Star Citizen

RyanBurnsRed

So new update incoming, 3.18 just hit the p.t.u and is in the hands of the evocati (evocati is an fan based elite testers or bug hunters that make detailed bug reports) wave 1 is soon to follow. 

So there's still couple of weeks of bug fixing before it goes live (thinking just before x mas , that's when the devs take time off). Full wipe is confirmed for this patch.

On the core tech, persistent entity streaming is being implemented so your items will persist in the current server you are. As well as gen12 scene rendering architecture .

On the fun side they are implementing rivers, sand caves ( I believe they are making large openings for ship entry on some caves) and a racetrack for the grey cat, you won't need to own one to participate I forgot what planet it will be on. 

New "activities" in staton prison for you criminals. Cargo system refactor so you can change and manage your cargo on ships.

Kareah station  was abandoned but in this patch security is moving in! (It was/is a pvp area where criminals would land on station and delete their criminal records to get rid of crimestat). New missions of all types on planet orison. Time trials missions, and one of the most wanted gameplay for citizen's is the first iteration of salvaging. You will be able with the right tools hand held or ship wise be able so strip any crashed ships or your friends ship probably building or metal trash 🤔 but of course they are releasing the new drake vulture salvage ship. 

So the game package is on "sale" $5 off lol making it $40.50 usd 🙄 from now to jan 10 you can get a free small ship with using a referral code for both parties so if some of you play reefer your friends for a free ship for both of you! 

( Just in case, Since new page those of you who can't find a referral code here's one.hope it's ok to post: STAR-D5KR-X23M)

spacer.png

Also there is a pic contest to win a ship from the developers here are the ship prizes 

1. Drake corsair

2. banu defender

3. Cnou nomad

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/2952-holiday-greeting-card-contest

Also a few members are making a similar pic contest

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/holiday-season-giveaway-1

Some gifts as well 😯

spacer.png

Things are looking good for star citizen 🫡 hope to see you in the verse! 

Edited by deadx23

12 days of gifts started 2 days ago today is the 3rd day gifts so far

1. Festive sweater (Sunday)

2. 100i ship paint's (2 paints for this specific ship) (Monday)

3. (Tuesday) 3 festive undersuit red, teal and blue

4. 2 Avenger ship paint (Wednesday)

5. Sextant (Thursday) 12/15/22

Just log in/make account and follow directions it will show in your hanger no need to play or launch game just logg in on website to collect. For me it's good to have extra space suits cause you loose them when you die but these will bind to your account and have them until game launch. 

spacer.png

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/Luminalia-Day-3

Here are some upcoming Qol fixes for 3.18

[SPOILER]

spacer.png

spacer.png[/SPOILER]

New "starter" ship it's pretty cool for solo players

Drake cutter; main weapon 2 size 2 lasers, 2 size 2 missile 

spacer.png

Cockpit has 1 gun rack

spacer.png

1 bed with bathroom

spacer.png

Cargo area with ramp exit

spacer.png

So the servers can carry 100+ people now and players make neat 100 player dog fight videos 😁 

Edited by deadx23

• 5 months later...

Ok it's free fly event Invictus, play for free from 5/19/23-5/30/23! 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/invictuslaunchweek2953#/schedule/welcome

New update came out 3.19.0 a few days ago and users are reporting that it's a good build so far (3.18.2 had lots of bugs) their are some bugs but it's not widespread and server side fixes has been happening.

This build adds salvage missions, a rework on the lorville cityscape, ghost hollow pvp mission and a "new player experience" an intro mission that takes 30 minutes showing the INS and outs, it pays 15k in-game credits I've heard so it's worth it.

spacer.png

It's interesting 100+ players how many does a city holds I didn't bother to see how many floors there is there's like 6-10 apartments per floor I'll have to check it out. So you start by selecting 1 out of the 4-5 (i don't remember) planets it becomes your primary residence, in this new patch it means all your stuff is in the "planet inventory" meaning you have to be inside the city to access your stuff or if you end up on a different planet buy stuff like a ship it stays on that planet unless you move it physically yourself it stores when you land it on a pad. 

Now that persistent entity streaming is integrated there's random people's trash everywhere when you drink to hydrate you end up throwing the bottle on the floor and it stays there now multiply this by all the users 😁 same with abandon ships and dog fight remains.

spacer.png

this armor with space suit carrying 1 smg 1 hand gun 1 multi tool with mining laser attachment 2 clips per weapon 3 health packs some snacks and drinks cost about 14,000 the armor is the best one I like their are cheaper ones. You loose your stuff if you die! You can find you body too loot it yourself (unless some one took it from you) so there's that try to survive. 

spacer.png

Meet my latest ship 😳 the corsair, melted and rearranged some ships. This one has 4 size 5 and 2 size 4 main weapon they are huge. 

