California wildfires

Gutslab

Wildfires in California? 'you don't say.jpg'

The ones that are happening right now are pretty severe and scary though. Hope everyone comes out of it fine.

Article

CARLSBAD, California (CNN) — A major firefighting offensive Thursday sought to douse wildfires that have so far charred 9,987 acres in California’s San Diego County, with the worst being a nearly uncontrollable blaze in San Marcos.

Helicopters, military aircraft and extra crews, worked the fire, which fire officials said was only 5% contained as it burned 800 acres Thursday morning in San Marcos, home to a California State University campus and a heavily populated area.

The biggest fire — at 6,000 acres on the Marines Corps’ Camp Pendleton — was only 20% contained, the military base said Thursday. Much of the land on the base is open acreage used for training exercises.

In broad daylight at noon, the fire blackened the skies in one San Marcos neighborhood and sent a “firenado” — a column resembling a tornado with smoke and flames shooting from it — rising and twisting into the air. The blaze forced the university to cancel this week’s commencement and other activities, officials said.

In all, firefighters faced three dozen fires overnight, but as of mid-morning Thursday, that number had been reduced to eight, Cal Fire spokesman Daniel Berlant said.

Evacuation orders for several neighborhoods in San Marcos remained in place Thursday and at least 350 evacuees without alternate housing spent Wednesday night in shelters, officials said. Schools in many areas of the county were shut down because of the fire, including the San Diego Unified School District.

With sunrise Thursday, firefighters knew they were in for a long day.

“As quickly as the sun came up, so did the smoke,” and the smoke meant fire, said Cal Fire Battalion Chief Nick Schuler.

In addition to high temperatures, dry winds and low humidity, officials were concerned about firefighter fatigue after two days of battling the blazes.

In fact, Thursday will be the hottest day of the week, according to the National Weather Service, with forecast highs between 98 and 106.

The cause of the numerous wildfires remained under investigation Thursday, but San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore noted the tinderbox conditions of southern California. Grasses were so dry that setting a fire would take only a few hundred degrees, and a spark from a catalytic converter easily carries 2,500 to 3,000 degrees of heat, Gore said.

“The grass is nothing but kindling for these fires,” he told reporters.

Working in firefighters’ favor Thursday were calmer Santa Ana winds — the dry, hot gusts originating from the desert.

“We’re fortunate today not to have the winds we had,” said San Marcos Fire Chief Brett Van Wey.

About 2,200 homes in San Diego County were without power, officials said.

As homeowners seek to repair their homes or find alternative housing, Sheriff Gore said authorities will be watching for vandalism and price gouging at motels and hardware stores. Prosecutors will file charges against anybody taking advantage of homeowners’ tragedies, Gore said.

San Diego County Supervisor Dianne Jacob said additional air tankers and firefighting helicopters will join the effort.

Firefighters deployed across the county, jumping on every hotspot that flared up.

0siV1wT.jpg

f*cking firenados! (What is a firenado?)

LkiSK6p.jpg

Matthew T. Hall @SDuncovered

This picture of San Diego's fires is something out of a disaster movie

More pictures

Edited by pokemon4ever

GTA3Rockstar

This is just the beginning before the 'big one' comes and rips California from the rest of the USA.

fbeRElG.png

gtamann123

This happens every year. Its hardly becoming news anymore and is just background noise. Quite sad actually

Edited by gtamann123
  • Like 1

I cucked Alex Jones

Remember kids, only you can prevent forest fires.

theadmiral

Wildfires are no joke and we need to take it seriously .

• Like 2

I AM SORRY ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE VIDEO, BUT MY WEBCAM IS ABSOLUTELY RUBBISH.

At least it's nature. Not like the asshats here in Brazil.

Anyway, it is sad.

consequencias-do-desmatamento-3.jpg

a-amazonia-1.jpg

04_06_22_tecnologia_Amazonia.jpg

darthYENIK

Fire season in California used to be in late summer. But with the severe drought here, it's now year long. Every month or so in the past year there has been a fire somewhere. Thankfully the majority have been minor. This one is a big one though, and close to homes. And they say we're getting El Niño conditions this year, which means much dryer in the summer and then much wetter in the winter. We definitely need the rain when it finally comes, but with fires like these the biggest fear is mudslides in those burn areas. This won't be the last big fire of the year, and if we get those severe rains it's like a one two punch of the worst possible conditions. So to me, the fires are bad, but not the real threat. You can see a fire coming, but a lot of the time you can't see a mudslide. Carlsbad is a very hilly area, very susceptible to this.

Sorry if I rambled. :p

Odyseous2040

That's not all they're dealing with!

314703_438984396122636_693426162_n.jpg

That's how you spot the firebugs!

