Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (84,812 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
krashr

Sin City 2 - A Dame to Kill For

krashr

really looking forward to this, due out august 22nd

directed by- miller/rodriguez
written by- miller/rodriguez/monahan
based- primarily on the second book "a dame to kill for". will also include two scripts written specifically for the film, "the long bad night" and "the fat loss". plot points from "just another saturday night" will also appear. these stories occur both before and after the first film.
returning players- hartigan / bruce willis
nancy / jessica alba
goldie-wendy / jaime king
marv / mickey rourke
gail / rosario dawson
senator roark / powers boothe
miho / jamie chung (previously played by devon aoki)
dwight / josh brolin (dwight with old face, previously played by clive owen)
bob / jeremy piven (previously played by michael madsen)
new players- johnny / joseph gordon-levitt
ava lord / eva green
joey canelli / ray liotta
wallenquist / stacey keach
sally / juno temple
manute / dennis haysbert
damien lord / martin csokas
marcy / julia garner
mort / christopher meloni
waitress / lady gaga?? (possibly replacing brittany murphy as shellie?)
Edited by krashr

stockportlad86

I'm going to see this on the 24th August as it's a double bill at my cinema/theatre ect as I hope it will be AS good as the first one anyone else looking forward to this?

Mr. Scratch

I can't wait to see it, what's the other movie you're seeing?

krashr

only a few weeks away now! soo excited to see it! it would be awesome if they did a double bill with the first one

Kirsty

Trailer from Comic Con, looking very sexy, can't wait to watch :) Hopefully it isn't crap, even Lady Gaga is in this video.

krashr

yes yes yes yes yes! this may be the first thing i like that has lady gaga in it

Edited by krashr

stockportlad86

I can't wait to see it, what's the other movie you're seeing?

obviously the first one :lol:

samuels47385

I loved the first Sin City film. Will definitely be checking this out.

RiaJay21

Definitely looking forward to this; I was kind of too young to get too caught up in the first Sin City when it first came out, and arrived kind of late to that party. Grew to love the original (as my Media Studies teacher liked to point out), and the graphic novels, so I'm looking forward to seeing the end result of Rodriguez and Miller teaming up again.

I'm working solidly through opening weekend (which I think is the 29th, here) so I'm looking to go see it the next time I have a day off ...

krashr

nearly a decade on and i still love the first one just as much as i did when i first saw it! the new(ish) trailer is giving me a good feeling about this one

GunWrath

Finally! Eva Green <3

More movies need to be like this.. my birthday is on the 30th but I may go and watch this acouple days before as a secret present. It would be my first trip to a theater in years. Got a sexy cast this go around and I'm curious about how much more carnage Rourke will do and I'm also curious about Brolin's character.. I've never followed the graphic novels, so I know nothing about the actual story.. but we'll see. Great post.

krashr

if you have time i would highly recommend popping into a comic shop and having a flick through one of the novels, especially those that were incorporated into the first movie.. some of the comparisons from graphic novel to screen are astounding and, for me, enhances my love of the way the film was made, as it's very faithful

Ash_735

It's strange, Sin City is one of my all time favorite movies, but these trailers arn't selling me at all, if anything, they make me worried.

The trailers seem to show it off as some crazy balls to the wall Cheesy B-Movie in vein of films like Grindhouse and the new 300 movie, I mean just listen to the music, going from dubstep, to whatever the hell that is in the second trailer, and now compare those to the original trailer that drove everybody in:

It's like the new film is a completely different genre despite being (mostly for two stories, "A Dame To Kill For" and "Just Another Saturday Night") based on the same material, the original was Neo-Noir, dark, serious yet had enough Dark Comedy in it to get through, the trailers for the new content at least seem very, well, overly action and comedy with a lot of up itself writing that I HOPE makes more sense in context with the film (Yes, I know some characters in the first film were bad, Shelly "You damn fool"). I'm just hoping both Rodriguez and Miller haven't let the overly cheesy and B-Movie style they've been doing recently actually affect this as the first film with serious to an extent and wasn't aiming to be "LOL B-MOVIE".

