3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

CantThinkOfOne2013

Unpopular Opinions Thread

CoolMods
Posted (edited)

Trevor is the worst protoganist ever created.

Radio Los Santos in V is a good radio station.

VC is overrated.

3D Liberty City is better than HD Era Liberty City (i love GTA IV, but i still gotta admit this).

GTA SA is the best gta ever made.

Only good HD ERA Gta's are IV, TLAD, TBOGT.

Edited by CoolMods

Jeansowaty

Okay, I hope nobody will kill me for this (looking at you my GTA IV brothers and sisters), but I believe...

...that Niko's character in the beginning of the game is a bit inconsistent. I'm talking about Niko's morals regarding killing. In Bleed Out he seems to be against killing yet 2 missions later he doesn't have a problem with gunning down random Jamaican goons. Then a bit later he has a big problem with killing one minor Russian thug he barely knows and 2 missions later he doesn't have any problem killing an important Russian criminal (but this can be a bit justified because he's sure that the Mafia won't care about him). As the story progresses though it gets better, he accepts that he's a killer and by the end he tries to stop it.

TheOneLibertonian
Posted (edited)

Okay, I hope nobody will kill me for this (looking at you my GTA IV brothers and sisters), but I believe...

...that Niko's character in the beginning of the game is a bit inconsistent. I'm talking about Niko's morals regarding killing. In Bleed Out he seems to be against killing yet 2 missions later he doesn't have a problem with gunning down random Jamaican goons. Then a bit later he has a big problem with killing one minor Russian thug he barely knows and 2 missions later he doesn't have any problem killing an important Russian criminal (but this can be a bit justified because he's sure that the Mafia won't care about him). As the story progresses though it gets better, he accepts that he's a killer and by the end he tries to stop it.

I feel somewhat in the same boat too. It did sort of bothered me that seemed Niko completely changed his stance on killing without hesitation and didn't really gave much reason to state accepting Jacob's job without doubt. But in regarding Jacob, he might have done it to help his cousin and liking Jacob a lot when first meeting him. Killing Vlad though is a different story though. Niko was clearly seething through anger and to be honest had nothing else to do but kill him. Anyway, he was known to be a hypocrite though. I'll admit it does hinder his character a little bit but in my opinion, it is mostly inconsequential to the story.

Edited by TheOneLibertonian

Dr. Robotnik

Niko can kill Darden on purpose if you want in "Bleed Out", so that part's optional. Niko wasn't sure he'd have to kill anyone in "Jamaican Heat" or "Concrete Jungle"; he was there to provide overwatch in case things went south. Once they did, it just snowballed from there. He didn't feel like killing anyone for Vlad because he can't stand Vlad and doesn't trust him, but he still has the choice to do it anyway. I don't really see any inconsistencies.

Jeansowaty

Okay, you shined some different light on that case. Good arguments there :^:

Wingate167

I'm not a fanboy of any game, I just play the game and evaluate it based on it's own merits.

I*GTA*

Him and Roman's knowledge of English (and Serbian) language is even more inconsistent.

Utopianthumbs

I didn't like the GTA stories games' protagonists all that much. Toni does horrible stuff like blow up an entire district, kill a guy to prove that he's better to his mother, butcher a guy and deliver his remains as food to his shop, and then we're supposed to feel sympathetic when he pleads for respect to his mother or gets cheated by Salvatore? Nah.

As for Vic to go from completely abstaining from anything to do with drugs to building an entire empire based on drugs is somewhat jarring. Also he does it very reluctantly so when you're building his empire you kinda feel like you're being forced by circumstances whereas with Tommy V you actually feel like a criminal kingpin building his empire. I may be biased because VC is my favourite but this is why I don't agree that VCS is better than VC. LCS and VCS are still good games, I just wish their protags were better

CoolMods
Posted (edited)

