3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

darthYENIK

Gotham the Batman prequel TV show

IDredMan

This episode was great. Just great. I loved it. The plot is in full throttle, I just found out this has like ..14 episodes so they won't have to prolong it for the most useless reasons which is good.

Although, the actor for Zsasz should have been about 10 years younger. This guy looks like mid thirties, way older than Batman.

I still want to know when this f*cking thing takes place. God damn.

And can we please get rid of the same exact "Last time on Gotham" type of sequence that plays at the start of every episode? Plez? PLZ?

I also have a perfectly accurate theory about Bruce Wayne in this series.

It involves a very f*cked-up conversation I had with a friend.

Remember the Make-A-Wish cancer kid who wanted to be Batman, and they transformed a whole city into Gotham and made him Batman for a day?

So we thought what if that kid went to the Make-A-Wish foundation with his parents, told the guy "I WANNA BE BATMAN!" and the guy just pulled out a gun from under his desk and shot his parents on the spot.

So what Bruce is thinking is "Oh boy, I'm gonna be Batman in 20 years! Rip in peace mom and dad."

That theory still has no effect on Alfred. The fact that he kicked Allen's ass is just pure Alfred badassery.

Moonshield

I think I'm done with the show. The dude that plays Cobblepot and Donal Logue are the only redeeming factors. There's too much sh*t thrown into each episode, the plots are muddy, and Batman references are awkwardly shoehorned in (everything involving Selina Kyle, The Riddler, etc). Plus Jim Gordon is a one dimensional broody dick.

Cult Of Personality

Because this is what Gotham needed: Another iconic villain! As a kid! During a panel for Stan Lee's Comikaze event, Gotham director Danny Cannon revealed the Fox show will add the Scarecrow this season. "We're breaking the story now," Cannon said, and Fox confirmed the addition to EW. According to Zap2It, the villain will be seen as a child, before he takes on the Scarecrow name. "In fact, it's something that will be passed on to him from his father, which will create an eventual enemy for Batman while still having a possible adversary for Jim Gordon."

Source: http://www.imdb.com/news/ni57960416/?ref_=hm_nw_tp_t2

1253886001_office-no.gif

Edited by In Bed With Jed

Girish

Wow. They might have as well created an altogether new storyline and called the show BATKID. Then you just dress them all up and have them fight in the school cafeteria.

darthYENIK

I think I'm done with the show. The dude that plays Cobblepot and Donal Logue are the only redeeming factors. There's too much sh*t thrown into each episode, the plots are muddy, and Batman references are awkwardly shoehorned in (everything involving Selina Kyle, The Riddler, etc). Plus Jim Gordon is a one dimensional broody dick.

If I wasn't such a rabid bat-fan, I'd be with you. But I'll continue watching and cringing when they do things like what they did with Zsasz, turning a psychotic serial killer obsessed with cutting with knives, into a mafia button man who shoots guns.

Fox sure has perfected the art of f*cking great concepts in the ass.

Edit: @Girish, that's why the Kevin Smith/Paul Dini concept show that they came up with just before the announcement of Gotham would've been a better choice. As I mentioned earlier in this topic, it's about Bruce Wayne at boarding school, and allowed all of Batman's rogues gallery to appear in some capacity. None of this shoehorning.

Edited by darthYENIK

Girish

Edit: @Girish, that's why the Kevin Smith/Paul Dini concept show that they came up with just before the announcement of Gotham would've been a better choice. As I mentioned earlier in this topic, it's about Bruce Wayne at boarding school, and allowed all of Batman's rogues gallery to appear in some capacity. None of this shoehorning.

That sounds a f*ckload better than what they are doing with Gotham. In fact, anything would sound better than this sh*t. The whole problem stems from introducing too many characters too f*cking early within a short space of time. I'm sure by the end of the season we would have seen half the villains already.

Although I'm with you on continuing to watch the show, YENIK. Solely because Batman is the only character in the DC universe that I'm insanely fond of and anything to do with that character needs to be watched no matter how crappy it might be. After all, we did watch Batman & Robin, didn't we? :p

darthYENIK

I've watched it more times than any person should.

