GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Playing Missions with Randoms

Biohazard Abyss

Biohazard Abyss

It may seem strange to some, but I actually enjoy playing missions with randoms more than with friends/crew members. I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same. Why do I enjoy it more you ask? There's more entertainment in completing a mission with people you don't know, because you don't know how they are going to act. There's a probability that you can end up encountering a mission guru, or you might just encounter the typical troll that blows up teammates's PVs.

One of the reasons why this game is dead to me is the inclusion of Rooftop Rumble in the mission list, eliminating most of the mission variety with randoms. I used to love jumping from mission to mission, encountering new players and especially observing the different approaches they take to missions. For example, Coveted may be a boring mission but I always like to see how others handle it. Some go straight to the Granger, like myself and head down the cove while others choose to lay back and snipe everyone else. It's even interesting to see their choice of weaponry in different situations, so you might be able to learn something from someone you don't know.

Playing with friends is still fun, but nine times out of ten, you already know how they are going to act. Then the missions just feel like routines, there being no wildcards factored into them. Sure you can encounter randoms that ruin the whole experience for you, but that's the thrill of joining quick job missions. GTAOnline quick contact mission used to be like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get (you should feel ashamed if you don't know where that's from). But now every chocolate in the goddamn box is Rooftop Rumble flavored. Anyway, was just wondering if anyone shares the same opinion as myself. I know some people avoid randoms entirely in fear that they will mess up the mission. I say it's just a game, and you should really attempt to broaden your horizons. You can meet some cool people on the way too.

• Like 3
klZZFxG.png

Silver_Wolf

@Biohazzard Abyss I share your views on playing with randoms, I quite like playing with

randoms and seeing how they do the mission and as you say might learn somthing new from

them as a result.

Have made quite a few new PSN friends this way from across the world.

I have only encountered one "douche" when playing Landing Gear who decided to grab the

Buzzard and cause everyone else to die because he was either a bad pilot or intentionally

trying to hit us, I kicked him on the restart along with a friend's vote.

Have to say that those I have played with usually then stick around for a couple more

missions before moving on.

Edited by tails_prower_2040
  • Like 1

Tabula Rasa

I still bounce around all the high paying missions with random's, I usually start with Rooftop Rumble though..and I even throw in a survival here and there; if and only if I can tolerate their company otherwise I find new ones. I love finding people who are all about having fun but playing smart, I have my own boring super fast methods for every mission at this point so I like to keep things fresh.

I kind of dislike when I get into a mission with younglings and they keep yelling about some old as hail way to finish a mission in twenty minutes and I'm just like SeeeYA, mission success

Biohazard Abyss

@Biohazzard Abyss I share your views on playing with randoms, I quite like playing with

randoms and seeing how they do the mission and as you say might learn somthing new from

them as a result.

Yeah I learned a safe approach in Chemical Extraction from a random who drove the van. He taught me that the Patriots after taking the van can be completely avoided simply by scaling the hills on the left, avoiding the road entirely.

I have my own boring super fast methods for every mission at this point so I like to keep things fresh.

Yeah me too, and I usually execute these methods when playing with friends because we're all mostly in it for the RP and $$$, so it gets quite repetitive. Although I do hate randoms who get upset at you for making mistakes. I remember destroying the documents on Rooftop Rumble by accident so when we restarted this dude tried to run me over with his Adder. I ended up destroying his Adder, taking the documents, and driving all the way up to Paleto Bay, lol.

klZZFxG.png

Agree OP - It's easy to fall into a pattern with crew/friends of playing the same missions, in the same way each time. To the point where communication just stops without it being concious, as everyone just knows - "Yeah, OK, this is where I go and kill X, and that guy grabs the Y objective..." and it becomes... auto-pilot.

That's all fine if you're just farming RP and cash, but the randomness of playing with people you don't know, who may have never done that mission before, might not know how to land the plane, or someone who is a total Rambo... it's chaos but it's fun! :D

I think you've got the best of both worlds as you can play with randoms or friends/crew. Unfortunately none of my friends are gamers so I'm always playing with randoms.

Yeah, playing with randoms is great. Some of the sh*t they do is hilarious, even if we have to restart. I am particularly fond of carrying the boat to the drop-off is some missions, people seem to get a kick out of that lol.

