4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

PatrickJr.

Official GTAV Whine and Complain Thread

TheSantader25
8 hours ago, Miamivicecity said:

After playing so much of Red Dead Redemption 2 I have to wonder something what's the damn point of "hunting" in GTA V? Ok clearly it's because Cletus offers Trevor another an avenue of income to pursue, but the thing is the pay's so sh*t and it's not that long before you start rolling around in cash from heists it has a no point as a way of making money.

But from a gameplay perspective it sucks. For one thing you can only do it from ONE area on the whole map and it's not something you can just do whenever you feel like, like in both of the Red Dead games. I could understand if it was going to be some kind of competitive sport/recreational activity, but it's like they ripped the guts of the hunting in Red Dead Redemption and coughed this up.

It's just minor mechanic. It's basically the debut of hunting in GTA. The main point is that R* wanted to bring wildlife to the series. And I'm sure people would moan why they couldn't hunt these animals therefore R* threw a half assed hunting mechanic there as well. Hunting doesn't seem to belong in GTA anyway but the wildlife is still needed IMO which brings us to a contrast. I doubt you'll ever see deep hunting mechanics in the series like RDR, RDR2(Inb4 R* proves me wrong with GTA 6)

Edited by TheSantader25

Dryspace
12 hours ago, Miamivicecity said:

After playing so much of Red Dead Redemption 2 I have to wonder something what's the damn point of "hunting" in GTA V?

But from a gameplay perspective it sucks. For one thing you can only do it from ONE area on the whole map and it's not something you can just do whenever you feel like, like in both of the Red Dead games.

Yeah, I've said before that the world that Rockstar created is amazing--as are the characters that inhabit it and the crazy things that they do and say to each other--but what you can do in the world, and with the world, and to the world is profoundly limited, in my view.

Apparently the real gameplay opportunities were relegated to GTA:O.

TheSantader25
3 hours ago, Dryspace said:

Yeah, I've said before that the world that Rockstar created is amazing--as are the characters that inhabit it and the crazy things that they do and say to each other--but what you can do in the world, and with the world, and to the world is profoundly limited, in my view.

Apparently the real gameplay opportunities were relegated to GTA:O.

Unfortunately Wildlife (Specifically which is the point here) doesn't even exist in Online. 

*LSUR has been added to SP. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Dryspace
2 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Unfortunately Wildlife (Specifically which is the point here) doesn't even exist in Online.

That's interesting. I've never been online for even one second. I guess even if it appealed to me, I have been thoroughly scared away by stories of cash-dumps and subsequent auto-bans.

I was just responding to the claim that hunting is present, but not really fleshed out and more or less contributing nothing essential, because I feel that the core gameplay in general does not come close to matching the level of aspects like the world, atmosphere, characterization, dialogue, and story.

TheSantader25
5 hours ago, Dryspace said:

That's interesting. I've never been online for even one second. I guess even if it appealed to me, I have been thoroughly scared away by stories of cash-dumps and subsequent auto-bans.

I was just responding to the claim that hunting is present, but not really fleshed out and more or less contributing nothing essential, because I feel that the core gameplay in general does not come close to matching the level of aspects like the world, atmosphere, characterization, dialogue, and story.

So what your suggestions to enhance the core gameplay? 

Dryspace
18 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

So what your suggestions to enhance the core gameplay? 

I think I've offered a few ideas here and there since I started posting on this site, but I don't think this is a subject that is worth someone like me going into detail about. What I mean is that I could start describing what I thought would have made for better gameplay in GTA V, but I imagine that many traditional fans of the GTA series would consider me to be describing a fundamentally different type of game.

So while I could make suggestions here and there, I'm fine with assuming that the core gameplay is more or less the way it's "supposed to be"--GTA V is the only GTA game I've played so far, after all--and wait until I've played earlier and/or later games before developing a stronger opinion about what should be done. After all, if I were a chef, I might have definite ideas on how a restaurant could make its chicken cacciatore better, but I don't need to be a chef to know that it's not great.

A game and all of its aspects is like a chain and its links. Unfortunately, one aspect of a game that is truly terrible or broken is enough to make an entire game unplayable, even if every other aspect is top-notch. What matters the most for me is that the gameplay of GTA V (what there is of it, anyway!) is not so poor as to ruin the game for me and cause me to miss out on all of the other great aspects.

