GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

GTA Online is what YOU make it. (Wall of text warning- tl;dr, avoid.)

CarnageRacing00

CarnageRacing00

Yeah, I know that sentiment gets passed around a lot and you're probably tired of hearing it, but the difference between those times and THIS time is that I'm not using it in an arrogant, "quit crying" sort of way - I'm actually hoping to encourage people. While I don't doubt there will be a significant number of people commenting on this thread who have completely missed my point... I still beg of you, please read, and please respond appropriately.

GTA Online is built for chaos. It's a troll haven. Every facet of the game is hinged on giving players the power to be complete douche bags. Normally this wouldn't be such a big deal, but as I've mentioned in other threads, it's the consequence of losing money that creates the entire problem - and even though it's not REAL money, you still spent your time earning it, so what you're really losing when someone kills you is a lot of time and effort.

This isn't going to change.

Rockstar will continue to attempt to balance the game, and it will be a long, arduous process for developer and player alike, but they will never make such drastic alterations to the basic formula that being randomly killed and losing money isn't still a problem. That's because they've already put measures in place to combat against that problem - we just choose not to use them.

So why not just start a private lobby with your friends only, or start a single player session? Strangers can't grief you if they aren't able to access your free roam session, right? That sounds like such a simple solution... so why don't we do it more often?

A) Not enough friends to fill a lobby and make it exciting

That response speaks volumes as to the reason we subject ourselves to the things we hate about GTA Online. What that response is really saying is that GTA Online is best when experienced with other people. Think about it - why play online at all? You have almost the same amount of customization in single player (aside from your character), so why not just stay there? Because it's not the same.

You want to be in the game world with other people. That's what makes it exciting. You like the thrill of not knowing if a gun fight could erupt at any moment. You like the unscripted moments that take place when a complete stranger is waiting around the corner. Play by yourself or with friends, and that thrill is completely gone. Yeah, it sucks hardcore to be on the receiving end of another player's rampage, but turn the tables around and suddenly you're having a ton of fun. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. Those are the terms, and you choose to accept them by logging in.

B) Can't meet new people that way

As stated above, meeting new people is part of the excitement in GTA Online. It keeps things fresh. No AI system in existence can ever encompass the variety of new experiences possible when playing with a new person.

So how do you get around the problem of getting stuck in random griefer lobbies, yet still find ways to meet new people to play with?

You're looking right at it. www.gtaforums.com . We even have our own official crew. There are more than enough of us here to fill several lobbies at once, most times of the day. Start friending each other. Don't just send a friend request, introduce yourself and tell them who you are on the forums. With the number of people on this forum, if we were all on each other's friends lists, we could all still have new and exciting experiences in the game without being limited to the same few people every time we play. And since most of us are on the same page as far as what constitutes griefing and what does not, you'll likely find significantly less griefing going on. Not to mention that if you DO encounter another GTA Forums member being a total dicknose, you can call them out right here for everyone to see, so we all know to avoid/block them, and they will be exiled to the public lobbies.

So what are you waiting for? Start adding people. And don't forget to introduce yourselves!

C) Danger is exciting, we just hate being on the receiving end.

I mentioned above that player rampages suck nuts unless you're the one doing the rampage - and that's true. Take anyone on this forum who has ever complained about a tank griefer or a rooftop sniper, and give them a tank or a sniper nest, and suddenly they'll be enjoying themselves.

Yet, we have so many ways to avoid these situations. Granted, I still believe that Rockstar could make it a LITTLE better (special radar blip for tanks so you know to avoid the area, for example), but still, there's no rule that says you have to stick around after being murdered once, or that you even have to remain in the lobby at all. Hell, just doing a quick job usually dumps you into a fresh lobby once it's over.

But we don't do that. We stick around, we waste thousands of $GTA engaging in street battles. We don't run away from radar blips, we stick around just long enough to see what's going to happen.

Why?

We love the danger. ALL of us. You might not admit it, but you do. You love it when a car pulls up while you're milling about in a store. You love the gun fight that ensues. You love the chaos of it. AS LONG AS YOU'RE THE WINNER IN THE SITUATION.

If you get killed, you hate it. You hate being rolled over because it makes you feel weak, powerless, and small. When another player(s) can essentially hold you down and have their way with you and you're unable to even the odds, you get angry, frustrated, and downright embarrassed.

