Alvinz10000

GTA IV vs GTA V

GTA IV vs GTA V  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay

2. 2. Story/Characters

3. 3. Place

Stoney0503

I personally felt Vs fighting was more responsive than IVs.

This.

dognuts

Fair enough. I personally felt Vs fighting was more responsive than IVs. I don't dislike IVs and I don't think it's bad. I just think Vs felt tighter.

V's was more responsive, moves connected better, but that's mainly because of the lock-on lunge they put in and the fact you can hold the dodge button to counter-attack. I like how they added in back-elbows for when people are behind you, but they got rid so much more important stuff that i don't find that one addition to be worth it.

marco6158

I prefer V gameplay as there are more things to do, doesn't mean I don't like IV's gameplay.

For store, characters and place I prefer IV because the story is more "sentimental", various characters and the city is still beautiful and full of life even since 2008

woggleman

This is a small thing but changing and buying clothes in V is much easier. You just scroll through what you want and you are wearing it. In IV Niko takes forever to try on everything and in SA too. If only the game didn't change clothes for you during switch scenes.

Gnocchi Flip Flops

This is a small thing but changing and buying clothes in V is much easier. You just scroll through what you want and you are wearing it. In IV Niko takes forever to try on everything and in SA too. If only the game didn't change clothes for you during switch scenes.

Agreed.

To be honest, fighting just comes down to preference. You can post videos all you want but all it shows is fighting. It's not a big deal, it's better than average in both games. I prefer IV but that's just because it's more flexible with more options/opportunities. V is crisper but I just don't like it as much.

Preference, simple as that. Just like the driving. Which is why I was baffled as to why MichiganMuscle77 responded to me so negatively and ruling my opinion as almost worthless because "I'm in the minority."

And to the mod/led-by who deleted my other post, maybe read the whole argument beforehand. If you did that already, then why didn't you remove his post as well? Deleting posts doesn't help a debate at all, that just makes it choppy.

Edited by Sting4S

woggleman

The ideal fighting would V's speed and fluidity with SA variety and make it so that one punch doesn't kill somebody. If you want a knockout punch you have to press a specific button and catch somebody by surprise.

Shadowfennekin

V's better in every way, IV was a yawns feast compared to it. Tried to play IV again last month, immediately took the disc back out and plugged back in the Xbox One. V superior!

CarnageRacing00

The ideal fighting would V's speed and fluidity with SA variety and make it so that one punch doesn't kill somebody. If you want a knockout punch you have to press a specific button and catch somebody by surprise.

It would be cool if you could train your GTA O character at different gyms for different fighting styles.

Gnocchi Flip Flops

V's better in every way, IV was a yawns feast compared to it. Tried to play IV again last month, immediately took the disc back out and plugged back in the Xbox One. V superior!

I don't mind V fans and I don't mind IV fans. Fanboys though? They're a real pain in the ass and I'm getting the impression that you're one. You're being incredibly vague and not telling us why you think V is better. If you're just going to come in here and say V is better and that IV sucked without an explanation and then leave, then you can stay gone because you're not contributing. And that goes for anybody straight up bashing V without any explanation too.

Riley Hudson

This is becoming absurd. I know everyone has an opinion. But GTA IV fans, most of you happen to admit that GTA V has more and better variety in it's gamplay. But yet you still choose GTA IV's gameplay. I don't get it. Am I missing something, out of here this situation?

It's called opinions. And like I said before, claims of V gameplay being more varied is disputable.

How?

It's more restricted. Can't run in an interior, can't crouch, can't grab on to ledges, can't put out weapon in an interior, falling down when bumping into something small, crappy hand-to-hand combat, etc.

Some of your point are little off.

In GTA IV, stumbling was a problem. Wasn't there a glitch where you stumbled down a hill and couldn't control yourself? Yes you can enter areas with guns. All you have to do is aim your gun while entering. The fighting wasn't crappy at all. The combination just weren't as good.

The rest of that stuff is true. However it doesn't make GTA V more restricted or make GTA IV have better gameplay, for that matter. There's a lot of things that people actually care about that you can't do in GTA V.

Edited by Riley Hudson

Miamivicecity

To the guys discussing the melee I agree GTA V is more fluid, but there's still no excuse for it lacking the variety of counters from GTA IV.

RedDagger

To the guys discussing the melee I agree GTA V is more fluid, but there's still no excuse for it lacking the variety of counters from GTA IV.

Yeah, fluidity is all well and good but if the fighting practically plays itself then the fluidity means nothing - complexity and variety is always welcome because it makes things interesting, more interactive and less repetitive, but V's fighting (to me) failed in that regard.

dognuts

the fighting practically plays itself

That's exactly it! Well put, man.

Sometimes in V, your character will automatically deal the finishing blow without you pressing anything at all. For instance, sometimes i want to damage an enemy enough so that the next punch he goes for, i'll dodge and his health will be low enough for me to instantly kill him with the counter. HOWEVER, sometimes, after 3 or 4 punches, i will stop pressing B but my character will STILL do that dinky shin kick and kill the enemy, without me even pressing a button. And the fact you can literally hold X and the AI will never be able to hit you is hilarious.

