3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Clxbsport

GTA V General Modding Discussion

fordguyjh

Good work on cracking that tough nut guys!

Been inactive for a while, LOVED SA, looking forward to messing around with V once all the tools are ready.

Got to build a new PC first

Agni

I wanna remind everyone that even if we can't edit models/textures we probably will be able to change .meta and .dat files soon (apparently not with the next OpenIV release though). A LOT of stuff is encoded in these files, see here for some examples:

http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=62849&page=2&p=666450&viewfull=1#post666450

The .meta files hold everything from the hearing range of peds (to see if they hear you commit a crime or not), weapon/vehicle stats, how long it takes to shake a wanted level, and a lot more. I'm excited to see what mods come from editing .meta and .dat files.

Edited by Agni

Javilenier

Lol just made an account. Really excited to be a part of this modding community and I can't wait to see what happens in the next few days with GTA V mods!!!

Marty McFly

I'm probably gonna create a timecycle mod as soon as the files are editable; besides handling data this is the most important thing to me right now.

Javilenier

and holy sh*t, 1500 people viewing?!?!

Edited by Javilenier

ReginaPhalange

Do you still think it will take a years to open GTA V archives? Think OpenIV.

14.png

15.png

16.png

17.png

i cant see the pics, can you link it ?

LUIGI1798

this is super exciting.

the new era of PC gaming begins the day OpenIV gets an update.

ubtri

this is super exciting.

Pretty sure they'll call it "OpenV" ;)

Marty McFly

Just unpacking the rpf archives is not enough, most files inside are further encrypted by something very similiar to SDFA in EfLC initial release (which got cracked by Alexander Blade like, 3 days after? Later removed with Patch 1.1.1.0).

Generic wrappers can be used just like this already since they don't need to hook so deep into the game engine. I use ReShade (see my signature) and it works like a charm. In case you are familiar with this tool, make sure to name the dll d3d11.dll instead of dxgi.dll - the latter is usually loaded earlier by most games but for some reason, it causes V to crash.

Yes, I am aware that those effects aren't very useful for playing but it's something.

gta52015-04-1600-21-077jep.png
gta52015-04-1600-32-2atj9m.png
gta52015-04-1600-34-5p4k77.png
gta52015-04-1600-36-2r5j9q.png
gta52015-04-1600-39-13ajvv.png
gta52015-04-1600-43-1cykzt.png
gta52015-04-1600-43-33lkf1.png

Edited by Marty McFly

oCrapaCreeper

I wanna remind everyone that even if we can't edit models/textures we probably will be able to change .meta and .dat files soon (apparently not with the next OpenIV release though). A LOT of stuff is encoded in these files, see here for some examples:

http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=62849&page=2&p=666450&viewfull=1#post666450

The .meta files hold everything from the hearing range of peds (to see if they hear you commit a crime or not), weapon/vehicle stats, how long it takes to shake a wanted level, and a lot more. I'm excited to see what mods come from editing .meta and .dat files.

First thing that should get changed is that .meta file that allows animals to witness crimes and "call" the police.

Alba263

I'm probably gonna create a timecycle mod as soon as the files are editable; besides handling data this is the most important thing to me right now.

Glad to see you here! I'm looking forward to your mods, even if I probably won't be able to run them - haha

this is super exciting.

Pretty sure they'll call it "OpenV" ;)

They're not. They're gonna keep the name :)

AlexGRFan97

Wow, just what the hell is it that R* have against us? Ever since Hot Coffee they've been giving us major trust issues for something that was their own damn fault. I'd wager it's the main reason as to why LCS and VCS were never made for PC, among later games like the last Midnight Club and RDR. Good job to those trying to break these seemingly adamantine locks, because there's absolutely no need for them. R* needs to stop shoving GTA:O down our throats to the extent that its affecting the SP Mode in this way.

Samutz

Personally, I'd like to see some sort of alternate PRF loader via something like scripthook or a custom dll file. Similar to how recent Elder Scrolls and Fallout games handle plugins, where the base plugin gets loaded first, then DLC plugins, then the update plugin, then mod plugins.

This would allow PRF load ordering and most mod authors would be able to simply publish their mods as PRF files, not requiring the user to modify their own files.

+1.

Actually, it shouldn't even be RPFs. Let's say our users are willing to have an unpacked directory of all the RPF archives where we can just drop in modded files. Sure, another 60gb, but the freedom would be so amazing that I think most modders will be willing to spare an extra 60gb on their SSDs for it.

I would still prefer RPFs, or other type of archive or perhaps subfolders, for organization purposes. Let's say you have 5 mods installed and mod4 is causing the game to crash. I'd would like to be able to delete or disable mod4.rpf to fix it, rather than dig through a folder containing all of the mod files trying to pick out mod4's files.

uNi

#Silentpatch

Alvarez

#Silentpatch

What do you mean, exactly?

TJGM

#Silentpatch

http://gtaforums.com/topic/669045-iiivcsaasi-silentpatch/

People will often say #SilentPatchIt and so on because @Silent has fixed so many bugs with III, VC and SA with his mod "SilentPatch". It's often used in the modding section when something is found broken in a game, expect it frequently. :p

Edited by TJGM

zepman79

What is the difference to modding community of having the SDK for GTA V and not getting it? I know you can mod without it, does the SDK just make it easier? Also do yall think we will be able to mod GTA V's online mode. Think about the Desert Combat mod/pack for BF1942 and how it worked. Is there any chance that Rockstar is going to cut us loose like that in MP?

