2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

PatrickJr.

Official GTAV Whine and Complain Thread

Male01

The statement above is like saying that V does not have inferior paramedics but rather an exaggerated death system. How does a paramedic not do CPR on a person who fainted from only being bumped into? Don't forget that you can remove all pedestrians in a place by pointing a gun at anyone, even if absolutely nobody sees you. In V, all pedestrians know when you just pressed the attack button or when you point a gun, as if they had their eyes and ears everywhere. Also, if a stranger stands on top of your car, would you reverse your vehicle into the car behind you, killing that stranger, yourself, and the driver behind you? Every driver in V would. If a person does a burnout in your street, do you have an entire neighborhood shoot that person? The AI in this game at it's best (still horrible) resembles 3/Advance but with ridiculously buffed up stats. How does your last shot as you have just received a killing shot manage to hit the chest of the pilot of a fast aircraft that is quickly moving in random directions? In SA, there are countless times in which the player may see the same person in every street but they never say the same thing at the same time. In V, there are peds who may even say the same voice line at the same time.

Miamivicecity
8 hours ago, Sleepwalking said:

Also in GTA IV NPC AI can't keep up with you. Police drive cars like sh*t, they tend to crash everywhere and then stuck. Even helicopters cant keep up with you for a long time. NPC AI improved in GTA V.

No it didn't. It's called rubber banding. In GTA V you can have the fastest supercar imaginable with every mod top to bottom, be out on the open road in a car chase and standard police cruisers are STILL able to keep pace to the point where they're able to spin you out at top speed. That's not an improvement to the A.I. It's programmed on purpose to be unfair.

GTA V's police system point blank isn't "challenging". Something can provide a challenge while still being fair which GTA V isn't. It's what I said before. It feels it's to serve to be more more of a nuisance to the player. There are no excuses. They had 5 years to get on top of it and failed. 

TheSantader25
7 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

No it didn't. It's called rubber banding. In GTA V you can have the fastest supercar imaginable with every mod top to bottom, be out on the open road in a car chase and standard police cruisers are STILL able to keep pace to the point where they're able to spin you out at top speed. That's not an improvement to the A.I. It's programmed on purpose to be unfair.

GTA V's police system point blank isn't "challenging". Something can provide a challenge while still being fair which GTA V isn't. It's what I said before. It feels it's to serve to be more more of a nuisance to the player. There are no excuses. They had 5 years to get on top of it and failed. 

So you'd want the police to lose you every time you're in a super car? That's boring and easy and makes the police chases absolutely useless to have fun with. Other than rubber banding there's no way that a cruiser can keep up with a super car unless they switch the police cars with some super cars as well which will turn it to NFS.  But I'd say I like the IV chases better anyway. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Miamivicecity
3 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

So you'd want the police to lose you every time you're in a super car? That's boring and easy and makes the police chases absolutely useless to have fun with. Other than rubber banding there's no way that a cruiser can keep up with a super car unless they switch the police cars with some super cars as well which will turn it to NFS.  But I'd say I like the IV chases better anyway. 

The point isn't whether I want to lose them every single time, but to highlight that it really has nothing to do with improved A.I. Without rubber banding there's no way any police car in GTA V would be able to keep up with a modified supercar. Not a chance in hell.

But rubber banding's cheap. GTA IV doesn't have that which is why the chases are more fun (even you can admit it).

TheSantader25
5 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

The point isn't whether I want to lose them every single time, but to highlight that it really has nothing to do with improved A.I. Without rubber banding there's no way any police car in GTA V would be able to keep up with a modified supercar. Not a chance in hell.

But rubber banding's cheap. GTA IV doesn't have that which is why the chases are more fun (even you can admit it).