You said it perfect, the fighting in V plays itself.

winter.ak

Gameplay - V - I like 5's gameplay better than 4. It's smoother. neater and it just feels right. 4 just felt really slow and 5 feels more realistic.

Story - IV - 4's story was more dramatic and dark than 5's. Niko comes to America hoping to live the dream, but is fooled and slowly works his way up the criminal underground ladder working as a ruthless hitman for self centered drug dealers and mob bosses. 5 however, didn't have the cruelty 4 did.

Location - IV - This was a tough one for me, but in the end I chose 4. One reason is that I live in New York City and the game's setting hit home for me. Don't get me wrong, I love San Andreas and Blaine County, but I feel Liberty City feels more.. normal for a GTA game. I only wish Liberty City had the scale Los Santos did.

Mr_Leone

V should have taken notes from VCS with the grab button and the neck snap. I didn't like the V fighting, because your guy does some WWE sh*t and delivers a diving cloths line, or at least an aerial one, that little slide and that shin kick just piss me off. I do like the stomp animation in V. Even saying that reminds me of when Niko would go UFC 161 on someone, he'd go to the ground on his side, and Niko can kick him in the gut and he will respond to the contact, as in V it can feel like the peds are dummies and just drop after getting hit.

Edited by Mr_Leone

MrDeSanta

I have absolutely no fun at melee combat in this game. Because of that stupid, cheap auto kick that has already been mentioned.

Just like someone already said, this game decides to pick moves instead of you. It`s another evidence that V has been made for kids whom shouldn`t even play it in the first place.

Assisting, assisting and assisting. It`s like R* would want to say; "Hey don`t worry if you`re unexperienced gamer and this is your first GTA because we will assist you whenever possible. Checkpoints, mission skips, health regeneration, 100 pieces of weapons carried at the same time, snack inventory, special abilities and even picking the melee moves for you when you`re in dilema how to beat your heavy weight NPC opponent who`ll die after 1 bitchslap anyway"...

Come on.

That target glueing and auto kicks make the melee combat in V very unpleasant, cheap and computerized. This and the instant wanted level after every punch makes it so non-GTA. It`s the only GTA where i don`t have any fun in fist fight at all.

Strenght stats? What`s the point of it if i get literally sick everytime the character choose that cheap and stupid kick instead of me.

And what`s with the deadly bitchslaps anyway? NPC`s die instantly after 1 silly bitchslap? Really? And this is suppose to be fun? And some people say V isn`t over the top. Hell yeah it is because the protagonists are superhumans who kill someone with 1 slap, can slow down the time and survive a tank cannon shot while they are in adrenaline rush.

V`s protagonists are the superhumans!

Stoney0503

I though all the protagonists were super humans...Maybe except CJ, he's just extremely talented.

Claude and Tommy can jump from space and survive.

Niko/Johnny/Luis can heal himself with fast food and spawn anything with their phones and make bullets hit harder (except for TLAD weapons because they're sh*t).

Franklin has the ability to slow down time somehow in a vehicle and basically change the handling.

Micheal has great accuracy when shooting.

Trevor can survive anything you throw at him...

2bYjWBS.gif

Maybe except that...

Journey_95

GTA IV owns GTA V in my opinion

I liked the driving and melee combat a lot more in IV, cops were also less annoying

maybe gunfights in V are better but thats it

IV also has a better story & characters and Liberty City was far better than boring Los Santos

every "island" had its own atmosphere etc.

Edited by Journey_95

J Cobra

The Gameplay GTA V shines in, GTA IV shines when it comes to the storyline.

The settings, goes to GTA V as well.

iiCriminnaaL 49
Posted (edited)

• Gameplay: IV.
  • Story: IV.
  • Place: IV.
Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49

Domac

wtf is wrong with people?

IV takes Gameplay and Characters spot. GTA V's map is the only good thing.

HitTheCourier

wtf is wrong with people?

IV takes Gameplay and Characters spot. GTA V's map is the only good thing.

These are just opinions, don't get so butthurt.

Tycek

Don't be like Chirovette Dormac, don't get so worked up over this.

Jack Lupino
Posted (edited)

GTA 5 is better than GTA 4 in every aspect except storyline.

Even if we ignore graphics-

GTA 5 offered huge map,not just cities but mountains and forests,wildlife,more vehicles and aircrafts,more customisation to characters,modifying cars,better AI,more variety in missions,tons of minigames and side missions,better weapons and also ability to customise it, challenges, mini games, mini heists, multiple endings, improved cover mechanics, world destruction engine, skydiving, vehicle towing, underwater exploration, bounties, beautiful crisp LS vs Blurry mess LC,more things to do after finishing storyline (online) the list goes on and on and on.

Edited by Jack Lupino