Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. Los Santos Summer Special
      2. The Diamond Casino Heist
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA VI

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. Announcements

    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

CantThinkOfOne2013

Unpopular Opinions Thread

Recommended Posts

Algonquin Assassin

Not related to the discussion above, but I think LCS and VCS were completely unnecessary.

 

Where CTW was at least unique and had something different to offer regarding tone, atmosphere and approach to gameplay I never got that feeling from LCS or VCS and they really just felt like watered down and weaker variants of GTA III and Vice City.

 

Sure they introduced some new features like every GTA does, but how they fit in my personal fandom they range anywhere from being a average/ok with some flash in the pan ideas and exciting as wet sponges slowly drying out protagonists.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Niobium

did you play the PS2 versions? because honestly, the PSP versions are the better versions of the portable GTAs.

 

also, i don't really care much for LCS with its forgettable characters and story. VCS is superior to LCS in every way, even the story.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keano
4 hours ago, Niobium said:

did you play the PS2 versions? because honestly, the PSP versions are the better versions of the portable GTAs.

 

also, i don't really care much for LCS with its forgettable characters and story. VCS is superior to LCS in every way, even the story.

Story wise, VCS was superior but I think LCS just had some fun to it to the point I forgot about the story and just enjoyed the side missions, over the top story missions, and dialogue. It's similar to the Saints Row 2 I think...I didn't sense much of a story but I still enjoy playing it for the side activities and shenanigans. 

 

Agree on the PSP versions being better also. The gameplay for the PS2 is still good, even great, except the slight change in controls from previous games, however what annoyed me was that some of the music was badly ported over such as Kajagoogoo's Too Shy, it's got no lyrics on the PS2 version and some of the Flashback FM songs in LCS seem to have missing lyrics. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
5 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Not related to the discussion above, but I think LCS and VCS were completely unnecessary.

 

Where CTW was at least unique and had something different to offer regarding tone, atmosphere and approach to gameplay I never got that feeling from LCS or VCS and they really just felt like watered down and weaker variants of GTA III and Vice City.

 

Sure they introduced some new features like every GTA does, but how they fit in my personal fandom they range anywhere from being a average/ok with some flash in the pan ideas and exciting as wet sponges slowly drying out protagonists.

Getting to play GTA on a portable device was huge. It was a game changer (literally). That was the point of them. I agree they don't add much in terms of furthering what GTA could do or the storylines etc, and I'll never understand people rating them equal to or better than III or VC, but at the time it was worth making them for the portable aspect. I consider them a fun bonus to the series.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keano
1 hour ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Getting to play GTA on a portable device was huge. It was a game changer (literally). That was the point of them. As far as furthering what GTA could do and the story I agree, and I'll never understand people rating them as equal or better than III or VC, but at the time it was worth making them for the portable aspect. I consider them a fun bonus to the series.

Are they underrated? Absolutely but I have never seen them as equal to or better than GTA III or Vice City and never understood the argument, however, their soundtracks are awesome though. III and VC are still played and talked about across the world, people in my work would talk about them from time time despite not being diehard fans of the series. I've never seen LCS or VCS discussed beyond this website besides the odd Reddit post and one or two people I know have played them but haven't finished them. 

 

While I'm at it, San Andreas will always be bigger than GTA V. Nothing against GTA V but people are still memeing San Andreas and playing it regularly and the soundtrack is constantly talked about also. V may have made a ton of money, but San Andreas is downright iconic and untouchable along with III and VC. 

Edited by Keano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
8 minutes ago, Keano said:

Are they underrated? Absolutely but I have never seen them as equal to or better than GTA III or Vice City and never understood the argument, however, their soundtracks are awesome though. III and VC are still played and talked about across the world, people in my work would talk about them from time time despite not being diehard fans of the series. I've never seen LCS or VCS discussed beyond this website besides the odd Reddit post and one or two people I know have played them but haven't finished them. 

Oh yeah III and VC are usually rated more highly, but I have occasionally seen LCS and VCS rated better than them on here. Or just discussed as if they're equal to the regular console games, which I can't see them as. I don't rate them highly compared to the rest of the GTA series but I do think the value they had as portable GTA games when we'd never had that before can get overlooked. 

