2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

IckyDoodyPoopoo

Here I critique user created races, starting with Luap

IckyDoodyPoopoo

It's reasonably easy to follow, though I looked at my map quite often while driving it. I think you should add checkpoints to the start section up to the tunnel, starting with one that's visible out of the first turn, preferably pointing down the angle of the second turn. From there, you should try to follow the first two general rules for CPs in my next post, which is directed at all creators.

Here are some checkpoints I would change: CP 6 points you in the wrong direction, CP 11 points you down a dead end, CP 14 points into a rock

IckyDoodyPoopoo

Icky's General rules for checkpoint placement:

1) Make each CP visible from the last. On some tracks you can fudge this a bit, mostly when there are no intersections between CPs.
2) Make the chevron of each CP point down the path/in the direction that you want the driver to follow.
3) Don't stack CP's unnecessarily , particularly before a turn.
4) Put each CP on a DRIVER's driving line. A DRIVER wants to go outside, inside, outside on each turn. If your CPs unnaturally restrict the driving line, with no respect for natural obstacles, then the driver will be annoyed and uncomfortable. For example, if your course directs the driver around a natural obstacle, let's say a light pole, then your CP should allow the driver to put his fender right on the light pole during the turn without missing the CP. If the driver can miss the CP here, then you as a creator have failed. Try to let the obstacles on your track determine the driving line.
5) Make sure the driver knows what to do at each intersection. If the track takes a turn, put a C/P at the corner. Generally and preferably, place it such that the outside edge touches the inside curb at the apex of the turn for street races. If the track continues straight then you must have a checkpoint in plain view, it doesn't need to be at the intersection.

A few tips:

- A great way to learn the major pitfalls in custom race creation is to play other people's tracks
- The best way to find the major flaws in your track is to follow a driver around your course. Don't be that douchebag who normally races with catch up on but turns it off when he finally gets people to drive his track and then ups the laps to make a 10 minute race, bets on himself and laps the pack as everyone stumbles around the course.
- If you promote your track, first ask yourself, "Is this at least as good as a Rstar track"? If the answer is no, then you're being self indulgent.

Edited by IckyDoodyPoopoo

sYko DiamondZ

It's reasonably easy to follow, though I looked at my map quite often while driving it. I think you should add checkpoints to the start section up to the tunnel, starting with one that's visible out of the first turn, preferably pointing down the angle of the second turn. From there, you should try to follow the first two general rules for CPs in my next post, which is directed at all creators.

Here are some checkpoints I would change: CP 6 points you in the wrong direction, CP 11 points you down a dead end, CP 14 points into a rock

Anything else I should add?

IckyDoodyPoopoo

Diamond,

Just CP's leading to the tunnel, it's tough for me to say how many or where without tweaking around in the creator.

Aardoo

Id love to know what you think of my race, a tunnel based crisscrossing race, that is equal parts fun and terror! fortune favours the brave http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/jobs/job/ZGUYMqvcQk641MJZ0afZxA?platformId=2

please try get as many players in the lobby to really get a feel for the thinking behind the track. Listening to their reactions as the race progresses is brilliant

Edited by Aardoo

IckyDoodyPoopoo

Sorry, I'm on Xbox

Aardoo

its worth buying a PS3 for!

Nitty Don

1) Make each CP visible from the last. On some tracks you can fudge this a bit, mostly when there are no intersections between CPs.

2) Make the chevron of each CP point down the path/in the direction that you want the driver to follow.

3) Don't stack CP's unnecessarily , particularly before a turn.

4) Put each CP on a DRIVER's driving line. A DRIVER wants to go outside, inside, outside on each turn. If your CPs unnaturally restrict the driving line, with no respect for natural obstacles, then the driver will be annoyed and uncomfortable. For example, if your course directs the driver around a natural obstacle, let's say a light pole, then your CP should allow the driver to put his fender right on the light pole during the turn without missing the CP. If the driver can miss the CP here, then you as a creator have failed. Try to let the obstacles on your track determine the driving line.

