The Soundtrack (for lack of a better word) Sucked

grope_4_that_date

grope_4_that_date

Don't get me wrong - V had some great jems and new hits, but there were only a rare songs I found myself listening to outside of the game.

In my opinion, there were only about 2 really good stations, 4 decent stations, and 8 that sucked. (I made a list of these, but decided to keep them out - cause I know someone will flame me for not liking East Los FM).

Anyway, the point is... what the heck happened. Half the soundtrack blows. GTA4, San Andreas, Vice City... I found my self listening to almost every station. And the songs that I heard I became obsessed with. Like No Sex for Ben, Vagabond, The Journey, Street Kids, Vice City FM, Nouveau Americain, Pjanoo, the list goes on...

What did GTAV have? I mean I loved Shine a Light, I Don't Think Hank Done It That Way....hm... Skeltons..... I've already named three and its getting harder to go on.

• Like 7

razorsharkhead

because they r going to have a soundtrack dlc for 40 dollars for better music.

Your skills (for lack of a better word) at using search sucked.

Also, GTA V had the best soundtrack since Vice City.

@razorsharkhead: I'd love new music dlc (the soundtrack for V is great, but there are only so many times you can listen to a song, no matter how good) but I don't think R* will do it.

Edited by Staten

CantThinkOfOne2013

The quality of game soundtracks are 100% subjective, IMO, GTA III and GTA Liberty City Stories had the worst soundtracks in the series.

• Like 3

What happened was a five year development period meaning Rockstar had to redo the radio at least three times. Three radio stations were dropped, Non Stop Pop changed formats like four times, the fallout from the cut stations had tracks they already secured the rights to be thrown on other stations if they fit or not, etc.

It's already known that GTAV has the most left over tracks in the gxts compared to both GTA IV and EFLC. Over 130 songs, 134 to be exact compared to the 40-ish of latter.

Having that much time in development meant that the original choices and designs they usually stick with became outdated, lost the rights to tracks they originally wanted, etc. And as this was an on going process with many stations being changed and altered from their original vision it just gives the final tracklist more of a slapped together feel as if the audio team was told to stop whatever they were doing and to just ship it.

For example, Vinewood Boulevard Radio was the last radio station to be added into the game, replacing the 90's rock station that was known as P.M.R. and this change happened in less than EIGHT months from the games release. It's crazy to think when the game was delayed in January 2013 that this radio station didn't even exist then!

Just overall, unlike the previous games, the recording, editing, song choices, etc for GTAV was just too staggered over the dev period with no clear end in sight to polish it all up, instead feeling rather abruptly stopped and sent out.

• Like 3

Maybe they made a lot of the radio songs forgettable so you could focus on that beautifully unappreciated dynamic OST :p?

Seriously, though. I think people should speak about more than just the radio stations when they create these "Soundtrack" threads. Since "Soundtrack" usually also covers any composed or original tracks made just for the game.

Give those mission themes some love.

• Like 2

ChrisMathers3501

Yeah, uh, no. Just because I generally stuck to Los Santos Rock Radio, Radio Los Santos, West Coast Classics, Channel X, and Rebel Radio and every once in a while East Los FM doesn't mean the other stations sucked. I just never really had occasion to sit and listen to them. I mean, the other stations don't seem particularly tied to any one character, gang or government agency, so it never really made sense for me to listen to, say, Soulwax or Worldwide. And Hell, there were some damn good songs on Flylo and Blue Ark, so that kind of IS a shame. But we have DLC coming at some point, so I can't really bitch about it.

I resent any implication that the soundtrack sucks when it has songs as good as My War, Subliminally, Still DRE, Slow Down, High Pressure Dave, The General Lee and the Convoy theme, not to mention a sh*tload of excellent in-game non-radio music like We Were Set Up.

Drunken Cowboy

They didn't try to cater to everyone, it seems like they just wanted to capture the California vibe... Lots of gansta rap, trashy and stereotypical hispanic music, garbage punk, country, etc.

I liked Rebel Radio, but I wished they would focus their "realism" to the story instead of something like the radio which we're supposed to enjoy for a few years trying to capture the vibe.

Liberty City had jazz, hard rock, heavy metal, softer ambient music, disco, more talk radio, etc. Sure, you're NEVER gonna find something like an all metal station in real life, but who cares when you're making a large part of your fan base happy?

AT LEAST let us upload custom tracks, jeez...

Are you talking sh*t about Baker Street?

• Like 3

Since the score counts as the soundtrack, I think this blows all other Rockstar games out of the water.

I went back on GTA4 recently, the soundtrack sounds even better after playing V.

