2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
ll Noble 6 ll

[email protected]$#%[email protected]#$^ Slipstreaming...

ll Noble 6 ll

Yeah, yeah...

Hater's gonna hate.

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who thinks slipstreaming is more of a pain in the ass than a benefit? Half the time when I'm slipstreaming, I'm pulled into passing when I wasn't trying to pass - it's more, "Holy sh*t! I'm about to ram into them" rather than, "hey, this looks like a good place to pass, especially given the incredible DROP OFF to the left and the sharp incline to the right..."

Sure, if you're trying to catch up and race, that's all good. But 9 out of 10 times, the guy slipstreaming to pass you will PIT maneuver you as he goes to pass, meaning all that slip stream did was give him a chance to completely take you out of a race you were otherwise managing to win.

And a dune buggy (or any other four wheeled vehicle) SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SLIPSTREAM A MOTORCYCLE!

Splattered a good number of bikers during races (and I try NOT to)... I do tend to laugh a bit as their bodies go bouncing up over the roof of my buggy, though...

iiConTr0v3rSYx

Welcome to Reach, Noble 6.

SUPERHEAVYDOODY

It's called controlling your vehicle and picking where to pass. I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's quite easy to let up on the gas.

saintsrow

I didn't like slipstreaming because I was always getting rammed, but now that I have started grinding races, I notice that about 40% of the time when some asshole tries PITTing or ramming (including me), he loses control. So I'm good with that ratio. And slipstreaming has helped me a lot, because I am always behind somebody.

So, given that nothing is realistic about GTA0 racing, and given the ridiculous mentality of the players, I have decided to just pretty much accept the whole load of BS and grind away. For anybody who was looking forward to racing and who thought that racing was going to be a major, well-designed part of GTA0, I am sorry for their disappointment. :bored:

Masochron

If you don't want to pass, ease up on the gas.

Simple.

blingdiablo

This is only a problem for people who drive with only two settings, gas pedal all the way down and gas pedal all the way up. Those are also the people that can't drive muscle cars because all they do is spin out furiously instead of accelerating smoothly. Believe it or not, muscle cars have great acceleration if you don't just mash the pedal down.

lolz

WWWWVWWVWWWVVWWW

oh this thread again

I will pwn you newbs

I actually think slipstreaming is worse than catchup. Yeah it's a thing in real life but it is way too exaggerated in this game. I don't see why they make so many disadvantages to being ahead in a race

saintsrow

This is only a problem for people who drive with only two settings, gas pedal all the way down and gas pedal all the way up. Those are also the people that can't drive muscle cars because all they do is spin out furiously instead of accelerating smoothly. Believe it or not, muscle cars have great acceleration if you don't just mash the pedal down.

lolz

That is very good advice. I could actually practice it, if the ##^%$*^&%$ game controllers did not waste 75% of the throttle travel in the dead zone, and only 25% left over for actual throttle control. :angry:

Same with the thumbsticks. 75% dead zone (OK, maybe I am slightly exaggerating), but almost all the GTA driving I have ever seen (on youtube, and by other people, as well as by me) shows the cars doing repeated tiny instant momentary full-turn steering corrections, rather than the smooth continuous control we use for real cars. :whuh:

It' such a shame that video game cars have such great physics and such sh*tty controllers. :/

BaM BooZeLLed

This is why I tail the guy in 1st through the whole race and make my final pass attempt on the last handful of corners. The driver up front usually messes up from the pressure anyway handing you the win. It's all about being consistent.

mo-seph

This is why I tail the guy in 1st through the whole race and make my final pass attempt on the last handful of corners. The driver up front usually messes up from the pressure anyway handing you the win. It's all about being consistent.

this is true, i think the longest i've managed to continuously slip-stream someone is about a minute, easily a full lap on some tracks (dont get me started on the physics of slip-streaming a car round a corner, at 100mph, its unrealistic yes, but with the right throttle control its possible in game)... its surprising how many people mess up just because your sitting on their rear bumper jsut waiting for your opportunity... particularly if you can do it for a prolonged period of time.

fryday

slipstream is much to overpowered!

A good/perfect start is absolutely useless, because you got rammed/overtaken before the first corner. in real, within the speed during the start you havent that effect of slipstream, first when you have a high speed, the effect will increase.

GTA4 racing was about racing skills, GTA 5 racing with catch-up and slipstream feels like mario-kart racing to me.

fish61324

I wish they had better drafting in the game. I remember early when I started playing and I would get into 2nd place and slip stream the guy in first... thinking I was helping the guy in first and myself pull away from the rest of the field. I eventually learned slip streaming in done all wrong. I don't mind the idea and effort on R*s behalf, but they fail at it miserably.

FasterThanYou

Yes,it was a good idea to include it but the execution was piss poor.

Everything is wrong, from the ammount of extra speed it gives, to the speed at which it activates, to the range the effect has.

wolfp212

I think 'Catch up' is more of a problem than 'slipstreaming'. You get far enough ahead of the other players, and race to the condition of the track (hugging the inside of turns, and such) and you won't have them get close enough to you to slipstream. But add catch up to the fold, and if you're in the lead you start to slow down real bad, the guy in second can slipstream you. When that happens, and they pass you it makes it look like you're standing still. Such a pain in the butt.

Edited by wolfp212

I.haigh

Welcome to Reach, Noble 6.

I really don't know why I laughed so hard at this, oh man. That's f*cking great.

Michael_Westin

Slipstreaming? Is that like a new kind of date rape drug???

Horndog_SA

Yeah, yeah...

