2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

guitarone01

What makes a good "any level" race?

guitarone01

Hey guys - Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on a what makes a good all around track? One that's competitive for all levels of players? I ask this because I thought I made such a track for this purpose. I worked hard at getting the jumps just right and balancing everything out to make the race easy and fun. It gets a lot of lower ranking players that beat out the higher ranks but then it also get some DNF's. Not an advert for my creation here - just curious if there's something else I should be taking into consideration when trying to create an all-level friendly race. Sorry if this topic has been covered (newbie to the forum here)

LuapYllier

First consideration is...can it be run effectively by someone who has never seen it before. Checkpoints need to clearly dictate where you are to go. You should never need to look at your minimap because your lost. Many drivers dont like jumps at all. Many drivers dont like custom content at all. Hell many drivers dont like driving at all...they want simple stupid tracks that get them wins and unlocks. There are lots of reasons for DNF and many there will be nothing you can do about.

Best advise I can give you is to learn to see your creation from the first timers point of view. Drive straight to the next checkpoint and do what it says to do as if you have no fore warning of what is in the track. If you cant follow it this way...niether will most of your visitors.

deffjeff87

Go and play out your whole race without the mini map(you can disable it) and follow the checkpoints and that light blue line and if you can complete the race

THEN go to TEST and try to do the race again with out looking at your mini map

Also if you have just a 2 out of 8+ that didnt qualify then i wouldnt blame you cause some players arent trying or just really suck

And if your still concerened then go and race with the ppl in the back....there A LOT and i mean A LOT of times ill hang back and race in the back just so I can see what their doing right and wrong

I hope this helps you out

guitarone01

Thanks guys for the replies. The track I made is all freeway which pretty much confines the player to the course. This is good as I have two checkpoints spaced out of sight from each other. I did this to achieve the mulitple racing lane options I was after. It seems to work pretty well. I also took some time this morninng to ride in the back and see what the DNF'ers were doing. Most seemed to be hitting ramps sideways and taking the curves too fast. Not sure that I can personally correct those issues. Had a friend stop by earlier who had never ran the race so I asked him to run it without the map and he followed it easily. So, it appears I am on the right track with the suggestions. Thanks again!

deffjeff87

Thanks guys for the replies. The track I made is all freeway which pretty much confines the player to the course. This is good as I have two checkpoints spaced out of sight from each other. I did this to achieve the mulitple racing lane options I was after. It seems to work pretty well. I also took some time this morninng to ride in the back and see what the DNF'ers were doing. Most seemed to be hitting ramps sideways and taking the curves too fast. Not sure that I can personally correct those issues. Had a friend stop by earlier who had never ran the race so I asked him to run it without the map and he followed it easily. So, it appears I am on the right track with the suggestions. Thanks again!

ya the map sounds solid to me but these are words and not actions lol so ill check it out myself

and by the way some players can suck at least they didnt leave/quit :) so your doing something right lol

deffjeff87

hey i played Tickle My Balls and Lake Run and both for me were easy. I played TMB with 2 other racers and i barely came in 3rd(raced with a futo lol) i dont really care for freeway races that much so i didnt play

Good Job keep it up

Blondarus

Most of the points have been covered above, but I'd say the key one is checkpoints. You need to be able to see them well ahead of time (as one guy said, you cannot drive looking at your mini map).

Keeping it simple in terms what you add to the map as well. Anything you put in should have a purpose and not add to overall complexity of the race UNLESS that is what your aiming for. However if you want it to be for any level of player and keep it so they have a chance of winnng, then keep it simple.

If you're making races for more experienced drivers then you can start throwing sh*t in that is gonna make it harder etc

guitarone01

hey i played Tickle My Balls and Lake Run and both for me were easy. I played TMB with 2 other racers and i barely came in 3rd(raced with a futo lol) i dont really care for freeway races that much so i didnt play

Good Job keep it up

Thanks for taking the time to give them a try. I guess my quest to make first time player friendly maps is on the right track. Tickle My Balls was made as a beginner intro into drifting ... and got it's name from the layout (check the map) as a joke. Lake Run is my first attempt at making an offroad style race. Again, I tried to keep it simple but it does have a few tricky parts.