GiveMeLiberty78

Thanks @deadx23 for the update, I keep tabs on Star Citizen every now and again as I still think that it's an interesting concept. I just wonder whether CIG has taken on projects that are too ambitious; I think that the single-player S42 and the ongoing multiplayer alpha have expanded so far beyond their original scope, that I seriously wonder whether either will ever go final (full release). What do you and others think?

Also, how is the Gen-12 renderer developing? I am also curious to know, how are the frame rates on your system with 3.19.0, particularly with persistent entity streaming? I imagine that persistent coffee cups, hydration bottles, and other space-trash can bog down the already-complicated server meshing very quickly, haha! Again, a great idea I think but I wonder how well it will actually work in terms of fluid gameplay and smooth framerates.

Cool ship and outfit by the way! I think that the attention to detail throughout the persistent universe is very impressive.

@GiveMeLiberty78 hey let me tell you about my specs, 3rd gen rizen 7, Nvidia 3070 8gb with 32 gb ram on a m.2 SSD. I have the settings on 4k resolution, high and medium settings (high quality, medium far distance rendering) . I'm averaging 20-30 fps (mostly 30) in city about 30 in space. I'm sure if I lower my resolution I could get higher frame rates but I don't want to it looks fine to me. 

Current state of the game is running good, however since free fly event the servers are in heavy load so I'm reading in "in-game chat" people having trouble requesting ships in the terminals. In my case I only had trouble with buying stuff like there is a lag in the back end I kept buying stuff but it took minutes to process each item, I did had trouble with calling my ship but I just waited it out (a couple minutes) but that did not affect the fps. I spent like 2 hours in the city just getting ready and buying stuff and exploring the city 😁 I did read they are cleaning areas where people make a mess then leave say a dog fight as long as no one is in the area it just won't show up but trash like drinks and your personal weapons will persist. Over all it was working well I traveled from hurston to arc corp to check out Invictus event (you can test different ships) I'm currently looking for a new fighter ship I'm melting one and upgrading another lti ship.  Any ways happy Invictus week 🪅🎊🎉spacer.png

GiveMeLiberty78

Thanks @deadx23 for your reply. (Cool character by the way!) Your fps seem low, but with 4K and SC still being only partially optimised, I am not surprised. But it looks great, and I have read and watched some encouraging reviews about the potential of the Gen 12 renderer; it seems to have some benefits with lower draw times (ms), but overall I get the impression that the actual impact in terms of fps is still quite low at this stage. The potential for performance gains seems to be there though, so when I get the time I will take the plunge and return to the 'Verse - I last played about 2 years ago, and just walking around the Invictus event at microTech haemorrhaged my CPU and GPU! Then I upgraded about 1.5 years ago (16GB RAM -> 32GB DDR3 RAM, AMD 5700XT 8GB -> AMD 6600XT 8GB, still with Intel i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz), but I have not rejoined since then.

I also read reviews talking about ongoing server issues (expected) and the dreaded 30K issue (catch-all, server malfunction error). The only factors stopping me from rejoining the 'Verse right now are lack of time and performance/stability issues. But when I return, I will look you up for sure. In the meantime, yeah happy Invictus Week!

Edited by GiveMeLiberty78

OysterBarron
On 5/23/2023 at 4:11 PM, GiveMeLiberty78 said:

Thanks @deadx23 for your reply. (Cool character by the way!) Your fps seem low, but with 4K and SC still being only partially optimised, I am not surprised. But it looks great, and I have read and watched some encouraging reviews about the potential of the Gen 12 renderer; it seems to have some benefits with lower draw times (ms), but overall I get the impression that the actual impact in terms of fps is still quite low at this stage. The potential for performance gains seems to be there though, so when I get the time I will take the plunge and return to the 'Verse - I last played about 2 years ago, and just walking around the Invictus event at microTech haemorrhaged my CPU and GPU! Then I upgraded about 1.5 years ago (16GB RAM -> 32GB DDR3 RAM, AMD 5700XT 8GB -> AMD 6600XT 8GB, still with Intel i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz), but I have not rejoined since then.

I also read reviews talking about ongoing server issues (expected) and the dreaded 30K issue (catch-all, server malfunction error). The only factors stopping me from rejoining the 'Verse right now are lack of time and performance/stability issues. But when I return, I will look you up for sure. In the meantime, yeah happy Invictus Week!

It has always been hit and miss between patch cycles, some patches you can get good 4 hours play sessions in without issue and other patches you've to write off for 3months because the performance or disconnection just make it unplayable.

As for the servers they will only ever tick at 30fps for the simulation anyway even if you're seeing 30fps plus. I must say after a couple of sessions this patch the fps is much improved and seems to be pretty stable so far.

