Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
      4. Frontier Pursuits
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

AiraCobra

Mafia III

Recommended Posts

Commander S
2 hours ago, Jabalous said:

 

There are other videos of the same type, but in a nutshell, the keywords are Immersion, Details and Interactivity.

 

 

I really do hate those kinds of videos - so much of the details are really small nit-picky things that don't make a huge difference when you're actually immersed in the game world and story.

 

I could easily make a video showing all the things Mafia III does better than II - stealth and shooting in general, MGS-style stealth interactivity (being able to shoot out lightbulbs and hide in shaded areas), more interiors (heck, Mafia III beats GTA V on that front...), vehicle customisation, character models, small details like vehicle headlights being more period-authentic, etc. And a lot of those are practical things that have some utility in terms of how you play, too - unlike, say, RDR2's realistic shrinking horse balls... :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jabalous
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Commander S said:

 

 

I really do hate those kinds of videos - so much of the details are really small nit-picky things that don't make a huge difference when you're actually immersed in the game world and story.

 

I could easily make a video showing all the things Mafia III does better than II - stealth and shooting in general, MGS-style stealth interactivity (being able to shoot out lightbulbs and hide in shaded areas), more interiors (heck, Mafia III beats GTA V on that front...), vehicle customisation, character models, small details like vehicle headlights being more period-authentic, etc. And a lot of those are practical things that have some utility in terms of how you play, too - unlike, say, RDR2's realistic shrinking horse balls... :p

It's not nitpicking at all. It clearly shows that Mafia 3 has regressed in terms of immersion, interactivity and overall details compared to its predecessors. Whatever III does better visually is due to being 6 years ahead of the last Mafia title. Mafia™ is known for the use of linear narrative in which all aspects (e.g. time of day, weather, season) are controlled to convey a certain mood that drives the unique cinematic experience. This was abandoned in III in favor of a generic semi-open mission design which revolves around taking over rackets that lead to the elimination of the capo who controls the district. Moreover, The Revenge theme and the unstoppable hulk of a protagonist create a completely different mood to the experience of the grounded and charismatic Mafia character. The opinion that III does not feel or play like a Mafia™ title is widely held by players and original fans of the series. III can be fun on its own, but it also feels like an experience that is inspired by Ubisoft's open-world titles, even in terms of the UI design, and therefore it can fairly be given a different title (maybe The Godfather III?). I'm personally still hopeful that one day we will get a spiritual successor to Mafia 1 and 2.

Edited by Jabalous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trip

@Jabalousthings change.  Remember when the Elder Scrolls series went from a die rolling mechanic to a twitch based mechanic for combat?   I believe that was the 3rd entry in the series.  How about when Wolfenstein went 3D?

 

Remember the first 2 iterations of Grand Theft Auto and when III came around it switched to a 3D game?  Same thing with the Fallout series.

 

Gamers are the bitchiest most hard to please crowd...which will forever baffle me.  Don't make me bust out my "games have scaled up but the cost hasn't" routine.  

 

Not all change works out, sure... but I'm going to keep an open mind because it affords me more games to play enjoy.

 

 

Games, movies, and books there will always be a crowd saying "the new entry sucks", "the last installment was better".  Nostalgia is a rough mistress.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Russo

I still haven't played this game yet.

 

giphy.gif

 

Think I might do this next. I've been listening to reviews less and less these days, and I want to give it a proper go with my own genuine opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trip
4 minutes ago, Billy Russo said:

[...] I want to give it a proper go with my own genuine opinion. 

My man!

That's what it's all about.  

 

In today's connected world where there are actually people with no formal credentials labeled and considered "influencers" we run the risk of losing individualism.   Not that I'm old but it was hip to be an individual when I was younger.  Now it seems if you don't "follow" you run the risk of being ostracised.

 

 

 

And when we talk about the "good" in Mafia why haven't we mentioned the vintage Playboy magazines and the neat way they handle the real music tracks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Russo
1 minute ago, trip said:

My man!

That's what it's all about.  

 

In today's connected world where there are actually people with no formal credentials labeled and considered "influencers" we run the risk of losing individualism.   Not that I'm old but it was hip to be an individual when I was younger.  Now it seems if you don't "follow" you run the risk of being ostracised.

 

 

 

And when we talk about the "good" in Mafia why haven't we mentioned the vintage Playboy magazines and the neat way they handle the real music tracks.

 

Playboy magazines you say?