True. But the main reason IV's chases are fun is because all the vehicles are slow as hell so the AI can keep up  Which causes close chases and intense moments. Not because IV had "well programmed AI" instead of rubber banding. It would go to sh*t if the vehicles had the same realistic(sort of)  top speed from GTA V. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Miamivicecity
5 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

True. But the main reason IV's chases are fun is because all the vehicles are slow as hell so the AI can keep up  Which causes close chases and intense moments. Not because IV had "well programmed AI" instead of rubber banding. It would go to sh*t if the vehicles had the same realistic(sort of)  top speed from GTA V. 

Well I didn't say "GTA IV has well programmed A.I" only that didn't need to use cheap tactics like rubber banding.

TheSantader25
1 minute ago, Miamivicecity said:

Well I didn't say "GTA IV has well programmed A.I" only that didn't need to use cheap tactics like rubber banding.

But downgraded Top Speed is a pretty cheap tactic if you ask me. The most important point is that the Chases should be fun. Either with cheap tactics like rubber banding or Top Speed downgrades or a well programmed AI. R* chose the lazy path. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Miamivicecity
26 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

But downgraded Top Speed is a pretty cheap tactic if you ask me. The most important point is that the Chases should be fun. Either with cheap tactics like rubber banding or Top Speed downgrades or a well programmed AI. R* chose the lazy path. 

Liberty City/Alderney is full of tight and narrow streets so obviously the top speed had to be configured to suit otherwise cars would reach ridiculously fast top speeds. People already whinge that they crash with the current physics.when they try to make a slow turn. Imagine letting the cars go 100 km/h faster.

If you want to feel like cars have their top speeds  "downgraded" play one of the Saints Row games where it literally feels like cars have a stuck speed limiter and acceleration comes to a halt . GTA IV doesn't feel like that. In saying all that I'm glad we can both agree about something with GTA IV. The chases are fun and that's all that should really matter. GTA V's could've been more fun too if R* didn't opt to be so bloody lazy.

TheSantader25
6 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

Liberty City/Alderney is full of tight and narrow streets so obviously the top speed had to be configured to suit otherwise cars would reach ridiculously fast top speeds. People already whinge that they crash with the current physics.when they try to make a slow turn. Imagine letting the cars go 100 km/h faster.

If you want to feel like cars have "downgraded" top speed play one of the Saints Row games where it literally feels like cars have a stuck speed limiter. GTA IV doesn't feel like that.

I don't care about Saints Row. That series sucks and is way crazy to have fun with anyways. 

It isn't as bad as it may sound but it still is "downgraded" top speed. I'd say the main reason for that was because R* wanted to make us feel like the map is bigger. And as for tight alleys, they could've fixed the

boat-like handling. 

Edited by TheSantader25

ATP2555
12 hours ago, Miamivicecity said:

I agree. Also, it's not just the police that rubberband, but ALL NPCs. Piss off a random driver in a beat up hooptie and he'll manage to catch up to your fully-tuned supercar in no time. You can also notice this when Madrazo's sicarios are coming after you in their Cavalcades.

Dryspace
1 hour ago, ATP2555 said:

I agree. Also, it's not just the police that rubberband, but ALL NPCs. Piss off a random driver in a beat up hooptie and he'll manage to catch up to your fully-tuned supercar in no time. You can also notice this when Madrazo's sicarios are coming after you in their Cavalcades.

Oh, man....I will never forget this one particular episode--something which should have been wholly unremarkable but turned into a farce.

I don't even remember how the altercation originally started, but the upshot is that some guy in a POS ticked me off and I decided to end him. As soon as he realized I meant business he sped off. At first I was surprised at how much trouble I was having even catching up with the guy while dodging in and out of traffic on and around the Great Ocean highway. So I shot out a back tire. Then I shot out the other. So far, no perceptible slackening of speed on his part.

It started to become maddening: Every time I got him in a position in which I had him pinned, he would bash and brute-force his way out like a man possessed and get up to 120 mph again. Eventually, I had all four wheels shot out--he's literally driving on rims--and still I can't catch up to the guy. Mind, I'm certain the whole reason things got out of hand to begin with was my treating it as a casual, routine affair from the outset. I had no idea.