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

GiveMeLiberty78

Thanks @OysterBarron, good to know. Once Gen 12 and the Vulkan API are implemented (albeit in alpha), I will jump back into the 'Verse. Some reviewers predict that these performance improvements could happen in 2023, but for a game seemingly in alpha in perpetuity, I expect that it will take several more years to optimise performance in SC. Either way, glad to hear that the latest patch is much improved and quite stable; that seems to be the consensus in reviews that I've read/watched so far.

• 1 month later...

Free fly (7/7/23-7/17/23 only)  foundation festival 2953

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/foundation-festival#/careers/about

oRi5UFA.png

Looks like the latest patch is working well, I usually stay away after 2 weeks of a major release and after bug fixing is my rule of thumb (c.i.g does go out of their way to fix issues) 

There is a new player experience tutorial it takes about 30 minutes and pays 5000 credits. I see this useful as I've seen players in videos complaining that they can't even leave their apartment (it's a button next to door) things like taking off/request a hanger you need to call city or station through your contacts. 

You can try the 12 ships also for current players take advantage use same code in the website to activate it in your account and make some money with those ships ultimately buying them in game. 

There is a game "sale" $40.50 for the base online game yada yada yada

Also for new or current there's a bonus for using referral codes of friends granting both each with one stv vehicle for free with a custom lime color  + 5000 credits  

So use those codes (you can only use one referral code at the start of making a new account) 

spacer.png

(I just read the first post on this page 😅 I forget this wasn't the first "sale") 

• 1 month later...

Update 3.20 just hit the ptu wave 1 & 2 

This update focuses on arena commander for those unknown to it it's a cod PVP mode type they're adding maps and new modes like tanks vs tanks, race track for land vehicles and air vehicles . They are also implementing 2 missions types (salvaging & retrieve consignment) with limited time rotating game modes. new ships are making it to the verse the hull c huge cargo ship and my ship c1 spirit. Their kinda early for this update it's not much but citizencon is coming on October (tickets cost $200 the VIP $300 sold out) I wonder if they have something in game planned 🤔 or what's up their sleeves. We might get news of piro system we haven't left staton 😅  maybe some news on squadron 42 .😁

free fly week 😅 

(I'm sure everyone's going to be busy with something else as I will 😁

• 1 month later...

New event, "The Hunt" 

Take the platinum license to get the F8C Lightning for free 

Find  a gold license to get the "chance" to buy a F8C and get a free rental one 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/19208-The-Hunt-Is-On

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is their kind of "x-wing" icon ship from squadron 42 but who ever is going to play and compete sq42 will earn a military F8C for star citizen so really anyone will be able to get this ship regardless cig just wants to make it exclusive in a way. Also concierge wing commander and above will get a free ship + paint (people who spent $10,000+ 😵‍💫)

Coming back after last update my in-game earned credits is still there and I earned these a few months back so the wipe only affected in-game bought ships/items. 

spacer.png

While it's not a lot it's enough to keep my deaths funded, (you loose everything your carrying unless you go back to your corps) 

Speaking of that yesterday I got to play for about less than 2 hours *was hunting gold license* I equipped the ugliest armor I have got a smg that was common and off I went... unprepared. I got to what I thought was abandoned building but no entrance in a ice moon the wind was crazy and loud and scary, I stepped out of my ship and the wind rag dolled me. walking around I couldn't run or walk fast, I gave up went to my ship left got to another moon and I was in starfeild mode got to some cliffs and ....jumped thinking my jet pack... immediately by oh crap not a jet pack.... Broke my right leg started bleeding still on between rocks but broken leg I couldn't climb eventually looking at my inventory I had nothing but a SMG 😢 died. I had forgotten to get some med pens and food and drinks and some oxygen pens for that matter (a oxygen pen will get you 1 real life hour of oxygen) 

Woke up in my home planet hospital but at least they gave me a undersuit with helmet

spacer.png

I definitely won't make it getting a platinum license but I'll definitely get in their way trying to get one, just for fun. 

Edited by deadx23

• 2 weeks later...

Citizencon is over and they showed their usual tech talk, goals and upcoming features. 

I didn't watch it all (it was 12 hours for 2 days) I'm still discovering what's coming.

Chris Roberts confirmed on Sunday SQUADRON 42 IS FEATURE COMPLETE!!!!🤯

And is starting it's polish phase!!

On February this year they took sq 42 off the store it used to be $45 as an Early backer, so I'm guessing they're starting to plan it's official sale. 

Star engine demo

C.i.g also showed a weird set up with many cameras around a chair to scan real people into the verse they are adding 60 heads to the DNA pool on character creator (currently their is 18 heads) and more haircut's for both genders and beards! (Also for both genders 😅)  I'm still looking through citizencon videos. Also I was able to find a Golden ticket 🎫 so I might melt some ships and rearrange my fleet. 