I'm also hoping the new material is actually good, it's been years since Millers has done anything new for Sin City, so pushing new material straight into the film is risky as hell, but I guess it saves on them doing the psychotic episode that's known as "To Hell And Back".

krashr

i choose to remain optimistic. 12 days to go...

Payne Killer

Can't wait to see this movie.

VCRules86

The presence of Juno Temple in the cast dictates that I must see this movie.

Ash_735

Watched it last night, nowhere near as good as the first. Visually, it's good, but Nancy's story was just boring for the most part and actually ruins the timeline. Johnny's story was actually good and the cameo from Christopher Lloyd was very enjoyable.

Now, A Dame To Kill For is weirdly where it both goes to high points AND low points. The recast of Bob was pointless, it's a shame Michael Madsen couldn't come back, Jeremy Pivon weirdly does a bland job in the role, even his last line is hilarious "No" said in the most monotone least caring way. The recast of Miho was a weird one, she seemed the same but also oddly lacking the stance of the character in the first film. Of course the role of Manute couldn't be helped with Michael Clarke Duncans death, but his replacement is at least OK.

Now, spoilers, here for the rest of the story....

When Dwight gets surgery to become a different person is where it falls down, it feels soo cheap, at this point he should be Clive Owen, instead in the film, they tried to make Josh Brolin look like Clive Owen which was quite bizarre and distracting really. It's a shame he didn't also return as it would have tied into the film film perfectly instead of the half assed job we got here.

The Highlights for me were "Just Another Saturday Night" and Johnny's story, "A Dame To Kill For" is ruined by all the recasting and coming off as half assed whilst Nancy's Story just feels pointless and messes up the timeline.

On the plus side, this song is used very well:

krashr
sadly, i agree with pretty much everything you've said.. and then some.
it takes a special kind of sequel that can reach back a decade and somehow make the original worse. rather than pick the whole thing apart by listing all the ways it fell short imo, i will hand the floor over to some classic kevin sorbo, who sums up my feelings in one word

7XGFYu9.jpg

Ash_735

It's a shame, it really is, Nancy's story is worthless and is the only Sin City story that f*cks up the timeline, why would Frank Miller do that?? The Hard Goodbye is the last timewsie, and when Marv kills Cardinal Roark, he mentions before that Senator Roark is still alive, now, in this story, after killing the Cardinal, is when he gets shot down and captured, and spends the rest of his time in prison until he's killed. This story also features Nancy with long hair and still as a dancer, in the scene when Marv drops Wendy off to her place to keep her safe.

NOW, Nancy's story is supposed to take place at the end of the timeline, set over a year AFTER The Hard Goodbye, BIG QUESTION, what the hell is Marv doing alive? Why wasn't Nancy depressed about Hartigan in other Sin City appearances? It's not exactly something that's come up over night, in the film, it's shown that she's been visiting Hartigans grave ever since he was buried, and only recently started drinking. It just feels so, what the hell, especially in contrast to...

Johnny's story, which can fit in anywhere in the timeline BEFORE The Hard Goodbye, because it doesn't rely on previous characters outside of showing what a bastard Roark is, it actually works well as being just another story in Sin City. Plus the poker games were done very well and tension wise was just, perfect.

So yeah, of course the issues with A Dame To Kill For, after all this wait, it's only getting half a good film really (Just Another Saturday Night // Johnny's Story), but I guess it proves the point Frank Miller can do BOTH in writing a new good Sin City story, ...and writing a bad one. :p

Femme Fatale

I MUST watch it. I just wish Lady Gaga wasn't in it...

krashr

she's only in it briefly, but still manages to invoke cringe

Edited by krashr

Femme Fatale

she's only in it briefly, but still manages to invoke cringe

I guess it'll do...