This is nothing new - it's a part of ALL competitive online games. The biggest difference here being that GTA Online free roam is not segmented the way matches in CoD, for example, are - so once a player pins you down and spreads his ass cheeks over your face, the harassment WILL continue until you manage to get the upper hand, quit the session, or they just get bored.

And that sucks.

But again - turn the tables. Imagine being the guy who was minding his own business when an Adder pulls up and two dudes start unloading bullets into your PV, then blocking the doors to Posonby's so you can't escape, and then lobbing grenades inside - but you manage to kill one with a sniper shot, blow the Adder out of the door with a grenade, and shotgun the other guy, then continually own them, repeatedly, until they go away.

You love that. You will come on GTAforums and tell your story, exclaiming how awesome it was.

So in the end, that element of chaos and unpredictability is what makes GTA Online what it is. You may not admit it, but it's the very reason you play the game at all. I sincerely doubt you would continue playing if ALL you wanted to do was customize your car and get drunk in your apartment - you could easily do that in real life, with much less chance of getting killed by a tank.

The conclusion we need to come to is that complaining about the unfairness of the game doesn't help us at all - it will cause unneeded changes to the game that will likely only make it worse (tank ramming/insurance, anyone?).

What we NEED to do is understand that the game is what we make of it. You don't HAVE to put up with anything you don't like - you have the tools you need to avoid those situations. Find a new session. Hook up with people from the forums. Play alone. You can do any of those things and you won't have the problems you complain about so much... but you WON'T, because you secretly enjoy the danger and the chaos - you just don't enjoy when the danger and chaos is directed at you.

Choose your battles. Either deal with the chaos of a public lobby and understand the experience you'll have when you log into one, or play in a private lobby with people you can (sort of) trust to not be douche bags.

The game, and your experience, is entirely dependent upon the choices you make. So learn to live with your decisions and please, for the benefit of ALL of us, learn the difference between being out skilled, and finding a game-breaking issue.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 11

freedomna

I do not necessarily agree with all your points (nor can I really find your thesis statement to make sure I am understanding what your overall point is), I do like the fact you spent the time to write a well thought argument. These forums need more of that.

• Like 3

CarnageRacing00

I do not necessarily agree with all your points (nor can I really find your thesis statement to make sure I am understanding what your overall point is), I do like the fact you spent the time to write a well thought argument. These forums need more of that.

Thanks. Overall point is this: We subject ourselves to the things we hate about the game because we truthfully ENJOY the danger, we just don't like being on the receiving end of it. We ignore the multitude of options available to us to avoid those situations because we have fun dealing with the danger - until danger starts kicking our asses. We choose that for ourselves, that's not the game's fault, yet we still come on here and talk about how broken or horrible GTA Online is, when we could EASILY fix the issue ourselves by playing it a different way. But again, we will never do that, because deep down, the danger and chaos makes for excitement, and the excitement is what keeps us coming back.

The game is this way because we made it this way. It's not a design problem, it's our nature. Choose an alternative option, or accept the reality of it.

freedomna

Thanks. Overall point is this: We subject ourselves to the things we hate about the game because we truthfully ENJOY the danger, we just don't like being on the receiving end of it. We ignore the multitude of options available to us to avoid those situations because we have fun dealing with the danger - until danger starts kicking our asses. We choose that for ourselves, that's not the game's fault, yet we still come on here and talk about how broken or horrible GTA Online is, when we could EASILY fix the issue ourselves by playing it a different way. But again, we will never do that, because deep down, the danger and chaos makes for excitement, and the excitement is what keeps us coming back.

The game is this way because we made it this way. It's not a design problem, it's our nature. Choose an alternative option, or accept the reality of it.

Now it makes sense. The first half sounded like you were arguing against yourself, hence my confusion... then again I have a wicked migraine.

Edited by freedomna

You like to see homos naked?

That's cool I guess, I'm just not quite into that stuff.

lilmoonpie

Like my user title says, game's great when you're the hammer, sucks when you're the nail.

Freemode is awesome when you're the one delivering the assbeating. Sucks when you're getting your ass beat. So limit your exposure to the bad part - I'll only go in Freemode if I have at least one other trusted member of my crew in there with me, and I'd really, really prefer at least 2. We've had seven before. There's strength in numbers.

But sometimes you still get your ass beat. Then just chalk it up to bad luck and either quit or find something else to do in the game.