I'm not gonna say it's the most impressive character creator I've seen cause I don't think it is, a lot of what they're doing I've seen before in various games.

That being said the user friendliness of it looks very, very good. I do also sort of like their approach to sculpting, it's not true sculpting like say in Fallout 4 where you can push and pull multiple parts of every facial  feature, here when you "sculpt" here you're actually swapping through the presets. So if you drag the nose out to have a larger nose the game pulls the nose from a preset with a larger nose. That I presume is how they're able to keep the quality of their scanned models/photogrammetry and still have the feel of sculpting a face - of course this system lives and dies by the amount of presets available, but they're going for at least 30 per body type which is a decent amount. But yea, I actually quite like that approach to it, it looks like it'll be really easy to make unique but high quality and realistic looking characters.

There's also a UI video from the con that while is a bit self masturbatory (the whole cheering over being able to scan enemies like literally every game doesn't have that lol) but I do like diegetic menus and think they should be more of a thing in games where possible, with Starfield being a recent example they would have really benefitted from the menus being "in-game" like they are in Starfield vs traditional pause menus.

This years con does sorta feel like they're now honing in various aspects and getting them to a "final" state so hopefully at least SQ42 may actually release one day. I remain wholly unconvinced the MMO side will actually release still, but there has been some cool tech shown - albeit I think there's also some that really isn't that impressive, like the wooden lip syncing and mid 2010's facial animations.

• 2 weeks later...

This year's con did have quite a few nice set pieces with squadron 42 being feature complete being the most exciting. They've constantly used SQ42 as a shield against certain features systems and ships coming out on the PU, so for them to potentially be kicking that out of the door soon is a huge positive for the PU.

As for graphics I felt the characters looked pretty good and certainly the animations seemed alot more fluid than cough ME Andromeda didn't feel dead to me, all though I must say the last couple of times in the PU I've started noticing that certain cockpit model assets that I first thought many years ago looked so realistic and top of the line have started to look a bit dated to me, what I don't know is if they've just downgraded some of the assets to increase performance.

I'm not saying that it doesn't look great still it's just some bits seem to be showing their age now. But then there still could be a nice polish pass due for the PU like they showed in SQ42.

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

• 2 weeks later...

Free fly event, play for free from November 17-30 try out different ships each day. Explore the verse talk in chat people will help you.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/iae2953#/schedule/welcome

😯 The ai 

spacer.png

They had a preview with pyro system it was/is a PVP fest even the medic players are getting killed it's an ungoverned system. It ended I don't think they said when they're adding it, you can visit the jump gates but their not active. they did add more platforms on crusader (gas giant that you can land on 😛

Patch 3.21.1 is live 

New alien starter ship looks cool a bit more pricey for the standard starter ship but in game the alien ships are more like exotic cause they "convert them" for human use.

Edited by deadx23

• 2 weeks later...

Nov.28-30 grand finale of the iae event, servers are holding up nicely (usually it takes a hit on free fly event)  they learned a lot from the data they received from us playing. 

C.I.G officially released 4k version of tech video from citizencon Wich btw it's not just a video it's recorded in game most of this is already in  and already accessible by us (how do I know, I log in and play) with the stuff that's not in it will be in coming this year like the pyro system shown ,I  already have a built installed even though I can't access it  it's currently on a separate build for testing (it was limited time) I do have the files. they are not showing what they want to have they are showing what they already have (read the intro...) You can't water down their progress 

F8C Lightning: 2 size 3, 2 size 2 Lazer type weapon. 4 size 2 ballistic weapon 8 size 4 missiles. 2 size m Shields 

spacer.png

This ship is a beast! flies amazing in atmospheric flight very nimble great for dogfights. It just feels good flying in the atmosphere. I usually don't like ballistic weapons cause they run out you have to restock them specially if you miss a lot 😅, Lazers are powered by your powerplant just have to watch out with overheating. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Squadron 42 being in a polish phase is also exciting for star citizen, production of sc slowed because s42 got the attention these past years. SC will inherit s42 assets plus more hands free (I'm assuming😅 ) more hands on SC.

Looks like they are activating jumptown on yela moon on crusader (it was started by the community their is a drug lab on yela that is a high PVP area, you can make money or be destroyed) 

Edited by deadx23

• 3 weeks later...

New patch 3.22 released over the weekend new locations: derelict settlements. new hairstyles, just a few from squadron 42 it adds physics to the hair it flows pretty good.