 

200.gif

 

I've noticed this a lot on Reddit and other places. One guy hates on the game and the rest follow. If you browsed certain places only, you'd believe certain games were terrible and not worth playing. Seen so many games get hated on that I had a ton of fun with, one that comes to mind recently is Days Gone. Still don't know why certain reviewers hated it, but I made my own opinion and loved it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trip
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Billy Russo said:

Playboy magazines you say?

Damn straight.  With all the old school nudes too.  F'real.  Boobs before the days of fake boobs.  

 

When I play games that include side collectables I never get involved.  In Mafia III I find the Playboys and Album covers worth while to collect.  The Playboys for the classic boobs and the album covers add music tracks to the radio stations.

 

*quick story and keep in mind times and thoughts were different.

My folks got divorced in 1979.  But before they got divorced my dad used to hide his Playboys in a place his young son(me) could find so as to ensure I would grow up "straight".  True.

Edited by trip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Russo
27 minutes ago, trip said:

Damn straight.  With all the old school nudes too.  F'real.  Boobs before the days of fake boobs.  

 

When I play games that include side collectables I never get involved.  In Mafia III I find the Playboys and Album covers worth while to collect.  The Playboys for the classic boobs and the album covers add music tracks to the radio stations.

 

*quick story and keep in mind times and thoughts were different.

My folks got divorced in 1979.  But before they got divorced my dad used to hide his Playboys in a place his young son(me) could find so as to ensure I would grow up "straight".  True.

Collectibles that you give you things in-game are cool. I don't have a problem doing those. It's just when games have them for the sake of having them and give you no rewards. Like the Feathers in Assassin's Creed II. That was so tedious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jabalous
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, trip said:

@Jabalousthings change.  Remember when the Elder Scrolls series went from a die rolling mechanic to a twitch based mechanic for combat?   I believe that was the 3rd entry in the series.  How about when Wolfenstein went 3D?

 

Remember the first 2 iterations of Grand Theft Auto and when III came around it switched to a 3D game?  Same thing with the Fallout series.

 

Gamers are the bitchiest most hard to please crowd...which will forever baffle me.  Don't make me bust out my "games have scaled up but the cost hasn't" routine.  

 

Not all change works out, sure... but I'm going to keep an open mind because it affords me more games to play enjoy.

 

 

Games, movies, and books there will always be a crowd saying "the new entry sucks", "the last installment was better".  Nostalgia is a rough mistress.

 

 

 

I don't think it'd make sense to compare technological transitions, such as the the move from 2D to 3D for Grand Theft Auto, to the transition in the writing and direction (creative) of Mafia. R* has maintained the missions design structure and direction of Grand Theft Auto since it turned into 3D in 2001, and Mafia provided a unique and different way to experience an open-world, crime-themed game. Whereas the former is more open and hectic in its missions structure and gameplay, the latter is more grounded, slow-paced, deliberate and with a narrative in which each moment is controlled for the purpose of conveying a certain mood and gameplay experience. This contrast between the two titles provided a variety in the genre and allowed for different experiences and moods when playing one and then trying the other. I'd argue that in terms of creating a specific mood, grounded and deliberate gameplay experience, Redemption 2 is closer to being a true spiritual successor to Mafia 2.

 

Fun to read: Why Mafia 3 fails to capture the magic of its predecessor

Edited by Jabalous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bloodytears1666

Dunno how on PC, but on PS4 mafia lll was really terrible, in blurry view, and glitches, like when you need to reload game to return to work. If not focus on completing everything - game feels more better, fast pacing and alive, but if once to move out from story progression - big open ghost town with really far to reach playboy magazines, if not them, then nothing. Only one car from that is able to tune in base game, what a joke, to hide all legendary cars into DLC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commander S
On 8/20/2019 at 11:49 PM, trip said:

 

And when we talk about the "good" in Mafia why haven't we mentioned the vintage Playboy magazines and the neat way they handle the real music tracks.

 

 

That's something I hope a hypothetical Mafia IV builds on - Mafia III did a really good job of using collectibles to further ground the game in a specific place and time.

 

I liked the wanted posters with the photos of the devs in Mafia II, but the context-free anachronistic nudie pics were just kinda odd - the game ends in 1951, but sure, let's have random naked photos from a magazine that wouldn't exist for another two years (and with many of the pics being from even later still), because ...I've no idea. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

(oh, and limit them to interiors in mission segments, so you have to make a point of ignoring whatever urgent thing is happening at that point in the story to go wandering down every random corridor and back room, if you're trying to go for 100% completion)

 

 

Mafia III? Not only are the issues period-appropriate, but a lot of them have full articles that you can read, including interviews with the likes of Stanley Kubrick and Ralph Nader. And on top of that, you've also got record covers for most (not sure if all) of the licensed radio tracks, similarly-readable issues of Hot Rod magazine, etc. Again, it's such a great way to help immerse the player - it feels all the more like being back in 1968 when you can hear the sounds, read the thoughts, opinions and goings-on of the day, and not just feel like driving through a historical replica of a place years after the fact.