 

Saying that I only ever played them on PSP. From what I've seen they look horrible on console (because they weren't originally designed for that I guess). Can't really blame anyone for judging them as poor quality or pointless based on playing them that way.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keano
1 hour ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Oh yeah III and VC are usually rated more highly, but I have occasionally seen LCS and VCS rated better than them on here. Or just discussed as if they're equal to the regular console games, which I can't see them as. I don't rate them highly compared to the rest of the GTA series but I do think the value they had as portable GTA games when we'd never had that before can get overlooked. 

 

Saying that I only ever played them on PSP. From what I've seen they look horrible on console (because they weren't originally designed for that I guess). Can't really blame anyone for judging them as poor quality or pointless based on playing them that way.

Prefer the portable versions myself but apart from some songs being messed up and LCS's map taking a while to load if you're going too fast, they're fine on console. I suppose it's also hard to hear Toni speaking when shooting people or driving also but it's a minor inconvenience for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Algonquin Assassin
56 minutes ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Getting to play GTA on a portable device was huge. It was a game changer (literally). That was the point of them. I agree they don't add much in terms of furthering what GTA could do or the storylines etc, and I'll never understand people rating them equal to or better than III or VC, but at the time it was worth making them for the portable aspect. I consider them a fun bonus to the series.

It’s not like it was the first time the GTA series had ever tried with a handheld before.

 

Granted they were better than previous handheld GTA games which I guess isn’t saying a lot since GTAA is often deemed to be one of the worst GTA games ever made, but besides being able to play a 3D GTA game on the go there’s really nothing about them as games that inspire me as a GTA fan.

 

IMO CTW is still the best handheld GTA ever made and can hold its own even with the main games in the series, but I guarantee way less people have played it due to being released on the Nintendo DS originally and the so called “sh*tty graphics”.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
1 hour ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

It’s not like it was the first time the GTA series had ever tried with a handheld before.

 

Granted they were better than previous handheld GTA games which I guess isn’t saying a lot since GTAA is often deemed to be one of the worst GTA games ever made, but besides being able to play a 3D GTA game on the go there’s really nothing about them as games that inspire me as a GTA fan.

 

IMO CTW is still the best handheld GTA ever made and can hold its own even with the main games in the series, but I guarantee way less people have played it due to being released on the Nintendo DS originally and the so called “sh*tty graphics”.

The PSP was just such a big thing and it was awesome to play a "real" GTA game in the same style as the console games on it. I think it would've been a mistake not to take part in that hype. And the games aren't terrible, I think it was fun to revisit the cities with some new gameplay and backstories. Was worth doing on balance imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AjdarFan

I don't understand why you guys think LCS and VCS somehow has "worse quality" than their console counterparts. They have even more content than their "main" counterparts. The only thing that holds them back is no mo-cap cutscenes on half of the missions. Even their radios were on par with their counterparts, I would argue that VCS can give VC a run for its money. To me, the reason people putting original games higher is because they are more iconic, that means more people played them due to originals being much more accessible across multiple gaming platforms. That, and people played them when they were much younger so there's also a nostalgia factor. Also, these games were released after the much bigger San Andreas, everybody was freakin out about it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
2 hours ago, AjdarFan said:

I don't understand why you guys think LCS and VCS somehow has "worse quality" than their console counterparts. They have even more content than their "main" counterparts. The only thing that holds them back is no mo-cap cutscenes on half of the missions. Even their radios were on par with their counterparts, I would argue that VCS can give VC a run for its money. To me, the reason people putting original games higher is because they are more iconic, that means more people played them due to originals being much more accessible across multiple gaming platforms. That, and people played them when they were much younger so there's also a nostalgia factor. Also, these games were released after the much bigger San Andreas, everybody was freakin out about it.

To me they look bad on console because they seem obviously designed for a different device so the "zoomed in" art quality is poorer and and the icons etc are too big. I also hated how the "business" buildings in VCS looked, it was like having monopoly houses all over the map and took me out of it. In general both games are more fun/silly/arcade and have less realism compared to III or VC. 

 

I think the characters and writing are superior in III and VC. LCS is easily the worst written GTA game with the worst protagonist and Vic Vance is a whole lot of meh. It's clear there wasn't quite as much effort put into them as the "main" games. 