New maps for arena commander and new modes with multi crew features they're also updating the "replication layer" that has something to do with server meshing (rumored next patch) salvage has been also updated. They introduced cargo containers you can now buy a empty one to fill with anything you find. It's good for fps missions or any land mission, we used to carry dead body's to the ship and use it as a container 😁 (the loot was still in them) makes some land vehicles worth having cause sometimes like bunker missions you have to land out of the range of the turrets, they don't target land vehicles

This guy has room for some containers (it's open on the back)

spacer.png

It can climb some rocks has 2 seats no weapon 

spacer.png

SC is currently working good their was some issues with the new derelict settlements in drop in performance/frames and I hear they did patched them I haven't run into them you can only find them if you get a mission related to that place or if you know where they're at by hart,like jumptown they are not marked on the map. (Jumptown is a drug lab on yela moon)

Edited by deadx23

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
deadx23

Letter from the chairman;

2023 marked the beginning of a transformative chapter for Cloud Imperium and both of our games. 

With Alpha 3.18, our first release of 2023, the team delivered Persistent Entity Streaming (PES), the foundational tech that is necessary for Server Meshing (SM). As we mentioned in the last letter, PES is the hardest part of the work needed for SM and is the one that required the most engineering, so overcoming the challenges with this release last year was mission critical. The launch of Alpha 3.18 was far more challenging than we anticipated, and we discovered some issues with our backend database that only were visible at the scale we see on a live release as opposed to the Persistent Test Universe (PTU). Outside of this, we uncovered a lot of little issues that come from a truly persistent universe; while it is amazing to come across a wreck from a player combat a week ago, it is not so fun to try and land at a hangar where the last three ships crashed and left debris laying around, blocking your landing pad. We slowly worked through these issues, and others, but it was a challenging time both for the development team and the community. These obstacles not only tested our skills and determination but also demonstrated our resilience as we overcame them.  

Beyond PES, 2023 welcomed the long-awaited implementation of Salvage, encompassing hull stripping, structural, component, and repair, accompanied by relevant missions. Traders reaped the benefits of an overhauled (no pun intended) and physicalized cargo system, while players across the board enjoyed many new missions spanning both PVE and PVP scenarios.

player logins and engagements. Thanks to all of you, and a huge wave in Q4, 2023 was our best year ever, with record highs in daily active players, monthly active players, unique logins, and hours played for the year. More than 1.1 million of you set foot into the Persistent Universe in 2023! 

The other major milestone in 2023 was welcoming the team at Turbulent fully into the CIG family. Our partners since the end of 2012, Turbulent have been responsible for large parts of our online infrastructure, and have greatly contributed to our growth and success. This acquisition allows us to streamline our efforts and formally gives us a significant presence in Montreal, Canada, which is a hot bed of video game talent. As part of this acquisition, we gained two key senior executives; Benoit Beausejour, the Chief Technical Officer of Turbulent, who now becomes the CTO of Cloud Imperium and the head of our Core Technology Group (CTG). You already will know Benoit from his presentations on our Server Meshing plans at the last two CitizenCons. The second key executive to join our ranks is Marc Beaudet, who was the CEO of Turbulent and becomes our Senior Vice President, Studio Operations, in charge of the operations and welfare of the thousand plus people working on Star Citizen and Squadron 42, spread between our five offices in Austin, Texas, Los Angeles, California, Manchester, England, Frankfurt, Germany, and now Montreal, Canada. 

As I look back on 2023, with a few months now to reflect and appreciate the hard work of the team around me, I can say that our experience at CitizenCon 2953, and the excitement from our community both at the show and in the game as they logged into Star Citizen in record numbers last year, left me feeling not only proud, but also deeply grateful and reinvigorated for the year ahead.

On Squadron 42 that is taking the game from Feature Complete to Content Complete, ensuring the game has the necessary polish and feels worthy of being the spiritual successor to Wing Commander. To this end the team is hard at work, heads down, driving towards the finish line. I am incredibly excited about how the game is shaping up and we will have more to share with you at this year’s CitizenCon, which will be held in Manchester, England. 

On the Star Citizen front, the teams are preparing to deliver Server Meshing and expanding the universe of Star Citizen to multiple Star Systems.

One of the key milestones of human achievement in the lore of Star Citizen is “First Jump Day,” when legendary Human astrophysicist and pilot, Nick Croshaw, discovered and navigated the first Jump Point, on 10th April 2271, and became the first Human to visit a planetary system beyond Sol. 

Eventually that system was named Croshaw in his honor - his journey was described as “the Jump that changed the course of Humanity” - and led to the star-faring future we depict in Star Citizen and Squadron 42. 

spacer.png

You might wonder why I am telling you this story – well, a little ahead of the historic date of April 10th, we had our own First Jump Day celebration on Star Citizen’s Tech Preview Channel this weekend! For this test of our progress on Server Meshing and the Replication layer technology, we opened our first functioning Jump Gates, and allowed players to test travelling between our 2 systems for the first time in our history! Players were able to travel between Stanton and Pyro via wormholes, with each system streaming in and out seamlessly. For those of you interested, our ‘verse’s own Nick Croshaw honor goes to an Evocati member called “MrTrash,” who we believe was the first in the community to successfully jump! During the test, it is worth highlighting that we also achieved 350 concurrent players in a single shard (e.g. a Replication Layer with two connected servers), setting a new record for concurrent players in a single instance in Star Citizen!  

