3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

StJimmy

The GTA V beta hunt

Darealbandicoot

The first is the norma one, then it cuts to the other one

There is a different cutscene depending on which character you finish the mission with.

Can't check at the moment but I'm SURE if you don't switch back to Michael you can stay as Trevor. It's been a while since I had a proper play though.

Gerald Ford

There is a different cutscene depending on which character you finish the mission with.

Yeah, that's what I said, but from what I remember you can't finish the mission with Trevor.

JANTSUU

I've been looking back at the leaks for Grand Theft Auto V, and that infamous map leak from DSOgaming back in 2011 looks too good to be fake. Back then, people thought it was completely bogus because it looked like some sort of awful 3D Universe San Andreas map mod. However, no other place in the 3D San Andreas Universe looks like that and the map is shaped nearly exactly like in the final game. During development, Rockstar is no stranger when it comes to recycling assets which explains the reused map HUD from Grand Theft Auto IV.

(Images resized for clarity)

D93jZRE.jpg

giFZhFD.jpg

Don't get me wrong as I haven't played Max Payne 3, but the third screenshot (judging as the character resembles Max Payne himself) must reuse a ton of assets from that game. Though at the top right corner, the Maze Bank building can be seen, and it's never seen in the 3D Universe of San Andreas at all.

hI3cpuP.jpg

In my opinion, those screenshots must have been taken around 2009, when the game was just starting to get developed, and when Max Payne 3 was known to the public.

These images are made by me for fun, but they spread like crazy after I posted them on the internet. So yes, they clearly are fake. Sorry :D

do you still remember where you shot the 3rd picture?

Yes. It was somewhere in southwest Algonquin. But I edited the buildings in the background.

Darealbandicoot

Yeah, that's what I said, but from what I remember you can't finish the mission with Trevor.Not beta. If you don't switch back to Michael you can stay as Trevor.

Gerald Ford

Really? DIdn't know that!

Squidkid Mobile
Posted (edited)

For some reason I remember seeing a cover story about "GTA V Beta leaked" or something like that along those lines from a UK video gaming magazine (can't remember the name). The cover had an art of Santa on it, equipped with cigarettes and guns, and was sort-of reminiscent of the San Andreas art style.

From my memory, the magazine came out in November/December 2012.

Edited by SodaDog

TheDon316
Posted (edited)

For some reason I remember seeing a cover story about "GTA V Beta leaked" or something like that along those lines from a UK video gaming magazine (can't remember the name). The cover had an art of Santa on it, equipped with cigarettes and guns, and was sort-of reminiscent of the San Andreas art style.

DIDbM.png

This?

Edited by TheDon316

Squidkid Mobile

DIDbM.png

This?

You mean the front cover? Like I said, the cover resembled San Andreas' artstyle rather than a screenshot from a video game, so no. Though, that image looks interesting.

assCRACK_98

Using a cutscene player I found out of an alternate intro for the last cutscene of 'The Wrap Up', where Mike is smoking (I've only seen the one where Trevor is already there and Mike takes out a pack of cigs), Trevor arrives and throws it away, maybe you could control T when he was flying away from the Kortz Center?

Still in the game, jump off the roof playing as T

-Voron-

If you look closely at the front rail (i think thats where u attach the attachments) you can see a laser sight attachment

universetwisters

Yeah, that's what I said, but from what I remember you can't finish the mission with Trevor.

Not beta. If you don't switch back to Michael you can stay as Trevor.

That's weird because it would always fail me for not switching to Michael so I couldn't escape as Trevor.

Mr.Kurowski

To be honest with you guys, the whole C&D thingy shouldn't have ended this way at least if CarsonGT's friend wasn't that selfish keeping the build for himself.

If he had posted the V Build back in the summer of 2017 when it was found, chances are that by now we could have recovered almost half of the BETA. And it would have been a win win for everyone.

cp1dell

Things were better when people just anonymously uploaded sh*t like that for the greater good. Now you have sh*ts like carson's friend who want to be "The Guy," and are all about that internet popularity so they can get an article on Kotaku or PCGamer written about them.

CarsonGT
Posted (edited)

Del

Edited by CarsonGT

LegitimatePride
Posted (edited)

Well, Carson, thank you and all for what you shared, and it's nice that you cleared some stuff up, but what you said doesn't justify your friend's incompetence to not have made something as easy like "Backups" on a cheap USB or disk in case the price that he paid for the prototypes would have gone to waste like this.

And about R* ruining you life, like you said, you're ASSUMING things, unless you're talking from experience, you're PROBABLY wrong, around the internet, there's a million first-party prototypes leaked by people that communicated publicly and turned out fine. Also, (like Ash said) Rockstar went for you because you simply had prototype in the first place, not because you leaked stuff like the removed mission dialogues in your video, so I doubt that leaking all of it and THEN returning the dev-kit would have made any difference on the final threat that you got.