Girish

I'm controlling a huge urge to re-watch it right now. That, and Batman Forever.

IDredMan

Can we ...Stop?

The Penguin is great.

Nigma, I can deal with.

Zsasz is ...Pushing it.

Now Scarecrow? What the f*ck, show?

The show's already shown some golden stuff. We know it can pull some quality characters out of it's butt. It doesn't have to pull out some BATMAN villains when Batman won't be around for at least 20 years.

Maybe focus on Gordon, make him a better characters.

Or more Bullock. Or Falcone. Or even f*cking Alfred kicking ass... Jesus.

About the old Batman movies.

When I was a young little child dickhead without any standards, I used to like all the Batman movies. I was the average sheep who licked all the sh*t that was thrown at my face.

Only a few years ago is when I rewatched the whole thing. And my god, did I hate my child self even more.

darthYENIK

I have no problem with Scarecrow. As long as he's not Scarecrow. Jonathan Crane is who I wouldn't mind seeing. He seems like a character that could be much older than Bruce. He's not a fighter really, he sprays his gas and let's the person's demons do the fighting.

Other characters I don't mind seeing:

Jonathan Crane

Tony Zucco (killed Dick Grayson's parents)

Haly's Circus (including the flying Graysons)

Basil Karlo (Clayface)

The Court of Owls (Including Talon and Strix)

Jonah Hex

These are all legit characters that at the time could be around. Jonah Hex would be a stretch outside of flashbacks.

There are plenty of characters that they can dig out of Batman's time, to put a decade or so earlier.

I'm still kind of upset that they want to have Bruce say, "Stop talking to me like a child." And have Alfred just stand there "yessir-ing" at him, while Gordon begrudgingly abides. Bruce Wayne's father died, but Alfred needs to be his second father. Not just a servant. We haven't seen that since the first episode when he yelled at him to get off the roof. I'm sorry for sounding like a broken record, but it's just disappointing.

Edit: and Arnold Wesker (AKA the Ventriloquist)

Edited by darthYENIK

IDredMan

Yo what the f*ck was that sh*t?

The big twist of the show is that they ARE going with the Bruce Wayne in school plot lines. And they wanna sh*t on that, too.

No words can describe this episode, man ...No words.

Even the Penguin part was pretty useless... He did nothing interesting.

We loved Penguin because he was the most interesting character of the show... But the writers seem to think that throwing him in a scene instantly makes it good.

Also f*ck Catwoman. f*ck her.

Oh, and f*ck their sh*tty attempt at Black Mask.

And f*ck Hush.

Cult Of Personality

I'm done with the show. I gave it ten episodes but it's a lost cause at this point. Someone let me know if the Arkham Aslyum bits are any good.

darthYENIK

I thought the last couple episodes have been okay. Sure they wedged Selina in there, but they did it in a way that made Bruce stop acting out of character of an 11 year old boy.

I'm interested now. Of course I hope they don't make Harvey Dent too much like "big bad Harv" too soon.

IDredMan

How the 10th episode of a 16-episode show can possibly be this irrelevant to anything is beyond me.

AboveAndBeyoncé

I like Gotham... Nice show it's very tone setting in certain scenes

IDredMan

I'm gonna be the first to say this:

What the f*ck.

The show's been on for months.

They HAVE to know that noone gives a f*ck about Selina, Ivy or Jim's love life.

They HAVE to know that the show's main attraction is the Penguin and the mob stuff.

So why are they doing this?

krashr

i don't usually come in just to complain, but the only thing i liked about this episode was seeing the firefly chick as dr. thompkins.

3tuqt8.jpg

Mak

Okay, that was a bit dull, not the best episode.

IDredMan

Gotham had a very irrelevant mid season finale.

And had a pretty meh return for the second half.

And couldn't provide content for the week after that.

IDredMan

f*ck yeah, Don the Jon Carmaun Falcawne.

After 3 months, the plot finally advanced...

I'v literally only watched the show for this moment where Falcone just decides that everyone can go f*ck themselves and kick some ass!

To quote past-Dred:

I really wanna see Falcone, Penguin or Alfred kick some ass soon. Good characters kicking ass physically or metaphorically or both is always great.

Yeah.