Seriously tho.

I live in the valey of northern California.

I can smell it in the air

This sh*t happens every year.

I believe last years fires were much worse.

Killed 14 firefighters.

This year they will have that sh*t out in no time.

Edited by Odyseous2040

Gnocchi Flip Flops

This is sad. :( I hate these fires, it reminds me of the ones near Austin, TX back in 2011.

Im hearing that this was not a naturally started fire but arson. Thd police have two suspects in custody. If this was the case... then jesus christ wtf have they done??!!

• Like 1

darthYENIK

It was really clear here yesterday (about 50 miles from the fire), I could see downtown LA 30 miles away from a highrise. Today, I want to say visibility is about 2 miles, and it smells of smoke.

Hate wildfires. A few years ago we got a really bad one is LA. during this time I used to live in South Central, which is a good distance from where these fires happen. And the sky was just orange, you could see the grayness of the ashes in the air. Terrible.

It was really clear here yesterday (about 50 miles from the fire), I could see downtown LA 30 miles away from a highrise. Today, I want to say visibility is about 2 miles, and it smells of smoke.

Hate wildfires. A few years ago we got a really bad one is LA. during this time I used to live in South Central, which is a good distance from where these fires happen. And the sky was just orange, you could see the grayness of the ashes in the air. Terrible.

That's kind of creepy.

I don't know how you folks over there just treat all your natural disasters and wildfires like business as usual. Naturally...best of luck to anyone close to the action.

gtamann123

That's kind of creepy.

I don't know how you folks over there just treat all your natural disasters and wildfires like business as usual. Naturally...best of luck to anyone close to the action.

When I was in Colorado in the summer of 2012 we were driving into Colorado Springs from the north one morning during rush hour with the actual flames of the brush fire visible off to the right and the smoke engulfing the the city with almost no visibility. And everyone was just going about their business with no problem. Creepy indeed

darthYENIK

That's kind of creepy.

Like I said though, the fire is 50 miles away (probably more like 70). There is really nothing you can do. The smoke just travels, and it's annoying at best. On top of that, our fire fighting system is awesome. They train year round for this, and departments from all over the state converge and take care of the fire. There are rare cases when the fires last longer that a few days, such as last fall, when one last a few weeks. These disasters also rarely kill or hurt anyone. Homes may be destroyed, but that's pretty rare as well.

But I guess it's all the fabled laid back Californian attitude, as well. We don't panic unless it rains. :p

That's kind of creepy.

Like I said though, the fire is 50 miles away (probably more like 70). There is really nothing you can do. The smoke just travels, and it's annoying at best. On top of that, our fire fighting system is awesome. They train year round for this, and departments from all over the state converge and take care of the fire. There are rare cases when the fires last longer that a few days, such as last fall, when one last a few weeks. These disasters also rarely kill or hurt anyone. Homes may be destroyed, but that's pretty rare as well.

But I guess it's all the fabled laid back Californian attitude, as well. We don't panic unless it rains. :p

I know right? Mudslides are scary as f*ck.

darthYENIK

That's kind of creepy.

I know right? Mudslides are scary as f*ck.Not even the rain that causes mudslides. Which is scary. I'm talking about normal rain. Just look on youtube for "storm watch" news coverage.

Edit:

http://youtu.be/iBlDU8e7om0

Edited by darthYENIK

That's kind of creepy.

I know right? Mudslides are scary as f*ck.Not even the rain that causes mudslides. Which is scary. I'm talking about normal rain. Just look on youtube for "storm watch" news coverage.

You afraid of that perfect storm we're supposed to get everytime it rains for more than 3 days? :p

johnny_zoo

Wow did you see the fire tornados? That's scary. Good thing it can't move across ground.

So how do these things start? I think it's yobs with nothing else to do.

Assholes on the freeway that think its smart to throw cigarette butts out the window.

johnny_zoo

No way a butt is strong enough at that point to start a fire? I thought the ground gets so hot it bursts into flames. That's sounds stupid but I don't know how really.

Its all dead vegetation though. The smallest ember and it'll go up. Then it spreads with the heavy winds.

gtamann123

Yep most of the biggest wildfires are started with just a cigarette butt. Or some guy doesn't put his campfire out fully and leaves a couple ember still smoldering in the fire. Like Darth said that's literally all it takes to set Dead, Dry, Drought stricken vegetation on fire.

RoadRunner71

Yep most of the biggest wildfires are started with just a cigarette butt. Or some guy doesn't put his campfire out fully and leaves a couple ember still smoldering in the fire. Like Darth said that's literally all it takes to set Dead, Dry, Drought stricken vegetation on fire.

In Spain wildfires commonly happen as consequence of uncontrolled stubble burning by farmers...

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.