5) Make sure the driver knows what to do at each intersection. If the track takes a turn, put a C/P at the corner. Generally and preferably, place it such that the outside edge touches the inside curb at the apex of the turn for street races. If the track continues straight then you must have a checkpoint in plain view, it doesn't need to be at the intersection.

A few tips:

- A great way to learn the major pitfalls in custom race creation is to play other people's tracks

- The best way to find the major flaws in your track is to follow a driver around your course. Don't be that douchebag who normally races with catch up on but turns it off when he finally gets people to drive his track and then ups the laps to make a 10 minute race, bets on himself and laps the pack as everyone stumbles around the course.

- If you promote your track, first ask yourself, "Is this at least as good as a Rstar track"? If the answer is no, then you're being self indulgent.

great advice :) lets hope some people read this !!

IckyDoodyPoopoo

its worth buying a PS3 for!

Ahaahhaa

IckyDoodyPoopoo

BumpyJohnson, Weave or Jump

Fun for the first 2/3rds. The part were you have to go through the buses is pure novelty and I don't think anyone would know what to do here. The first lap, I stopped and went back to get in that tight entrance, the second lap I saw the jump. Fwiw, I did read the description before driving it.

For the most part, the CP placement is pretty good. The one gripe I have is that you can miss lots of CPs on the inside (a huge pet peeve of mine). In pursuit of the fastest line on this track a driver should be thinking "how close can I get to this container without hitting my fender", instead the driver is thinking "how far inside can I go without missing he CP". There is a big difference here since the containers are tangible objects with distinct borders, there's no guess work. While the CP does have distinct borders, you can't actually see them because the yellow cloud doesn't represent the total size of the CP hitbox (the hitbox is bigger). The driver is always guessing. Moreover its just nice for the driver to have something on the inside/at the apex point of the turn to focus on. Your track offers this on nearly every turn with its natural barriers, yet you take it away with the CP placement. CP 12 is a good example, there are a quite a few though.

IckyDoodyPoopoo

BumpyJohnson, Jumping Down The Drain

This is fun. I don't think I'm really qualified to give tips for improvement on this type of track (though I would move CP 11 to the right).

BumpyJohnson, Hairpins And Curves

Better than Rstar, nothing more needs to be said. That's the last I'll be doing from that list though (no good reason, jut lazy).

deffjeff87

Hey Icky I worked on one of the maps that you reviewed

heres the second try for Combo #2. I removed a decent amount of checkpoints especially on straights

http://rsg.ms/1hg5egv

elless777

sounds to me like this is a LuapYllier: loving thread.

If you want to critique, choose one race from different people, including people you DON'T know.

lock this nonsence please or start making glory loving threads about everyone.

deejayb1874

Thread title: Here I critique user created races, starting with Luap.

Yes. He STARTED by reviewing Luap's races.

He's since went on to critique other users races.

The only problem I see here is the thread title.

No Luap love-in here...

(Love you Luap xx)

elless777

Thread title: Here I critique user created races, starting with Luap.

Yes. He STARTED by reviewing Luap's races.

He's since went on to critique other users races.

The only problem I see here is the thread title.

No Luap love-in here...

(Love you Luap xx)

Please lock this crap.

OP make a diff thread and get ppl to pm you their races. Then advertise your thoughts.

As for Deejay...go back under that trytowindthemup rock you crawled out from.

Edited by elless777

Cuz05

great advice :) lets hope some people read this !!

Agreed. See that Checkpoint Placement Guide thread I started? This should go in there too. I'm hoping that we can all create a thread that is worth pinning, for all those people that need help in this area. Whether they know it or not....

C&Pd the quote, hope you don't mind.

Please lock this crap.

OP make a diff thread and get ppl to pm you their races. Then advertise your thoughts.