1. Trevor is garbage, worst protoganist, only dickheads with no taste choose to play as him.

2. Radio Los Santos in GTA V is easily one of the best radios in the game

3. GTA 3 has some no-sense missions

4. Timer in gta 3 is the worst thing ever created next to Trevor

5. VC's map is to small and it's radio stations are lame and corny (except for wildstyle & flash fm).

6. Liberty City (3d era) is a city that should've been featured in more gta's

7. GTA Online is the worst GTA ever created in the planet

8. All Restyled 3D era vehicles to HD look ugly, crappy, ruined their design

9. Banshee in VC is ugly.

10. Swimming in VCS should be without limits (that means you can stay on water infinite like in SA)

11. Claude should have a voice actor will make him gangsta

12. More missions for 8 ball

13. Lugi's sex club should have an interior.

14. Less cash at worthless missions (drive misty for me, luigi's girls).

Edited by CoolMods

eCola

I don't think I would want GTA IV to ever be remastered, and even if that did come to fruition, I don't think I would spend my money on it. I think the game is as fine as it is; the graphics still hold up to this day (at least for me) and they really do fit the gritty atmosphere of Liberty City. But as far as my complaints go, they're mainly about the hideous facial textures that some of the NPCs have.

Mr_Rager

EFLC > Undead Nightmare

jaljax

1. GTA Advance is the worst in the series, but tells an interesting story before the event's of GTA III.

2. I've never had no issue with Claude not speaking.

3. Vice City Stories has a very interesting story because it show's you what it's like to live in the Vance family & many other interesting event's.

I*GTA*

I don't think I would want GTA IV to ever be remastered, and even if that did come to fruition, I don't think I would spend my money on it. I think the game is as fine as it is; the graphics still hold up to this day (at least for me) and they really do fit the gritty atmosphere of Liberty City. But as far as my complaints go, they're mainly about the hideous facial textures that some of the NPCs have.

I prefer to have support patches (system structure (64 bit, etc.), higher resolution (and if I owned any console, backward compatibility)) to useless cash-grab "remasters"; unless built from the ground up, almost always, there's at least one element that stands out in a bad way.

Wingate167

I find it weird that GTA III is the first 3D game made for GTA, but it's also the last game chronologically in the 3D timeline.

gtafaninwest

Cockstar lost themselves

Sinner!
Posted (edited)

I thought Michael was one of the funniest, most well-written & fascinating characters in the series, I just loved his inner conflict & hatred for himself.

Edited by Sinner!

Sentinel Driver

I hate the phantom wedge sale

1. The trailer gets disconnected too easily and it's a bitch to connect again

2. You'll be dodging cars because the wedge is made of paper

3. The drop-off is always at the docks or at the f*cking airport or some other far away sh*tty location

I hate gun running sales in general. They all lack creativity and variety in my opinion. There's only 4 different delivery vehicles with like 6 different sell missions

1. phantom wedge

2. simple insurgent delivery

3. insurgent drop offs with merryweather

4. marshall

5. dune fav (piece of sh*t)

6. extremely rare one with unarmed insurgents, you have to stick close to keep up a radar jammer. Can be only triggered if you have someone in your organisation

Awesom-0

^^ I think that's more suited for the B&M topic in the GTA:O Online section, IMO.

• I actually like the idea of having three playable protagonists, I just think it's poorly implemented here.

• I also like the First person view in GTA:V. It's kinda clunky, but i still like it.

• I've always prefered Los Santos over Liberty City, However i still think both are great maps.

Ondr4H

I choose GTA2 over any 3D era games

But I also choose any 3D era GTA over any GTA from HD era.

Sentinel Driver
On 7/6/2018 at 12:48 AM, Awesom-0 said:

^^ I think that's more suited for the B&M topic in the GTA:O Online section, IMO.

• I actually like the idea of having three playable protagonists, I just think it's poorly implemented here.

• I also like the First person view in GTA:V. It's kinda clunky, but i still like it.

• I've always prefered Los Santos over Liberty City, However i still think both are great maps.

My mistake, I thought I was in the GTA Online unpopular opinions thread

Sinner!

I thought Vice City's narrative & plot was clichéd fairly uninteresting & extremely predictable. 

I mean, for instance, I have my gripes with the narratives of say San Andreas & V but at least they felt imaginative & had some genuinely quite surprising & well-written plot twists.  

Miamivicecity

To be honest I've really never understood anyone who complains about Three Leaf Clover not having planning missions. Actually playing Red Dead Redemption 2 has made realise many of the "robberies" take the Three Leaf Clover approach and don't bother wasting time meandering with "planning" to pad out the mission count since Arthur pretty much plays the same role as Niko. He's there as the muscle. NOT as the planner.