TheSantader25

I think I've offered a few ideas here and there since I started posting on this site, but I don't think this is a subject that is worth someone like me going into detail about. What I mean is that I could start describing what I thought would have made for better gameplay in GTA V, but I imagine that many traditional fans of the GTA series would consider me to be describing a fundamentally different type of game.

So while I could make suggestions here and there, I'm fine with assuming that the core gameplay is more or less the way it's "supposed to be"--GTA V is the only GTA game I've played so far, after all--and wait until I've played earlier and/or later games before developing a stronger opinion about what should be done. After all, if I were a chef, I might have definite ideas on how a restaurant could make its chicken cacciatore better, but I don't need to be a chef to know that it's not great.

A game and all of its aspects is like a chain and its links. Unfortunately, one aspect of a game that is truly terrible or broken is enough to make an entire game unplayable, even if every other aspect is top-notch. What matters the most for me is that the gameplay of GTA V (what there is of it, anyway!) is not so poor as to ruin the game for me and cause me to miss out on all of the other great aspects.

As a GTA I think the gameplay was as good as it could have been for it's time but I have a pretty long wishlist for the next game. I highly recommend you play SA and IV. you would understand many conflicts among the fans and also how R* played with different ideas in these two games. Though playing SA could be a bit harder since it's older. 

Edited by TheSantader25

American Venom
12 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

As a GTA I think the gameplay was as good as it could have been for it's time but I have a pretty long wishlist for the next game. I highly recommend you play SA and IV. you would understand many conflicts among the fans and also how R* played with different ideas in these two games. Though playing SA could be a bit harder since it's older. 

Dude if he plays GTA IV first I doubt he'd want to play old and crummy San Andreas with a bitch protagonist.👍😜

Jokes aside yes play them. It's never too late to play the other GTAs.

HelloMyNameIsHuman

I would be very interested in hearing what people think of the old games who only came in to the series during GTA V.

TheSantader25
3 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

Dude if he plays GTA IV first I doubt he'd want to play old and crummy San Andreas with a bitch protagonist.👍😜

Jokes aside yes play them. It's never too late to play the other GTAs.

Nah I actually recommend him play IV first since SA seems like a sequel and an improvement despite being older. 😉

American Venom
3 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

Nah I actually recommend him play IV first since SA seems like a sequel and an improvement despite being older. 😉

I'll pay that even if it's completely wrong.😉

Dryspace
16 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

I highly recommend you play SA and IV. you would understand many conflicts among the fans and also how R* played with different ideas in these two games.

I assure you I very much want to play the earlier games, particularly San Andreas, since I've heard so many good things about it. I'm willing to try each one, but I've heard bad things about the PC ports, from poor performance to missing music.

I guess I could take a chance on the Steam versions and wait until the Grand Theft Auto Collection is on sale, which includes GTA3, VC, SA, GTA4, and EfLC. If a game doesn't have the original soundtrack I'm not going to want to play it, though. The only option then would be a hard copy.

Edited by Dryspace

Ondr4H

Steam is worst edition of all...

Rather found 1.0 and use silent patches and graphic extensions, that looks like graphic from PS2.

You wil never regret this...

ATP2555
On 12/9/2018 at 10:59 AM, DirtCheap said:

The whole thing about Trevor showing up suddenly with a sniper in The Wrap Up makes absolutely no sense.

Just a few missions ago, we witnessed Trevor realize the truth after 9 years and almost kills Michael after witnessing his betrayal.

Yes, you could say that Trevor showed up because he was interested in the idea of robbing the Union Depository and needed Michael alive to commit this heist, but what makes no sense to me is that Trevor manages to show up exactly where Michael is and save him just when he's cornered by a Buzzard. Why'd Trevor wait for that long to make his entrance? And why does he not show up during the Bureau Raid, where Michael is in a far more hostile environment? 

What's more weird is how quickly Trevor trusts Michael, even after his horrible betrayal, after the credits roll.

I agree. A lot of things don't make sense in that mission. As I pointed out previously, it's a three-way battle between the IAA, FIB, and Merryweather, but it looks like they're all trying to kill only you.

Dryspace
40 minutes ago, Ondr4H said:

Steam is worst edition of all...