As for Deejay...go back under that trytowindthemup rock you crawled out from.

Decided to waste a quote to point out what a waste of a post this is.

Edited by Cuz05

LuapYllier

To top it off...icky and I had never spoken prior to this thread and he has reviewed other peoples tracks since...you obviously didnt read the thread Ellis whatever your name is...you just wanted to flame someone...and then you have the nerve to call someone else out on winding people up lol.

deejayb1874

Seems to me I have wound him up. Without trying to wind him up. Got to love randoms on the internet sometimes.

'Icky and Luap up a tree. K.I.S.S.I.N.G'

deffjeff87

decided not to add more to the flaming and defense of this poster cause i know hes not in the wrong and im thankful that hes taking time out of his day to review our races

Edited by deffjeff87

Thegemte

LuapYllier:

Centrifugal Observations - Fantastic. I'm probably a bit partial to this track because one of my own races uses the same loop, but Luap's version is pretty perfect. C/Ps are spot on, the props are great, they really give the course a great feel while accentuating the trouble spots. Grade: A+

While I'm at the observatory, I wanna talk about Observe and Race...

Rockstar Verified:

Observe and Race - The C/Ps on this track are well placed. The course is fun to race and fun to hotlap, the only problem I have with the track is the choice of route. By choosing the counter-clockwise route, the creator has introduced the race population to a Turn of Death, i.e., a turn where everyone wrecks on their first time through. That turn, in this race, is the final turn; a tight, blind, upward-sloping turn that chews everyone up. Exacerbating the danger, the creator adds dynamic barrels and staggered cabins to the outside of the turn, so when the racer inevitable overshoots the turn, the barrels will spin him out and/or he'll catch the edge of one of the cabins. It's almost as though the creator wanted mayhem here?

Grade: C+

My version, much like Luap's but with a twist - All Snaked Out

True i do like mayhem. The turn of death sort of came about when i thought of a local discontinued main road that was stupidly sharp but do-able. Glad you like the C/P points as i try to position them best. I ran the tests in a Sultan RS when it was created. The original had comment to let people know of the last bend (not that people read the comments on the Social club) the barrels could ignite, but only happened to me once.

BumpyJohnson

BumpyJohnson, Weave or Jump

Fun for the first 2/3rds. The part were you have to go through the buses is pure novelty and I don't think anyone would know what to do here. The first lap, I stopped and went back to get in that tight entrance, the second lap I saw the jump. Fwiw, I did read the description before driving it.

For the most part, the CP placement is pretty good. The one gripe I have is that you can miss lots of CPs on the inside (a huge pet peeve of mine). In pursuit of the fastest line on this track a driver should be thinking "how close can I get to this container without hitting my fender", instead the driver is thinking "how far inside can I go without missing he CP". There is a big difference here since the containers are tangible objects with distinct borders, there's no guess work. While the CP does have distinct borders, you can't actually see them because the yellow cloud doesn't represent the total size of the CP hitbox (the hitbox is bigger). The driver is always guessing. Moreover its just nice for the driver to have something on the inside/at the apex point of the turn to focus on. Your track offers this on nearly every turn with its natural barriers, yet you take it away with the CP placement. CP 12 is a good example, there are a quite a few though.

Thanks for checking out my races. The part were you have to go through the buses is actually meant to be a choice. You can weave thru the buses to shave time or take the jump. Most ppl I've seen actually don't realize you can go thru the buses. I always see them take the jump. A lot of times I wait at that turn so they can see me go thru the buses so they know that's an option. I'll adjust the check points tho. Thanks for the tip on that.

Please check out my other races when you get time. Also, if you don't mind please bookmark them and share so they get more use. I cant seem to show them to anyone bcuz rarely anybody joins when I set them up. They pay really good when there are a bunch of ppl and you do like 3 laps. Thanks again and hopefully you can give me some reviews for my other races. Peace

Edited by BumpyJohnson