Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (91,643 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

LuapYllier

races - props and traffic

LuapYllier

Id like to get some opinions on what people think about using props in custom races that help racers know where to go but completely invalidate the option of turning on traffic. I make all of my tracks with the intent of racing without traffic and no interest in GTA weapons. It has been recently brought to my attention that more people might like it if the GTA option was at least available if they choose to play it.

With this in mind I find myself asking the question...should they be functional with traffic if someone wants to? You cant disable the option. No Rockstar track has props in the middle of the road. Do the props even really help or are they more likely to be obstructive to drivers?

What are your thoughts on whether or not a track should have any props in it that obstruct traffic?

The Angel King

I think in point to point traffic should be on and no props other than road signs pointing towards the turn(placed on the outside and right before the turn).

FR_Player-One

When you set traffic on or off in the content creator, it becomes the default setting for the track.

Assuming that yourself, will not be the host, most people will most likely leave the default setting about traffic. If they switch it that's at their own risk (to f*ck up how the track was meant to be).

For myself, I always make a track the clearer possible, assuming that people could turn traffic on or off. So I'm blocking the road somehow, OR I'm not blocking it (depending on the circumstances, if I -as creator- want traffic on or off).

About that, I have noticed that, sometimes, when you come fast enough near the props, the traffic will "bug" and go through it and notice it after. Which could be a problem.

paulmgrath

Some players like no traffic gran turismo style tracks, while others like being one wrong button press from a wipeout and like driving into oncoming traffic etc

OP i think your in the best position to judge as your the creator so if you feel the track works better with traffic off then use the props to block wrong turns.If you feel better with traffic on dont use them as it glitches the traffic.

My 2 cents anyways

Your the creator create the track YOU want!

Edited by paulmgrath

Original-Gamesta

Try using tire stacks. They can be placed inbetween lanes to allow for traffic if its turned on, and still make good visual references for other players.

kungfuvip

I préfer trafic on. I set it on on all my race and I see no bugs with the custom elements

FR_Player-One

Didn't you notice how bad is the traffic AI in custom made races that includes props ?

Well, I have noticed that the traffic is glitched when you use props near roads.

When for example you place any object, even small, let's say a tire stack, on the side walk, even against the wall (ie not just next to the road), the traffic will stop at it like if it was ON the road.

I created a race earlier and I noticed that while testing it with traffic. I put objects in some corners where I had to turn and everytime (or 9 out of 10), there had a car stopped right there, at all the props near the road.
I deleted them and that "fixed" the traffic.

Aizcold

I almost always race with traffic off and use tire stacks or tire lines in corners to prevent people from cutting corners. But then I'm part of a clean racing crew, some people may just get annoyed when they can't cut a corner.

I do have to say that the traffic system in this game just isn't meant for racing. You'll often have cars sliding over the road right at you, suddenly turning just in front of you, or pulling out of an intersection or something. Switching traffic on just makes races more about luck than about skill. The only time I'll sometimes have traffic on is on point to point races in which there aren't many turns that would have you driving on the wrong side of the road. Everything else just sucks with traffic.

LuapYllier

I almost always race with traffic off and use tire stacks or tire lines in corners to prevent people from cutting corners. But then I'm part of a clean racing crew, some people may just get annoyed when they can't cut a corner.

I do have to say that the traffic system in this game just isn't meant for racing. You'll often have cars sliding over the road right at you, suddenly turning just in front of you, or pulling out of an intersection or something. Switching traffic on just makes races more about luck than about skill. The only time I'll sometimes have traffic on is on point to point races in which there aren't many turns that would have you driving on the wrong side of the road. Everything else just sucks with traffic.

I hear this notion a lot about people placing props to stop corner cutting...im not really sure why it is so important to some to do this though. What is wrong with cutting corners? An example I can think of is those red and white edges on the insides of turns on real formula one tracks...they arent really even on the pavement but the drivers use every possible inch of those things to squeeze a bit more out of a corner. Its a natural part of racing for the most part. Not saying I havent done it before but I have also undone it on a few tracks for I realised it can just as easily be controlled using the checkpoint itself and no need for obstructive props. The other element is that cutting corners often makes for smoother turns, more speed, more fun...and passing opportunities. Edited by LuapYllier

Aizcold

Cutting corners isn't too bad if it involves cutting over some part of the pavement or something to get the best line in the corner. That is professional racing drivers do as well, as you pointed out. But it can get annoying if people cut through large parts of a field or generally just cut the corner completely. It also causes crashes sometimes.

In my opinion it just ruins the fun of racing in the sense that racing should be about who judges the lines of the corner the best, brakes on time, accelerates out of the corner best and so on. If you just cut the corner you won't get the thrill of judging it just right and won't enjoy the track the way it should be enjoyed.

Terrato137

My track I made is very unsuitable with traffic, the amount of frustration caused by traffic would make anyone pop a lid, thus, I closed most of it off.

Some players like no traffic gran turismo style tracks

And I would be one of them.

stronktank

Yeah, LuapYllier: The cutting corner thing can perfectly be adjusted with moving your checkpoint.

My opinion on the traffic and props:

Props: Only when they are usefull, meaning helping you see short corners or bouncing you in the right direction. Even as a decorative aspect, but mostly it leads to overkill. I am very fond of the dynamic props though.