That's exactly what I was afraid of, and why I hadn't purchased any of the games yet. But I'm not willing to spend a bunch of money buying boxed copies on eBay.

I'll say this: Usually video games are compared to movies for all the wrong reasons, but old movies are given a thousand times more respect and attention by the owners than old video games. It's a shame, really.

Edited by Dryspace

HelloMyNameIsHuman

I assure you I very much want to play the earlier games, particularly San Andreas, since I've heard so many good things about it. I'm willing to try each one, but I've heard bad things about the PC ports, from poor performance to missing music.

I guess I could take a chance on the Steam versions and wait until the Grand Theft Auto Collection is on sale, which includes GTA3, VC, SA, GTA4, and EfLC. If a game doesn't have the original soundtrack I'm not going to want to play it, though. The only option then would be a hard copy.

When IV first came out, they said it was "built for a future generation of hardware on PC", in my opinion it was true because now the game is solid good high FPS and really was shortly after release when the new GPU's came it was fine but many didn't upgrade for a while after that it would seem at least, but when it first launched, it was troubled. They patched it a few times and it was "fine" at 30fps, but many still were not satisfied, wanted 60fps (although GTA series targeted those FPS on purpose to be more filmic. People don't understand it/don't buy it, but one of the reasons these games always looked so good back in the low quality engine days was mainly because of the many different attempts at simulating film they've used over the years. GTA V is like a digitally shot 60fps soap opera, which is fine, however because of it, it lacks a certain cinematic quality massively, and again, comes out more like a reality TV show or something. Great game, but the visuals, very gamey/sporty/soapy, best way I can describe though it DOES fit all the modern TV we watch based from LA so it worked out okay in V - IV and even SA, VC, and III, albeit to a lesser extent, really look like movies in a game world sometimes. IV can look like 80s and 90s NYC crime films so well while in motion, the blur + 30 fps was so filmic, they were really proud of that, but the fans tore it apart for it).

San Andreas is a 25fps game. You can delimit the FPS, however "strange things" begin to happen but you will only notice it now and then in SA. It's not as bad as III and VC were with this. There's frame-dependent things in it, that's all. Some missions are extremely difficult to pass (some even impossible apparently, I don't know though, because I liked the 25fps of SA for above reasons) for example without turning back on frame limiter. The plus side is that, while it's a hacky way they did it, the radial blur in the game really makes it not seem so 25 FPS. It's the greatest game of that generation, and up until that point in history, easily. Literally, not even being a fan boy of the series.

I lived in San Andreas from 2004 til 2009 more than I lived my real life. But this is not why I am saying it is the greatest game up until that point. You'll see when you play, it was arguably the very best experience in a GTA game to this very date. Iv and V are great, but none of their games has been like SA. When people say they like IV or V more, what they really mean is that they like the feeling of the controls or the graphics better for their taste. But, put san andreas as the story and map and HD in either of those games, everyone would very easily agree SA was objectively the best Rockstar game to date in terms of all that you do from beginning to end. It's just the funniest and funnest of the entire series. The others are great, but GTA SA was really special.

edit: Steam editions are just fine. People are very opinionated, and totally respect that. Objectively, even though they lack a few songs, these games run fine on steam, IV seems to run the best from Steam now (this was NOT always the case, not by a long shot. Used to have to go around steam and it would run better and still not as good as the stand alone version - but now, using steam actually works the best since last time I tried - I don't know why, maybe steam's shader cache or something weird like that, I really don't know, I get the best from steam now though. Absolute best version of San Andreas is SA v1.0 disc, though. You can downgrade the steam version, too)

Someone will probably buy this before you see it, but somebody is selling their SA for 11 bucks after a quick search, there may be more, assuming you still use a DVD drive (i don't): https://www.ebay.com/p/Grand-Theft-Auto-San-Andreas-AO-Version-PC-2005/44498869

4 hours ago, ATP2555 said:

I agree. A lot of things don't make sense in that mission. As I pointed out previously, it's a three-way battle between the IAA, FIB, and Merryweather, but it looks like they're all trying to kill only you.

Let's look at what the credits rolling shows us about trevor, and that final mission, helps explain that museum shootout;

For Trevor, going and taking out all of those trickled-down cold war style manipulative "hate your friend, pick a pill, or else" axes between the three of them that is exactly like the media manipulation the world is facing today in their own homes, getting his hands bloody, doing it as a TEAM, that was all trevor needed.