I was involved in the modding community during GTA III, but GTA IV made me so mad that I didn't bother. Now we have GTA V and I can't wait to see what yall are going to come up with. Knowing what was going on during the GTA III days and what was accomplished then, I can only imagine what should be possible now.

Good to be back on these forums.

ubtri

Just unpacking the rpf archives is not enough, most files inside are further encrypted by something very similiar to SDFA in EfLC initial release (which got cracked by Alexander Blade like, 3 days after? Later removed with Patch 1.1.1.0).

Generic wrappers can be used just like this already since they don't need to hook so deep into the game engine. I use ReShade (see my signature) and it works like a charm. In case you are familiar with this tool, make sure to name the dll d3d11.dll instead of dxgi.dll - the latter is usually loaded earlier by most games but for some reason, it causes V to crash.

Yes, I am aware that those effects aren't very useful for playing but it's something.

Why is it that ReShade/SweetFX works for some people and not others? I've been trying to run it since last night (I believe ReShade 0.17) and have been crashing everytime. Renaming to d3d11 and back to gxdi does not help me whatsoever!

XXCrimsonXX

All hail PC modding, and screw those that oppose!

Ash_735

Having an SDK would make it extreme easier if we were to do engine modding, but for the general modding people expect, we don't need Rockstar's help, and never will, we find our own ways, make our own tools, and those of you now walking around this modding section should know, Rockstar is the enemy here, they will patch the game like crazy, block what we do, break things on purpose, Rockstar do NOT take kindly to the modding community, even when we fix their sh*t they still ignore us and then carry on doing things wrong. The sad thing is, all the protection and locks still didn't prevent basic trainers from working with GTAOnline, so go figure, if you're new here, have a look around, see how we do things, this isn't the V section, don't expect kindness or tolerance for being a dumbass. Enjoy your stay and hopefully we can look forward to what you guys can contribute!

Edited by Ash_735

ubtri

What is the difference to modding community of having the SDK for GTA V and not getting it? I know you can mod without it, does the SDK just make it easier? Also do yall think we will be able to mod GTA V's online mode. Think about the Desert Combat mod/pack for BF1942 and how it worked. Is there any chance that Rockstar is going to cut us loose like that in MP?

I was involved in the modding community during GTA III, but GTA IV made me so mad that I didn't bother. Now we have GTA V and I can't wait to see what yall are going to come up with. Knowing what was going on during the GTA III days and what was accomplished then, I can only imagine what should be possible now.

Source SDK (from my understanding when L4D first released it's SDK) gives modders the ability to create maps from the library of textures and objects for said game. You could think of a game's SDK as you would think of learning to use Unreal or Unity engines. As you know with GTAIV, Simple Native (a script) could spawn objects and people can open img files to modify textures & import models, but still require the use of unofficial support tools from people like you and me (who have way more skill, ofc.) Then we have scripts, which is basically opening up notepad and writing code.

SDK = Open/Easy and non-SDK = Closed/Difficult

Racer__X

Damnnn, I thought I was here a long time haha

zepman79

if you're new here, have a look around, see how we do things, this isn't the V section, don't expect kindness or tolerance for being a dumbass. Enjoy your stay and hopefully we can look forward to what you guys can contribute!

I know it's not the V section, but there is no modding sub forum yet. Also check my join date under my name :lol:

^ lolz

Edited by zepman79

TJGM

if you're new here, have a look around, see how we do things, this isn't the V section, don't expect kindness or tolerance for being a dumbass. Enjoy your stay and hopefully we can look forward to what you guys can contribute!

I know it's not the V section, but there is no modding sub forum yet. Also check my join date under my name :lol:

^ lolz

I'm pretty sure that was to anyone who's new here in general. :p

13-37

^ lolz

#rekt jk

can't wait for the mods to come!

Sebianoti

#Silentpatch

http://gtaforums.com/topic/669045-iiivcsaasi-silentpatch/

People will often say #SilentPatchIt and so on because @Silent has fixed so many bugs with III, VC and SA with his mod "SilentPatch". It's often used in the modding section when something is found broken in a game, expect it frequently. :p

I was quite active on here few years ago and I honestly never came across someone saying SilentPatch, though I'm aware of all his great work.

TheMostKnowledgable

The only issue I ever took with SilentPatch which is a great mod is that while it's nice to limit to 30fps instead of 25, he called Rockstar programmers lazy for 25fps, but in reality, it was on purpose because 25fps is pal video framerate (pal is used where they are from) and it looked more filmic that way. It was intentional, because it was meant to look like PAL video format.

Edited by TheMostKnowledgable

uNi

The only issue I ever took with SilentPatch which is a great mod is that while it's nice to limit to 30fps instead of 25, he called Rockstar programmers lazy for 25fps, but in reality, it was on purpose because 25fps is pal video framerate (pal is used where they are from) and it looked more filmic that way. It was intentional, because it was meant to look like PAL video format.

Source?

Whisky Tango Foxtrot

First thing that should get changed is that .meta file that allows animals to witness crimes and "call" the police.

Err. First thing is removing ALL of those sh*tty metas.

I don't want to deal with stupid cops anymore.

Ash_735

What kind of bullsh*t are you spewing son? Yes 25fps is the PAL framerate, BUT San Andreas Internal framerate was, and always will be 30fps, the thing causing the 5fps drop is the 14ms framedelay counter Rockstar didn't account for, to make things even better, they kinda accidentally reduced that in the Steam version of the game to 10ms framedelay, this instead now causing the framerate to lock at 26fps. It's nothing to do with PAL or NTSC here, it's Rockstar not calculating the framerate properly in this version of the game.