Vinewood Boulevard is bland. There's like one good song (crawling after you) but even that gets boring.

Then I'm on GTA4, with Radio Broker on. Awesome, consistent station. You can leave it on for the full tracklist and enjoy the whole thing. Same with most IV/EFLC stations. With GTAV, you're constantly switching between stations, since the vast majority of music sucks. There's a few good songs, and you're listening to those few good songs so often that they become sh*t. I got bored of V's soundtrack in 3 months. IV's soundtrack after 5 years is still amazing.

PhillBellic

I have a theory as to why the soundtrack is so bad. The poor music selection is a subtle jab at the decline of good music and the rise of shi**y McPop music which is just recycled endlessly only changing a couple of lyrics and some how it is 'new'.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Legomanarthur

I went back on GTA4 recently, the soundtrack sounds even better after playing V.

Vinewood Boulevard is bland. There's like one good song (crawling after you) but even that gets boring.

Then I'm on GTA4, with Radio Broker on. Awesome, consistent station. You can leave it on for the full tracklist and enjoy the whole thing. Same with most IV/EFLC stations. With GTAV, you're constantly switching between stations, since the vast majority of music sucks. There's a few good songs, and you're listening to those few good songs so often that they become sh*t. I got bored of V's soundtrack in 3 months. IV's soundtrack after 5 years is still amazing.

I can't agree more...

It's the ONLY GTA, I mainly play with the radio turned off...

• Like 1

fJEUkTi.png

HOW'S ANNIE?

One big criticism of the game's soundtrack that I see pop up again and again is "Los Santos Rock Radio isn't real rock wah wah wah". Well if that's the case then go f*ck yourself and go shove AC/DC, Metallica and Guns'N'Roses up your ass, because that's all that everyone wants in the way of "classic rock" and all three of those artists are absolutely terrible.

Yes hard rock is good, but I go apesh*t whenever somebody tries to tell me soft rock is just "sh*tty pop".... And this is coming from a man who has Jim Morrison as his avatar.

• Like 3

So now people like IV's soundtrack? I like it too but people trashed it for years.

I love hard rock as well but metal fans pretty much hate anything that isn't metal They still haven't gotten over alternative coming out in the early 90s and knocking them out the box for nearly a decade. Talk to any 80s metal fan about Nirvana and hear the bitterness in their voice. They will trash punk until the cows come home forgetting that some favorite metal bands have said themselves that punk was a major influence. Slash said himself that The Stooges are one of his favorite bands.

Long time no see Grope.

With the passage of time I've come to appreciate GTAV's soundtrack more than my first thoughts impressed. The Lowdown was f*cking immense, even if it gets incredibly repetitive after a point, and Space is great. Radio Mirror Park is my guilty pleasure. Los Santos Rock Radio I don't think is that bad and I actually like the soft rock direction it leans towards. My problem with it is the playlist is too inconsistent and some of the song choices are absolutely appalling. If You Leave Me Now does my head in; why not Street Player, 25 or 6 to 4? And don't even mention Julian Lennon.

There isn't a GTA soundtrack in the history of the series I can recall not having a song or two per station that was horrible, but at least in this day and age we have the means to remedy this. If and when Rockstar release the single player DLC I fully expect some soundtrack updates to even things out.

The quality of game soundtracks are 100% subjective, IMO, GTA III and GTA Liberty City Stories had the worst soundtracks in the series.

It's not subjective if they start adding overrated mainstream pop crap into the game. Some idiot thought that adding Lil Wayne into The Beat (IV) was a good idea when the rest of the station was good. Then they totally screwed up the station in EFLC (aka TBOGT the downfall of radio stations)

One big criticism of the game's soundtrack that I see pop up again and again is "Los Santos Rock Radio isn't real rock wah wah wah". Well if that's the case then go f*ck yourself and go shove AC/DC, Metallica and Guns'N'Roses up your ass, because that's all that everyone wants in the way of "classic rock" and all three of those artists are absolutely terrible.

Yes hard rock is good, but I go apesh*t whenever somebody tries to tell me soft rock is just "sh*tty pop".... And this is coming from a man who has Jim Morrison as his avatar.

I think it comes down to the tracks being inconsistent, I DO think LSRR was one of the stations affected by the fallout of the other stations being cut, I mean tracks like "I Don't Care Anymore", "Radio Gaga", "Too Late For Goodbyes", etc, maybe they would have been more at home on that cut 80's station? same goes for Non Stop Pop where it has a few 80's songs for no real reason, sticking out from the rest of the tracklist.