All trevor needed was to know he had his TEAM and that they were taking care of their problems together.

Just think of the scenes where he's mad at franklin, when he trips over and is upset franklin laughs at him or the part where he points out that they are supposed to be his friends - Trevor is very sensitive and loving and loyal. He is actually the most loving and loyal out of all three of the protagonists. He's just also a nutcase about it because of his passion and his moral compass is only good for his friends (his hillbilly friends and Floyd are all weaklings and not his friends, they are his subordinates, he can't respect them because they do not respect themselves). The final mission fixed EVERYTHING for him. 😃

That's the reason why, prior in the story, he shows up at the shootout - because he is a good friend, with a conscience for his own friends, so it got the better of him. I don't think that michael nor franklin would have been there for Trev.

He loves Franklin so much because he is like Mike and Trevor's new Brad. Franklin fills a hole, within the same dynamics as the past for Trevor and Michael - the third guy, who they are looking out for this time, instead of mike double crossing them.

Now it makes more sense, right?

That was basically a "just in time" rescue like in movies, we just didn't see trevor feeling guilty or sorry for michael despite screwing him over and lying about it, and decided to go help. We didn't get to see him perhaps being told this is happening to mike and then him saying "Good, let him die!" like the movies would show us, and then get sad and go help, that's all. It's implied, by him showing up at all, I guess, along with all the other subtle things. A lot of subtly shown details in the story, I think we lack the other parts because it helps to give that feeling that when you are not playing as them, they are doing things on their own. If we played every moment, it wouldn't have that illusion I think.

Edited by JuliusCaesar

Jack Lupino

The weapon wheel was a great idea but holding all at the same time was not.

Like older gtas there should have been single weapon for each slot and replaced with new weapon for that slot.

GTA 5 offered a huge variety of weapons but i dont exactly enjoy  them because it doesnt feel special to me.

Edited by Jack Lupino

American Venom
2 hours ago, Jack Lupino said:

The weapon wheel was a great idea but holding all at the same time was not.

Like older gtas there should have been single weapon for each slot and replaced with new weapon for that slot.

GTA 5 offered a huge variety of weapons but i dont exactly enjoy  them because it doesnt feel special to me.

Yep. It devalues each individual weapon's use and performance. i also hate that you can't discard weapons when the ammo runs out or atleast don't have an option to because we end up with a sh*t load of guns (sometimes ones we get in missions) and even if they're not what we like we're stuck with them.

Now I haven't played GTAO in a long time, but doesn't it atleast give the option? (I could be wrong though). Anyway I think GTA V's weapons wheel itself is fine, but everything is flawed in some form or another.

TheSantader25
2 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

Yep. It devalues each individual weapon's use and performance. i also hate that you can't discard weapons when the ammo runs out or atleast don't have an option to because we end up with a sh*t load of guns (sometime ones we get in missions) and even if they're not what we like we're stuck with them.

Now I haven't played GTAO in a long time, but doesn't it atleast give the option? (I could be wrong though). Anyway I think GTA V's weapons wheel itself is fine, but everything is flawed in some form or another.

GTA ONLINE lets you buy a locker and from there you can choose which weapons to "hide". You don't lose them but it just doesn't show up on the weapon wheel. Added in 2016.(by that time SP didn't get sh*t) 

gtafaninwest

GTA V SP has so many bugs and crashes. Every time I do a speedrun, it just crashes. I also hate that I can't just skip an entire mission rather than sections. I also hate long loading times and that ingame time processes even during loading time.

Cockstar have left this game real buggy, all for the sake of that crap Online.

LorshZontek

more of a gta online complain but its apart of gta v so its here,

i hate how rockstar are reusing content which was supposed to be in the supposed single player dlc for the sh*t online mode which makes singleplayer more and more unstable and buggy.

B Dawg
On 12/13/2018 at 10:27 PM, Dryspace said:

You can restore the missing music. For San Andreas, apply 1.0 downgrader, and some community made fixes/improvements such as SIlent Patch.

For IV, you need a radio downgrader and bulletspread fix (since R* for some reason dumbed down the gunplay for the PC version).