After many hard years of work towards a goal many thought was impossible, we are on the cusp of delivering one of the final pieces of technology that will enable a connected, shared universe that thousands of people can experience together at the same time.  

As we set our sights on the year ahead, the team remains focused and committed to ushering the community into uncharted territories with the release of Pyro and Star Citizen Alpha 4.0. I cannot stress how much this is an inflection point, as it will allow many more people to play together, but also to seamlessly travel to different Star Systems.  

All of this points towards 2024 being our biggest and best year yet in the universe of Star Citizen. But Star Citizen Alpha 4.0 is not our final destination! And with that I have more exciting news to share. 

As we revealed at CitizenCon with Squadron 42 achieving the Feature Complete milestone, we are now able to bring features developed for Squadron 42 to the persistent universe at an accelerated rate.  

As part of this, towards the end of last year we decided to re-organize the Star Citizen and Squadron 42 teams to be more integrated, to facilitate bringing several years’ worth of feature work and polish to Star Citizen, and finally set our sail out for Star Citizen’s own finish line. 

While we recognize that there is no definitive finish line in an online MMO, and that we will always be adding new features and content for many, many years to come, Star Citizen 1.0 is what we consider the features and content set to represent “commercial” release. This means that the game is welcoming to new players, stable, and polished with enough gameplay and content to engage players continuously. In other words, it is no longer Alpha or Early Access. 

Much like we planned out Squadron 42’s drive to Feature Complete and the upcoming Content Complete status, we spent significant time looking at what Star Citizen 1.0 means and what it would take to get there

To facilitate this, I am pleased to share that our very own Rich Tyrer will be taking on a new role as Senior Game Director, overseeing both the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42 alongside me. With this change, you’ll start to see a more rapid expansion of features and content coming from Squadron 42 to Star Citizen, starting with Alpha 3.23, which is shaping up to be one of our biggest releases to date in terms of new features getting into player’s hands. When we announced at CitizenCon that we would start bringing across feature work that we had developed and refined in the push to feature complete for Squadron 42, we were not kidding! 

As Game Director on Squadron 42, Rich played a crucial role in helping steer Squadron 42 to its current Feature Complete status. Under his stewardship, Squadron 42 experienced a significant surge of progress, a momentum we fully anticipate will continue to carry us towards Content Complete, Beta, and release.

Working in tandem, Rich and I will continue to establish the strategic vision to bring to life the intended Star Citizen gameplay experience. As Rich said, over the past few months, our teams have been busily planning the upcoming major milestones for the Persistent Universe, culminating in what we refer to as "Star Citizen 1.0." As that roadmap comes together and becomes validated, we look forward to sharing with you both its vision and executional plan later this year. 

As part of this development re-organization, we have made a few significant changes. From a personal standpoint I have moved to Austin, Texas from Los Angeles to be closer in time zone to our main development operations in Manchester, Frankfurt, and Montreal. I am spending significant time at our largest studio in Manchester with almost 600 staff, as I sit with Rich and the teams, working towards completion on Squadron 42 and Star Citizen. As part of this, we made the difficult decision to ask the Los Angeles development team, which had increasingly been providing support for the main development teams based in Manchester, to relocate to join other teams, primarily in Manchester, but also in Austin and Montreal. Los Angeles, while shrinking, will still be an important office for the company, but one focusing on a business support role with Marketing, Finance, Legal and HR. As part of this reorganization, we sadly waved goodbye to the Persistent Universe Live Director, Todd Papy as he had moved back to the US from the UK last year for family reasons, and after much soul searching, I determined that we cannot afford to have this role remote from the main team in Manchester for a good portion of the year. It is a sad moment, as Todd worked diligently for the last 9 years on Star Citizen, making many important contributions and providing excellent leadership of his teams. I wish him the best of luck and look forward to seeing what he does next.  

I will miss the sunny skies and beaches of Los Angeles, but Star Citizen and Squadron 42 take precedence. The journey is longer and more difficult than I anticipated 11 ½ years ago, but the final destination is so much more exciting and fulfilling. I would have never in my dreams expected to have the opportunity to build something on the scale and ambition of Star Citizen, and because of this feel incredibly blessed by all of your support, and I am determined to finish strong.  

In a marathon, they say the last mile is the hardest, but to quote the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, “What we do now echoes in eternity!”

I am looking forward to you getting your hands on Star Citizen Alpha 3.23 soon, where you will finally be able to experience many features we have been hard at work on for the past couple of years, which will then lead into Invictus Launch Week in May. As a lead up to Invictus, we have prepared a series of missions to earn your UEE Civilian Defense Force Stripes, and potentially earn an (incredibly powerful and unprecedented) in-game upgrade if you complete all of them, so you are ready to face XenoThreat in a more personal manner! 