But back to Three Leaf Clover. I couldn't picture playing it with carefully scoping the place out. The point was to show that the McRearies are by no means criminal masterminds and their dysfunctionality led to their downfall. It's the only heist that feels like it has a believable outcome based on the lack of contextual planning.

Think of the Merryweather heist in GTA V for example. We spend so much time planning it out (which the consensus seems to be is some of the most boring parts of the game) and in the end it doesn't matter. We still get f*cked.  For me the first time playing through Three Leaf Clover was amazing because I literally did not know what was going to happen and you can't create a feeling of uncertainty if everything's being put forward on a silver platter.

ThatKyloRenGuy
1 hour ago, Miamivicecity said:

To be honest I've really never understood anyone who complains about Three Leaf Clover not having planning missions. Actually playing Red Dead Redemption 2 has made realise many of the "robberies" take the Three Leaf Clover approach and don't bother wasting time meandering with "planning" to pad out the mission count since Arthur pretty much plays the same role as Niko. He's there as the muscle. NOT as the planner.

But back to Three Leaf Clover. I couldn't picture playing it with carefully scoping the place out. The point was to show that the McRearies are by no means criminal masterminds and their dysfunctionality led to their downfall. It's the only heist that feels like it has a believable outcome based on the lack of contextual planning.

Think of the Merryweather heist in GTA V for example. We spend so much time planning it out (which the consensus seems to be is some of the most boring parts of the game) and in the end it doesn't matter. We still get f*cked.  For me the first time playing through Three Leaf Clover was amazing because I literally did not know what was going to happen and you can't create a feeling of uncertainty if everything's being put forward on a silver platter.

I agree. An unpopular opinion that I have is that I think that the planning missions in GTA V are not completely pointless, but only have a very minimal point, if that makes any sense. I think that the heist missions in GTA V should spend less time planning them out and just simply getting to the heists akin to Three Leaf Clover in GTA IV. I think that all of the heist planning missions should probably be either offscreen by just Lester or done with Michael, Lester, and Trevor. I don’t get why Franklin would be a part of the whole planning thing. Similarly to Niko, he’s there as the muscle that is being used, NOT as the planner.

TheSantader25

-Niko is the most overrated protagonist in GTA history. 

-EFLC>Undead Nightmare

2 hours ago, Miamivicecity said:

Comparing 1899 to 2008-13 is pretty weird. As you saw lack of good planning resulted in a total sh*tfest for Dutch as well in most instances which showed the times of walking blind into a robbery is over even in 1899 .

Also the Merryweather heist is the worst example you can make since it's planned by Trevor. Not Lester.I agree If you KNOW what's gonna happen the heist will be less exciting but that's the Developer's job to hide the unexpected moments from you. A good example is the paleto bay heist which we never knew what the "military hardware" was and it was a total WTF moment when I saw them with that equipment to walk out of the bank. 

if we wanna talk about fillers to increase the mission count , well I believe IV has a LOT more of them in comparison to V.But the setups in V were actually very similar to IV's BIG MAIN Missions in many instances which really shows the difference regarding quality and mission design in these two games.  😉

Edited by TheSantader25

Miamivicecity
13 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Comparing 1899 to 2008-13 is pretty weird. As you saw lack of good planning resulted in a total sh*tfest for Dutch as well in most instances which showed the times of walking blind into a robbery is over even in 1899 .

Also the Merryweather heist is the worst example you can make since it's planned by Trevor. Not Lester.I agree If you KNOW what's gonna happen the heist will be less exciting but that's the Developer's job to hide the unexpected moments from you. A good example is the paleto bay heist which we never knew what the "military hardware" was and it was a total WTF moment when I saw them with that equipment to walk out of the bank. 

if we wanna talk about fillers to increase the mission count , well I believe IV has a LOT more of them in comparison to V.But the setups in V were actually very similar to IV's BIG MAIN Missions in many instances which really shows the difference regarding quality and mission design in these two games.  😉

-What does the year have to do with anything?

-Actually thanks for reminding me (inadvertently nonetheless) why I don't like the Merryweather heist. It's planned by that f*ckwit Trevor.