 

If I could make my ideal Mafia IV, I'd go even further, and have more variety - Vogue, Rolling Stone, etc., all with as much material as possible. Likewise, for the radio tracks, try to include as many of the most-requested tracks of the day as possible (licensing issues permitting) - not just obvious retro needle-drops, but what people were actually listening to on the radio at the time. Mafia III already got a lot closer than most GTA-like games in that regard, so I hope that another game (if not Mafia, then another series) will one day pick up that particular ball and run with it even further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
squeezx

Folks just wanted to say that I recently had time to go back to Mafia III and finally play the DLC. I am glad that I did!

The DLC is way more enthralling and story rich than the regular game perhaps with the exception of Stones Unturned which is straight up commando! But signs of the time is a chilling and dark thriller that has Lincolin going to some spooky places to investigate a devil worshiper cult.  The crazy women with knives where way too much fun to just knock down and shotgun. I really had a great time with this one.   I recommend playing Faster baby Faster last as this seems to be the best one with an addition to the main map that is like a Dukes of Hazard playground. Just really having a blast. The graphics look better now than I remember and with the new outfits (tip: use the Jimi Hendrix outfit for Lincolin for faster baby faster dlc) the whole vibe feels like 3 different games.  Honestly some of the best DLC I’ve played in a very very long time. 

8-C1-E1591-108-D-4-DED-A0-C2-39-D4708-A11-E86-BA9-E-09-F8-4-A22-B2-E3-41-A5-D7-B
D12-E165-A-EED5-4-C54-9560-02-F7-FBAEAD0
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpm1

yeah Mafia III is a monument. but it seems the poor optimisation of the first version sent it ti hell. where it was then very difficult to extirpate. but everything is high level in that game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Geisterfaust
On 8/21/2019 at 9:59 PM, Bloodytears1666 said:

Dunno how on PC, but on PS4 mafia lll was really terrible, in blurry view, and glitches, like when you need to reload game to return to work. If not focus on completing everything - game feels more better, fast pacing and alive, but if once to move out from story progression - big open ghost town with really far to reach playboy magazines, if not them, then nothing. Only one car from that is able to tune in base game, what a joke, to hide all legendary cars into DLC.

The deluxe edition with all DLCs is getting on sales from time to time, not sure about PS4 store though. And performance-wise, the game on PC is decent now: looks and runs quite appropriate, but it was much worse and I'm playing it on quite potent hardware with 8700k and 1080 Ti. It was badly optimized on all platforms and runs noticeably worse on XB1 and PS4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bloodytears1666
4 hours ago, hei3enberg said:

The deluxe edition with all DLCs is getting on sales from time to time, not sure about PS4 store though. And performance-wise, the game on PC is decent now: looks and runs quite appropriate, but it was much worse and I'm playing it on quite potent hardware with 8700k and 1080 Ti. It was badly optimized on all platforms and runs noticeably worse on XB1 and PS4.

I'd tell you the fact, that in whole entire life span of Mafia III I have saw a sale on DLC once, right before they gave game for free to Playstation plus members, never again and never before. And current price in store, just the same as I bough full Hitman 2 currently, is it worth, no... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DEALUX
On 8/21/2019 at 1:33 AM, trip said:

@Jabalousthings change.  Remember when the Elder Scrolls series went from a die rolling mechanic to a twitch based mechanic for combat?   I believe that was the 3rd entry in the series.  How about when Wolfenstein went 3D?

 

Remember the first 2 iterations of Grand Theft Auto and when III came around it switched to a 3D game?  Same thing with the Fallout series.

 

Gamers are the bitchiest most hard to please crowd...which will forever baffle me.  Don't make me bust out my "games have scaled up but the cost hasn't" routine.  

 

Not all change works out, sure... but I'm going to keep an open mind because it affords me more games to play enjoy.

 

 

Games, movies, and books there will always be a crowd saying "the new entry sucks", "the last installment was better".  Nostalgia is a rough mistress.