The driving force behind our success is our extended team – each and every one of you. Together, we have built a community that not only plays a crucial role in our development, but also embodies our shared passion for the Star Citizen universe. It is you who has propelled us forward.  Without your passion, your willingness to test, to be undeterred by bugs and crashes, to be vocal with your thoughts, and stamina for the long and windy road, there would be no Star Citizen or CIG. 

You were there for the iconic helmet flip and the opening of the hangar doors for the first time in Alpha 0.8. Together, we explored the vast expanse of the Persistent Universe for the first time in Alpha 2.0, and you were onboard for the inaugural planetary landing in Alpha 3.0. And soon we will be leaving the Stanton System as we venture into the lawless wastelands of the Pyro system in Alpha 4.0 thanks to Server Meshing. And beyond this Star Citizen 1.0 twinkles on the horizon!  The future has never been so bright! 

And I couldn’t be happier taking this journey with all of you! 

- Chris Roberts 

Edited by deadx23
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
deadx23

3.23 ptu has been with the evocati for couple of weeks now, their plan is to start wave 1 this week so by the end of April it might be live. This update is big for features some exciting things are coming. 

Personal hangers is finally making its way in! 

"Creating new tech that creates an instance of the player's hangar to allow for uninterrupted management of cargo, inventory, and vehicles. Personal hangars are found at the player's home location and allow for customization and organization of the hangar interior."

I do miss my hanger but it wasn't in the pu it was with arena commander so I'm looking forward to seeing it working! 

spacer.png

A updated character creator (beards are also added!) 

spacer.png

Fauna is also making its way in, a start in testing creature ai with addition to Hunting mission and harvest it's just 2 animals they're adding for testing purposes. A leaked video showed some evocati member took the creature to a space station and it was attacking everyone 😁 

Item banks is something everyone ask for (recovering stuff bought irl after you loose it) arena commander is getting some more features like gravlev vehicles (hover vehicles) race tracks, custom lobbies (arena commander only) and a new mode to test engineering and I think that has to do something with fixing your ship while getting attacked 🤔 usually for big multi crew ships 

An update for mobiglass UI along with a new star map that will show interior as well! Much needed for me specially cause I get so lost in the city trying to find stores. New loot screen to make it easier, you get a loot screen so you can harvest with out going into your mobiglass inventory menu. 

"Updating the reputation system so that players can affect their long-term reputation with in-game organizations via means outside of missions, such as reduction of reputation for killing a member of that faction. AI belonging to certain factions will react differently based on their reputation with you. Being an ally provides the player benefits, such as more generous friendly-fire thresholds and providing medical aid. Being an enemy will mean harsher friendly-fire thresholds and may result in an attack on sight. Lawful organizations will not attack on sight as long as they're in a monitored zone, whereas unlawful factions will attack on sight no matter what. This is the foundation which allows players to become allies with in-world criminal factions and enables places like Grim Hex to enforce their own law."

On the tech side (of what we know so far) replication layer update, a necessary part for server meshing (coming with 4.0 build I believe) 

Also image upscaling 

"Implementing support for GPU upscaling, including DLSS, FSR, and an in-house TSR solution." 

With new missions and new events, I know their is going to be other unannounced features hopefully, this is going to be a good big update.

I also had trouble logging in cause I'm a dumbass I tried to log in ptu and I couldn't, deleted everything and redownload (100gb for live pu, 100gb for ptu) only to find out it's evocati only (special test group) 😭😅 now I have to delete my character and restart cause I can't log in😭 (I only had $150k) 😁

• Like 1

GiveMeLiberty78

Thanks for the updates @deadx23, Star Citizen appears to be developing in the right direction, albeit at a very protracted pace. Out of interest, what are your PC specs and how does Star Citizen perform? I appreciate that many factors affect Star Citizen's performance, and that it is still in alpha so I do not expect massive performance optimisations yet, but I was often discouraged by the glossy, look-good-feel-good videos that showed sharp, smooth graphics which never bore any similarity to my actual gameplay experience. I am interested to know how their Gen12 renderer is developing, and whether any part(s) of it are successfully implemented yet.

deadx23

@GiveMeLiberty78

My specs are, 

Amd ryzen 7 5800x 8 core

32 gb ram

SSD (it's highly recommended)

my game settings 3840x 2160 resolution, quality "very high" distance settings are "medium" everything  else is set to high

the performance is decent I'm getting a stable 20-30 fps in city, in space and on planet side it's 25-30 .

ok for testing I lowered my resolution to 2560 x 1440 and fps just shot up to 35-50 fps on planet side, 60-75 fps in space .

performance should be better when they get server meshing ready for build 4.0 this year

gen 12 is implemented on 3.18 (about late 2022) but I don't know much about it 

This is from a dev

The current Gen 12 plan doesn't have anything on it (edit: in externally visible terms) that the engine doesn't do already. The idea is that it provides efficiency improvements and the framework to cleanly switch over to Vulkan.
Looking at the description of HDRP though, these features aren't the kind of thing that we'd think of as being "part of" this renderer. A lot of the concepts (eg light units) that they've neatly wrapped up as features of a specific pipeline are, for us, more like conventions scattered around random parts of the engine.

