Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (93,102 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

RyanBurnsRed

Star Citizen

RyanBurnsRed

I'm ready for it :] I hope 2016 brings a lot of new content. They missed quite a few deadlines this year.

OysterBarron

I was just chuffed they showed some squadron 42 game play. I went on there chat on there website the other evening and the girl who does around the verse was on there answering questions. They said they wouldn't answer any questions regarding content to be presented at citizen con. I asked about how far along was squadron 42 and was met with silence so I thought there's a good chance there will be something shown soon.

RyanBurnsRed

From what I know the majority of the mocap and voice acting is done. That opening speech with Gary Oldman looked amazing. The other footage of the Idris tour needs quite a bit of work though lol.

You also know about the whole citizenship thing right?

OysterBarron

Citizenship? No I don't know tell me now :)

RyanBurnsRed

If you jump straight into the online mode without playing the through SQ42 you will be labelled as a civilian which is the lowest rank I guess in the game. Depending on how well you do in SQ42 will determine if you're granted citizenship in the online mode because one way to attain citizenship is to enlist in the military.

Citizens have more perks than ordinary civilians like owning property, trading with Banu and Xi'an merchants, running for office and becoming a senator, and other stuff. There are also different levels of citizenship you can get based on what you do in the online mode.

219-UEE_PoliticalStructure3.jpg

Imperator is sort of like the president. I don't think a player can ever get to that position. Advocacy seems to fall under police since high-advocate is basically the attorney general, and this branch carries out enforcement of the law.

YukiEiri

Imperator is sort of like the president. I don't think a player can ever get to that position. Advocacy seems to fall under police since high-advocate is basically the attorney general, and this branch carries out enforcement of the law.

Imperator is nothing like a president. Imperator is Emperor and taking from that you have to do military service before you get citizenship, this is clearly heavily modelled after Roman Empire. So no Presidents, just Emperor.

K^2

Imperator is nothing like a president. Imperator is Emperor and taking from that you have to do military service before you get citizenship, this is clearly heavily modelled after Roman Empire. So no Presidents, just Emperor.

Depends on whether we're looking at Roman Republic or Roman Empire. Citizenship through military service worked in both eras, wheras the meaning of the title of Imperator changed. During the days of the Republic, Imperator was, in fact, an elected official. It only became the standard title for Roman authocrats starting with Julius Caesar declaring himself an Imperator of Rome.

The power structure looks like it can go either way. Either late days of the Republic, with highly corrupt government and a lot of power in Imperator's hands, or early days of the Empire, before they've done away with public Senate as a functional structure. Honestly, transition period, with civil wars raging on around the periphery, would probably be the best choice for the setting. So I wouldn't be surprised.

Edit: If some of that sounds like I'm reading off Star Wars chronology, where do you think Lucas got his ideas for the Empire from?

Also, High Advocate sounds like it could be a take on Roman Magistrate. They were basically the implement of Roman authority, and their symbol, fasces, became the name sace for Fascism.

Candy_Licker

Depends on whether we're looking at Roman Republic or Roman Empire. Citizenship through military service worked in both eras, wheras the meaning of the title of Imperator changed. During the days of the Republic, Imperator was, in fact, an elected official. It only became the standard title for Roman authocrats starting with Julius Caesar declaring himself an Imperator of Rome.

The power structure looks like it can go either way. Either late days of the Republic, with highly corrupt government and a lot of power in Imperator's hands, or early days of the Empire, before they've done away with public Senate as a functional structure. Honestly, transition period, with civil wars raging on around the periphery, would probably be the best choice for the setting. So I wouldn't be surprised.

Edit: If some of that sounds like I'm reading off Star Wars chronology, where do you think Lucas got his ideas for the Empire from?

Also, High Advocate sounds like it could be a take on Roman Magistrate. They were basically the implement of Roman authority, and their symbol, fasces, became the name sace for Fascism.

I guess you mean Augustus. Caear proclaimed himself dictator for lifetime. Altough he was hailed imperator multiple times by his troops (and as a bearer consulships/governship), it was Augustus who used it as a permanent praenomen, and it became a fixed part of the titles (like the names (cognomen) Caesar and Augustus themselves) when later "emperors" adopted them.

Imperium was the mandate to command Roman troops, which came along with the 2 highest magistrates (consul + praetor) + proconsuls/propraetores (provincial governors). But it was also an honory title for victorious commanders given by his troops- this was probably introduced by Scipio Africanus to prevent a civil war as his troops had hailed him as rex.

So, imperator/imperium already has multiple meanings in the time of the Roman Republic.

Edited by Candy_Licker

Coin

Could you clarify whether you are saying that Imperator was an elected office during the Republic or that an elected official could go on to be distinguished as Imperator at some point?

OysterBarron

And could you clarify whether this is in game lore you're discussing or specifically roman times? As I'm not up on the game lore!

Candy_Licker

Could you clarify whether you are saying that Imperator was an elected office during the Republic or that an elected official could go on to be distinguished as Imperator at some point?

It was not an office in its own right. Imperium was a constituent of the two highest offices, the praetorship and the consulship. It was a an important feature of their power, not an office in itself. So in this context imperium means =right to lead Roman troops legally. This also included dictators and governors, who were called propraetors and proconsuls (the pro meaning that their powers have been prolongued as a necessity to govern provinces)

On the other hand, the title imperator was given by troops to their commander after important victories. Commanders could be hailed as imperator multiple times, usually this implied the demand to grant him a tiumph.

So in short: imperator was not an official office in the Roman Republic.

Edited by Candy_Licker

K^2

Thanks for the corrections, Candy_Licker. The only thing worse than being wrong is being wrong and not being told about it.