It's awesome when they stay in for all missions, instead of leaving and going straight to RR because we normally play for at least an hour, and I usually care more about if my teammates survive the mission. Like in Chemical Extraction where a guy gets in the van and I die, I'm usually like

• Like 1

CheaterMcCheat

I only invite below level 50's to play RR with me. Sometimes they annoy me but sometimes they suprise me and they appreciate the cash more than most people.

Biohazard Abyss

Agree OP - It's easy to fall into a pattern with crew/friends of playing the same missions, in the same way each time. To the point where communication just stops without it being concious, as everyone just knows - "Yeah, OK, this is where I go and kill X, and that guy grabs the Y objective..." and it becomes... auto-pilot.

That's all fine if you're just farming RP and cash, but the randomness of playing with people you don't know, who may have never done that mission before, might not know how to land the plane, or someone who is a total Rambo... it's chaos but it's fun! :D

Cooperative Chaos! :colgate:

It's also pretty awesome to have to put your trust in randoms like people operating the Buzzards on Landing Gear.

I think you've got the best of both worlds as you can play with randoms or friends/crew. Unfortunately none of my friends are gamers so I'm always playing with randoms.

Everyone I play with is from GTAForums. Sounds like you need to join a crew, dude!

klZZFxG.png

Yeah I learned a safe approach in Chemical Extraction from a random who drove the van. He taught me that the Patriots after taking the van can be completely avoided simply by scaling the hills on the left, avoiding the road entirely.

Cheers for that - I hadn't realised that was the case. Similar with Chopper Tail (also something I learnt from a random); drive straight through the fence, down into the gulley and under the tunnel to your left when you collect the Granger and you don't get chased. And in On Maneuvers, if you fly the Annihilator round the north side of Chilliad the lazer just crashes into the mountain, while the two buzzards aren't quite quick enough to get you before you land at the airfield.

Those sort of tips are the reason I love doing missions with randoms. Shame you get booted so often because people don't have a clue about turning off matchmaking.

• Like 1

Tabula Rasa

@Biohazard

"Don't be afraid to fail." - Arnold Schwarzenegger,,...an avid gamer as we all know.

He goes by Aesthetic here.

If a mistake is accidental nobody should be phased, seasoned players know its not a big deal at all. If somebody gets mad at you I would just laugh it off; like How long is the longest mission..not long. I wouldn't play with anyone who can't keep it together because of a mess up, its all about the journey and the fun. I don't consider anything a grind until someone literally says it, than I'm like oh okay gun her to 88 and keep it tight, lets talk methods.

Edited by Tabula Rasa

Biohazard Abyss

Cheers for that - I hadn't realised that was the case. Similar with Chopper Tail (also something I learnt from a random); drive straight through the fence, down into the gulley and under the tunnel to your left when you collect the Granger and you don't get chased. And in On Maneuvers, if you fly the Annihilator round the north side of Chilliad the lazer just crashes into the mountain, while the two buzzards aren't quite quick enough to get you before you land at the airfield.

Those sort of tips are the reason I love doing missions with randoms. Shame you get booted so often because people don't have a clue about turning off matchmaking.

Never knew that about On Maneuvers. That mission can be a complete pain because of the lazer.

Even when playing with friends, if randoms join our lobby I'll never kick them. Does annoy me when people don't turn off matchmaking though. I've heard that people join anyway sometimes, even when it is set to closed, but I have never experienced that in my 248 levels of GTA Online. I'll believe it when I see it.

klZZFxG.png

Forrest Gump!

On topic, I agree playing missions with randoms is pretty fun, in my case that happens specially often if they are newbies that try to cooperate, they even walk sometimes and take it so seriously with covers or silent approaches (that we all know are useless in GTAO), which forces me to do the same, and feels quite refreshing to be honest.

Edit. I meant stealthy approaches.

Edited by miaumiau1

Nothing quite beats, for me, the silliness of playing Landing Strip with some n00bs, and as you parachute down towards the runway, you count the guys along with you... and realise they ALL jumped out and no bugger is flying the plane :D

That's happened more times than I can remember, lol

SuperJude™

Don't know about *more* than friends and crew but seeing as how about 80 of my 87 person crew doesn't play regularly, I do end up playing the majority of my missions with randoms.