-I could understand if you were comparing similar set piece missions from both games, but you can't seriously think stealing a getaway car is remotely on the same level as say for example as Diamond's Are A Girl's Friend, Truck Hustle, To Live & Die In Alderney or any other mission that could be classed as a "BIG MAIN" mission? 

TheSantader25
45 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

-What does the year have to do with anything?

-Actually thanks for reminding me (inadvertently nonetheless) why I don't like the Merryweather heist. It's planned by that f*ckwit Trevor.

-I could understand if you were comparing similar set piece missions from both games, but you can't seriously think stealing a getaway car is remotely on the same level as say for example as Diamond's Are A Girl's Friend, Truck Hustle, To Live & Die In Alderney or any other mission that could be classed as a "BIG MAIN" mission? 

-Uhm maybe because the law grows stronger in 2013 in comparison to 1899?You can't possibly believe the methods people use in 1899 to rob a bank can be similar to 2013.Can you? The more advanced the law enforcement became the more complicated it was to take heists and as we saw with RDR2 even in 1899 the previous methods were no longer relevant which led to failure. There was a time you could just walk into a bank and rob it. But that was never 2008 as GTA IV portraits it. That heist in IV made no sense for the time. 

-well that's a nice way to end the argument huh? Guess we call it a conclusion. But you were pretty smart to use the worst f*cking example possible for your statement. 

-Heist setups are the minor missions of GTA V. No cutscene to waste your time for a simple mission. But when you realize how IV handles similar missions... And stretches them like they are some important mission that you need to care about you really do see the difference within the quality. 

In V I actually know this small mission that I'm doing has a good f*cking reason. It's for a heist. But in IV R* drops a half assed cutscene to explain why Niko is now a cheap errand boy that needs to steal a car and try to make sense of it. That's the goddamn difference. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Shadowfennekin

CJ is the worst R* protag

Miamivicecity
1 hour ago, TheSantader25 said:

-Uhm maybe because the law grows stronger in 2013 in comparison to 1899?You can't possibly believe the methods people use in 1899 to rob a bank can be similar to 2013.Can you? The more advanced the law enforcement became the more complicated it was to take heists and as we saw with RDR2 even in 1899 the previous methods were no longer relevant which led to failure. There was a time you could just walk into a bank and rob it. But that was never 2008 as GTA IV portraits it. That heist in IV made no sense for the time. 

-well that's a nice way to end the argument huh? Guess we call it a conclusion. But you were pretty smart to use the worst f*cking example possible for your statement. 

-Heist setups are the minor missions of GTA V. No cutscene to waste your time for a simple mission. But when you realize how IV handles similar missions... And stretches them like they are some important mission that you need to care about you really do see the difference within the quality. 

In V I actually know this small mission that I'm doing has a good f*cking reason. It's for a heist. But in IV R* drops a half assed cutscene to explain why Niko is now a cheap errand boy that needs to steal a car and try to make sense of it. That's the goddamn difference. 

-You're blowing things way out of proportion  You say it doesn't make sense for 2008, but don't explain WHY. You think every criminal plans a robbery/heist like they do in Heat, Ocean's 11 etc irrespective of what year it is? Hah.

-Well ok I guess?

-Now you're just being ridiculous. You were the one trying to compare GTA V's planning missions with and I quote GTA IV's "BIG MAIN" missions. "Easy As Can Be" is just a minor mission in GTA IV and if it didn't have a cutscene you'd be whining why Niko's stealing some car without explanation. 

I never said anything about GTA V's planning missions needing cutscenes so I've got no idea why you've gone off into a angry little tangent.

TheSantader25
17 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

-You're blowing things way out of proportion  You say it doesn't make sense for 2008, but don't explain WHY. You think every criminal plans a robbery/heist like they do in Heat, Ocean's 11 etc irrespective of what year it is? Hah.

-Well ok I guess?

-Now you're just being ridiculous. You were the one trying to compare GTA V's planning missions with and I quote GTA IV's "BIG MAIN" missions. "Easy As Can Be" is just a minor mission in GTA IV and if it didn't have a cutscene you'd be whining why Niko's stealing some car without explanation. 