To this very day it makes me angry when I think about the sour, arrogant look on that guy's face every time I barely managed to get alongside him. Him, effortlessly cruising along on his rims and for all the world pretending like I didn't even exist.

I'm glad he's dead.

Ertan Soner
On 11/10/2018 at 9:45 AM, Miamivicecity said:

If you want to feel like cars have their top speeds  "downgraded" play one of the Saints Row games where it literally feels like cars have a stuck speed limiter and acceleration comes to a halt . GTA IV doesn't feel like that. In saying all that I'm glad we can both agree about something with GTA IV. The chases are fun and that's all that should really matter. GTA V's could've been more fun too if R* didn't opt to be so bloody lazy.

5 cops also don't use different tactics. They just ram your car in the back and that is it. 

ATP2555
23 minutes ago, Ertan Soner said:

5 cops also don't use different tactics. They just ram your car in the back and that is it. 

The Police Riot doesn't even chase you, it only spawns at roadblocks. SWAT(don't know why they still call them NOOSE) don't even carry the SMG, only the Carbine Rifle. There's also no police snipers like in GTA IV.

Sleepwalking

My only complain about police dispatch is how they left female cops out of dispatch system. Other than it is good. Even after putting hundreds hour in that game, you can still have a hard time with cops. In GTA IV they are so dumb and easy, cop chases are getting boring after a while.

D9fred95
3 hours ago, Sleepwalking said:

My only complain about police dispatch is how they left female cops out of dispatch system. Other than it is good. Even after putting hundreds hour in that game, you can still have a hard time with cops. In GTA IV they are so dumb and easy, cop chases are getting boring after a while.

The only reason the V cops are still hard after hundreds of hours is because of how they spawn like crazy even at two stars. Stuff like spawning 50 - 100 meters in front of you or the game spawning in a helicopter if you somehow escape them. If GTA IV's police are boring because of weak tactics, V's cops are tedious because of their extreme tactics. Neither are perfect but I can have fun with IV's cops whereas I dread wanted levels in V because it's not fun.

TheSantader25

It's pretty weird that some people find the V cop system difficult. It's actually pretty easy for me. Maybe I played the game too much. But none of V or IV had the challenging cops the 3D era had.(even if they were more enjoyable than the 3D era) You can easily deal with them. But in the 3D era, as soon as you hit 3 stars it's all hell on earth. 

Edited by TheSantader25

D9fred95

It's because they swarm the area like flies once you hit three stars. Dunno if it's to make the game more "realistic" but making it so every cop you kill spawns another patrol car is just not fun. The cops in the 3D Era can be pretty overwhelming at times but the Pay n' Sprays were always available and easy to use. In IV and V, you can't let the cops see you go inside. This would be fine if not for the aforementioned fly swarming the LSPD do. It's is very easy to occur since the garage's door is always closed in V which wastes precious moments as the cops saturate the area and sometimes the door bugs out and doesn't open.

TheSantader25

I don't get this whole exaggerated "swarming" thing. I find the system pretty easy to handle. Losing the cops in IV was harder since you had to exit the stupid circle which got bigger and bigger. Even if there wasn't any cops around you, you still could not lose them because of the circle which is a pain in the ass when almost all the cars in IV have the speed of a snail.At least in V once you break the line of sight the losing progress begins. The Chases in IV are much more fun but losing them? It's a pain in the ass. 

Edited by TheSantader25

D9fred95

I wouldn't say it's exaggerated, because that's what they do. If you're on foot, the police swarm you the same way the FBI does in San Andreas. Difference is the FBI is mean't to be difficult, the LSPD and NOOSE are the only law enforcement in V so you've got regular cops coming in from all over once you hit 3 stars. It's like R* had to compensate for less law enforcement types or something, even IV has more (FIB or NOOSE show up, neither at the same time). Probably for the best R* gave Michael and Trevor have their combat abilities if they're going to be dealing with police like this, I feel bad for Franklin though.