I DO think LSRR was originally going to be a more psychedelic Rock station mainly being stuff from the 60's and 70's, I mean come on, imagine hearing "Odgens' Nut Gon Flake" (which is in the game) followed by "Just Dropped In" (which was cut from the game).

• Like 2

It's not subjective if they start adding overrated mainstream pop crap into the game. Some idiot thought that adding Lil Wayne into The Beat (IV) was a good idea when the rest of the station was good. Then they totally screwed up the station in EFLC (aka TBOGT the downfall of radio stations)

Even that is down to taste and opinion.

aFIockOfSeagulls

Don Johnson's 'Heartbeat' made the soundtrack for me. Like Ash said. It's just all too inconsistent.

TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Making a topic complaining about the music is the most pointless thing you could possibly do as the music is the most subjective part of the game. And there is no definite answer weather its good or bad as everyone has a different taste in music -_-

• Like 2

I personally enjoy the soundtrack, I like the radio stations a fair bit more than IV and the original score (which people seem to forget about) is really good. Out of the cut songs the ones that stand out to me are 'Mr Writer' by the Stereophonics and 'Just Dropped In' by Kenny Rogers and the First Edition. It's a real shame those got cut. Still, like GTA IV I'm sure Rockstar will be updating the radio (possibly adding the stations that were cut) when some major story DLC finally hits.

Homemade Dynamite

V really needs a better classic rock station, a metal station, a modern rock station like Radio Broker, and a jazz station.

HOW'S ANNIE?

I think it comes down to the tracks being inconsistent, I DO think LSRR was one of the stations affected by the fallout of the other stations being cut, I mean tracks like "I Don't Care Anymore", "Radio Gaga", "Too Late For Goodbyes", etc, maybe they would have been more at home on that cut 80's station? same goes for Non Stop Pop where it has a few 80's songs for no real reason, sticking out from the rest of the tracklist.

I DO think LSRR was originally going to be a more psychedelic Rock station mainly being stuff from the 60's and 70's, I mean come on, imagine hearing "Odgens' Nut Gon Flake" (which is in the game) followed by "Just Dropped In" (which was cut from the game).

Yeah, looking at your list of cut songs it's always been apparent that LSRR was either supposed to be psychedelic and hard rock (I mean the two you mentioned, plus Radar Love, Lil Devil, plus the others that made it in like Photograph, Lonely is the Night, etc).

Overall I also think it would have been a bit better to have kept the 80's station and put the rest on LSRR. But when I look at each song from the station on its own, LSRR takes the cake for my favourite station playlist in the series.

PhillBellic

Hi Ash, was West Coast Classics affected during development, if so how badly? It is my favourite station in the game.

Cheers. :)

HOW'S ANNIE?

Hi Ash, was West Coast Classics affected during development, if so how badly? It is my favourite station in the game.

Cheers. :)

I'm not going to speak on Ash's behalf, but I doubt it was affected too much. Talk stations are normally one of the last things they do in relation to the radio.

Normally they start off with the stations that play older music (which is why there are more songs cut from LSRR, NSP, Rebel Radio, Channel X, WCC, the Lowdown and the Space compared to the others), then newer stations (RLS, VBR, RMP, etc) then talk stations.

Gnocchi Flip Flops

Your skills (for lack of a better word) at using search sucked.

Also, GTA V had the best soundtrack since Vice City.

Your skills (for the lack of a better word) at being a f*cking smartass sucked.

I have to heavily disagree. V's soundtrack isn't as varied as IV's and it damn sure wasn't as good as San Andreas's. Vice City's soundtrack is by far the best in the series for me and V doesn't even come near it. I like IV's soundtrack more because it had a lot of diversity whereas V didn't even have jazz, R&B, nor proper soft rock/techno rock like Radio Broker. Not to mention that I thought the choice of music was abysmal. Besides LSRR, Space FM, Mirror Park, three songs from Non-Stop Pop, and only some of West Coast Classics, the soundtrack was a complete bore and at times annoying. I couldn't listen to half of Worldwide, FlyLo was the stupidest sh*t I've heard on a game in ages, Non-Stop Pop had a lot of annoying pop, Channel X was rubbish, Lowdown was a bit dull except for that one jazz song, Los Santos Radio was rubbish, and the country station wasn't even worth listening to... ever.

V's soundtrack, to me, was just mediocre. I'd score it at a 45/100. The only songs that I really love are:

• All the things she said - Simple Minds
  • West End Girls - Pet Shot Boys
  • Higher Love - Steve Winwood
  • Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty
  • Viva Tirado - El Chicano
  • You know how we do it - Ice Cube