And second, don't say that, not all of us here are drooling-screen nerds, I'm sure if it was released, then someone ELSE would have helped greatly to retrieve more data and maybe even have fixed it for you and everyone instead of your friend, remember, HE ASKED US to help him. And if it happened, then what a bummer, but the thing is, it never happened... so there's one thing we have the right to doubt about that statement.

And third, you realize it's soulless for you too to not tell us the truth? Your statement is hypocrital, sorry, but truth is truth.

Undersood everything single thing you've said, but I think it would have been better to try and then see what would have happened, that's how people that work as logging workers do, they don't know if they will have a tree fall on them the next day...

Edited by LegitimatePride

Helegad

Honestly your friend shouldn't have said or shown a thing until GTA VI was well and truly in full swing. Showing off pre-release content for a game that's still selling like hotcakes and has a premium edition on the way was just asking for this sh*t to happen.

CarsonGT
Posted (edited)

Del

Edited by CarsonGT

Jestic

Honestly your friend shouldn't have said or shown a thing until GTA VI was well and truly in full swing. Showing off pre-release content for a game that's still selling like hotcakes and has a premium edition on the way was just asking for this sh*t to happen.

Won't matter. They sent out C&D's to mod projects that were using IV and RDR assets in V. Obtaining a devkit containing any development files from any of their RAGE based games will get you a C&D, no doubt.

Helegad

Won't matter. They sent out C&D's to mod projects that were using IV and RDR assets in V. Obtaining a devkit containing any development files from any of their RAGE based games will get you a C&D, no doubt.

Does matter. If this info came out in ten or even five years from now there'd be a much much much slimmer chance of this crap going down.

My point is you wait until it's old hat, especially a Rockstar product. Showing off some indie beta or something that didn't sell for sh*t like GTA Advance warrants virtually next to no issues, but we're talking about the best (and still) selling game in history beat only by Tetris and Minecraft. The devkit owner didn't use the correct amount of caution. He shouldn't have said a damn thing to anyone for years.

RM76

Helegad laid it out perfectly. sh*t like this is meant to stay on the down low for a looooong time.

A.C.M.

this game is teaching us to do heists, what about you take that devkit back how it should be done, by making heist on the developers showing your skill learnt in game. ;)

late april fools!

undergroundvicious
Posted (edited)

T2/R* are slowly becoming the new EA/Activision... Greed is talking louder. Everything is becoming money-related. I can accept that - all devs make games to sell them - it's what they do for living, after all. But in this case, I fell like their whim, their respect for the community, the passion for the game, all that made me look to GTA in a different perspective is going away, slowly, but constantly.

First, no more content to GTA SP. Later, the Witch Hunt on mods episode, and now this. I mean, they barely resamble the good old R* from SA days. Even The Benz does not work on the company anymore. EVERYTHING has become about money - and they are not even trying to hide this. FiveM and OpenIV are still here only because of the noise that the whole community made.

When I imagine these companies now, I see a bunch of executives, lawyers and accountants looking each other and asking "ALRIGHT PEOPLE, WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO, WITH LOW COST, OF COURSE, TO THROW AT GTA ONLINE AND SELL SHARK CARDS? THINK FAST, PEOPLE". Just that. I just can expect an GTAO bussiness model for RDR2 - scrapped campaign to use all sorts of content on online.

I can say now that the last company that has preserved my respect (at least, until now), is CDPR. I love The Witcher, and they didn't let me down until now.

And indies, of course. On indies I still can find the passion from game makers.

Edited by undergroundvicious

-Voron-

T2/R* are slowly becoming the new EA/Activision... Greed is talking louder. Everything is becoming money-related. I can accept that - all devs make games to sell them - it's what they do for living, after all. But in this case, I fell like their whim, their respect for the community, the passion for the game, all that made me look to GTA in a different perspective is going away, slowly, but constantly.

First, no more content to GTA SP. Later, the Witch Hunt on mods episode, and now this. I mean, they barely resamble the good old R* from SA days. Even The Benz does not work on the company anymore. EVERYTHING has become about money - and they are not even trying to hide this. FiveM and OpenIV are still here only because of the noise that the whole community made.

When I imagine these companies now, I see a bunch of executives, lawyers and accountants looking each other and asking "ALRIGHT PEOPLE, WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO, WITH LOW COST, OF COURSE, TO THROW AT GTA ONLINE AND SELL SHARK CARDS? THINK FAST, PEOPLE". Just that. I just can expect an GTAO bussiness model for RDR2 - scrapped campaign to use all sorts of content on online.

