2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
wiizardii

Is GTA V's Storyline a Hollywood movie inspired or something?

wiizardii

I heard in a thread where a guy said that GTA V's storyline was like ''Straight from a Hollywood movie about 3 guys robbing banks and becoming rich''.

Does anyone know any Hollywood movie where GTA V may have some influencial?

DaJeroen

Maybe the Ocean's movies. Ocean's 11 - 12 etc

Detective Phelps

There are a few, but the most noticeable one is heat.

Raavi

Definitely Heat.

RiaJay21

Heat.

In fact, I'm pretty sure Blitz Play was inspired by the movie Heat. There's a reference to Drive in there, too (I read the book, and there are certain similarities, but I have yet to watch the film).

So I'd say that it's more a case of there being various references thrown in there rather than the entire plot being influenced by a single movie .. ?

BLOOD

Heat. But 100x better doing Heists in an openworld game :)

IntoGloryRide

Heat is the obvious one in regards to the OP's example, but there are tons of references throughout the game...Just a few that I've noticed are the Lethal Weapon movies, Die Hard, Con Air, Terminal Velocity, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Face/Off, etc.

The Leviathan

Michael and Franklin's relationship is similar to Walter and Jesse's from Breaking Bad.

Official General

Probably Heat and LA Takedown.

GTA V does feel like a Hollywood movie - but like a cheaply made B-action movie, not A grade stuff at all.

Geralt of Rivia

GTA V does feel like a Hollywood movie - but like a cheaply made B-action movie, not A grade stuff at all.

Most games aren't.

Official General

Most games aren't.

Well to me, the best games always felt like great movies in many instances (in video game form). That's just my opinion though.

Edited by Official General

FranklinDeRoosevelt

Heat is the obvious one in regards to the OP's example, but there are tons of references throughout the game...Just a few that I've noticed are the Lethal Weapon movies, Die Hard, Con Air, Terminal Velocity, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Face/Off, etc.

Oh God, face off. What a f*cking fantastic movie, one of the best of all time in fact. It's f*cking smart. And Nicolas Cage's best movie IMO.

BLOOD

GTA made a laugh at Saints Row in the mission "Grass Roots-Michael".

GTA (1997-Present) -Saints Row (2006-Present)

GTA 5:Lol you ripped-off my Big Brother (SA),you did it better with you first two Brothers,better but Crazier,then your 3rd Brother came out witha Retarded Storyline and then the 4th got kidnapped and Tranced with Alien Storyline,Like WTF,We (GTA) could go wacky,My big brother (SA) was wacky but it the Greatest Game Ever made,But nah we wont,Thanks to My 4th Big Brother (GTA 4) we got more Mature and Greater,even my Cousin (TBoGT) beat the trash out of you 4,and you guys are new to town,actually 8 years in the (2006-2014)Industry,My Family have been here for almost 17 years (1997-2014) and (SA) his two years old than you.Just STFU,small boy.

Saints Row 4:Damn I just realised how i killed and destroy the reputation of my family,sorry Sir :(

Meanwhile...

Volition:God i love GTA,damn GTA 5 is great let ripped them off.

GTA is the Greatest thing to happen to Gaming since 1997.

Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond

universetwisters

Michael and Franklin's relationship is similar to Walter and Jesse's from Breaking Bad.

Since when is every mentor-student relationship an automatic nod to Breaking Bad?

I guess the fact that there's RVs and meth in the game alone make the game totally based on Breaking Bad.

Blingy

GTA made a laugh at Saints Row in the mission "Grass Roots-Michael".

GTA (1997-Present) -Saints Row (2006-Present)

GTA 5:Lol you ripped-off my Big Brother (SA),you did it better with you first two Brothers,better but Crazier,then your 3rd Brother came out witha Retarded Storyline and then the 4th got kidnapped and Tranced with Alien Storyline,Like WTF,We (GTA) could go wacky,My big brother (SA) was wacky but it the Greatest Game Ever made,But nah we wont,Thanks to My 4th Big Brother (GTA 4) we got more Mature and Greater,even my Cousin (TBoGT) beat the trash out of you 4,and you guys are new to town,actually 8 years in the (2006-2014)Industry,My Family have been here for almost 17 years (1997-2014) and (SA) his two years old than you.Just STFU,small boy.

Saints Row 4:Damn I just realised how i killed and destroy the reputation of my family,sorry Sir :(

Meanwhile...

Volition:God i love GTA,damn GTA 5 is great let ripped them off.

GTA is the Greatest thing to happen to Gaming since 1997.

What, in the actual f*ck, does this even mean.

BLOOD

A GTA Movie for it 20th Anniversary in 2017 would be Great.or an HD Remake to the first two games would be great but the series have 15 games so it there a great choice to how the movie would be.