Also I don't know if it's a bug or what, but occasionally the wanted stars will flash for three minutes when I lose the police, even if I'm at 2 stars. I remember IV being pretty reliable with this. It's probably just a bug though.

TheSantader25
7 minutes ago, D9fred95 said:

I wouldn't say it's exaggerated, because that's what they do. If you're on foot, the police swarm you the same way the FBI does in San Andreas. Difference is the FBI is mean't to be difficult, the LSPD and NOOSE are the only law enforcement in V so you've got regular cops coming in from all over once you hit 3 stars. It's like R* had to compensate for less law enforcement types or something, even IV has more (FIB or NOOSE show up, neither at the same time). Probably for the best R* gave Michael and Trevor have their combat abilities if they're going to be dealing with police like this, I feel bad for Franklin though.

Also I don't know if it's a bug or what, but occasionally the wanted stars will flash for three minutes when I lose the police, even if I'm at 2 stars. I remember IV being pretty reliable with this. It's probably just a bug though.

I don't find any issues with that. I don't think they "swarm in" when you have 1-2 stars.Yes When you hit 3 things do get messy but that's supposed to happen since the more stars you get the harder it should be. Also keep in mind that GTA V has 5 stars unlike previous GTAs which means the regular 3 star wanted level in V should obviously be harder than the 3 star wanted level in other games because the scale is somewhat different. The real issue here isn't "swarming in". It's the accuracy. If the police had lower accuracy things could work out but they don't. The "realistic" accuracy for a cop should be somewhere between IV and V if you ask me. 

The whole swarming thing happens in all 3D GTAs as well. They run you over when they get a chance as well which makes things even more aggressive. 

Franklin is the best for car chases though. So he has his uses. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Dryspace

My issue is that there are no well-designed, interesting mechanics involved with any aspect of police interaction in GTA V, especially regarding evasion. As far as gameplay is concerned, it is non-complex and involves basically doing the same trivial thing every time.

It goes back to the issue of precious 2005 console hardware cycles having to be devoted to providing a graphical experience that players would find acceptable in 2013, leaving nothing whatever to devote to aspects like AI and physics which would allow for complex and interesting gameplay mechanics.

I've said before that I don't consider the gameplay of GTA V to be good at all--it is the characterization, dialogue, and environment that kept me immersed. But if GTA V did actually have well-designed and complex police interactions and other gameplay aspects, I believe it would have been right up among the best AAA games I've ever played.

D9fred95

It's very easy to get to 3 stars though. Even something simple like shooting a single officer (non-lethally) gives you three stars. Doesn't help that it's also extremely easy to get 2 stars, running from the cops or getting in a car gives you 2 stars. Previous GTA's let you run around with 1 star easily but in V the LSPD has no patience for that and will open fire if they don't immediately catch you. 

As for the 3D Era cops, yes they also swarmed. Thing is though, the 3D Era games had more engine limitations and things were simpler. GTA V, for all it's wacky missions, is still treated as a more down to earth, realistic GTA with some advanced AI (though I still hate it's traffic). So it's puzzling when the police which should have more advanced AI is acting like the FBI from the 3D Era. And yes, if the accuracy was toned down then most of this would be not a problem. But the fact of the matter is that the LSPD do have insane accuracy and this is combined with their swarming tactics causing both to become one big problem.

ATP2555

Let's not forget that cops can't arrest NPC's anymore. In GTA IV, if someone hits you and a cop witnesses it, they'll hold him/her at gunpoint and a police car will spawn for them to be hauled into it and driven away. GTA V has none of that. Someone hits you, the cops will shoot that person dead. I'll never forget that time in early 2014 when I was doing my 100% run; I (as Franklin) picked up the the letter scrap at the airport and decided to stand idle. Then, a random guy started getting pissed at me (peds in GTA V don't like you standing near them), and then he punched me. The two armored cops with the Carbine Rifles nearby immediately shot him dead. This was a very disappointing moment for me as it was a real downgrade from GTA IV.

