1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

The Lego Movie

IDredMan

302.jpg

As of this post, the Lego Movie will be released in a matter of days. Is anyone excited?

Here's the trailer for those of you who haven't seen it:

And it's currently sitting on a score of 85/100 on Metacritic, higher than movies with much bigger budgets, such as Man Of Steel, which has a score of 55/100, and a user score of 77/100.

What do you think? Thoughts? Likes & dislikes? Are you gonna see it? Post below.

My personal thoughts:

I watched the trailer thinking "These Lego guys are pushing their luck with all these games and movies ..."

And when it was over, I literally rewatched the trailer about 5 times and loved every second of it.

I mean, who hasn't played with Legos as a kid? This looks like a surprisingly fun movie. And I personally can't wait for it.

More Lego Movie videos:

TV Spots:

TV Spot #1:

TV Spot #2:

TV Spot #3:

TV Spot #4:

TV Spot #5:

Meet The Characters:

Meet Emmet:

Meet WyldStyle:

Meet President Business:

Meet Metal Beard:

Meet Batman:

Extras/Misc.:

"Behind the bricks" - Featurette:

"Man Of Plastic" - Featurette:

"Everything Is Awesome" - Elizabeth Banks:

Sweded Trailer Winner:

Will Arnett is Batman:

Chinese New Year:

Puppy Bowl Coin Toss:

"This Friday" - Nick Offerman:

^ No idea what I'm doing wrong, I did the - thing and only three showed up. Mmmkay.

• Like 1

Definitely am excited to see this one, haven't been interested in any movies since around last summer so this should be a good one.

Loving the previews, always was a huge fan of LEGOS growing up.

That's cool, I used to do stop motion Lego movies back in the day. Only if that movie had came out like 10 years ago...

What I don't like from what I've seen is the implementation of real comic characters. I feel like it sorta ruins the Lego universe and originality.

Watched it earlier today.

Before my review, I'm gonna describe my personal experience.

I really wanted to avoid children in this movie, cause they ruined countless movies for me... So I came up with a plan, I went to an out-of-the-way theatre, on a week day, and the earliest showing.

I saw a couple dozen kids there, and was pretty disappointed.

But to my pleasant surprise, they all went into the Frozen showing. And when I went in, I found that not only did I avoid children, I avoided everyone else. I was literally sitting in a theatre alone.

I'm sure they wouldn't play a movie if no one is in the theatre, so I assume some guy was planning for a 2 hour break, but came in, saw me sitting there like an asshole and went "Are you f*cking kidding me?"

Now, onto the review.

This movie, I went to it as excited as can be. I find myself very lucky that my experience wasn't ruined by whiny smelly chatty gullible children, as there weren't any in the theatre.

Anyway, onto the movie. I'm gonna say this, this movie is probably one of the best of 2014. It was really awesome, loved all the characters, the dialogue and the interactions between them was lovely. The events were awesome and the pacing of the whole movie was astonishing. And the animating was pretty mind blowing for a Lego Movie.
But, here's the thing. This movie is, in hindsight, a 'Journey is better than the destination' case. But when watching it in the theatre, the ending kinda makes the events of the whole movie pointless. As none of it is real, and it's just Will Ferrell VS Will Ferrell's son. But it's still a good movie... And in some scenes, the combination of CGI and Stop-Motion kinda throws you off. Especially when the Stop-Motion-only bits are barely distinguishable from the CGI ones.
Back to the good stuff. The whole idea of this movie is awesome, and the implications, along with the truth behind those implications seem too mature for kids, makes me kinda wonder what the writers were also constrained to, due to the movie's PG rating.
Liam Neeson's performance (I'm not calling him Bad Cop, nope) was outstanding, and I'v never had as many feels for a factional character as this guy (Well, maybe Lee Everett).
Morgan Freeman (Not calling him Vitruvius, either) did his role pretty awesomely, too. But Morgan Freeman, as an actor gets a free pass, no matter what. He's still really really great in this movie.
Batman was also a nice character, a much needed change from the serious gritty dark Batman we're used to. And the Star Wars scene ...I literally started applauding right there.
This movie, didn't need to be 3D. It barely used it beside the part where Liam Neeson shoots the screen. I can't wait to see 3D just go.
Anyway, I'm going off topic here. This movie, as it's theme of 'unspecial' goes, is awesome!