I never said anything about GTA V's planning missions needing cutscenes so I've got no idea why you've gone off into a angry little tangent.

-I said why. Didn't you see it?Because the law enforcement is more advanced in 2008 . you can't just walk into a bank and rob it in 2008 . it's not 1850 where law has no trained organization. Please explain to me how can 3 men rob a bank in 2008 without any sort of planning. Even Vice City had some sort of planning. I don't want Heat style planning. But I do want a good "plan". Only a bunch of idiots walk into a bank to rob it without any actual planning and leave the rest to whatever happens next like we see in IV. 

-maybe it's not a BIG MAIN mission(Sorry this was a mistake from my part) but You were the one talking about adding missions just to add up the mission "count" in V like we have none of those in IV.So I brought up an example of how IV had missions just to add up to the mission count. The difference is In V I know this setup is for a BIG heist so I'm motivated to do it. But in IV I know it's just another errand mission with minimum value. A mission should either have new gameplay elements or story purpose or progress. Otherwise it's simply a filler.

Also you were the one saying setups and planning is unnecessary. So same as the way you say, wouldn't you be the first to whine where that Submersible or that Tow Truck came from?Or where that train came from? It wouldn't be a problem if for ONCE you started using your logic for these two games EQUALLY. Not just because you love one more than the other. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Miamivicecity
3 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

-I said why. Didn't you see it?Because the law enforcement is more advanced in 2008 . you can't just walk into a bank and rob it in 2008 . it's not 1850 where law has no trained organization. Please explain to me how can 3 men rob a bank in 2008 without any sort of planning. Even Vice City had some sort of planning. I don't want Heat style planning. But I do want a good "plan". Only a bunch of idiots walk into a bank to rob it without any actual planning and leave the rest to whatever happens next like we see in IV. 

-maybe it's not a BIG MAIN mission(Sorry this was a mistake from my part) but You were the one talking about adding missions just to add up the mission "count" in V like we have none of those in IV.So I brought up an example of how IV had missions just to add up to the mission count. The difference is In V I know this setup is for a BIG heist so I'm motivated to do it. But in IV I know it's just another errand mission with minimum value. A mission should either have new gameplay elements or story purpose or progress. Otherwise it's simply a filler.

Also you were the one saying setups and planning is unnecessary. So same as the way you say, wouldn't you be the first to whine where that Submersible or that Tow Truck came from?Or where that train came from? It wouldn't be a problem if for ONCE you started using your logic for these two games EQUALLY. Not just because you love one more than the other. 

-Who cares if the law is more advanced in 2008? You keeping banging on about what f*cking year it is like it's the be all to end all.. Literally the only reason I brought up Red Dead Redemption 2 was to say that I enjoy the "Three Leaf Clover" esque approach to the robberies. I don't care for some bullsh*t history lesson. Also I think you really need to play Three Leaf Clover again.

While there are no planning missions they hardly do it stone cold. The way Gerry arcs up with Niko's involvement suggests any "planning" wasn't supposed to involve him. Packie roped him into it. Even on the way to the bank Packe albeit lays out a very rough plan, but like I said the McRearies aren't criminals masterminds which explains the haphazard approach. If you want to keep bringing up how the year makes the difference I'll just keep running it down. Your choice.

-No. I don't believe that for a second. I think you knew exactly what you were talking about, but back peddled as soon as I questioned it. In any case it doesn't surprise me in the least you would bring up the "filler" missions in GTA IV to defend poor GTA V.  You give the planning missions far more credit than they deserve when really from a gameplay perspective they're nothing special or "quality". I was actually gobsmacked the first time I got a getaway car and had to park it and then I got a "Mission Passed" message. I thought the game glitched as all I did was drive a couple of blocks.

-You know if there's anything I can't tolerate and I'm a fairly chill person it's people putting words into my mouth. I NEVER said that setups and planning are unnecessary NOT ONCE. "The Job" is my second favourite heist in the series and its accompanying planning missions are well done within the context of the game. Hell I'll even throw "Breaking The Bank At Caligua's" a bone and you know how I feel about San Andreas. I don't have a problem with setup/planning as long as it isn't half assed like GTA V where it literally does feel like they're there solely to exist to "pad" it out whether GTA IV is guilty of the same thing or not.