I Dare to say it's running pretty good, but when they add an update there's always 1-2 weeks of bug's in the live version I usually avoid the game in those times just to avoid headaches 😁 the devs are pretty good in fixing them. The next build 3.23 eptu is performing bad and people don't like the new masters mode it changes flight systems.

I have access and I'm going to try it out as wave 1 is added to the test servers 

this pic was from build 3.22 live  after I lowered my resolution 

spacer.png

Edited by deadx23
Corrections
  • Like 1

GiveMeLiberty78

Thanks @deadx23 for your feedback, the screenshot looks great even at your reported lower resolution. Your reported "35-50 fps on planet side, 60-75 fps in space" fps sounds about right and I think is acceptable; I found that "20-30 fps in city, in space and on planet side it's 25-30" was effectively unplayable, because at those low fps, the game was a slideshow that really detracted from the otherwise-great visuals. Oh, and great ship by the way - is that the collimated HUD that I see on the windshield? RSI can design incredible ships - I particularly like the 315p with the tractor beam and bed for those delivery missions and long-haul solo flights.

Speaking of visuals, I appreciate yeah that the Gen12 renderer currently does not yet make any visual difference; my understanding is that it is about greater efficiency, which as you say server meshing will also improve. But I sense that RSI are adding the Gen12 renderer to give Star Citizen the headroom that it needs to accommodate all of their current and planned graphical improvements, plus the idea of a truly persistent universe. I think that it is an impressive goal, but I still have my doubts whether current and next gen hardware can/will keep pace.

I think that you are brave to try the ePTU, haha! I get it though; software and game development can feel like one step forward, two steps back, but you have a decent spec on your side which should help. Absolutely, I think that Star Citizen really needs an SSD, plus all of the RAM, VRAM, and processing power that you can muster. If/when I get the time, I will dip back into the 'Verse and look you up - I believe that RSI genuinely wants to produce a truly persistent universe (I don't doubt their intentions), but I still doubt whether they can actually achieve it with current hardware, and for how long fans will wait for it even to enter beta testing. You're obviously committed, I hope that Star Citizen ultimately delivers.

• 4 weeks later...
deadx23
Posted (edited)

Alpha update 3.23 live

They change the economy so a cash wipe was done as well as items but any previous in-game bought ship will still be in your hanger!👍  

The features "personal instance hangers" and "item banks" did not make this update but they will release it in a smaller patch 3.23.x 

Replication layer is active as well as vulkan.

So masters mode is active they re-tuned all ship's, in flight mode there is only 2 modes NAV and SCM one is for going normal speed and the other is for higher speed traveling but it forces you to dogfight because changing modes makes you a sitting duck some people don't like it because you don't get a chance to escape but some people like it and say dogfight are better experience but we have to see how it turns out it's not set in stone yet.

Performance (I haven't logged in yet cause I'm making my character right now 😁) but I've read it's mix some people can't log in and are in a queue but that was last night I'll report back. 

Free fly week may 17 - 29th coming up next week 

Edited by deadx23

deadx23

Invictus week , free fly till the 29th.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/invictuslaunchweek2954#/schedule/welcome

The event is multiple in-game companies show of military vehicles, this year they are in arcCorp in area 18 take a shuttle to bivec convention center. 

Multiple/different ships will be available to fly  every day. Could take advantage and make some cash with some ships. 

the next update is confirmed to be 4.0! Coming at the end of September so by October I bet they're getting it ready for citizencon 

in 4.0 there's a new system pyro, a lawless 6 planet system (5 moons) I think there's a "dying star" but they did say they will be "solar burst" that will damage you in certain places that happens randomly (you can see the old version still in arena commander a small area where you can fly) 

Also server meshing! Additional heads and hairstyles for character creator 

Looks like they're adding engineering if you have a big ship you'll have to keep up the maintenance and repairs (I'm not looking forward for this) 

The big upset right now is master modes and a new change for medical vehicles is respawning in med beds, before you couldn't respawn in med beds tier 3 on small med vehicles but now you can and depending on the tier you have depends on the spawn distance from your vehicle. tier 3 you have to park close as their 1 will get a greater distance. I think it's a good move better than spawning back on your home planet hospital. But you'll probably need to stock up cause usually you spawn in in a hospital gown.