 

 

I would say with GTA, most of the changes from game to game were improvements. I would probably still take GTA IV over San Andreas despite not having nearly as many features. GTA III, IV, and V are my top 3 favorites but most of the others in the series are very close too. The main games have been consistently good IMO.

 

Mafia III is a bit sh*t even as a standalone game. It feels like they've invested too much in the story and forgot about the gameplay. It's quite tedious. Even more tedious than the first game, which had some mundane moments for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commander S

I'd take issue with "forgot about the gameplay", since I think the actual mechanical side of things is terrific. Guns feel good to use, stealth mechanics are ...better than R*'s slow, fumbling attempts, most of the tools you have available are always available, etc. It's not quite MGSV-level intricacy, but I'd still say there are aspectst that put the likes of RDR2 to shame, and it's easily more involved than Mafia II.

 

The problem is more variety and pacing, IMO - and has been pointed out before, that wasn't by design: the game had a troubled development cycle, and so what was meant to be a more varied experience with room to set your own pace wound up as a bunch of repetitive padding. And it's not like other games aren't also repetitive (again, R* stuff has next to no power curve these days - and there's a sh*t-ton of similar filler in your average Ubisoft game, too) - it's just more noticeable when there's no real attempt to dress things up as anything other than 'do the same thing over and over'. If some of the framing had been more varied, I'm sure Mafia III's racket takedown stuff wouldn't have felt quite so repetitive.


Still, that doesn't make it a "sh*t" game from where I'm sitting - flawed, absolutely, but not 'this game sucks'. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DEALUX

That's what I meant by gameplay. The shooting and driving are enjoyable but there's just not that much to keep you interested in the game other than the story. And the story kinda interrupts the gameplay a bit too much, especially early on. I don't want to feel like I'm stuck watching a movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Geisterfaust
On 9/2/2019 at 12:02 AM, Bloodytears1666 said:

I'd tell you the fact, that in whole entire life span of Mafia III I have saw a sale on DLC once, right before they gave game for free to Playstation plus members, never again and never before. And current price in store, just the same as I bough full Hitman 2 currently, is it worth, no... 

That's a real problem then, Sony's greed. I've purchased my Deluxe edition with a 78% discount for around $20 in Russian store. That was a steal and this game is max at $40 territory, definitely not $60. And I've heard about bad console performance too. On PC right now when bought on a discount it's absolutely fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bloodytears1666
14 minutes ago, hei3enberg said:

That's a real problem then, Sony's greed. I've purchased my Deluxe edition with a 78% discount for around $20 in Russian store. That was a steal and this game is max at $40 territory, definitely not $60. And I've heard about bad console performance too. On PC right now when bought on a discount it's absolutely fantastic.

Sony has nothing about it. Sony gave away basic game for free. It's Take Two vision of making things, they fortified on basic game sales, because they were low, but still pushing on DLC, like people are that, seeing unfinished game asset will run to buy DLC years old on full price. To add, Mafia III has costed more than GTA 5 this whole time and still.

As about Sony again, dunno, none games I saw been handled like this, especially when Sony involved in their development. Few weeks ago you could buy RDR2 on half the price of Mafia III alone or with current price of Mafia III season pass.  

Edited by Bloodytears1666

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Geisterfaust
4 minutes ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

Sony has nothing about it. Sony gave away basic game for free. It's Take Two vision of making things, they fortified on basic game sales, because they were low, but still pushing on DLC, like people are that, seeing unfinished game asset will run to buy DLC years old on full price. To add, Mafia III has costed more than GTA 5 this whole time and still.

As about Sony again, dunno, none games I saw been handled like this, especially when Sony involved in their development. Few weeks about you could buy RDR2 on half the price of Mafia III alone and with current price of Mafia III season pass.  

Well, Sony does have something about it, but just a bit. Mostly related with being the only store on the console, but it's general business practice with consoles sadly. 2K is another story, a sad example of today gaming BS especially with NBA series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laker23

The season pass has been discounted heavily in the Europe PSN store. Just yesterday it went on sale again for around £8.

 

Think I bought it for £15 a couple of years ago. Wacky DLC but pretty fun. Just wished it would have been longer.

Edited by Laker23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bloodytears1666
14 hours ago, Laker23 said:

The season pass has been discounted heavily in the Europe PSN store. Just yesterday it went on sale again for around £8.

 

Think I bought it for £15 a couple of years ago. Wacky DLC but pretty fun. Just wished it would have been longer.

Thanks for heads up, gonna look if my place part of the Europe in this case, because sometimes not. Will save the DLC for a another nostalgia attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.