I can say now that the last company that has preserved my respect (at least, until now), is CDPR. I love The Witcher, and they didn't let me down until now.

couldnt have said better myself

Sleepwalking

I don't blame companies, they want to make more money(who doesn't) and microtransaction system works even better than they expected. Also people liked new pay to win system. At least they are giving free updates for everyone.

Single player gaming is sadly on decrease. It is not only about GTA.

umar4812

If you're talking about the OpenIV fiasco, that was actually TakeTwo's doings, not Rockstar. Rockstar had to speak to T2 and force them to back off. Even though T2 owns Rockstar, T2 also knows they can't f*ck with the company that makes GTA, of the most popular game series ever.

Darealbandicoot

If you're talking about the OpenIV fiasco, that was actually TakeTwo's doings, not Rockstar. Rockstar had to speak to T2 and force them to back off. Even though T2 owns Rockstar, T2 also knows they can't f*ck with the company that makes GTA, of the most popular game series ever.LOL you think T2 is the big bad guy here? They are EQUAL PARTNERS. Who do you think told T2 which menus to go after? Rockstar. Rockstar and Take two make JOINT decisions. Also Rockstar didn't tell T2 to push off, WE DID. THE FANS. Those two were going all the way and when the media became involved and exposed them they backed off to avoid any further tarnishing of sales.

JuliusCaesar

I mean, I really doubt that they backed off for fans. GTAOnline is the selling power of GTA V. Modding is kind of a thing of yesteryear for GTA, their main paying audience doesn't mod the game, they play on social club.

If you go look at the achievements stats on each platform, you can see that not even 3 percent of players 100 percent the game, and not much more than that ever finish the story. And not many more than that ever even get to the other story achievements. It's pretty abysmal. People are playing this game online, without even finishing single player, let alone being in the playbase that then modifies the game to add replay value or make that single player experience even longer in some home made way... The vast majority could give a F less about gta modifications, and t2 knows that, by these stats. Because while less than 3 percent 100 percent (it might be higher now too, but doubt by much) even finish the game, the vast majority of players who stay around, are in GTAOnline, not single player.

Sleepwalking
Posted (edited)

I mean, I really doubt that they backed off for fans. GTAOnline is the selling power of GTA V. Modding is kind of a thing of yesteryear for GTA, their main paying audience doesn't mod the game, they play on social club.

If you go look at the achievements stats on each platform, you can see that not even 3 percent of players 100 percent the game, and not much more than that ever finish the story. And not many more than that ever even get to the other story achievements. It's pretty abysmal. People are playing this game online, without even finishing single player, let alone being in the playbase that then modifies the game to add replay value or make that single player experience even longer in some home made way... The vast majority could give a F less about gta modifications, and t2 knows that, by these stats. Because while less than 3 percent 100 percent (it might be higher now too, but doubt by much) even finish the game, the vast majority of players who stay around, are in GTAOnline, not single player.

I don't blame them, who the hell spent hours to collect stupid letter scraps or complete tedious knife flights apart from hardcore GTA fans like us?

Edited by Sleepwalking

R4gN0r0K

thats a point that is not entirely true. Sure hardcore GTA fans will get 100% but not everyone. Hell, i never completed any gta with 100% I played the story and dicked around. i couldnt care less about collecting every hidden package, doing every minigame (tbh some were too stressful for me and i didnt want to be bothered trying them out a hundred times) for me and i'm sure many other fans of the series, getting a 100% was not their goal. they want to have fun in the game, in their way. For me it was exploring the city at my own pace and doing misc things that you could do. I kinda do wanna try to start getting a 100%, but thats like 10 years after having played gta

Sleepwalking
Posted (edited)

thats a point that is not entirely true. Sure hardcore GTA fans will get 100% but not everyone. Hell, i never completed any gta with 100% I played the story and dicked around. i couldnt care less about collecting every hidden package, doing every minigame (tbh some were too stressful for me and i didnt want to be bothered trying them out a hundred times) for me and i'm sure many other fans of the series, getting a 100% was not their goal. they want to have fun in the game, in their way. For me it was exploring the city at my own pace and doing misc things that you could do. I kinda do wanna try to start getting a 100%, but thats like 10 years after having played gta

You are right, not even every hardcore GTA V fan bother with %100 completion. Also the game is very distractive.

My mistake was, I decided to collect all letter scraps and spaceship parts with a buzzard. Instead of collecting things I was shooting random helicopters, blimp, planes using missiles. Because why not? and it is more fun. After wasting hours without collecting anything I used a helicopter that doesn't have any weapon.

Edited by Sleepwalking