Still, it does sound like it could go either way for Star Citizen. That hierarchy could indicate either an Empire or a Republic.

Candy_Licker

Thanks for the corrections, Candy_Licker. The only thing worse than being wrong is being wrong and not being told about it.

Still, it does sound like it could go either way for Star Citizen. That hierarchy could indicate either an Empire or a Republic.

np, it's not like you were far off. Roman history can be a pain, especially when it comes to constitution and names/offices over a period of 100s of years.

I'm trying to get a grip of the lore, seems indeed similar to Roman history, turning from a Republic to a monarchy in disguise (here, colonel Ivan Messer creates the title of Prime Citizen, which sounds very similar to Augustus, labelling himself princeps). However, at the game's start a few 100 years later, there seems to be a new constitution after another overthrow, with an imperator but with more democratic participation again:

"Imperator: Originally the dictator; after the Messer Era, the UEE restructured the Imperator to more resemble a President (democratically elected, term limits, not insane, etc.). To quote Ivar Messer, “every ship needs a captain.” The position is there to provide a final decision. Bills and legislation start in the Senate, move up to the High-Secretary, then go to the Imperator for approval or veto."

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/12956-Writers-Guide-Part-Two

So, looks like at the game's start it's not an autocracy like the ROman Empire.

Edited by Candy_Licker

RyanBurnsRed

Wow great insight guys. Didn't know they were modelling it after the Roman Empire.

Oyster have you downloaded the PTU? They expanded the social area and added buggies! Also some other stuff I didn't bother reading lol

It's a 33GB download.

OysterBarron

Would explain why the main studios are called cloud imperion games! And no I didn't know about that Ryan will have to check that out. Hopefully I won't have to do 33gb as I've been keeping my game upto date. I read that if you keep it upto date then you don't have to redownload the whole game again everytime.

edit; Ah that's the test server lol well i will wait for push to live so i don't have to download the game loads of times!

5alOEjX.jpg

Edited by OysterBarron

RyanBurnsRed

Star Citizen alpha 2.0 is now available to every backer! No more PTU!

RedDagger

And Star Citizen has now raised $100m! Damn impressive, I have to say.

Osho

This game is insane. Such a complex game world.

RyanBurnsRed

[redacted] :whistle:

Edited by RyanBurnsRed

RyanBurnsRed

CIG just did their holiday livestream and blew minds. Here is a demo showcasing seemeless space to planet entry. This is something I didn't expect until after release but they already have a lot of it done.

Richard Power Colt

How beast of a PC do you need to run this game properly? I heard it's not very well optimized right now. I only have a GTX 950 and an AMD FX-8320.

Edited by Nutsack McQueen

RyanBurnsRed

The 2.0 alpha as it is right now isn't very well optimized. With a Titan X at 1440p I get on average 30 fps in most areas. Lowering to 1080p gives me an extra 10-20 fps on the same settings.

I have no idea how it'd perform on a 950. I'm hoping performance and stability is fixed in the next update.

OysterBarron

Had such a great night the other night shame we've so many issues getting on the same server :( . Managed to team up with another 4 players and multicrew a retaliator that one of the crew owned. We raced round to the different places of the solar system taking down little ships and battling a constellation until it warped out with its tail between its legs. It all ended with us biting off more than we could chew with a massive battle of small ships and a constellation teaming up on us eventually destroying us. Was an epic fight to the death and was a epic taste of what to expect from the persistent universe in terms of space battles.

Richard Power Colt

You can try the game for free right now until friday I think. I played the game for a bit. Ran like sh*t even on low and I was pretty confused as to how things work, but I'm really intrigued by how it'll turn out. I might try it out again with a friend tomorrow. Right now I just wanna say that I love the environment designs. The game really looks like a cool sci-fi movie.

Played the game more today. I learned a bit more about the mechanics. The gameplay seems pretty solid from what I can tell, one annoying bit was when I spent like several minutes trying to take down this one pirate ship. There was even another guy shooting at it, but it still took forever to get destroyed even though I kept hitting it pretty often. I guess it might have had enough time to recover shields every now and then. Felt like it was a bit too resilient or maybe I'm just a noob idk. Anyway, I like how everything in the game is so seemless. You can explore all these cool big areas without any loading times and quickly transition from spaceship to infantry combat. And the eventual ability to land on planets looks really dope.

I really can't wait for the full version of this game. I just need to upgrade my PC before then. This game would be f*cking amazing on a VR headset btw.

Edited by Nutsack McQueen

JamesGoblin

Not really my type (medieval fantasy freak), but I wish Chris all the best, cuz the future of gaming pretty much depends on SC fate.

El Dildo

the future of gaming pretty much depends on SC fate.

....I'm sorry wut?

Hit by Lightning

Saw this yesterday morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b070w3zm/click-13022016

Click-13/02/2016

The team go behind the scenes of $100m crowd-funded game Star Citizen.

They even visited their studio and interviewed Chris Roberts. This is a bit unusual from the BBC :D

Edited by Hit by Lightning

RyanBurnsRed

Can't watch it because it's only available to UK residents :/

Osho

Does this offer a healthy ( bigger ) single player campaign with all features included or it works in the same way as V/Online with two separate modes having features shared???

OysterBarron

Yeah pretty much 2 different distinctive modes. It's not yet clear if you will be able to buy or purchase ships in the single player story campaign I've a feeling it will only be certain military vessels that you will get to pilot in that whereas the persistent universe will offer the wealth of features that are being touted!

@Ryan

You didn't miss much just Chris telling us stuff that we all ready know about the crowd funding story and a small tour around one of there UK offices.

Edited by OysterBarron