Traffic: I like traffic on with races that follow roads. Meaning the checkpoints are on the right side of the road and you're not crossing sudden roads. Meaning I put traffic off if the 'luck'-factor of hitting a random traffic car gets too big. And to be honest, putting traffic on in general makes the luck-factor raise to the double.

mo-seph

I hear this notion a lot about people placing props to stop corner cutting...im not really sure why it is so important to some to do this though. What is wrong with cutting corners? An example I can think of is those red and white edges on the insides of turns on real formula one tracks...they arent really even on the pavement but the drivers use every possible inch of those things to squeeze a bit more out of a corner. Its a natural part of racing for the most part. Not saying I havent done it before but I have also undone it on a few tracks for I realised it can just as easily be controlled using the checkpoint itself and no need for obstructive props. The other element is that cutting corners often makes for smoother turns, more speed, more fun...and passing opportunities.

totally agree, placing immovable objects on corners is a danger of causing pileups and personally i would move the checkpoint further from the apex if you dont want people cutting in tooo far... although creating content to force someone into a specific line is a no-no for me, i like to be able to a) choose my line based on my driving style b) adjust my chosen line dpeending on other races and c) have a "tolerance" for error in the line

having props placed that take away either a b or c for me can really upset an otherwise well chose route, well placed check points and other good use of props....

Yeah, LuapYllier: The cutting corner thing can perfectly be adjusted with moving your checkpoint.

My opinion on the traffic and props:

Props: Only when they are usefull, meaning helping you see short corners or bouncing you in the right direction. Even as a decorative aspect, but mostly it leads to overkill. I am very fond of the dynamic props though.

Traffic: I like traffic on with races that follow roads. Meaning the checkpoints are on the right side of the road and you're not crossing sudden roads. Meaning I put traffic off if the 'luck'-factor of hitting a random traffic car gets too big. And to be honest, putting traffic on in general makes the luck-factor raise to the double.

i do like the use of props, i jsut wish the texture rendering for small props was better, the draw distance leaves a lot to be desired and when your at 150mph on a bike, super or sports car, then tyre lines and small concrete barriers only render at the last minute, making them more of a hazard than a help... i love the look of tyre lines in GP style races, but the limitations of console hardware really let this down...

as for traffic i like the option, sometime i want a "track" style race, where its just you and the other drivers,,, sometimes i like a "street" style race dodging and weaving between traffic, more so on smooth flowing p2p races where there's not much technical cornering and long line of sight, traffic can add an extra dimension of situational awareness....

djdest

If you are thoughtful with the checkpoint positioning you should never really need anything to "steer" the racer in a certain direction, as them heading towards the next point will do that for you.

Just remember the most important thing for a fast paced race, and that is the checkpoints need to flow seamlessly.

As soon as you go over a checkpoint the next should be visible in the distance, not hidden around a bend or junction which could create the issue of wondering where to go, and you feeling the need to block roads.

Check any R* created race and you will see they are all very smooth and flowing

mo-seph

If you are thoughtful with the checkpoint positioning you should never really need anything to "steer" the racer in a certain direction, as them heading towards the next point will do that for you.

Just remember the most important thing for a fast paced race, and that is the checkpoints need to flow seamlessly.

As soon as you go over a checkpoint the next should be visible in the distance, not hidden around a bend or junction which could create the issue of wondering where to go, and you feeling the need to block roads.

Check any R* created race and you will see they are all very smooth and flowing

exactly, between the natural terrain (roads fences etc) and properly positions checkpoints the track should be logical and easy to follow... sometimes the checkpoint doesnt need to be visible (although always recommended) provided the path of the road is obvious and the lack of visibilty isnt a detriment to the driver

however sticking to the "1 head" rule is always good to make your tracks flow properly... and blocking choice with props is (IMO) a little narrow minded as not everyone will race in the same style as the creator and not every car chandles in the same way, some cars require a little extra in the corners to be handled correctly, as some cars need the driver to accommodate oversteer, some the under.... thats just the way it goes.

Cuz05

On corner cutting, I think a combination of prop and CP can work but the main thing is allowing for a 'nice' line through it. I'm happy to take a wheel off the road to achieve that and being prevented from doing something that feels natural by a barrier can be irritating. Equally, I had a few occasions where taking a tight line has seen me miss a wide CP, that's kind of annoying too. I think most sensible creators can respect the balance but it can be as little as a foot out and cause a problem one way or another. CP placement is the main consideration imo.

Traffic. Used to prefer it but I hate it these days. My lap races are strictly traffic off, I've blocked roads all over the place. I don't do it to force a turn, I prefer to use them a little way off the track to serve as a visual clue. There are situations, mostly on wide intersections, where a checkpoint can seem small so I felt sticking a big orange trailer across 1 or 2 other options might help to narrow the field of view.

Another time I use them is to block or indicate tight turns or alleys, I've mostly made bike races so leaving the main road to blast down an alley is an attractive option and its not normally particularly obvious from CPs alone. Once you're in them then a few props are sometimes necessary to clean them up a bit.

Tbh, I dont know whether I've gone overboard with them at times, difficult to get such detailed feedback. I do take care not to position them where they interfere with the course at all and I don't like to clutter the scenery.

I have one section in a race where you pass thru a car park, options where limited for the course, so I used striped concrete to force a turn thru the tarmac entrance, otherwise it was a straight line across a grass strip into the park.

I do however, have a bike race with no props, its a simple lap and every turn was clear enough on its own.

I've got one PtP. No props and traffic on is very much a part of the experience to me in that one, I like the idea of a PtP being a journey rather than a race.