1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Things you didn't know about GTAO until now

malcolmfunktion
  • Replies 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gridl0k

• whywontyoulisten

• Pedinhuh

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I discovered you can buy shoes in Ammunation about 1 second ago

You know you can swap lock-on targets with L1/LT on the buzzard or jet? or that all helicopters can float on the sea surface?

I've just discovered this morning that you can buy shoes at Ammunation...most of you probably know this and even more probably don't care...I don't even care apart from the fact that I never knew this

50 minutes ago, SummerFreeze said:

It depended on the aircraft. For example the dive-bombing version of the P-51 Mustang, the A-36 Apache, had technical issues diving at more than 70°. Certainly the norm for the Ju 87, the most famous dive bomber of WWII, was 70-90°. But the twin-engined bomber Ju 88, which had dive-bombing capability as a design requirement, was eventually limited to 45°, also for technical reasons.

In GTA you can drop bombs at an angle greater than 40°. If you check out the videos I posted, I dive at roughly the max angle possible before the bomb release locks up. Max is probably the 2nd video in my 2nd post (https://imgur.com/tLZkTvg); I'd say that's about 60-70°. As I said in my first post, dive-bombing works surprisingly well in GTA. The video links are supposed to show that. I also just did Fully Loaded VIP work using the Rogue in the city, dropping two bombs on each limo in two (or more) separate dives, including the ones that stand halfway under a roof. With a little practice it's pretty easy. If my video recording didn't have potato quality, I'd make a youtube video.

Ahh yeah my bad it wasn't quite as vertical drops as I thought and I've seen the old instructional video on dive bombing a few times... obviously I needed a memory refresh as they suggested between 55 and 70 degrees. 

Yep it's not 40 degrees either in GTA Online, it's between 50 and 55 degrees. I can't get an accurate number. 55 degrees doesn't allow any bomb dropping but pulling up a little does. 60 degrees is a definite no-go. 
Tested that by placing long props at angles incrementing in 5 degrees at a time then sitting in an aircraft attached to the props (just raised above a bit) with it set to move at slow speed with me in it dropping bombs. Not too far off reality then. 

I just don't get why there's no aiming reticule. It would make sense and plenty of other games have such a function. It's not like we have the maps to work out drop angle, release altitude and distance or whatever and that would be more for a simulation than GTA anyway. 

• Like 3
SummerFreeze
58 minutes ago, Gaffa said:

Ahh yeah my bad it wasn't quite as vertical drops as I thought and I've seen the old instructional video on dive bombing a few times... obviously I needed a memory refresh as they suggested between 55 and 70 degrees. 

Yep it's not 40 degrees either in GTA Online, it's between 50 and 55 degrees. I can't get an accurate number. 55 degrees doesn't allow any bomb dropping but pulling up a little does. 60 degrees is a definite no-go. 
Tested that by placing long props at angles incrementing in 5 degrees at a time then sitting in an aircraft attached to the props (just raised above a bit) with it set to move at slow speed with me in it dropping bombs. Not too far off reality then. 

I just don't get why there's no aiming reticule. It would make sense and plenty of other games have such a function. It's not like we have the maps to work out drop angle, release altitude and distance or whatever and that would be more for a simulation than GTA anyway. 

What I found is the bomb will follow the direction you are flying very accurately; the higher your approach angle the better. So you really just need to fly at the target to aim. If you check out the videos I posted, that's what I'm doing. It would be more difficult relying on luck to drop a bomb directly on a jammer.

• Like 2
suicidal_banana
10 hours ago, Gaffa said:

While i would like an aiming reticule too, i think i know why we dont have it, in my experience (when flying straight & third person cam) you are best off dropping the bombs when your plane covers the target you're aiming for, so then where would it show the reticule? besides on top of your own plane wich would just confuse the simpletons that seem to be R*'s main focus now. Obviously this doesn't solve aiming when you're diving or banking or whatever, so yea, a reticule would still be nice to have.