Also ...Does anyone remember when the plot was finding the Wayne's killer? Good times.

krashr

i was all set to finally say goodbye to this show if this episode was as bad as the last one, but it was a little better.. mainly because there was a bit of comeuppance for fish and i want to see her die. i was hoping it was about to happen at the end, but nay.

a part of me also hoped that penguin would humiliate and then end fish that episode, only to be told by falcone that liza would take fish's place and not him, thus sending penguin into another set of mental games.. it was good to see falcone sort out liza with his own hands, but i would've liked to see more of her, she was so gosh darn purrdy =(

i guess i'm invested for at least another show or two, if only just to watch fish die (i keep telling myself, one more show, it might get good, it's batman stuff, it might get good, just watch one more).. eventually though, i will have to draw the line.

i wonder if jada pinkett gets home from a hard day's work on the gotham set and will smith just looks at her and shakes his head

krashr

the torture scenes with fish's bad acting were extremely cringe worthy, coupled with a very unsatisfying ending involving her staying alive and promising to return. i did find it amusing that the guy's confession was on cassette tape though.. modern mobiles, old chunky computers and tape players heh

darthYENIK

That's what they're going for. A timeless late 20th/early 21st century feeling.

krashr

yeah i did read that somewhere, i feel it isn't really working well though

darthYENIK

It's because time is measured by technology. The time period can't be any older than the youngest piece of technology.

It's all a symptom of comic books lasting decades upon decades. Bruce Wayne was a child in the 1920s but at his oldest he's still in a future that has flying cars. So it's somewhat of a necessity to be ambiguous in time.

I like it. But I like the way a classic Cutlass Supreme looks.

Edited by darthYENIK

krashr

i get what you're saying, but to me technology isn't timeless to the point where i should see for example a typewriter being latest tech for doing one thing in a world of mobiles for other things sorta thing. personally i think the "timeless gotham" statement was just a cop out on their behalf due to the writers being confused themselves about when to set it and changing their minds as the episodes went along..

with all the comics etc, i know there is a massive choice for when things could be set and i think the show would've been a lot better if they'd had the balls to pick a time and stick with it, even trying out a timeline where bruce is a kid in 2014 could've been interesting if they wanted to explore that avenue, but i think the writing is where the show falls short in a lot of ways, so even that probably would've been bad.. for me the writing is where the main problems are..

i don't mind how they are doing a few future tech things in the old world of agent carter, like the typewriter and mini camera type stuff, because i'll happily believe stark is inventing stuff ahead of his time. at this point in gotham though, it takes away a bit of immersion imo

IDredMan

Well, I mean ...One phone had a song from Rocky as the ringtone, so it can't be anything before that came out.

Nuggets

I watching the first episode and I'm in 16:25 minutes. Man the soundtrack is s*itty. I mean 30's music would have been better. Who the hell chose alternative rock or whatever the f*ck that was in the ''Gordon and Bullock teach bad guys lessons'' scenes. I would have hoped for something more realistic and gray but this is like Batman and Robin only in TV. Too fast paced. Not dirty enough. There are some interesting moments about the characters though. What I'm asking U is this worth watching? Will this get any better after the first episode?

Edit. Well I'll admit I was a bit harsh with the Batman and Robin comment.

Edit 2. Well it gets better after the first episode. The story of the characters aren't like in the comics but they are good enough. Worth watching if U like batman.

Edited by Nuggets

J-B

Dear 20th Century Fox,

Just cancel this and give us a NightWing or Red Hood series.

Sincerely, This Guy.

Edited by J-B

darthYENIK

I want a Batman TV show. I know people generally feel like batman should have a movie. But where TV is at this day and age, I'm confident they'd be able to get a TV show correct, and give us more than if he's just in movies.

As for Nightwing and/or any of the Bat family. I would prefer they would be made in the Arrowverse. That way we could see a JLA type situation with Green Arrow, Flash, Black Canary, and anyone else. Plus, Red Hood and Arsenal along with Starfire are a team. That'd be cool to see Red Hood and the Outlaws, since we're probably not going to see much of the Suicide Squad on the small screen with the movie coming out. WB has a thing about that type of stuff.