My 4 GTA games that the Movie could get it influences from are:

1.GTA 4-The Immigrant Criminal from East Europe make is way into America to make a good living,would be great.

2.San Andreas-The movie doesnt have to have CJ or the others,but could focus on the game's African American Gang Culture.

3.The Lost and Damned:A GTA movie based on this installment of the Franchise would be a Smash Hits.Outlaw Bikers,Gang/Turf Wars,Shotgun Drive-by on Highways,God it would be Superb.and yeah SoA producers Loved TLAD.

4.GTA 5-I wont say anything but,if it could make $1bn in 3 f*cking Days (72hrs) then the Movie based on it would blow every Hollywood Movies out of Water.

@Blingy

That what the mission was to Saints Row,I am just doing the Impressions of both Franchises.Lol :)

Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond

Bonnano

Since when is every mentor-student relationship an automatic nod to Breaking Bad?

I guess the fact that there's RVs and meth in the game alone make the game totally based on Breaking Bad.

Well, the RV and Trevor's calculator watch are obviously a Breaking Bad nod. The Franklin/Mike relationship? Not so sure.

Edited by Bonnano

universetwisters

Well, the RV and Trevor's calculator watch are obviously a Breaking Bad nod. The Franklin/Mike relationship? Not so sure.

Since when is everybody who wears a calculator watch obviously Walter White?

I'm wearing track pants as I type this. Does that make me one of the five "New Kids"?

Blingy

I'm wearing track pants as I type this. Does that make me one of the five "New Kids"?

Jesus, you're being a whiny bitch right now.

universetwisters

I enjoy being a whiny bitch more than I enjoy trying to nitpick things just to find references.

"What's that you say? Both GTA 5 and Captain Phillips were released in 2013? Surely there must be some kind of connection between them!"

Blingy

I enjoy being a whiny bitch more than I enjoy trying to nitpick things just to find references.

"What's that you say? Both GTA 5 and Captain Phillips were released in 2013? Surely there must be some kind of connection between them!"

Constantly complaining about it makes you just as bad.

Shah Sam

4.GTA 5-I wont say anything but,if it could make $1bn in 3 f*cking Days (72hrs) then the Movie based on it would blow every Hollywood Movies out of Water.

A game cannot be made into a movie that easy. It would be boring to watch all the missions, so R* would have to make the movie more about the story (and of course include some of the highlight-missions). Then it would end up like a normal action-film, I'm sure that it wouldn't blow every Hollywood movie out of water. GTA V is not only about its story, but also about the gameplay mechanics, the map (and exploring it) and all the crazy stuff (rampages with different weapons, at different places), and that's why it is a much better game that it would be as a movie.

BLOOD

A game cannot be made into a movie that easy. It would be boring to watch all the missions, so R* would have to make the movie more about the story (and of course include some of the highlight-missions). Then it would end up like a normal action-film, I'm sure that it wouldn't blow every Hollywood movie out of water. GTA V is not only about its story, but also about the gameplay mechanics, the map (and exploring it) and all the crazy stuff (rampages with different weapons, at different places), and that's why it is a much better game that it would be as a movie.

I said "Influenced" not just rip-off the game's Storyline Missions.even though the movie doesnt get Successfull as the Game Franchise (GTA) i am sure millions of people would kill to a watch a movie based on Video Games' Greatest Game Franchise.

Shah Sam

I said "Influenced" not just rip-off the game's Storyline Missions.even though the movie doesnt get Successfull as the Game Franchise (GTA) i am sure millions of people would kill to a watch a movie based on Video Games' Greatest Game Franchise.

Yes, I agree, I think that it would become very popular, but it would probably not be a very good movie.

BLOOD

Yes, I agree, I think that it would become very popular, but it would probably not be a very good movie.

True Talk.

iainspad

Could be worse; could have been Michael Bay inspired.

Luddite

Wow.. Yet another promising thread brought down by the same old dogmatic tripe from.. someone.

Was watching the movie "Savages" the other day. In it there's a raid to steal drug money. During the setup the planner points out, "..road, bridge, road. One way in. No way out." Then they show the layout and I laugh. "That's the raid on the weed farm!"

There are many other homages to movies in V. It would be fun to compile them in a thread that wasn't so full of sycophantic distractions.

Edited by Luddite

œaœa

A game set in a parody of Hollywood feels like a Hollywood movie? Wow! That's probably what they were going for! Rockstar's so smart...

Edited by sibs44

Apex Predator

The subtle approach for The Big Score was most definitely inspired by The Italian Job.

Eutyphro

Well, the RV and Trevor's calculator watch are obviously a Breaking Bad nod.

There's a mission in V where there's two rednecks having sex in an RV. Must be R* trying to say that Breaking Bad is gay.

Edited by gtaxpert