If no one I know is playing, I stay safe and sound in my own private room, screw it. I'll sell cars and run missions and races.

The Spook

It's a jungle out there. You either eat, or be eaten. If you can make a guarantee about this game it's that you're going to die. Someone is going to kill you. It's just part of the game and what makes freemode so exciting, as already stated. But at the same time I don't mind rolling solo through LS.

I made friends by kicking much ass in Boneyard Survival and joining this forum. This forum is the whole reason I joined the Queens in the first place. (Wanes <3)

OP drives home a lot of good points, if more people played it smart maybe we wouldn't have so many complaint threads. There ARE ways to avoid the tanks, hackers and violence.

MichiganMuscle77, you'll nowhere trying to bring logic onto this forum. Tried making a similar post 2 or so weeks ago, and while most people agreed with the points I made, others made it their point to argue just for the sake of arguing. This forum is a reflection of the community as a whole, chaotic, irrational and unreasonable. There are some bright spots here and there, so few and far between it doesn't even matter.

As for your point, I agree...GTAO is what you make of it. There is no right or wrong way to play. The problem is there's a HUGE gray area in that statement. Someone who wants to be a troll, dickhead, douchebag or griefer can do so with virtually no consequence aside from getting reported. And how many people actually take the time to report another user who is being disruptive? At this point, I've accepted that the game is what it is, and it's not going to change. You either role with it and take the bad with the good of open sessions, or you stay secluded in your invite online/crew sessions. Me personally, every so often I do like to go into a public session and fight it out with other users. I actually find myself doing it more now that I have two high level characters, a sh*t ton of cash and nothing else to do because I've done just about everything else there is to do.

And I'm not alone. There are a LOT of people who are in my position. We're high level, we have lots of cash, and lots of time on our hands because there's nothing on the game that entertains us anymore. When that happens, most people (myself included) resort to looking for open world conflict. Those people caught in the crossfire unfortunately have to deal with it with no recourse aside from either getting sucked into the freemode fighting tornado, or leave the session. I'm not a griefer myself, more an enforcer. I look for the person causing the most trouble in a session, and hunt them down with no impunity. Usually, other people see I'm beating up the guy who's being the biggest dick, and they join in on the ass kicking. A couple minutes later, said dick has left the session...and it's on to the next hunt. That's how my freemode sessions usually go.

Edited by Oz70NYC
  • Like 4

CarnageRacing00

MichiganMuscle77, you'll nowhere trying to bring logic onto this forum. Tried making a similar post 2 or so weeks ago, and while most people agreed with the points I made, others made it their point to argue just for the sake of arguing. This forum is a reflection of the community as a whole, chaotic, irrational and unreasonable. There are some bright spots here and there, so few and far between it doesn't even matter.

As for your point, I agree...GTAO is what you make of it. There is no right or wrong way to play. The problem is there's a HUGE gray area in that statement. Someone who wants to be a troll, dickhead, douchebag or griefer can do so with virtually no consequence aside from getting reported. And how many people actually take the time to report another user who is being disruptive? At this point, I've accepted that the game is what it is, and it's not going to change. You either role with it and take the bad with the good of open sessions, or you stay secluded in your invite online/crew sessions. Me personally, every so often I do like to go into a public session and fight it out with other users. I actually find myself doing it more now that I have two high level characters, a sh*t ton of cash and nothing else to do because I've done just about everything else there is to do.

And I'm not alone. There are a LOT of people who are in my position. We're high level, we have lots of cash, and lots of time on our hands because there's nothing on the game that entertains us anymore. When that happens, most people (myself included) resort to looking for open world conflict. Those people caught in the crossfire unfortunately have to deal with it with no recourse aside from either getting sucked into the freemode fighting tornado, or leave the session. I'm not a griefer myself, more an enforcer. I look for the person causing the most trouble in a session, and hunt them down with no impunity. Usually, other people see I'm beating up the guy who's being the biggest dick, and they join in on the ass kicking. A couple minutes later, said dick has left the session...and it's on to the next hunt. That's how my freemode sessions usually go.

I love that you described it as a tornado - that's a very good way to put it, lol... I've been sucked up in it enough times to know. Minding my own business, get sniper by one out of a group of players duking it out a block away... spend the next half and hour, $50,000 and earn a few bad sports along the way just trying to find satisfactory revenge.