Xane123

I just wrote this on my Facebook when I shared a memory from four years ago when I played the PS3 version and the cops frustrated me too much. It's sort of a rant, complaining about the many dumb things the LSPD do, so I figure it belongs here:

Four years ago, I encountered the worst cops Rockstar Games ever created, the Grand Theft Auto V version of the Los Santos Police Department. These terminator robots in disguise love to shoot you with perfect accuracy, don't care about arresting you, and use their robotic senses to perfectly mimic your vehicle's movements! They take "resisting arrest" a bit too seriously for a video game and will increase your Wanted Level for running away, which never happened in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas.

They will get onto you for the littlest crime, and don't have to be called to report a crime. If an animal sees you do something, they will call the cops on you. Now, how do you mess that up? Somehow, people don't have to use their phones, either! Everyone is connected to the cops through some kind of mental link! Told you they were robots!

I hated having to deal with them after I tried to give a sketchy character in the game a different vehicle so I could keep my own. I didn't know HE would call the cops on me when he seemed like more of a criminal than Franklin to me.

Nowadays, I enjoy messing up this very stupid excuse for a police department up, making their vehicles unable to move or flying uncontrollably through the air. I like to make the cops as weak as possible and spawn everywhere. I always come at them with explosive rockets and bullets. After they tortured me years ago, now I come back with vengeance. The Vice City Police Department are much better police officers than you will ever be, GTA V LSPD.

Dryspace
7 hours ago, B Dawg said:

You can restore the missing music. For San Andreas, apply 1.0 downgrader, and some community made fixes/improvements such as SIlent Patch.

For IV, you need a radio downgrader and bulletspread fix (since R* for some reason dumbed down the gunplay for the PC version).

Thanks for that information. If all of these methods can be used on the Steam versions to get an authentic (and acceptably-performing) experience, that would make things a lot easier.

Ondr4H
On 12/11/2018 at 12:51 PM, Darealbandicoot said:

So, what did they break in single player with today's "update" 

I dont know, after some updates games keeps crashing on loadings like when Im killed or skip drive with taxi.So I completely abandon it.

I wanted to play this game but I need firstly install 3,5 GB of bloat data, so I fuc*ked it.

Darealbandicoot
5 hours ago, Ondr4H said:

I dont know, after some updates games keeps crashing on loadings like when Im killed or skip drive with taxi.So I completely abandon it.

I wanted to play this game but I need firstly install 3,5 GB of bloat data, so I fuc*ked it.

You know what's interesting, they actually removed the script that despawns multiplayer vehicles in Story Mode for every pre Arena War dlc vehicle so they finally "broke" something that I'm actually happy about. You still need a save editor but still it's a very odd thing for them to do but if it's intentional it raises so many questions. 

Dryspace
20 minutes ago, Darealbandicoot said:

You know what's interesting, they actually removed the script that despawns multiplayer vehicles in Story Mode for every pre Arena War dlc vehicle so they finally "broke" something that I'm actually happy about. You still need a save editor but still it's a very odd thing for them to do but if it's intentional it raises so many questions. 

Wait--forgive me, because I don't know anything about these issues. Is it the case that assets that are added to GTAO are automatically accessible in GTAV unless Rockstar takes deliberate steps to prevent access to them?

Vehicles added to GTAO, for example--are you saying that they would normally spawn in SP? Or maybe they wouldn't automatically spawn, but they would be accessible somehow?

Edited by Dryspace

gtafaninwest

And that stupid "failed authorization" bug remained unfixed.

Darealbandicoot
Just now, Dryspace said:

Wait--forgive me, because I don't know anything about these issues. Is it the case that assets that are added to GTAO are automatically accessible in GTAV unless Rockstar takes deliberate steps to prevent access to them?

Vehicles added to GTAO, for example--are you saying that they would normally spawn in SP? Or maybe they wouldn't automatically spawn, but they would be accessible somehow?

Rockstar blocked them from single player since 2015 and when players were glitching in THOSE vehicles, they added a specific script to despawn Online only vehicles if they are somehow brought to single player and have patched each and every method to get vehicles to single player that were added to GTA Online before the dlc blocker like the Lowriders. They removed that script with Arena wars but you still have to use a save editor to get them into single player due to Rockstar patching all the methods to get Online vehicles in Single player. 

Copcaller

Also the internet it felt so lacking compared to 4 and no police database