• Like 2
SummerFreeze
1 minute ago, suicidal_banana said:

While i would like an aiming reticule too, i think i know why we dont have it, in my experience (when flying straight & third person cam) you are best off dropping the bombs when your plane covers the target you're aiming for, so then where would it show the reticule? besides on top of your own plane wich would just confuse the simpletons that seem to be R*'s main focus now. Obviously this doesn't solve aiming when you're diving or banking or whatever, so yea, a reticule would still be nice to have.

I played the original Il-2 Sturmovik a long time ago and using the bomb sights in that game was really fun. But that's a simulator and I wouldn't expect Rockstar to implement something like that.

7 hours ago, suicidal_banana said:

I mean they could copy other games which do the job just fine. They could create a camera for it to allow for the distance or separation (the current bomb camera is useless). Or lets go really simple and make use of a the radar / minimap and put a red circle on there where it's expected to land. 

It doesn't need to be accurate anyway, it just needs to be a guide - non guided bombs generally have that random factor - too high, too low, too fast or too slow and it may land somewhere where you don't want it to. 

• Like 1
SummerFreeze
4 hours ago, Gaffa said:

I mean they could copy other games which do the job just fine. They could create a camera for it to allow for the distance or separation (the current bomb camera is useless). Or lets go really simple and make use of a the radar / minimap and put a red circle on there where it's expected to land. 

It doesn't need to be accurate anyway, it just needs to be a guide - non guided bombs generally have that random factor - too high, too low, too fast or too slow and it may land somewhere where you don't want it to. 

From my recent experiences, the bomb dropping physics appear to be really, really simple. It seems to be just the direction/speed you're flying + a force that pulls the bomb straight down. I'm not sure about the factor for each, but when diving at the target as a way to aim, from a high angle the bomb gravitational force seems so negligible as to have no effect, because this method is so accurate. I just did Fully Loaded again with the Rogue in the city, meaning 2 x 10 bomb hits required and only had 7 misses. So 20 / 27 = an accuracy of 74.1%. I'd say having to look at the map or through some downward-facing camera would be more difficult than simply diving at the target at the max angle allowed to release the bomb. It would be a nice feature to have for the bigger level bombers though.

Edited by SummerFreeze
1 hour ago, SummerFreeze said:

From my recent experiences, the bomb dropping physics appear to be really, really simple. It seems to be just the direction/speed you're flying + a force that pulls the bomb straight down. I'm not sure about the factor for each, but when diving at the target as a way to aim, from a high angle the bomb gravitational force seems so negligible as to have no effect, because this method is so accurate. I just did Fully Loaded again with the Rogue in the city, meaning 2 x 10 bomb hits required and only had 7 misses. So 20 / 27 = an accuracy of 74.1%. I'd say having to look at the map or through some downward-facing camera would be more difficult than simply diving at the target at the max angle allowed to release the bomb. It would be a nice feature to have for the bigger level bombers though.

Aren't you dive bombing on most of those occasions? I would guess it's the more consistent and accurate approach, especially with a stationary target. 
Could you get the 75% accuracy from your current experience from non-dive bombing? Could you get 75% at a high altitudes or from normal bombing of a non-stationary target? I'm sure the answer is "yes" but then it becomes tedious practice makes perfect, which might not even be the case anyway as we quickly learn the difference in dropping a bomb at 4000ft vs 4100ft makes a difference on where it lands.

Sorry for nit-picking, but I mean, why do we even have auto aim in the game? If there's someone shooting at you, you know they're an enemy and should be engaged - surely we don't need to press a button to find that person when - and they're also marked on the map... It's like "do people need to be told that they should aim for centre mass for the most accurate shot and the head for the most devastating shot?"
Yet we have auto aim with target switching. 

But when it comes to bombing, something that has many physics elements to it like speed, AOA and altitude, and we have no reference or aiming point whatsoever? 
An aiming marker for bombing would just make it easier and suit the more casual player. 

People have compared GTA's bombing system to other games' bombing system and nearly always make note of the lack of aiming marker or generally pick out that it's "hard to aim" with bombs - unless dive bombing. 

- - - 

I mean forget everything I just said... we really can't put a waypoint on the map that counts as our "target" and then something that weighs up the elements like speed, distance, altitude, angle of attack etc and then just puts on the screen "RELEASE NOW" so that the bomb lands in about the area that we chose? 
It just screams to me "Rockstar didn't know what to do so did nothing" rather than actually think about things. Like I say, other games manage it just fine. 