 

I don't think any of this is a terrible thing though. They were bonus games made to play on PSP so I wouldn't expect them to be on the same level. They were fun, added a little backstory to the other games, and I enjoyed playing them. I played them all in my late teens/early twenties, it's not a nostalgia thing. I just don't think they're on the same level nor did they really attempt to be, they kept up with the lots of extra activities thing that was introduced in San Andreas and were innovative in that they could be played on a portable device but they didn't add much else to the series.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RenegadeAngel

I gotta replay VCS someday. The story impressed me quite a bit back then since I didn't expect that kind of quality from a portable game. Judging by the memories, it's definitely on par with the original. Maybe I should just watch all the cutscenes on YouTube to see if it's still as good as I remember it to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gyarados

I kinda wish the 3D era was still canon. I know R* wanted a fresh slate for IV and while that's also what I like about IV in that it's cast is entirely fresh and unique and yeah idk how to connect say 3D era LC with HD LC but still it feels like a shame getting invested in the 3D era games and then they're erased from history so to speak

 

I guess I'm placing too much importance on canon and stuff, in any case didn't V reference the GSF family being at their peak in 1992 IIRC? Might just be a throwaway reference but hey I can still think that maybe a parallel version of San Andreas if not the exact version exists in the HD era so maybe that's some consolation... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
25 minutes ago, Gyarados said:

I kinda wish the 3D era was still canon. I know R* wanted a fresh slate for IV and while that's also what I like about IV in that it's cast is entirely fresh and unique and yeah idk how to connect say 3D era LC with HD LC but still it feels like a shame getting invested in the 3D era games and then they're erased from history so to speak

 

I guess I'm placing too much importance on canon and stuff, in any case didn't V reference the GSF family being at their peak in 1992 IIRC? Might just be a throwaway reference but hey I can still think that maybe a parallel version of San Andreas if not the exact version exists in the HD era so maybe that's some consolation... 

I think the 3D and HD "universes" are more accurately described as parallel than separate since they do share quite a few elements. And even if they are parallel or separate or whatever that doesn't mean they can't both be canon. The events of both are equally canon within the universes they're set in, they can both exist parallel to each other.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grotti Vigilante
4 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

I think the 3D and HD "universes" are more accurately described as parallel than separate since they do share quite a few elements. And even if they are parallel or separate or whatever that doesn't mean they can't both be canon. The events of both are equally canon within the universes they're set in, they can both exist parallel to each other.

Agreed. Perhaps at this point we should refer to the lore of the whole series as the GTA Multiverse since there are technically three different universes - the 2D, 3D and HD Universes - as of today. Eventually I imagine a new Rockstar may want to do another clean slate and have a 4K Universe, and on that basis we could say the likes of Lazlow and Fernando Martinez are multiverse characters with different counterparts. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Senor DeekHead

unpopular opinion: gta lcs had worse vehicle physics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Algonquin Assassin
On 9/18/2020 at 5:16 PM, AjdarFan said:

I don't understand why you guys think LCS and VCS somehow has "worse quality" than their console counterparts. They have even more content than their "main" counterparts. The only thing that holds them back is no mo-cap cutscenes on half of the missions. Even their radios were on par with their counterparts, I would argue that VCS can give VC a run for its money. To me, the reason people putting original games higher is because they are more iconic, that means more people played them due to originals being much more accessible across multiple gaming platforms. That, and people played them when they were much younger so there's also a nostalgia factor. Also, these games were released after the much bigger San Andreas, everybody was freakin out about it.

Uh no.

 

There's like what? A 5 year age difference between GTA III/Vice City and LCS/VCS. That really isn't much of a difference to let nostalgia get in the way at least for me. I was 16 when I first played GTA III and 20 when I played VCS and I can tell I'm not nostalgia blinded. If anything I would've preferred if GTA III and Vice City were ported to the PSP/Vita and just given a freshen up.

 

Soundtracks/tastes in music are extremely subjective and for me Vice City's soundtrack is unrivalled. Of the two I prefer VCS slightly because the empire building is fun (to an extent), but that's about it.  I always used blame San Andreas for my dwindling interest in the series, but now I realise it was LCS/VCS.

 

Thankfully GTA IV course corrected.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Americana

Had they not released them on PlayStation 2 they would be more than fine.

 


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.