I have just about always had positive experiences, Low levels tend to be very thankful for the $$ and RP. Higher levels appreciate people who know how to do each mission properly.

I've met a bunch of really cool people lately this way actually.

Yes, I too love the randomness. Hosting missions for randoms was almost all I did yesterday. As stated above you never know what those other players are gonna do.

One RR run: Low level makes comment on my level 215, all others are under 50. I spawn on the freeway overpass above everyone else, fire one shot and traffic goes apesh!t and runs me down. Respawn in the middle of the street, gunfire spooks drivers, I get run down again and we're out of lives. One troll runs off with the case and leaves the game while I am stuck in the broken post-mortem camera so I can't even spectate to see whats going on and maybe help. Lowbies find the case and deliver finally. It was the first time in a long time it took more than 3 mins to do and my first time being trolled on it, yay new experiences.

After that I got put in a lobby with a brand new level 1 and no one else. I just chained high level missions and got them to level 15 before they left.

Edited by JiNX77

Even when playing with friends, if randoms join our lobby I'll never kick them. Does annoy me when people don't turn off matchmaking though. I've heard that people join anyway sometimes, even when it is set to closed, but I have never experienced that in my 248 levels of GTA Online. I'll believe it when I see it.

People will join if you wait to close matchmaking in the mission lobby. If you have your personal options set to closed ( right above your spawn location setting) No one will ever even be invited. 280 levels and still going...

I play missions with Randoms all the time, I only solo a few missions with my Buzzard. everything I know about completing missions I know from watching a random do it first. It's a lot of fun when you find a good group and just keep doing them together.

Samuel Howitzer

I feel jealous. Y'all got the good randoms and I get the bad ones and trolls. =(

I agree with you.
I just about strictly play missions with randoms, playing with friends just feels MEH and lacks excitement.
As much as I hate being griefed, the constant paranoia of getting my PV stickied by a douche lord makes the mission all the more exciting, lol.

I feel jealous. Y'all got the good randoms and I get the bad ones and trolls. =(

Oh trust me, we all get our share of trolls!

I've made a lot of friends this way. There is the occasional asshole that will shoot me in the back after we spawn in freeroam, then steal my car and run away, but it's all good.

Yeah, the bad runs are OK because you're kinda expecting things to go wrong and the good ones are fun 'cause it's surprising when things go so well.

One observation about joining random missions via the phone - the earlier in the day it is (Eastern time), the more likely you'll get something besides Rooftop Rumble. You'll still get RR 9 out of 10 times, but there's that 1 time ... at night, it's all Rooftop, all the time.

And if you know you're going to go on a random mission jag, start a private or crew-only room so you respawn after missions back in your comfy private room. I start a room, sell a car. Write down time I sold the car. Then play random missions from the phone until time to sell another car, sell another car. Then I usually knock off, or sometimes I'll repeat the process.

Edited by lilmoonpie

A big reason why I avoid playing with friends is quite often you end up doing what they wanna do instead of doing what you wanna do. When playing with friends you get stuck in a routine and do exactly the same thing over and over and becomes quite difficult to break that. Quite often people just go on the console to socialize, they don't care what they are doing. You end up waiting for their friends to come online and you halt your gaming, then you realize you just nothing for the past 30 minutes waiting. Me when I jump on my console I just wanna get on with a game and I don't care who I end up playing with. I feel your complaints, I hadn't played for 6 weeks and last night I join mission and all I get is RR and everytime I decide to carry on with this repetitive mission they just back out after mission completed cos all there interested in is the grind.

I'm the same way when it comes to friends - all they wanna do, too, is play Rooftop Rumble, and I'd rather play with randoms because it's infinitely more interesting. One friend and I can ace it every time using the same formula, which gets boring, and another friend pisses me off because I constantly have to tell him "no more explosives" after we're getting close to killing the last guy.

While several friends were dicking around in a crew room last night, i'm in another private room doing RR with randoms via the phone. I can't stand too much mindless dicking around in crew rooms.