4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

True Detective on HBO

Voodoo

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Didn't think it was possible but the episode kept on getting better and better as it went on.

At first I think it's all good, they got a plan and they're going to be fine. But nope things don't go their way and it escalates dramatically.

Loved this shot:

ki60l9I.png?1

Finale thoughts spoilers:

The feels came at the end when Ray couldn't send his son that voice message, damn.

I'm happy that Chad was his legitimate son, especially after how much he loved him and he wasn't sure if he was his or not. Not that he gave a sh*t anyway. Chad was his son in his eyes.

It was neat to see Woodrugh got a highway named after him, that's all he really wanted to be was a highway cop on his motorbike.

The raid scene with Frank and Ray was executed perfectly. Smoke em out and gun em down, ruthless. Oh and when Frank went up to the Russian "Guess I was wrong. It was today.” Pop pop with the pistol, savage.

Frank changing the money into diamonds was clever, shame it got him killed. He wasn't going to give up his suit with his $3.5m in it.

I also liked how he was a great character from what I first saw of him in the beginning. Vince Vaughn absolutely killed it and surpassed my expectations.

The conservation between Frank and Ani was amusing, "You like Ray? I like Ray".

I wish Burris died, that weasel c*nt.

That baby at the end is Ray's and Ani's right? Ray left behind two kids then, damn.

You don't always see a finale like this, the villains won and the main protagonists died. Except Ani of course, which I'm happy about. She gets a fresh start at life with her and Rays kid.

Thoughts on the season as a whole, the beginning few episodes were pretty weak and the story was overly complicated with a lot of different arcs.

But the final few episodes definitely make up for it.

I was skeptical at first, too. Everything irked me, really. The intro, the pace, the slightly too widely grasping and seemingly over complicated story arcs, as you mention. All a matter of annoyance - at first. I would almost say that the whole show redeemed itself in the last episodes. As a whole, it was quite a f*cking ride, and the finale wouldn't have been as iconic, if the show hadn't started and evolved as it did. Wouldn't change a thing.

That scene with Frank in the desert. I didn't actually notice the grave they had dug for him at first, but when I did, it made sense that he wouldn't take off his suit. Why should he? He was a dead man, and he knew it. Might as well die in his own shoes, with the diamonds he worked so hard to get, in his pocket, and a bit of dignity. Did anyone else think Harry Potter, as he was walking along, his loved one, and "parent" at his side? Don't know why that sprung to mind, haha.

Such hamfisted bloody melodrama. The shootout, my friends said, was a classic example of plot armour; the next episode pulled me right back in. Pure purple pulp. But it was all undone in the finale; became a cookie cutter solid gold turd. Tonally, this season was f*cking spot on, the horror tropes playing out just awkwardly enough to not be funny, keep a tense lid on expectations. But storytelling? This episode felt like a goddamned student film complete with a friggin' dream sequence. At least Southern Gothic has an air of mystique; organised crime and sex parties come off like rich fratboys dabbling in vice. Had the end not been such a complete play-by-play pulp novel heart wrencher, complete with femme fatales ont he f*cking lam, I'd have forgivent he lack of McConaughey's psuedo-intellectual psychobabble. But what was I to expect? The first season wrapped up like a god-damned thriller of the week, too.

Cool shootemup though. I didn't hate it as much as this sounds, but I was severely let down. "everything worked out," he says, purple sunrise blooming behind him - we did it! No, hubris man, we all know it didn't. And won't.

We don't even send astronauts tot he moon no more.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Didn't think it was possible but the episode kept on getting better and better as it went on.

At first I think it's all good, they got a plan and they're going to be fine. But nope things don't go their way and it escalates dramatically.

Loved this shot:

ki60l9I.png?1

Finale thoughts spoilers:

The feels came at the end when Ray couldn't send his son that voice message, damn.

I'm happy that Chad was his legitimate son, especially after how much he loved him and he wasn't sure if he was his or not. Not that he gave a sh*t anyway. Chad was his son in his eyes.

It was neat to see Woodrugh got a highway named after him, that's all he really wanted to be was a highway cop on his motorbike.

The raid scene with Frank and Ray was executed perfectly. Smoke em out and gun em down, ruthless. Oh and when Frank went up to the Russian "Guess I was wrong. It was today.” Pop pop with the pistol, savage.

Frank changing the money into diamonds was clever, shame it got him killed. He wasn't going to give up his suit with his $3.5m in it.

I also liked how he was a great character from what I first saw of him in the beginning. Vince Vaughn absolutely killed it and surpassed my expectations.

The conservation between Frank and Ani was amusing, "You like Ray? I like Ray".

I wish Burris died, that weasel c*nt.

That baby at the end is Ray's and Ani's right? Ray left behind two kids then, damn.

You don't always see a finale like this, the villains won and the main protagonists died. Except Ani of course, which I'm happy about. She gets a fresh start at life with her and Rays kid.

Thoughts on the season as a whole, the beginning few episodes were pretty weak and the story was overly complicated with a lot of different arcs.

Yeah nice little touch about Woodrow. I'm certain the boy was Ray and Ani's as she says something about getting the evidence out there "for his sons". That scene between Ani and Ray on the phone before he goes to see his son was just tragic; for the first time in the series both of them are smiling genuinely and have something to live for, but you know that Ray's almost certainly going to die. Frank was an excellent character--I was skeptical of Vaughn but he nailed it. The first few episodes were slow but, as Az rightly points out, that buildup was necessary. Everything came together nicely and I loved the characters. I do get Otter's reservations though. The first season was laden with mystique, derelict beauty and a pervasive sense of unease unmatched by any other TV show. The tantalising allusions to Gothic horror literature, the profound but relevant philosophising, the exceptional leads and unflinchingly dark subject basically meant that the first season was unbeatable, but I really enjoyed the second season too. It was a bit pulpy I'll grant you, but the show boldly stuck to its central themes until the end. I'd also argue that the first season had more than its fair share of pulp (I think that gritty realism is getting a bit tiresome to be honest).

It's clear to me that most of the occult references in the first half of this season were just red herrings. I admire the change of pace and more grounded storyline, but I did miss the sense of unease with which the first season was absolutely laden.

Edited by Failure
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Season 3 Teaser out. Marked for a January 2019 release.

From the little it reveals it does look more confined in plot. I expect it'll be more engaging than Series 2.

"I want to know the whole story"
me too mate

On 7/27/2017 at 4:40 PM, ARTHUR. said:

Sweet, been thirsting for True Detective after watching Prisoners. I look forward to it.

Prisoners is a great film. Remember seeing it when it came out. It's long but always tense and gripping. 

Glad to hear True Detective 3 is finally coming. Looks great. Love the setting. 

Edited by Mister Pink