2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

RyanBurnsRed

Star Citizen

jpm1

you need to make the game look to a game, and not a demo, if you want FPS improvements. GTAO features only a small island, with no interiors, and look the hardware you need to be able to play maxed out with good fps. they slaughtered the handling, they removed 3D objects in the streets, reduced peds density, never put new cars inside traffic..the last time i played SC was years ago, and the game looked way too beautiful. i mean the FPS was absolutely horrible

mark.gunt22
On 9/22/2018 at 9:38 PM, jpm1 said:

you need to make the game look to a game, and not a demo, if you want FPS improvements. GTAO features only a small island, with no interiors, and look the hardware you need to be able to play maxed out with good fps. they slaughtered the handling, they removed 3D objects in the streets, reduced peds density, never put new cars inside traffic..the last time i played SC was years ago, and the game looked way too beautiful. i mean the FPS was absolutely horrible

They slaughtered the handling? What do you even mean? Also what does the car handling have to do with the FPS?

Dryspace

@mark.gunt22

It's difficult to extract meaning from that post, but to answer your question, better, more realistic vehicle handling requires the calculation of physics in real time, which requires CPU cycles and affects framerate. GTAV has rather simple vehicle mechanics that is--I believe--based mostly on lookup tables. This is fast, but does not provide the flexibility needed for a wide variety of situations. This is why vehicles in GTAV handle mostly the way one would expect until something extreme happens, in which case the vehicle reacts in a very unrealistic manner.

@jpm1

You must keep in mind that Star Citizen isn't a game, it's a game in development. As with any game that is being developed, it's simply not possible to make judgments about technical aspects. It would be like complaining that a sword is too soft, hot, and orange, or that a concrete slab is too mushy, or that a barrel of wine tastes like grape juice. One must withhold reservations of a technical nature until the product is deemed complete.

Having said that, Star Citizen does put one in mind of the Sagrada Família...

deadx23

So there was a change in the road map, they moved object container streaming (ocs) to build 3.3.0 :panic: it's back on for oct. 10th but hurston and it's moon is STILL scheduled for 3.3.3 a build closer than 3.3.5 that is canceled. It's most likely will be on the ptu before live release but I'm sure ptu will be open to every member.1 more day away :D I hear from the evocaty (specific test group) that ocs is running better than expected and fps is much higher in the 100's but we will know for sure once they get a larger group in the verse.

I am excited about the a.i. combat and it's missions and with ocs I hope everything goes well.  A new mission giver on levski is also being implemented 

OhutyqW.png

Looks like carrot top lol if I remember correctly you have to do some simple missions before you can get missions from designated NPC's 

F.o.i.p 

Will also be a cool feature for those who don't k now what this is, it's a feature Wich with a webcam (any webcam) will follow your face expressions and translate them on to your character so yea you can make your character make silly faces :lol: and with it voice over i.p. but if I read correctly only people in your current area and not everyone like in gtao but I'm not sure we will have to see or hear :p

im going to jump on the first chance I get.

Dryspace

What in the heck is wrong with that woman's arms? In fact her entire body? That body is scary even for a man.

jpm1

artistic view of future. dominated by productivism

Richard Power Colt

Citizencon live stream going on right now. If you have a Star Citizen account you can watch it here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizencon/livestream/main

They're having some technical issues like always...

edit: Audio still out of sync. When they said they were gonna stream on their own website instead of Twitch I knew it wasn't gonna go well.

edit: Lol it's on Twitch now. Audio is fixed:

Edited by Richard Power Colt

Dryspace

Any idea why they would use their own site?

Richard Power Colt
3 minutes ago, Dryspace said:

Any idea why they would use their own site?

They wanted to make people pay money to watch the stream at first, but obviously people weren't happy with that so they changed it.

Dryspace

Phew...

To be honest, it seems like they're going overboard with the, well...monetization I suppose is accurate. Hadn't they pulled in hundreds of millions of dollars already a few years ago?

I know that if I were actually investing a lot of money in this project, I would want to take a good look at the financials. You can burn through money at an astonishing rate if you don't have a good road map in place--and someone who is forcing everyone to stick to it.

Richard Power Colt

You can see how much money they've made here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Looks to be lagging a bit right now, probably due to all the people tuning into the stream. They've had multiple studios for years now so it's possible they've already burnt through a lot of the backer funds. I've heard tho that they do also have some private investors that they haven't disclosed publicly.

edit: Also this year's demo wasn't all that special imo. We didn't really see a whole lot that was new. I'm glad that we'll finally be able to buy ships with ingame money tho and hopefully Object Container Streaming will make performance passable at least.

edit: Then again I guess what they showed here is much closer to release than all the stuff they've showed in previous demos. So that's something.

Edited by Richard Power Colt

Dryspace

The thing about performance that I find troubling is that I didn't see anything that blew me away, or in any way indicated a reason for the very low framerate and hitching/freezing.

If the problems I experienced were just as bad, but what I saw and experienced really impressed me, and there was clearly a reason for the hardware to be struggling, I would be more optimistic; or rather, more excited I should say.

From what I understood about the project I was expecting something amazing at least to some degree, but I honestly saw nothing that impressed me in at all. And of course with the performance as it was, there was nothing I could do but look around.

Richard Power Colt

The performance problems so far have been mostly network related I believe and that's being addressed in the next patch. If you were to play offline then it would run significantly better. 

I do think there is a pretty impressive amount of detail and scale for an MMO, especially with the city planet shown in the new demo.

My real concern is how much fun will this game really be in the long run. It seems like there's going to be a lot of long travel times in this game which might feel immersive at first, but I imagine would get frustrating over time especially if there's going to be a long grind for buying things. I'm also worried about how well are all the game's systems gonna come together as something cohesive and balanced. Chris Roberts seems to just kinda wanna throw in a bunch of stuff that sounds cool. 

deadx23

Can you spot Henry cavill !!! 😮

I didn't even know he was in it! 

#answerthecall