SummerFreeze
1 hour ago, Gaffa said:

Aren't you dive bombing on most of those occasions? I would guess it's the more consistent and accurate approach, especially with a stationary target. 
Could you get the 75% accuracy from your current experience from non-dive bombing? Could you get 75% at a high altitudes or from normal bombing of a non-stationary target? I'm sure the answer is "yes" but then it becomes tedious practice makes perfect, which might not even be the case anyway as we quickly learn the difference in dropping a bomb at 4000ft vs 4100ft makes a difference on where it lands.

Sorry for nit-picking, but I mean, why do we even have auto aim in the game? If there's someone shooting at you, you know they're an enemy and should be engaged - surely we don't need to press a button to find that person when - and they're also marked on the map... It's like "do people need to be told that they should aim for centre mass for the most accurate shot and the head for the most devastating shot?"
Yet we have auto aim with target switching. 

But when it comes to bombing, something that has many physics elements to it like speed, AOA and altitude, and we have no reference or aiming point whatsoever? 
An aiming marker for bombing would just make it easier and suit the more casual player. 

People have compared GTA's bombing system to other games' bombing system and nearly always make note of the lack of aiming marker or generally pick out that it's "hard to aim" with bombs - unless dive bombing. 

- - - 

I mean forget everything I just said... we really can't put a waypoint on the map that counts as our "target" and then something that weighs up the elements like speed, distance, altitude, angle of attack etc and then just puts on the screen "RELEASE NOW" so that the bomb lands in about the area that we chose? 
It just screams to me "Rockstar didn't know what to do so did nothing" rather than actually think about things. Like I say, other games manage it just fine. 

Yes, dive bombing. That's what I've been talking about.

I've never seen anyone use the technique I described and showed in my video clips. That's why I posted it here: I didn't know this worked so well. Even the prominent PvPers, if they use bombs at all, advocate for a mostly level approach with timing/feel required to hit a target. I have been doing it like this as well, I would say I'm "good" at dropping bombs this way, but would never achieve 75% accuracy on single bomb drops against targets like the turreted limos, which are often situated in between houses, surrounded by objects, or halfway under a roof.

If you just wanted to talk about bombing in general, then I misinterpreted your intention of quoting me. I think it would be nice to have a bomb sight that allows high-altitude, level bombing.

Edited by SummerFreeze
1 hour ago, SummerFreeze said:

Yes, dive bombing. That's what I've been talking about.

I've never seen anyone use the technique I described and showed in my video clips. That's why I posted it here: I didn't know this worked so well. Even the prominent PvPers, if they use bombs at all, advocate for a mostly level approach with timing/feel required to hit a target. I have been doing it like this as well, I would say I'm "good" at dropping bombs this way, but would never achieve 75% accuracy on single bomb drops against targets like the turreted limos, which are often situated in between houses, surrounded by objects, or halfway under a roof.

If you just wanted to talk about bombing in general, then I misinterpreted your intention of quoting me. I think it would be nice to have a bomb sight that allows high-altitude, level bombing.

Yeah sorry I'm talking about there needing to be a bombing "guide" of some sort for all types of bombing. Less needed for dive bombing because of how the bomb tends to go somewhat around about where the nose of the plane was pointing (at that attitude / aoa). 

I was never able to get much success doing "straight and level" bombing back in the day so quickly learned about dive bombing but you're right it's underused. I guess in some ways it's dangerous against players armed with miniguns or explosive rounds but in other ways it's less so, because you can "fire your weapon" at a greater range. 

I do think bombs need buffing in general though and having a bigger and more potent explosion. 

Edited by Gaffa
  • Like 1

In the hanger mission that has you shooting down Lazers (with a Nokota provided), the cargo is carried by a pilot not his jet. (I'm using this mission to do jet sniping; it's pretty fun.)

In the Alpha Z-1 sell mission, there is a Mechanic standing under each drop next to a Blazer. He started to attack me after I finished the mission, which is just as well -- he had it coming with his habitual incompetence.

• Like 2