Hater's gonna hate.

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who thinks slipstreaming is more of a pain in the ass than a benefit? Half the time when I'm slipstreaming, I'm pulled into passing when I wasn't trying to pass - it's more, "Holy sh*t! I'm about to ram into them" rather than, "hey, this looks like a good place to pass, especially given the incredible DROP OFF to the left and the sharp incline to the right..."

Sure, if you're trying to catch up and race, that's all good. But 9 out of 10 times, the guy slipstreaming to pass you will PIT maneuver you as he goes to pass, meaning all that slip stream did was give him a chance to completely take you out of a race you were otherwise managing to win.

And a dune buggy (or any other four wheeled vehicle) SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SLIPSTREAM A MOTORCYCLE!

Splattered a good number of bikers during races (and I try NOT to)... I do tend to laugh a bit as their bodies go bouncing up over the roof of my buggy, though...

its called learning and controlling,

i slipstream all the time, if i dont want to pass or be pulled by slipstream i ease of the gas and just tail the guy ahead, until i want to pass then i hit the gas, really not that hard...

iddqdvie

i totally agree!!! it should be optional!

or change it... make it less powerful,

but CATCH UP is even worth!!! good luck that one is optional.

(oh and: yes i can handle slipstream very well)

Edited by iddqdvie

FasterThanYou

It is simply ridiculous.

When youre doing 60 kmh up a mega steep hill in a blista and you suddenly get extra 30 kmh because theres another trundling car 1 second up the road, you know its time to change how the whole thing works.

J32T3R

Slipstream is not as bad as it seems. I just stay on the persons as and wait for a mistake by the other players, or just back off and wait for a better opportunity to pass.

If you think someone is gonna spin you out, slow down a little then

I.haigh

I think it's a little too effective, slip-streaming does have an effect but the effect it has is not as significant as the game makes it to be. Then again this is a game and not real life so my argument is invalid...

LuapYllier

I didn't like slipstreaming because I was always getting rammed, but now that I have started grinding races, I notice that about 40% of the time when some asshole tries PITTing or ramming (including me), he loses control. So I'm good with that ratio. And slipstreaming has helped me a lot, because I am always behind somebody.

So, given that nothing is realistic about GTA0 racing, and given the ridiculous mentality of the players, I have decided to just pretty much accept the whole load of BS and grind away. For anybody who was looking forward to racing and who thought that racing was going to be a major, well-designed part of GTA0, I am sorry for their disappointment. :bored:

I am not dissapointed in the racing at all, in fact I think it is quite good. It isnt Gran Tourismo but if I wanted that I would play that. I race every day. My crew`s stats say that the crew as a whole spends over 96% of its gameplay (while wearing tag) racing. We have a great time. This tells me that the problems you have lie in the community...not the game mechanics.

As for slipstreaming, the way it is now yes it show a great deal about a racers skill level if they can not maintain control of their following distance with feathering or pumping the throttle until an opportune moment to pass. What it is supposed to do is allow you to maintain a good following speed while having more acceleration in reserve to pass with when the moment is right.

The only issue I have with the system is lag. When your in first and getting draft noise, when your drafting around corners when not even behind the guy in front, when you are easily within draft range of someone down an entire straight and get nothing but as soon as you get to the corner suddenly it takes effect. Wort of all is the way for some reason drafting turns your tires into ice cubes and diconnects your brakes in a corner.

fw3

I love slipstreaming more than I love my mom's pancakes. Seriously.

I.haigh

I love slipstreaming more than I love my mom's pancakes. Seriously.

For real? What about your mom's french toast?

LuapYllier

lolz

That is very good advice. I could actually practice it, if the ##^%$*^&%$ game controllers did not waste 75% of the throttle travel in the dead zone, and only 25% left over for actual throttle control. :angry:

Same with the thumbsticks. 75% dead zone (OK, maybe I am slightly exaggerating), but almost all the GTA driving I have ever seen (on youtube, and by other people, as well as by me) shows the cars doing repeated tiny instant momentary full-turn steering corrections, rather than the smooth continuous control we use for real cars. :whuh:

It' such a shame that video game cars have such great physics and such sh*tty controllers. :/

Agreed. I have gotten pretty good at constant micro turns but I would much rather be smooth. Though I have noticed that pushing forward and then steering with more of a radial movement helps some...just remember to let off the forward part when you leave the ground or you nose dive.

FasterThanYou

I think it's a little too effective, slip-streaming does have an effect but the effect it has is not as significant as the game makes it to be. Then again this is a game and not real life so my argument is invalid...

It is not only totally offset, it is also not even a slipstream.

The engine note changes, the thing works even if youre not directly behind, the thing works even at low speed.

It is not a slipstream, it is a boost comming from nowhere that doesnt turn off even getting off the throttle. It is like having a second throttle stuck open at 50 x cent.

An actual slipstream actually related with reduced aero drag at high speed would be nice. This thing we have now is not.

beat_savy_9

impromptu races have not ketchup or slip :)

(and no money) :(

iainspad

Has anyone tried this? I would, but I'm pretty sure I will fail.

If you know if the guy is going to ram you, hit the brakes. Not too much, just keep a good speed, but they can't PIT you if the miss the tail of the car, and ram the body instead. This can help you get out of the manoeuvre but also if the other racer has overtaken you, they will slow down, and take advantage of their slipstream.

Another tip: when you're slipstreaming, stay behind them as long as possible; this builds up the speed to overtake them, allowing you to overtake them over a very high speed, and cannot take you out if you do a wide overtake, thus giving you the advantage.