch coming tomorrow from Rockstar, might just be for Social Club, but as I said in the other thread, timing seems way too close, so grab what you can now in case we get locked out again for a few days.

Edited by Ash_735

downloadOIV.png

WOW, amazing work!!

I don't mean to sound impatient, but do you have an idea of when we will be able to import/export models and textures? I apologize if someone has asked this already.

Just a heads up, there's a patch coming tomorrow from Rockstar, might just be for Social Club, but as I said in the other thread, timing seems way too close, so grab what you can now in case we get locked out again for a few days.

There's no way they'd pass off QA that quick, even if they wanted to. Only replacing/remapping the AES key would "prevent" what's happening here, and that wouldn't happen overnight from R* thankfully. I doubt they'd fiddle with encryption, unless of course, they want to stab the community right through back albeit to what they said about "mods". ;)