I do my best to avoid that sort of thing now but once, it was all I COULD do, Didn't have a fast enough car to get away, haha

Omnifarious

I haven't read the OP yet; but yesterday I used the taxi feature for the first time in months. It was fun.

CarnageRacing00

I haven't read the OP yet; but yesterday I used the taxi feature for the first time in months. It was fun.

You know, I think Taxi's would be awesome and used more often if they were completely invulnerable. Like, cannot be smashed, cannot be shot, will clip through obstacles so nobody can block the road, etc... I'd use it all the time just to take pictures and watch chaos from a safe location, if it worked that way.

I've often thought about attempting to buy a Stretch and using it to chauffeur players around... but I know nobody would let me do that.

I don't shy away from combat if it comes my way. In fact, when I see another user coming my way fast, that's what I'm expecting. Wasn't always like that. From levels 1-40 I'll say, I optimistically let players approach hoping they're friendly. These days, if you're anywhere near me and I don't like how you're approaching, you're dead. It shouldn't be like that, but this game enables and actually encourages savage behavior. So I do what I must to thin the population of animals when it comes to it.

A session I was in earlier today serves as perfect example. Joined 2 crew mates in an open session. We were cruising around looking for good photo op spots, when 2 other users came in close. Me being me, I pinned my ears back and got read for war, but they were friendly. They pulled up slow, got out of their cars with no weapons drawn and saluted, pretty much the universal "I come in peace" gesture. So the 5 of us spend the next 20 minutes riding around the made, taking pics, killin' cops and peds and having a good time. Soon 5 turned into 7, as 2 more randoms joined us. Pretty much an impromptu car meet for almost 45 minutes...until "that one guy" joins the session. Pulls up where we all are in Jester and opens fire on one of the randoms, killing him. I immediately whip out my trusty grenade launcher, and send his ass to a fiery grave. But the moment was ruined. 2 of the others left the area, one of my crew mates left the session soon after, and I spent the next 10 minutes with the guy who was initially killed taking Jester boy to the woodshed. That's all it takes to ruin the experience.

But on the other side of the coin, we were in an open session...so such a thing is expected to happen. But why? Because again...the game promotes that kind of behavior. "There's a bunch of users over there having a good time, let me go ruin it for everyone...LULZ!!!" As much as a dick move as it is to do in the 1st place...it's not "wrong" in the structure of GTAO. And that's in a nutshell the gray area GTAO is in a whole really.

theNGclan

tl;dr: GTA Online is what you make it.

Your post may as well be considered spam.

slowburn29

Nah. people dont want to br preached at and its not the reason they came to the forums, to read a book about a pep talk

CarnageRacing00

Nah. people dont want to br preached at and its not the reason they came to the forums, to read a book about a pep talk

Yet here you are in the thread, despite the title that should have warned you away.

Curiously similar to how people complain about GTA but still play it every day.

Maybe I'm onto something after all... You might actually find my post interesting considering how closely you resemble the type of person I wrote it about.

freedomna

These forums are for discussing Grand Theft Auto Online and sometimes these discussions require more than two sentences, and these forums need more discussions (hence the sub-title General Discussion) and less over used memes. I do also hope that you do not consider the OP to be as long as a book, I have read Pat the Bunny books that are shorter.

Edited by freedomna

GranSnake

Great observations, well thought out and written. Playing with a solid crew with mics is loads more fun, because you get the social aspects of team work and still some great gun fights.

You really can't grief 8 people who know how to play the game at once.

Your post, and some of these solid replies, make me wonder if this indeed GTAF or I'm in a different place.

§†range

Well its pretty simple as op stated. Dont go near the fire if you dont like getting burned. I chill in invite and crew sessions and online is as peaceful as it can get. I dont undesrstand players, at least adult players, that engage in battles with children online.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen

Edited by waters

CarimboHanky

10/10 would read again...

i agree!

at the end of the day, gtao could be as good, bad, funny or boring as you make it!

Da_WickedJester

Even though it is in our Nature. We are also born out of love not hate. So we all have a choice whether or not to create conflict with one another.

TreFacTor

Great post. I wish more people realized the true nature of the game and either prepare for the chaos or play with onnly trusted friends...it can be a peaceful day or an all out war....get in where you fit in.

Edited by TreFacTor

xoC18H21NO3xo

Seriously, all you need on PSN to have fun on GTAV Online is me and a microphone.