TheSantader25
36 minutes ago, Dryspace said:

My issue is that there are no well-designed, interesting mechanics involved with any aspect of police interaction in GTA V, especially regarding evasion. As far as gameplay is concerned, it is non-complex and involves basically doing the same trivial thing every time.

It goes back to the issue of precious 2005 console hardware cycles having to be devoted to providing a graphical experience that players would find acceptable in 2013, leaving nothing whatever to devote to aspects like AI and physics which would allow for complex and interesting gameplay mechanics.

I've said before that I don't consider the gameplay of GTA V to be good at all--it is the characterization, dialogue, and environment that kept me immersed. But if GTA V did actually have well-designed and complex police interactions and other gameplay aspects, I believe it would have been right up among the best AAA games I've ever played.

GTA was always known to have simple mechanics. Nothing in the game is complex. The shooting, the Parkour, stealth, police system, Driving,... They are all simple .The strong suit of the series is to have many "features" but not to overly make them complex. If the evasion or interactions in the GTA series was complex(Like RDR) committing crimes which is the main point of the game would become somewhat "more consequential" which discourages the player to commit crimes. But it's clear that this series encourages the players to commit crimes. It wants to give a freedom to the players they may not find in real life or other games. I don't think this may change since it's actually one of the aspects of the series to be like this. But keep in mind, "simple" here doesn't mean easy or not deep. I'd call it "accessible". 

The main reason the series got so popular in the first place was because you were free to do as you please in this vast open world with all these NPCs, activities and Vehicles. It was like a big playground made to have fun with. Eventually the stories became more and more serious and the characters became important too. But most of the time the story in this series doesn't effect it's simple gameplay. 

But I'd like to know what do you think R* can add to the system? I'd personally would love the interaction system from RDR2 to make it's way to the series. 

Lock n' Stock
On 11/10/2018 at 6:00 AM, Miamivicecity said:

Personally, I feel this video summed it up well (along with a host of other design flaws).

Edited by Lock n' Stock

Acetaminophen
3 hours ago, Lock n' Stock said:

Personally, I feel this video summed it up well (along with a host of other design flaws).

All I have to say is GTA 5 feels like the "B Team" while Red Dead Redemption 2 feels like the "A Team". 

Lock n' Stock
2 minutes ago, Acetaminophen said:

All I have to say is GTA 5 feels like the "B Team" while Red Dead Redemption 2 feels like the "A Team". 

Well GTA V was R* North, while RDR 2 is R* San Diego. At least that's what I think, since it's not explictably stated which studio did the most work on it.

Zalahazar

SEPERATE THE PVP!!!!! AND PVE!!!!!!! CONTENT so that players doing normal ( CEO or whatever ) dont get nuked by some idiot with a freakin missile cluster bombardment turret canon rocket gun car / motorcykle  or ( whatever ). just seconds before u return your HELPLESS f*ckING TRUCK. (((( WITH NO MEANS TO DEFEND ITSELF )))) after a hour drive. i really hope this was plenty pictorial for the fools of a staff who dont even know the meaning of the word BALANCE!!!! 

BTW im a gamer not a english teacher..and NO i will not even consider looking at any replies as they are NOT relevant.

BTW AGAIN!! soz for the rant but it was necessary.. BELIEVE ME =P

Dryspace
3 hours ago, Acetaminophen said:

But again...let's remember that GTA V was released five-and-a-half years ago, and very importantly was designed and coded for 2005 console hardware. It's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison.

Edited by Dryspace

TheSantader25
4 hours ago, Lock n' Stock said:

Well GTA V was R* North, while RDR 2 is R* San Diego. At least that's what I think, since it's not explictably stated which studio did the most work on it.

RDR2 is a R* studios title. All R* studios had a hand in it. 

When I compare IV, RDR, V, RDR2 all‌ I see is 4 great games with some major flaws. 9/10s that could've easily been a 10 if R* didn't have certain problems with each of them. Of course they all lack in different areas though. They don't have the same problems. 

Edited by TheSantader25