I'd give it a 9.2 just because of the ending, but if I would round it up/down to something, I'd give it a deserving 10/10. There seriously needs to be more movies like this, ones that know what they are, and make the absolute best of it. Without trying too hard like Man Of Steel, Kick-Ass 2 or The Wolverine, which fail miserably and leave a kind of bad taste in the mouth.

Watched it earlier today.

Before my review, I'm gonna describe my personal experience.

I really wanted to avoid children in this movie, cause they ruined countless movies for me... So I came up with a plan, I went to an out-of-the-way theatre, on a week day, and the earliest showing.

I saw a couple dozen kids there, and was pretty disappointed.

But to my pleasant surprise, they all went into the Frozen showing. And when I went in, I found that not only did I avoid children, I avoided everyone else. I was literally sitting in a theatre alone.

I'm sure they wouldn't play a movie if no one is in the theatre, so I assume some guy was planning for a 2 hour break, but came in, saw me sitting there like an asshole and went "Are you f*cking kidding me?"

LOL

Edited by johnny_zoo

I hate the new lego characters.

Not to mention that I'm still waiting for a full-length playmobil film. That'd rock.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

For crying out loud...

Why does this look better than the entirety of the DCEU?

EDIT:

The Lego Batman movie has 98% on RottenTomatoes.

Man of Steel, Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad combined have 108% on RottenTomatoes.

What the f*ck...

Edited by IDredMan
  • Like 3

When I first heard about a Lego movie that would be a theatrical release, despite being someone who was obsessed with Lego as a kid and well into my teens, I assumed it would suck. I've never enjoyed eating crow so much in my life.

I freaking loved this movie, both as an animation fan and as a Lego fan. The animation was just gorgeous - it really looked like it was animated in stop-motion with real Lego bricks. The story was surprisingly good and clever, most of the humor was funny enough, and I loved the characters (Uni-Kitty was my fave :p). And all the cameo guest appearances were insane. My god, just imagine the paperwork that must have gone on behind the scenes to include all these characters from pretty much every licensed Lego theme ever. And there were tons of little things that only Lego fans will pick up on.

In fact, I got a personal kick out of the ending, because

the teacher of the Digital Effects and Animation class I took my first year of college (that degree didn't pan out, and I've been working towards Computer Information Technologies ever since) was a collector who really did glue his sets together and put them on shelves all around his office, and I never did like that guy. :p And honestly, I've had conversations similar to the "Lego is a toy, don't take it so seriously" talk with older fans of kid-oriented franchises before.

I still need to get the Blu-ray. And yeah, The Lego Batman Movie looks great too. I can only hope we get a musical number as amazing as "DAAAARKNESS!!! NOOO PAAARENTS!"

Edited by Wu-Tang Forever

Loved the first LEGO movie to death. Was a total surprise out of nowhere, sounded like the kind of movie they'd cobble together for nostalgia money and call it a day. What I absolutely did not see coming is the closest thing to a film version of MGS2 being the freaking LEGO movie!

It was heartfelt, gorgeously animated and a great dose of humor and writing. Gonna try and catch LEGO Batman sometime soon.

• Like 2

Loved the Lego Movie, going to catch Lego Batman tomorrow. I read they are making a Lego Movie sequel as well, hopefully they don't over-saturate with it.

• Like 1

Just got back from seeing Lego Batman. Oh it's definitely worth the watch! It was really good. The cinema might be full of kids and their parents but the film has a ton of fanfare, references to other genres/franchises and of course innuendos that only the adults are gonna notice. Really enjoyed it, see it if you want to feel like everything is awesome :)

• Like 1